HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          5 Greatest Dolphins Games
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
5 Greatest Dolphins Games
Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: February 08, 2012 02:20AM

What do you think the five greatest Dolphins games have been?

I going:

1. Superbowl to cap off perfect season
2. Beating the Bears on the Monday night cap to prevent THEIR perfect season
3. Marino's fake spike game at the Meadowlands beating the Jets
4. AFC Championship game against the Jets beating Gastaneau and Co.
5. Overtime playoff loss to San Diego. Yes they lost but still one of the most exciting games ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 Greatest Dolphins Games
Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 08, 2012 03:18AM

1 Superbowl VII, undefeated season

2 Superbowl VIII, not a 'great' game in the excitement factor but 'great' in that we thoroughly destroyed the most feared defense of the time. The Vikings Purple People eaters, had their lunch eaten.

3 Bears game 1985. I was there, and it was fantastic.

4 Fake Spike game vs. Jets

5 AFC Championship at Steelers, 1972. We were undefeated yet still had to play this as an away game. Larry Seiple fakes a punt without his own team even knowing and ran for 30+ yards leading to a TD drive. Griese comes back from his injury relieving Morrall at second half and executes the win. Fantastic game.

Can I have a tie at #5? Longest Game 1971 vs Chiefs.

Honorable mention: Snow Bowl vs Dallas, circa 1992,

I know it's old timer-ish of me to load up on old games like that, but that's how I see it.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 08, 2012 05:26AM

1- the epic loss to SD IN THE '81 playoffs. I think it's the greatest football game ever played.

2- Super Bowl VII

3 - Super Bowll VIII

4 - ending the Bears run at perfection in '86.

5 - the 1971 divisional playoff win over KC in the longest NFL game in history.

Honorable mention goes to the Leon lett/ice bowl game in Dallas, the mud bowl AFC championship over the jets and fake spike win over the jets

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: February 08, 2012 07:22AM

All great games listed above. One that I would put into my top 5 is the 1977 Thanksgiving day game. St. Louis was a very good team and we were expected to lose.

Nov 24, 1977. Thanskgiving day in St. Louis.

Every little deatil of that game fell our way.

From the internet:

"The Dolphins made the Cardinals wish they had never played that 1977 game.

That day, the Dolphins set team records for points and yards (503) while Bob Griese became the first NFL quarterback since 1972 to throw six touchdown passes in a game.

The Dolphins also rushed for 295 yards against a Cardinals team that actually was pretty good — St. Louis came into the game with a 7-3 record."

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: February 08, 2012 07:49AM

Wow, lots of great memories here - I think you guys have the games covered...

I guess my biggest single memory of the past is two parts:

#1 the absolute BRUTAL POWER and supreme poetry of our running game with Csonka, Morris... That OL was a work of art.

Peeps forget, if that team wasn't busted up by the UFL or whatever sham league, we would have (most likely) won 2 or 3 more SB's in a row.

#2 the first time I saw Dan Marino whip that arm and shoot perfect bullseyes 30 yards down-field. Dan's first few years where beyond description and he just absolutely dominated from a level no one has even been close to.

BNF.

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: February 08, 2012 10:24AM

After the 2nd Super Bowl win, Cszonka, Kiick, and Warfield left which kind of paved the way for the Pittsburgh years. If those guys had stayed I think things would have been different.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 08, 2012 10:27AM

All of you have proved that there are more than FIVE greatest games.

Date: February 08, 2012 10:42AM

True. The Miami Dolphins were synonymous with GREAT GAMES, and in the 70's (my golly so MANY years ago now) their brand of FOOTBALL was the best the NFL has ever seen.

The ultimate TEAM concept matched with brute power, intelligence, outstanding coaching, discipline, supreme professionalism, and dominance within the rules.

NO cheating. No shams. No flag football. And of course, NO LADY's allowed!

BNF.

Posted by: xynz ()
Date: February 08, 2012 02:49PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 08, 2012 03:17PM

funny none of these games are from this century. only "epic" game from this century is the monday night meltdown vs the jets which is memorable for all the wrong reasons.
What are 5 best since 2000?

having a hard time coming up with them

playoff win vs colts (lamar smith 200 yard game)

others???

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 08, 2012 03:56PM

This is a sad thread. None of the games are within the last 30 years.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 08, 2012 04:28PM

A&O need some hugs???

The Bears game wasn't 30 years ago, and we should be PROUD of the remarkable heritage this team once had - albeit a tad dated and slightly behind the times...

Most of us 'round here are Dolphin fans is arrears.

BNF. And LOL.

But hey A&O, you can look forward to Matt Moore's steady development under the guidance of Philbin & Co. and maybe Flynn for good measure.

Don't worry - the day of the Dolphin is coming. Soon!

Date: February 08, 2012 05:21PM

you're right, the bears game wasn't 30 years ago, it was 27!

Date: February 08, 2012 05:48PM

Lol....yea 27.

---------------------

Date: February 08, 2012 05:52PM

27 seems so young now, doesn't it?

I saw the Don the other day on video - the man is definitely OLD...

But there's no doubt he deserved an expressway, a sting of restaurants and Mafia boss named after him...

I remember the amazing days at the Orange Bowl - it was so HOT and Flipper had his own little pool to stay cool...

