HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Horrible Thought
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Horrible Thought
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 30, 2011 09:27AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Horrible Thought
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 30, 2011 10:56AM

sorry, I don't see Indy pissing Manning off to the degree that they would trade UP to take Andrew Luck. And I don't see them taking any other QB in the 1st round than him. If they are #2, they will most likely trade down to the team that wants RG3.

Date: December 30, 2011 11:42AM

Indy had a long talk with Peyton and decided to give up the chase a few weeks ago. They were tanking on purpose. They are in the position to get some great value or a draft pick to help Peyton win again.

Date: December 30, 2011 12:26PM

I really don't see the Peyton-Luck conflict you see, berk.

You have to remember, most of the time, the rookie has to sit awhile.

If Marino had not been so great, he would have had to sit behind Woodley.

But even if Andrew Luck is Dan Marino, Peyton Manning is no David Woodley.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 30, 2011 12:31PM

Trading away a bunch of much needed picks to add a backup QB would piss off Manning, his mindset would be (and rightfully so) lets add pieces for me to win another Super Bowl. If they can get Luck without giving up anything it makes sense, to give away a whole draft makes no sense unless they're conceding a re-bulid effort.

Date: December 30, 2011 12:37PM

Date: December 30, 2011 12:45PM

As a matter of fact, Indy might say to number 1 "I'll give you our number 1 draft choice NEXT YEAR."

If you were number 2 and you weren't interested in drafting Luck yourself, you'd have to be a damn fool to reject that offer.

You get to draft the guy you wanted to draft anyway.

You don't have to risk him being gone because Luck will be drafted number 1 and not that guy at that position you wanted. And you have your pick of the rest of the draft.

Doesn't make any sense NOT to deal with Indy.

Date: December 30, 2011 01:25PM

It's obviously gonna be easier to move from #2 to #1, but the value of the pick will still cost a pretty penny IMO. Let's say its the Rams, why would they only drop 1 spot for an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, when they can drop 6 spots and get a boat load of picks? (Before you nail me with specifics, these are all hypothetical scenarios, we don't know the value of the pick or what teams are actually willing to give up)

Date: December 30, 2011 03:29PM

Date: December 30, 2011 03:39PM

I'm not buying it, Indys 1st pick next year could be #30, the thing everyone wants IS Luck, you get everything you can for him. Which gets us back to the original point, is Indy willing to part with multiple picks and piss off Manning for his backup? My opinion is no. This isn't the Green Bay scenario where Rogers nose dived to them, this is moving up.

Date: December 30, 2011 03:58PM

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 30, 2011 05:53PM

chyren. the rams would get their choice at the #2 overall pick but they would give up additional picks that they would have acquired by trading to a team like the Browns. they would have to weight the value of those extra picks against the value of the player they would select at #2 overall compared to #6 overall. either trade would work but it depends on the value STL places on additional picks versus Matt Kalil (who they would probably take #2 overall)

Date: December 30, 2011 08:33PM

That's true 1423 but they also risk losing their heart's desire if he goes from between 1 and the number they trade down to.

So, it's a gamble but I think 9 out of 10 football heads would rather go from number 1 to number 2 than go from number 1 to number 8 (where we will be).

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 30, 2011 10:57PM

We could still offer multiple #1 picks and then some. Perhaps Indy will tank for Barkley next year now. Wouldn't surprise me.

Analysts insist that 3 #1 picks plus the wife & kids as well for Luck would be worth it.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 31, 2011 11:09AM

chyren, i agree that all else equal teams would rather go from number 1 to number 2 instead of number 1 to number 8. but all things are not equal. they will get more picks in compensation for dropping all the way to number 8. probably an extra 1st rounder. so if they like a couple guys that they think might drop to 8 then i think its a no brainer. but if they have to have a specific guy (like Matt Kalil or Justin Blackmon) then i agree that they can't afford to drop to 8 cuz they won't be able to get their guy.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:38PM

We'll have to agree to disagree on everything but the last half of your last sentence which we both agree with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.