HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Peyton Manning wants to come to Miami?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Peyton Manning wants to come to Miami?
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 04, 2012 08:10AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peyton Manning wants to come to Miami?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 04, 2012 10:43AM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 04, 2012 12:04PM

Playoffs here we come.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 04, 2012 04:16PM

Chyren, it is all risk vs reward... Right now, Ross needs to get alot of money to build a roof on the stadium, and he needs to sell tickets.. He is probably in desperation mode to a certain extent, he has as a failing business, and the business and marketing plan he executed when he took over, has hardly yielded positive results, let alone what he was looking for in results... In the sports business, you have to win, all the other crap is secondary... IF money is of no concern, and you are willing to pay for your mistakes with cash rather then draft picks... Then you take the chance on peyton is you can sign a deal that makes your risks and rewards seem in check... All that being said, I would still go after RG3, either way..

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 04, 2012 04:31PM

I bet if we sign Channing Crowder it will sell out our stadium, and we could build that roof!! Wait...he wont play for us!

grinning smiley

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 04, 2012 04:50PM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: February 04, 2012 07:10PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Otherwise it reminded me of a certain presidential
> candidate who said, "If a guy came to me as CEO of
> my company and wanted to spend trillions on
> establishing a colony on the moon, I'd say,
> 'You're fired.'" .

Mitt may not agree with Newt, but Newt isn't so far-fetched. Kennedy had the foresight to envision us on the moon and our technology then was pitiful compared to now. A space station already exits so it will happen one day and I would prefer it be the U.S. instead of China. The bottom line is that NASA and space travel have been the catalysts to many great scientific and technological innovations. I hate that Obama has minimized our role in this field and would love to see us once again be the vanguard.

Date: February 05, 2012 07:28AM

Don't argue with me, Jonathan. Of the two of them I'd prefer Newt by a country mile. The last thing we need is a George W. Bush WITHOUT THE historical and political perspective of his grandfather Senator Prescott Bush.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 05, 2012 08:21AM

this makes me much more willing to roll the dice on manning:

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Manning is willing to structure his next deal in a way that will get him on a new team sooner rather than later. He is, per Schefter, open to a deal that would entail little or no guaranteed money and significant performance-based incentives.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 05, 2012 08:34AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> this makes me much more willing to roll the dice
> on manning:
>
>
> Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Manning is
> willing to structure his next deal in a way that
> will get him on a new team sooner rather than
> later. He is, per Schefter, open to a deal that
> would entail little or no guaranteed money and
> significant performance-based incentives.

seems like Peyton understands and is willing to make the risk vs reward come into balance...

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 05, 2012 08:39AM

peyton will be totally fired up to stick it to the colts and show he's still the best QB in the league. His willingness to be flexible with guaranteed money is a very good sign

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 05, 2012 10:37AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> peyton will be totally fired up to stick it to the
> colts and show he's still the best QB in the
> league. His willingness to be flexible with
> guaranteed money is a very good sign

Its his only option if he wants to sign asap and get as much of a jump on learning a new system as possible.

He's not in a position to command big guaranteed money when free agency kicks off. He'd have to wait until he was healthy to have that kind of leverage.

This is exactly the type of contract I was talking about the other day. One that has little money up front and the bulk of the money due as a roster bonus if he's on the roster on opening day.

I'm just glad to see that Manning isn't all about the money. That winning is more important. That just reinforces my belief that he will also take less money, and isn't looking for top dollar from his new team.

Date: February 05, 2012 11:18AM

Date: February 05, 2012 11:48AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> One that has little money up front and the bulk of
> the money due as a roster bonus if he's on the
> roster on opening day.
>
> Substitute the last day of the season. I wouldn't
> sign him just on the basis that he survives unto
> opening day. I'd say if he makes it to the last
> day of the season and has started every game,
> hell, I'd pay him what Indy was paying him. .

Good luck with that one.

Date: February 05, 2012 05:26PM

Well then, I wouldn't take the gamble.

Date: February 05, 2012 05:37PM

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 05, 2012 05:40PM

If Manning comes to miami we have at least 5 if not 6 prime time evening games on national tv. I say Ross open up the checkbook, and Manning come on down.

Date: February 05, 2012 06:53PM

Date: February 06, 2012 04:06AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> To TT.
>
> Well, I don't think Tonya Harding is too realistic
> here. .
>
> But if I don't think it's unfair to demand that he
> gets his salary from last year from Indy, maybe on
> a proportional basis with the number of games he
> starts.

Now that isn't an unfair solution. In fact I think its kind of what Manning is saying now.

But giving him a contract with benchmarks that pay him x,y or z based on how many games he plays is not what you suggested before. Its a long way from paying him nothing if he doesnt play every game this season.

>
> You and I think differently. I'm not willing to
> commit even a spot to him and he goes out and
> gets injured in the second game of the season and
> then you're up that famous creek without a paddle.

To each his own. But I'm going to listen to the Doctors. All reports to date indicate that the neck fusion is NOT an issue going forward. That he no more likely to suffer a neck injury next year than Eli Manning ...or Matt Flynn is.

The issue is nerve regeneration and arm strength. It either comes back or it doesn't.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 06, 2012 06:50AM

Someone will pay him without any of those restrictions. Snyder of Washington comes to mind.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 06, 2012 11:49AM

If manning comes down here hopefully the OL will hold their own or else manning will become another culpepper with a fraction of a second to deliver the football.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: February 06, 2012 11:59AM

If Manning does sign with us, I'll bet Ireland drafts 2-3 offensive linemen relatively early.

