HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          matt flynn
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
matt flynn
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:00PM

did you guys see what he did today? 6tds and almost 500yd passing! I am as anti-taking another team's backup as the next guy, but wow that was impressive.
he is an unrestricted FA, correct? someone is going to way overpay for him---and it just might be us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: matt flynn
Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:08PM

What Flynn did today was absolutely insane!

If we can't move up and draft any of the big 3 for a backup plan he might be worth a look.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:09PM

I would take him ahead of any draft pick except Luck. I say we sign him, and then take best availible player or trade down for more draft picks. We are not that far away from being a good team.

Date: January 01, 2012 12:09PM

razor who is the 3d of the "big 3"? only luck and rg3 are top 10 picks

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:18PM

I was expecting the Matt Flynn thread.

Seems like a quality player.

Or is the Green Bay system that good?

Date: January 01, 2012 12:29PM

the GB system really is that good. kind of like philly, they can make average QBs look great. this is what I am afraid of if we sign flynn---and any team that signs him will need to pay him a huge contract, so they would be committing to him as their starter. a bit worried about that. BUT it would be great if we didn't need to blow our next 2-3 drafts on picks for a QB

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:34PM

A little of both. The system helps but you still have to hit your receivers

Sign Flynn(Seahwks and others could be after him)

Take Reif, Martin , or Decastro- best OL
Dwayne Allen
Jeff Fuller/Tommy Streeter
Chase Minnifield/Desmond Trufant/Brandon Taylor

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:41PM

I know one way to almost guarantee he signs here......hire his OC (Philbin I think?) as our new HC. Just a thought

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:51PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know one way to almost guarantee he signs
> here......hire his OC (Philbin I think?) as our
> new HC. Just a thought

Exactly right.

If you want Flynn and you are worried his success is system based, then hire his OC to be our HC and the system comes with him.

I like Flynn.

We've already taken ourselves out of the running for drafting a QB in the 1st round with these utterly meaningless 2nd half wins.

So, I'd sign him if we could. If that meant hiring his OC so be it.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:52PM

I think the Seahawks have the GM that drafted Flynn and Rodgers.

It will come down to who is willing to give him Cassell/Kolb type money for two games of experience, or who thinks Tannehill and the second tier QB's are a safer route

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 01, 2012 01:03PM

I don't stop at Flynn though, have Moore and Flynn compete and still draft a 2nd/3rd rnder as a developmental guy

Date: January 01, 2012 01:14PM

flynn is going to take a ton of $$ to sign and to be the starter. so if we bring him in, we're not gonna draft a QB high in the draft

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 01, 2012 01:56PM

if we don't trade up for RGIII then I think we should make a play for Flynn. I agree that if we want flynn we should sign the GB OC. Flynn is from the south so i think he would be interested in signing with us anyway.

option a- RGIII
option b- Flynn and GB OC

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 01, 2012 02:10PM

Just curious what people's thoughts are. Say Flynn's agent uses the Matt Cassel contract as a basis, and shops Flynn for a 6 year, $60M contract. Would you be willing to commit that kind of money to a QB who has started just 2 NFL games, and only started 13 games in college?

Date: January 01, 2012 02:29PM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> if we don't trade up for RGIII then I think we
> should make a play for Flynn. I agree that if we
> want flynn we should sign the GB OC. Flynn is
> from the south so i think he would be interested
> in signing with us anyway.
>
> option a- RGIII
> option b- Flynn and GB OC

Problem is that the draft is 7-8 weeks after free agency starts.

You'll have to decide on Flynn first. He can't be your back up plann unless you can try to work out a deal for the 2nd pick before FA starts in March.

Date: January 01, 2012 02:44PM

oh good catch. i would be happy with either player and yes i would give him that money as long as we got the packers OC as HC

Date: January 01, 2012 02:56PM

Maybe we can get Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Donald Driver, and Jermichael Finley, too.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 01, 2012 03:12PM

Flynn would be a great pick up if you are not sold on any of the rookies or if the price of moving up to them is simply too high. 480 yards passing is quite impressive to be sure. Every time I've seen Flynn get a chance to play he's been quite spectacular. Also I've said for quite a while now that if we can't sign Gruden that we should go after Philbin or Charmichael as our next coach. The systems are great, agressive and modern...all things we need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 07:40AM by Ken.

