HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Philbin not an X & O Guy
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Philbin not an X & O Guy
Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: January 05, 2012 02:01PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Philbin not an X & O Guy
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 05, 2012 02:12PM

Why would we want GB's backup quarterback? We already have a back up quarterback that is performing well. You telling me that he is a Brady just awaiting his opportunity?

Again, doesn't seem like a "tenable" position to me.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 05, 2012 02:21PM

Maybe so, but trading up for Griffin is just as risky because the price of getting him will be much too high.

No matter what we do (Griffin, Tannehill, Foles, Flynn, or Moore as Qcool smiley we run the same risk of screwing up...we have to pick one option and run with it for better or worse.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 05, 2012 02:36PM

If this guy interviews well, (and fisher passes) I'd hire him. He'd for sure know if Flynn's the real deal or not (with his coaching reputation on the line, I doubt he would endorse him if not), and he could put him in a system he'd be comfortable with. It'd be like killing 2 birds with one stone.

As far as being inexperienced, It's called a coaching tree and Green Bays isn't a bad one to pluck right now. My only real concern with Philbin is, he can't be hired until the packers are eliminated, which could realistically be after the Super Bowl. That'd put him way behind the 8 ball as far as putting a staff together.

Date: January 05, 2012 02:43PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 05, 2012 02:44PM

I would like to know what philbin does with GB. I am OK if he doesn't call the plays as long as he has input in their design and add something to the process. If he worked in developing Rogers and Flynn, that's great. I think Andy Reid was a QB coach when he was hired, not an OC or play caller, so he didn't call the plays either but is pretty good at it

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 05, 2012 03:02PM

I agree, berk. I want to know exactly what Philbin does.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 05, 2012 03:25PM

As a head coach, he won't call plays either, so not sure that's really relevant.

Date: January 05, 2012 03:45PM

Date: January 05, 2012 04:24PM

Philbin might be the best bet if Fisher takes the St Louis Job. Philbin/ Flynn would be interesting , but I hope we still try to move up in the draft instead.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 05, 2012 04:26PM

yeah, I think i could live with philbin//flynn. there are worse teams to emulate than GB. better than DAL anyway

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: January 05, 2012 04:32PM

I believe as OC he would still implement the gameplan each week, even if McCarthy designed the structure of the offense and calls the plays.

I'm sure he doesn't sit there and make copies all day.

Date: January 05, 2012 05:32PM

Krunk Fu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe as OC he would still implement the
> gameplan each week, even if McCarthy designed the
> structure of the offense and calls the plays.
>
> I'm sure he doesn't sit there and make copies all
> day.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I dont know about that man. Im pretty sure that Mike McCarthy, Andy Reid, and Sean Peyton do everything when it comes to the weekly offensive gameplan.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 05, 2012 05:58PM

Aqua, how does a green soldier become a seasoned vet? He learns from the good ones.

I'd rather roll the dice on a newbie from the Packers org and Super bowl winning coach Mike Mccarthy, then an apprentice from Dallas with Wade Philips as a mentor.

Date: January 05, 2012 06:01PM

I agree, Dolph. I do.

I was only pointing out to the other guy that no way McCarthy, Peyton, and Reid take a back seat to the offense during the week.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 05, 2012 06:03PM

body edited.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 06:05PM by dolphan4545.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 06, 2012 03:27AM

I'm all for Philbin. Fisher = tony= wannstadt

Philbin designs the game plans each week. I'm sure he would bring in the same offense design here, and I am all for trying to score!!!!

Date: January 06, 2012 03:42AM

How do you know he designs the gameplan?

You are assuming. Right!?

I think McCarthy designs and calls the plays.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:00AM

I agree that McCarthy designs and calls the plays but I would think that, as OC, Philbin would be involved pretty heavily involved in the gameplan, play design, and playcalling. I am just guessing though. His responsibilities and capabilities should be pretty easy for Ross and Ireland to find out considering they are interviewing him about these very things.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 06, 2012 10:07AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm all for Philbin. Fisher = tony= wannstadt

You just don't like coaches with mustaches. Why not include Cowher in that group? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 06, 2012 12:03PM

If its not Fisher...I want Jay Gruden as out next interview.

Date: January 06, 2012 12:13PM

Date: January 06, 2012 12:35PM

Yes its obvious that McCarthy makes the final call on play design and play calling but what most are wondering is: To what degree does Philbin have input on play design, game planning, and play calling. That is the big question.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 06, 2012 02:16PM

Again, the guy has to be involved to a large degree...it makes zero sense to hire a guy, give him a title, pay him a crapload of money, and then NOT have him do the job you are paying him to do.

Date: January 06, 2012 02:55PM

How much is he getting paid? I didnt realize he was getting paid "a crapload".

---------------------

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 06, 2012 05:46PM

Philbin has a ton of talent to work with, not to mention the fact their HC is the offensive “master mind” and key intellect in relation to their offensive system.

Philbin is an overly obvious candidate due to the team’s success, but I wouldn’t credit him as the “active ingredient” for the same. He’s a >>> facilitator <<< as opposed to an innovator and/or creator from what I know (and otherwise deduce from the basic facts of GB’s org.). Personally I’m from Missouri on this one…

Bring me in a dude who gets really good results from less than stellar ingredients. But I seriously doubt we have the brain trust intact to make that kind of selection – so we’ll be stuck with the more obvious choice…

BoRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRing.

BNF.

Date: January 06, 2012 05:54PM

Quote:

"Bring me in a dude who gets really good results from less than stellar ingredients."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Jay Gruden?

---------------------

Date: January 06, 2012 08:50PM

I would be thrilled with a Jay Gruden interview. We need a few more lower tier guys to round out our coaching search unless Ireland was very impressed with Bowles, Toub, or Philbin.

Date: January 07, 2012 06:37AM

I’ve said before that I’d like to see what Gruden and Nolan could do together, but Gruden has not proven to get the most out of scraps. Very few coaches have that type of scheme flexibility and innate capacity to play into their teams strengths while exploiting the opposition’s weakness. But at least Gruden is a bright offensive mind and I believe the dude can coach QBs. He’s not going to coach anyway so it doesn’t matter.

I know we’ve had issues with reaching into the college ranks in the past but that’s where we’re most likely to find a young HC (I’m thinking under 45) who’s consistently outcoaching his opponents and finds a way to win with lesser talent. For example, the way JJ performed at Oklahoma State going against Switzer and the Sooners who had superior talent – yet JJ was kicking his ass. Then when he got to UM and put together the BEST TALENT streak in the history of college football – and then the amazing talent he pulled together at Dallas. JJ proved he could win FIRST, but then he also proved he had the best eye for talent in all of football (this of course is all before his burn-out with the Dolphins).

I guess my point is, it would be great to find a young coach with those kinds of skills AND the personality to demand excellence and performance from every player. Of course that’s a very tall order – and highly unlikely. So we’re pretty much guaranteed to make yet another “safe” choice rather than swing for the fences.

Date: January 07, 2012 06:45AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.