HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Uncomfortable in front of the cameras
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Uncomfortable in front of the cameras
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 22, 2012 03:50AM

Mr. Ross is quite uncomfortable in front of TV cameras....

In contrast, I'm glad to see that Coach Philbin has good eye contact and can speak on his feet. I'm hoping his relationship with the media and fans blossoms into something special. We need that!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uncomfortable in front of the cameras
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 22, 2012 04:16AM

I agree Colonel, Ross's speaking reminded me of watching a speech of a nervous stumbling 4th grader in front of the class. Besides that it was just fake, and not from the heart.... That is the first time he read those words.... And he tried to bring it to the heart, and it was so bad... How this guy made it to where he has gotten, boggles my mind sometimes.... He must be a really good strategist behind closed doors or something...
Philbin seemed strong for sure, but after following that speech by Ross, it wouldnt have taken much...lol

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 22, 2012 04:46AM

as long as philbin has a presence that's what matters. how did he seem?

Date: January 22, 2012 04:57AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as long as philbin has a presence that's what
> matters. how did he seem?

Philbin seemed amazing calm cool and collected.. Didnt come across as a tough guy, but more a methodical, guy to me... Control over his emotions, but still appeared very honest and sincere...

Date: January 22, 2012 05:01AM

that's good to know. that is my concern about philbin, that's he's more of a cam cameron strategist and not so much of a leader.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 22, 2012 08:41AM

yeah and speaking of cam cameron he was GREAT in front of cameras. I remember first hearing him speak when he got the job. He was like, im going to show everyone how to build a winning organization. Damn i was drinking the koolaid like this cat seems like he knows what hes talking about. I don think that turned out to well...

Date: January 22, 2012 08:50AM

and then he opened his mouth and started talking about "failing fast" and ted ginn's family and I knew we were sunk
being good in front of the cameras is important. HC is the face of the franchise and if you're good in front of the cameras you're probably good in the locker room in front of the players.
on the other hand, ross does not inspire confidence at all. so we need a solid HC in here so Ross can drift behind the scenes again

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 22, 2012 10:26AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> and then he opened his mouth and started talking
> about "failing fast"

Yeah, and but he kept to his word. We sure did Fail Fast with Cam at the helm!

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 22, 2012 11:44AM

I thought Cameron's ridiculous saying was "fail forward Fast". confused smiley

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 22, 2012 12:43PM

Come on guys...Cameron was set up to fail. He came into a very poor situation for a coach, with very little talent, and no quartebacks to work with. Then when he was unable to immediately turn the franchise around (one off season) he was run out of town on a rail. The thing that really gets me though, is that NO ONE could have been any more sucessful in that situation. Then add to the mix the fact that the system Cameon wanted to run was a much quicker, faster, athletic system than we had the personnel for. Cameron's system would have taken time to realize...everyone should have known that going in.

We all did Cameron a majo disservice in Miami and many still are.

Date: January 22, 2012 12:53PM

wrong. cameron was uniquely awful that season. what coach talks about "failing" as a motivating tool? what coach (rookie coach no less) coaches the last preseason game from the press box to give his assistants (both who were NFL head coaches before) "practice" being the HC? joey porter totally disrespected him and he did nothing, losing the locker room forever. cam may have inherited a bad team, but he proved that season to be a horrendous NFL HC.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 22, 2012 01:11PM

Ken Wrote:
>...... The thing that really gets me
> though, is that NO ONE could have been any more
> sucessful in that situation. .....

So...no coach on earth could have won more than one game that season?

Date: January 22, 2012 03:08PM

JC, I don't think so, but even if they did the end result would have still been the same...one win, two wins, its all really exactly the same thing.

Berk, The term failing forward is a perfectly legitimate thing to say when motivationaly speaking...

The major difference between achieving people and average people is their perception of and response to failure. The secret of moving beyond failure is to use it as a lesson and a stepping-stone to future success.

When you look at the top reasons people fail you discover that mastering fear instead of being mastered by it is what all sucessfull people do. Also, positive benefits can accompany negative experiences—if you have the right attitude.

Failing Forward is a strategic techique and philosophy that helps people move beyond mistakes to fulfill their potential and achieve success.

The not-talked-about, terrible truth is that all roads to achievement lead through the land of failure.

Date: January 22, 2012 03:30PM

maybe if you are trying to fire up insurance salesmen, but to a bunch of pro athletes I doubt it is the right approach---it certainly failed here I don't want Tony Robbins coaching the team

Date: January 23, 2012 03:58AM

I don't know about that Berk. Again, Cameron took over a bad team that had little talent and players that didn't fit the desired system. Failure was going to happen guaranteed. So taking an approach that teaches how to productively deal with that failure and turn that negative energy and emotion into positive attitudes and future success sounds just like what you'd want to instill as an NFL head coach.

The swing between emotional highs and lows in the NFL resulting in failure or success is too great. Making an attempt to correct that for your team going forward is not a bad way to do buisiness...JMO.

The problem is this, some people who are supposed to be manly men (NFL Players and ideaolistic fans apparently)...can resist what they perceive to be touchy feely stuff...and tactics that require you as an individual to think and correct yourself such as this fits that bill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 04:02AM by Ken.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 23, 2012 04:11AM

Ken Wrote:
> I don't know about that Berk. Again, Cameron took
> over a bad team that had little talent and players
> that didn't fit the desired system. Failure was
> going to happen guaranteed. So taking an approach
> that teaches how to productively deal with that
> failure and turn that negative energy and emotion
> into positive attitudes and future success sounds
> just like what you'd want to instill as an NFL
> head coach.
>
> The swing between emotional highs and lows in the
> NFL resulting in failure or success is too great.
> Making an attempt to correct that for your team
> going forward is not a bad way to do
> buisiness...JMO.
>
> The problem is this, some people who are supposed
> to be manly men (NFL Players and ideaolistic fans
> apparently)...can resist what they perceive to be
> touchy feely stuff...and tactics that require you
> as an individual to think and correct yourself
> such as this fits that bill.

Good point Ken.

I was in favor of hiring Cameron over other coordinators (can't even remember who they were) because I wanted an offensive guy.

And while he didn't get a fair chance to bring in players for his system, he was here long enough for me to realize I was wrong about him. Got that same vibe from him that I get from Pete Carrol. Good coordinator at this level. Not tough enough to be HC.

Date: January 23, 2012 10:03AM

JC Wrote:
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >...... The thing that really gets me
> > though, is that NO ONE could have been any more
> > sucessful in that situation. .....
>
> So...no coach on earth could have won more than
> one game that season?

I agree with JC.. While Cam wasnt in the best of spots, he surely didnt do anything to improve it... Is that on Mueller or Cam... The never ending debate, is it the GM picking the players on the roster, or the coaches inability to inspire and use the talent the GM got him... In Mueller and Cams case, I blame both... Cam isnt being rehired in Baltimore because of issues with players... So it seems like Cam wasnt and still isnt so good with players...That was magnified when he was the top dog..

Date: January 23, 2012 02:01PM

Maybe he isn't great with players, maybe he is, who knows really. But maybe, just maybe, he was not given sufficient time to do it either.

I just don't think the bust label can be definatively attached to Cameron from just one season as a head coach. Especially when there were so many other things around him that were wrong.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.