Date: January 01, 2012 03:13PM

mark,

first off jennings didn't play.

and if you are implying that flynn is a product of the system then i could make the same argument for the guys you mentioned. is james jones or driver that good or are they benefiting from the system?

obviously guys like finley and nelson help but flynn didnt just get by, he set records for yards and tds against a pretty good defense.

Date: January 01, 2012 04:05PM

He has started 2 NFL games in 4 years. For anyone to commit long term, major money to him would be fairly crazy. He was a 1 year starter in college. He plays for a great team, in a great system, with great talent around him. And teams have no film to break down and find his tendencies and weaknesses. The real adversity check for a QB comes once the league figures out what you do well, and what you have problems with. Until a QB can play through that, you just never know. He has less experience than Matt Cassel and Kevin Kolb did when they got big contracts, and their results have disappointed their respective teams. At this point, Flynn is a lottery ticket.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: January 01, 2012 04:21PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> razor who is the 3d of the "big 3"? only luck and
> rg3 are top 10 picks

I thought Jones was sort of up there, not as highly touted as Luck or RG3 of course but some mock drafts have him going in the top 10.

Date: January 01, 2012 04:24PM

jones' stock has plummeted big time. he's probably returning to school out of necessity. I wouldn't take him in the top 10

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: January 01, 2012 04:29PM

After that performance maybe A. Rodgers is the guy they get rid of.

Date: January 01, 2012 05:22PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> He has less experience
> than Matt Cassel and Kevin Kolb did when they got
> big contracts, and their results have disappointed
> their respective teams. At this point, Flynn is a
> lottery ticket.

Very true.

With one HUGE difference. This lottery ticket doesn't cost you any draft picks.

I'm not saying Flynn is the answer but he'd be worth a shot and if you structure the deal right and back load the contract or split the siging bonus up as roster bonuses over the next two or three years.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 01, 2012 05:57PM

Matt flynn did not have a great senior year at LSU and was finally drafted in the 7th round by the packers in the 2008 draft. He has improved as a passer and can beat you with his legs. I do think that he is a product of the packers system because i didnt see NONE of this when he was playing in college lol... However the reason i am and have been huge on him since he has come into the league is because the packers also drafted that year a kid in the second round named brian broham, HIGHLY touted qb out of louisville.

People who follow college football knows that broham had the hype of bradford and if he came out his junior year likely would have been the #1 overall pick. He stayed his senior year sucked it up and he fell to the second round. Anyway the reason i bring it up is broham and flynn entered both as rookies in 2008. And matt flynn beat out heavily hyped broham to the point that it think they ended up cutting him. So people smarter than me saw these two guys going head to head and they went with flynn. By my logic that means he must have skillz cause im a big east guy and broham was the truth...

Date: January 01, 2012 05:59PM

yes---good call on brohm, he is the paradigm example of the stupidity of coming back for your SR season. He was talked about as a top 10 pick but went back to school and lasted till 1 pick before Chad Henne in the 2d, lol

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 01, 2012 06:09PM

Could it be that the Pack aren't just Aaron Rodgers and a bunch of nobodies (like the Colts are with Manning?). Could it be the Pack are a solid team like the Pats were with Matt Cassell?

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 01, 2012 06:11PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> yes---good call on brohm, he is the paradigm
> example of the stupidity of coming back for your
> SR season. He was talked about as a top 10 pick
> but went back to school and lasted till 1 pick
> before Chad Henne in the 2d, lol

lol, yeah but dont forget that jamarcus russell went #1 that year and it was only because broham turned down what 40+ mill gaurenteed to go back to school (since before the CBA). The other guy was a bum by the name of brady quinn so broham had hype and really no competition. What an idiot, he gave up millions for BCS championship aspirations and i think they finished with only 5 wins and no bowl appearance look at you know mr. broham. Thats why if your top 10 you take the money and run!!!

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: January 01, 2012 06:14PM

GB system is good. GB team is good.

Detroits pass D? Not so good.

Don't go too crazy... Flynn is still a backup.

Date: January 01, 2012 06:15PM

well in fairness, he's a backup to the #1 QB in the league. he could start for a number of teams even now

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.