HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Manning career over??
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Manning career over??
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:25AM

Hello all, has anyone seen the reports that came out overnite stating people in the loop are very concerned Manning will have to retire?? I dont know what to make of this, is it just smoke??
Here is my question:
Who do the phins get if Peyton is out??
I know everyone is enamored with flynn but what if you cant get him?? there is no way we get rg3 or luck so where is our elite qb gonna come from?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Manning career over??
Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: January 31, 2012 04:36AM

For all the shoulda, coulda, wouldas. The fact remains that we may not get an "elite" QB this year.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 31, 2012 04:42AM

we will end up with either (1) flynn (2) RG3 or (3) Tennehill/Weedon

I think I want them in that order. RG3 would be great but we'd have to give up too much and while I think he will be a very good player, there's also a bust risk there that isn't there with Luck. Not really impressed with any of the other possible rookies.

manning is done.

Date: January 31, 2012 05:16AM

So be it then. Hell of a run.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 31, 2012 07:24AM

I'm just glad this came out now before we signed Manning. Just knock that option off the list.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 31, 2012 08:16AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> we will end up with either (1) flynn (2) RG3 or
> (3) Tennehill/Weedon
>
> I think I want them in that order. RG3 would be
> great but we'd have to give up too much and while
> I think he will be a very good player, there's
> also a bust risk there that isn't there with Luck.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: January 31, 2012 09:09AM

Word seems that while his neck has healed as expected, that his arm isn't healthy at all. He started throwing again in December, but he has shown zero improvement in regards to the velocity of his throws up to this point. We all know how that translates at this level. There is a good chance, given that rumors of his arm health in relation to the nerve damage done in conjuction to his neck, that Peyton will never play again and if he does, he wont have the arm to be anything close to what he was.

However, and this is a BIG if, if he has any chance he will be able to return at a successful level and play again, that Peyton will be one of a few people on this planet with the drive in him to accomplish it. Given that situation I think we can't count the man out, until he steps up to the podium and says enough is enough.

Many analysts are saying he will be released before March 8, the date of his massive salary bonus payment due date. I expect to see news that is more official than what we've been fed so far by the beginning of March. Anything up to that is just rumors, smoke, and should be debated with the word IF before all guesses.

Personally I think that if Miami takes a shot on someone with injury history like Pennington, they won't have much hesitancy with Peyton. It's my own personally wish that the man retire. As much as I'd love to see him behind center again, as his performances can best be described as art, I'd rather keep those images of him than see him flounder in an ill advised comeback from an injury that if reaggrivated could land him in a wheelchair or worse.

Date: January 31, 2012 09:29AM

difference between payton's injury and penny's or any others is he has nerve damage. unlike muscles and joints, nerves may never heal. there's really nothing he can do therapy wise, the nerve will regenerate or it won't. it hasn't yet.

Posted by: Ihatebrady ()
Date: January 31, 2012 10:52AM

While that is true for the most part, the body often times has ways of re-routing nerve signals based on drive or need.

He can probably get back to where he was before... the question really should be how long will it take and is he willing to do the work to get there at this stage in his career?

That being said... unless he's completely healthy, I'd hate to see Miami sign him for anything more than a back up ala Kurt Warner.

berkeley223 Wrote:
> difference between payton's injury and penny's or
> any others is he has nerve damage. unlike muscles
> and joints, nerves may never heal. there's really
> nothing he can do therapy wise, the nerve will
> regenerate or it won't. it hasn't yet.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 31, 2012 12:20PM

Manning seems to think he's coming back.

Said on ESPN today that he's encouraged with the progress and what the Doctors are telling him.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:51PM

Now what happens in this scenario:

Manning's injury is still in full effect when March 8th comes around. The Colts release him. Manning (let's say by his own admission as well as the doctors who are working with him) is physically unable to perform to the point that he is unable to pass any teams physical, but his nerve regeneration process does end up occuring fully and he gets back to full health, only it happens say mid-November of next season.

1. Does Manning retire if he isn't healthy in time to be able to get signed by and play for a team at the start of this upcoming season?