Posted by: cahokietim ()
Date: February 06, 2012 12:30PM

3 things I haven't heard discussed (admittedly PRO and CON):
1.) Incentive laden contract could also open Peyton up to stay with the Colts.
2.) Marino's last season (a partial season if I remember) could be what is in store for a not fully recovered Peyton
3.) Matt Moore in Miami is a very good compliment for Peyton, everybody wins. Matt's honor in place as a back up to HOF-QB (not to a rookie or a 2 game starter). Peyton has somebody behind him that can keep a team going 2-14 (Earl Morrall anyone?).

I realize these items are both PRO-Peyton-as-a-Dolphin and CON but thought they'd be interesting to include in the dialogue.

Date: February 06, 2012 01:17PM

cahokietim Wrote:
> 3 things I haven't heard discussed (admittedly PRO
> and CON):
> 1.) Incentive laden contract could also open
> Peyton up to stay with the Colts.
> 2.) Marino's last season (a partial season if I
> remember) could be what is in store for a not
> fully recovered Peyton
> 3.) Matt Moore in Miami is a very good compliment
> for Peyton, everybody wins. Matt's honor in place
> as a back up to HOF-QB (not to a rookie or a 2
> game starter). Peyton has somebody behind him
> that can keep a team going 2-14 (Earl Morrall
> anyone?).
>
> I realize these items are both
> PRO-Peyton-as-a-Dolphin and CON but thought they'd
> be interesting to include in the dialogue.

1- I believe that Manning has said he won't restructure his Colts contract. They either commit to him or Luck. If he stays he doesn't want that 1st pick used on another QB who can't help him win.

2- Marino's fall off should be more precipitous than other great QB's becasue he played the bulk of his 30's on one leg. Mannings issue is arm strength. it will either come back or it won't. If it doesn't then he is done already. If it does, then he should be 100% healthy which Marino never was after rupturing his Achilles.

3- Moore would be a great back up to Manning. We'd also be wise to bring in a young QB in the draft that could learn under him. I'd be in favor of going and getting Griffin, but using a 4th or 5th on a QB like Osweiler could be beneficial as well. Of course there's always the chance that Moore could be trade bait if someone loses a QB the way that Houston did this year.

Date: February 06, 2012 02:50PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> If manning comes down here hopefully the OL will
> hold their own or else manning will become
> another culpepper with a fraction of a second to
> deliver the football.

How'd that work out for Moore this year? One of the things I admired about him was the number of passes he could get off while having his jersey ripped off of him. Henne would just get sacked. In other words, we have a very piss poor offensive line and if we don't upgrade it, Peyton's injured and fragile state is not a good option.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: February 06, 2012 04:21PM

Chyren, I think your overblowing the oline thing. Our line is an average RT away from being respectable and probably better than at least half the Olines in the NFL.

Long is a beast.

Pouncey had a good rookie year but definitely hit the rookie wall. He is already one of the better centers in the league and will be better next year.

Carey adapted to RG after about half the season and his play was above average to good from that point on.

Incognito is an average LG.

Colombo sucked.

So, like I said, if we can replace Colombo with at least an average player then we will be much improved. Also, I am assuming Long will recover from his various injuries to be one of the better LT in the league if no longer the absolute best. With Peyton, I think it becomes much easier to lure veterans to Miami to play for cheaper contracts. Especially all the veterans the Colts will not resign and those they will cut.

One other thing to remember is that for the last few seasons the Colts have fielded an average OL and at times a bad OL. However, Peyton remained one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL. He is exceptionally good at avoiding the pass rush and getting the ball out quickly.

Our OL will be an upgrade from the Colts OL. In fact, I'm sure Peyton would look forward to assurance of Jake Long protecting his blind side. Plus, he will call all of his own protections which will undoubtedly improve the protections considering that either a rookie (pouncey) or first year in the system guy (Moore) were calling protections last year.

Date: February 06, 2012 04:45PM

Yeah 1423, but even reading your post above we need help at OL, even if just in two spots. Hey, an o-line is like a canteen, if it leaks, it leaks no matter how small the leak is. I'd say that second to a QB, O-line is the next priority, wouldn't you?

Or would you go RB?

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 06, 2012 05:17PM

The o-line issue is a little tough. Yes, it's a major problem, but surprisingly, we may have in-house answers. Incognito actually played better this year than last, so he's about adequate at LG. Vernon Carey did adapt to the RG position as the year went on, and was actually ok in the second half. He's a free agent, but you know he doesn't want to leave Miami. He can be signed for less than his market value.

John Jerry worked hard on his footwork, and actually held his own while filling in for both Carey and Long at different times during the season. If he can get in better shape, and continue this hard work, he may deserve a shot at RT. His play at LT was not nearly as good as some made it out to be, but he wasn't terrible. And the wildcard is Lydon Murtha. Murtha had a solid preseason filling in for Long, and he was going to be the starter at RT until he got injured. If he is healthy, the front office may be comfortable going into the year with him and Jerry battling at RT.

Date: February 07, 2012 04:18AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Yeah 1423, but even reading your post above we
> need help at OL, even if just in two spots. Hey,
> an o-line is like a canteen, if it leaks, it leaks
> no matter how small the leak is. I'd say that
> second to a QB, O-line is the next priority,
> wouldn't you?
>
> Or would you go RB?

RB isn't a priority. We need a 3rd guy who contributes on special teams.

Top 4 things we absolutely HAVE to upgrade this offseason are:

QB
RT
PASS RUSH (olb or de)
TE (who can stretch the seem)

If we fill those 4 issues without creating other needs in the process we could be really good.

If we are fortunate to address 3 or even all 4 of them in free agency we'll be set up to work the draft process for extra picks.

Date: February 07, 2012 10:29AM

Which was my point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.