Different wOrld and definitely a different NFL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 05:53PM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: February 09, 2012 07:43AM

I'll make my list of the top 5 regular season games:
11/5/78 Cowboys at Dolphins -Defending Champs come into Miami, and go down 17-0 in the first qtr before a 4:00 national CBS audience. Cowboys make a game of it, and Miami prevails 23-16.
11/27/94 Dolphins at jets -the fake spike game.
9/21/08 Dolphins at Patriots -the DOlphins debut the "wildcat" and humiliate NE at home.
12/2/85 Bears at Dolphins- Bears roll into Miami Undefeated, leave with their only loss of the season.
9/4/94 Patriots at Dolphins Dan Marino returns from his Achilles injury and wins a 39-35 shootout vs Drew Brees.
Many others just miss the cut (a couple of Thanksgiving games vs Dallas), but these are my top 5. smileys with beer

Date: February 09, 2012 08:15AM

December 30, 2000.....Lamar Smith carries our team on his back with 40 carries and 200+ yards to beat the Colts in an Overtime playoff game and gets no consideration in this?

---------------------

Date: February 09, 2012 08:43AM

that's the only game I was able to come up with, in a list of the best games since 2000.

I still remember that idiot Wannstedt jumped on his back during the locker room celebration, as though Smith wasn't exhausted enough after carrying 40 times and we had a game against the Raiders less than a week later (of course we got blown out)

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 09, 2012 09:33AM

BobT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 9/4/94 Patriots at Dolphins Dan Marino returns
> from his Achilles injury and wins a 39-35 shootout
> vs Drew Brees.

I'm gunna go out on a limb here and say that Drew Brees was 15 years old when that game was played.

I never saw the game, but my guess would be it's Doug Flutie that you're referring to?

Date: February 09, 2012 09:52AM

drew bledsoe of course, not brees or flutie. I saw that game in college in Boston with a ton of Pats fans it was SWEET!

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: February 09, 2012 11:37AM

Whoops- Yes Bledsoe, not Brees- wrong Drew spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 09, 2012 11:52AM

Its got to be beating the bears which was the only team that could had tied the undefeated season.......

Thats the only thing we have to hold on ....the undefeated season....thats why i say it was this game.

Nothing beats the undefeated season.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 09, 2012 11:55AM

And if you guys are saying when we beat the colts and lamar smith ran for 200 then you also have to consider the other playoff game against the colts....

remember at the end when marino was hit in the arm and they called it an incomplete pass instead of a fumble....Was that a playoff game?

I know it was a game to remember.

Date: February 09, 2012 12:11PM

not a playoff game

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 09, 2012 05:14PM

I'm not old enough to have any real memories of Super Bowls VII or VIII.

More than 5, I know, but can't help it.

I was glad to see someone else mention Thanksgiving Day against the Cardinals. Bob Griese threw for 6 TDs, and had several chances to break the record, but we wound up running the ball in those last 2 TDs.

11/30/81- Don Strock leads a late rally on MNF against the Eagles. He ties the game with a TD to Duriel Harris, and Harris injures his knee spiking the ball. The Orange Bowl was going crazy, and Ron Jaworski kept having to appeal to the refs because he couldn't hear because of the crowd. It led to confusion, and an INT by Lyle Blackwood. Uwe Von Schamann then kicked the game winning FG.

The playoff game vs San Diego in that same season. Unbelievable game, even though it was a painful loss.

1982 AFC Championship Game against the Jets, with AJ Duhe's 3 INT in the mud bowl. Dick Enber call- "What a game for Duhe!"

1984 AFC Championship Game, as Dan the Man lit up the Steelers with 5 TD passes.

1985, MNF against the Bears. Huge upset, great game.

1990, playoffs vs KC. Dan leads an incredible 4th quarter rally, not throwing one incompletion in the entire quarter. He capped with an unbelievably placed perfect pass to Mark Clayton. The Chiefs blitzed, All Pro CB Albert Lewis was all over Clayton, but Dan put the ball in the only spot Clayton could get to it. Live, it looked like Lewis had picked it off, that's how it close it was. But, somehow, Clayton maintained concentration, caught it, and turned upfield for the TD. Maybe the single best pass I ever saw Dan throw.

1992, first round playoff game versus San Diego. A total dominating effort in all facets of the game. Dick Enberg- "initercepted by Louis Oliver, and he's on his way to Lake Okechobee!"

1993, Snow Bowl game against Dallas on Turkey Day. Dick Enberg call- "oh no, not Leon Lett!"

1994, season opener, Dan's comeback from the Achilles injury with 5 TD against the Pats. Throwing a bomb to Fryar, on an improvised play, for the winning TD on a 4th and 5 is one of the ballsiest moments I can remember. They got to the line, Dan saw one on one coverage with a rookie CB, and Fryar said "Dan gave me the look, and I knew that meant he wanted me to go deep."

11/27/94- the fake spike game against the Jets. Dan throws 4 second half TDs to Mark Ingram in the amazing comeback. This is the famous moment when we came out at halftime throwing the ball with great success, and then Gary Stevens sends in a running play. And Dan tells the huddle, "we aren't f-ing running the ball again until we're ahead." And he made good on that.

The debut of the Wildcat against the Pats in 2008. I live in New England, and to watch the Pats get crushed like that at home, it was very, very sweet.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 09, 2012 06:08PM

Best games in the last 10 years? Maybe week 3 of the 08 season when we unleashed the wildcat and stunned, and I mean STUNNED the patriots in their own house dominating them to win the game and set of a mean winning streak that culminated in a season that resulted in our first playoff appearance in years (despite get trounced by the Ravens the first week of those playoffs)

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 09, 2012 07:25PM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 09, 2012 11:39PM

I wish Dan was immortal and still playing to this day. It's amazing how irreplaceable he's been for this team. Makes me sick.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: February 10, 2012 03:54AM

Definetly the SD game even though we lost, I remember that game

Date: February 10, 2012 04:57AM

LOL....patsfan1 chooses a game we lost. Go figure.

---------------------

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.