2. Does he hold out hope and continue rehabing while just being a completely wide-open unsigned free agent who isn't on any teams roster for an entire year?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 31, 2012 07:02PM

Ihatebrady Wrote:
> While that is true for the most part, the body
> often times has ways of re-routing nerve signals
> based on drive or need.
>
I've only heard of this within the brain itself, where a damaged part can be bypassed and the person can recover completely. As for nerves, all I've heard of is very minor cases, where some quadriplegics can get very limited use of their arms back...but that's VERY limited. In Peyton's case, if it's truly nerve damage, then he's done. He won't be superstar-caliber anymore. On the other hand, do expect him to come back and coach soon!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 31, 2012 08:02PM

Eli is playing in the SuperBowl and this week, at least, should be HIS.

Maybe Big Brother wants to wait until the SuperBowl is over to make his retirement announcement so as not to distract from what should Eli's week (win or lose).

Date: February 01, 2012 05:23AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Eli is playing in the SuperBowl and this week, at
> least, should be HIS.
>
> Maybe Big Brother wants to wait until the
> SuperBowl is over to make his retirement
> announcement so as not to distract from what
> should Eli's week (win or lose).

Manning isn't retiring. If you saw the interview on ESPN yesterday there's no way you would think he was even considering it.

He did say that there won't be any announcement on his situation with the colts until after this week.

This isn't a neck injury issue. There are guys that have had this injury/surgery and played MLB with no I'll effects. Once the fusion has healed he has no more risk of a neck injury than any other QB on any other team.

This is all about the nerve regeneration. If that heals properly he will regain all the strength in his arm and he'll be 100%. If it doesn't then it becomes a question of to what degree it heals and is his arm strong enough.

The problem for teams that will be interested in him is that come march 8th, you might not know for sure if it's going to heal sufficiently.

You may have to rely on your doctors best projection when deciding how much to offer him if anything at all.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 01, 2012 05:37AM

markschlereth mark schlereth
If I was a betting man I'd say Peyton ends up a Redskin and they throw Wayne for good measure! Talk amongst yourselves...

Now if the Browns would just sign Flynn, that would leave RG3 to us!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 01, 2012 07:42AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Manning isn't retiring. If you saw the interview
> on ESPN yesterday there's no way you would think
> he was even considering it.
>
>

True, unless he has the same media coach as Nick Saban!

Date: February 01, 2012 07:48AM

No, I didn't see the interview but as Finshady would know to quote "Don't believe the HYPE!"

Date: February 01, 2012 08:47AM

Panteraize Wrote:

> 1. Does Manning retire if he isn't healthy in time
> to be able to get signed by and play for a team at
> the start of this upcoming season?
>
> 2. Does he hold out hope and continue rehabing
> while just being a completely wide-open unsigned
> free agent who isn't on any teams roster for an
> entire year?

Seriously, does anyone have an opinion on this?

If Manning is completely unable to perform and unable to pass a physical in time to get signed by a team, ANY team, for this upcoming season, will he retire? Is it possible that he plays again if he isn't healthy until let's say mid-November of next year? What happens if thats the case? Does Peyton Manning go an entire year as an unsigned free agent who doesn't make it onto any teams roster, only to get healthy and come back after a full season on the couch, to be signed by some team and end up not playing until the 2013 season?

Is this a possible scenario, or does anyone think he will retire if he's not healthy in time to get signed and start for a team in 2012?

Date: February 01, 2012 10:24AM

someone will sign him even if he is hurt to an incentive-laden deal, and hold on to him in hopes he recovers. "someone" includes miami and most other teams. but even if he's hurt he's gonna require a decent bit of gteed money, and that's the rub.

Date: February 01, 2012 12:07PM

Panteraize Wrote:
> Panteraize Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > 1. Does Manning retire if he isn't healthy in
> time
> > to be able to get signed by and play for a team
> at
> > the start of this upcoming season?
> >
> > 2. Does he hold out hope and continue rehabing
> > while just being a completely wide-open
> unsigned
> > free agent who isn't on any teams roster for an
> > entire year?
>
>
> Seriously, does anyone have an opinion on this?
>
> If Manning is completely unable to perform and
> unable to pass a physical in time to get signed by
> a team, ANY team, for this upcoming season, will
> he retire? Is it possible that he plays again if
> he isn't healthy until let's say mid-November of
> next year? What happens if thats the case? Does
> Peyton Manning go an entire year as an unsigned
> free agent who doesn't make it onto any teams
> roster, only to get healthy and come back after a
> full season on the couch, to be signed by some
> team and end up not playing until the 2013 season?
>
>
> Is this a possible scenario, or does anyone think
> he will retire if he's not healthy in time to get
> signed and start for a team in 2012?

He won't retire this year.

He thinks he'll play again.

The neck fusion isn't the issue...its the nerve regeneration that is at issue. If that goes well he'll regain the normal strength in his arm. If it never gets better then he'll end up retiring.

There is no rule book on when/if that nerve will regenerate.

Could be March. Could be June. Could Be November. Could be July next year. Could be never.

Manning is going to have to show someone that he's getting stronger over the next few months in order to get someone to buy into his recovery being on time for training camp.

If he can't it will drag out until he can.

If he's regained little to no strength b this time next year you can start talking about retirement.

Date: February 02, 2012 01:38PM

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 02, 2012 01:52PM

Again, the neck isn't the issue. The nerve regeneration is the issue. I'm ambivalent about his return, but in the back of my mind I can still see <shudder> Namath in a Rams uniform and Unitas in a San Diego uniform.

Rick

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 02, 2012 06:43PM

The man has a strong will to play and win. I'm sure he'll work his ass off to get his strength back.

Whatever team he starts for will likely make the playoffs, so it might as well be for the Dolphins. I'm okay with that.

Date: February 03, 2012 01:46AM

We need to take him , just so the Jets don't.

Date: February 03, 2012 03:55AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> Again, the neck isn't the issue. The nerve
> regeneration is the issue.

And where is this particular nerve located?

Date: February 03, 2012 08:36AM

I know that the Colts had other problems that led to their awful season but for all intensive purposes if Peyton Manning can make a 1-15 team a 12-4 playoff team (extrapolated by witnessing this phenomenon occur in reverse this year) it wouldn't be a big stretch to think that Manning could take our 6-10 team to a 10-6 or better team if healthy.

Because it looks like the Phins are just not going to be able to be in a position to draft a young elite QB this year, which I think we all agree is what this team needs to do as soon as its possible to do so, I think if Manning can play and is even 85% of what he was, we should pull the trigger and embrace the impact that he could have on this team, mainly leading us towards getting back to the playoffs, as short-lived as that impact may be (even if means escalating us to a legitimate position of competitive relevancy for a couple seasons)

that may have been the longest run-on sentence in history. Nonetheless, that's what we should do.

Date: February 03, 2012 08:38AM

"intents and purposes"

Date: February 03, 2012 09:12AM

Does anyone else question the timing of this announcement by Peyton's doctor. JUST before the one event of the year when the most people are paying attention to football, at a time when his last name is being mentioned because his brother is playing in the game, his doctor just happens to announce that Peyton's ready to play.

Date: February 03, 2012 09:14AM

JC of course it's all a PR ploy. I am sure the Dr "cleared" him but that doesn't mean much. It means he won't be killed next time he drops back to pass and gets hit---but it says nothing about whether he still has any arm strength to throw a ball, which as I understand is the issue with the nerve and it has not yet regenerated/

If I took a physical I'd be physically cleared to play pro football but trust me you wouldn't want me as your QB

Date: February 03, 2012 09:59AM

I do, JC. Panteraize, we WERE a 10-6 team take away some Brandon Marshall drops and conservative calls such as not passing on 3rd and 7 AT THE 50 YARD LINE when there is 5 minutes left to go in the game and we only have a 10 point lead and whenever we were ahead in the 4th quarter, we pulled off all blitzes and relied on our secondary (which ain't that great really) to stop the passing game.

Now I know that there are people who want to blame everything on the QBs, Moore and Henne. I know that amateurs think that no matter how great the opposition is or how our defense can't stop them then hell, what difference does it make because if we just had a FRANCHISE quarterback, we'd just outscore em and the score board is the won-lost ticker anyway, right, right, RIGHT????

Grow up! (not directed to you Panteraize). I want to get the best possible QB as well but until we change other aspects of our team, like getting someone IN ADDITION to Jake Long who can keep the defensive lineman from competing for grabbing the handoff from the QB in the backfield, we are going to remain a piss poor team even if we went back in a time machine and brought back a young Dan Marino.

You guys are so naive. A quarterback needs help.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.