HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          prediction of next coach
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
prediction of next coach
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 07:16AM

Poll
Who will be the phins coach next year
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
23 votes were received.
Cowher 1

4%
Gruden 6

26%
Fisher 7

30%
Billcik 6

26%
A current OC or DC 3

13%
A current college coach 0

0%

I think it's almost a foegone conclusion it will be Billick. Cowher isn't coming back and if he does it won't be here (good). Fisher is coaching the Chargers next year, and Gruden will be coaching the Rams. That's it for the "names." Cross off any first-time NFL coach because Ross wants "experience" (so no OC or DC), and I think even Ross isn't stupid enough to hire someone from college from among the possiblities (Les Miles, Kirk Ferensz, Chip Kelly---assuming they even want to go pro which I doubt).
So this leaves only 1 guy with "experience," a ring, and a name---Brian Billick.
Frankly, I think it's the best we can do. So I guess I am OK with it. Long gone are the days when we have the pick of the litter as coach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: prediction of next coach
Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: December 27, 2011 07:48AM

I am on record as (blindly) predicting Miami will have Cower and Luck for next season.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 10:44AM

id settle for gruden and luck.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 27, 2011 11:05AM

I voted a current OC/DC, but your assessment is probably spot on Berk. I'd be ok with Billick because it'd probably keep Nolan here, but I'd rather give a guy like Chudzinski a chance to prove himself.

Date: December 27, 2011 11:14AM

how do you know who is going to coach what team berk have you heard anything?

Date: December 27, 2011 11:15AM

well ok you said prediction....

Date: December 27, 2011 11:28AM

It's rumored that AJ. Smiths gettin canned with Norv Turner, and the Rams will hire him and Gruden immediately, thus leaving the California native Jeff Fisher the San Diego job. I wasn't aware the Gruden and Smith are that tight but everything else adds up.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 27, 2011 12:11PM

If its Billick, I wont watch anymore.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 27, 2011 12:15PM

I refuse to give up on Jeff Fisher. I know it seems unlikely that we get him, but until it's official I'm sticking with him.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 27, 2011 12:19PM

If its Billick I will throw up...

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 27, 2011 01:32PM

I think Ross picks Billick.Seems like his type. Ross seems like the type that wants his butt kissed and Billick seemed to pucker right up calling the miami position a marquee opportunity.

I think the other coaches on the list would be annoyed by Ross.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2011 01:36PM by sleekdogg.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 02:17PM

what's so horrible about billick? serious question, I don't know

Date: December 27, 2011 05:26PM

What's wrong with Billick? Conservative, conservative, conservative...he'd be more of the same old, same old for us. Three yards and a clud of dust.

Offensive genious my A$$.

Except for his stint as the OC of Minnesota where he was quite good he's been not good offensively. When he got to be a head coach he got all conservative.

He only had four good seasons out of his nine as a Head Coach...the rest were average to poor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2011 05:33PM by Ken.

Date: December 28, 2011 02:51AM

Billick is an idiot. I hear him talk on his weekly spot on Mike & Mike, and he is an absolute idiot.

I would rather us stick with (Bowles) or get a young, up-and-coming coach than Billick.

---------------------

Posted by: DarthHoodie ()
Date: December 29, 2011 08:52AM

Where is Mangini, that's who I thought would 'slide' into the HC spot...smoking smiley But in all seriousness all of those names above are flawed in one way or another. I think the Dolphins would be best served by going with a fresh faced young commander out there. Who could it be?

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 29, 2011 11:13AM

Here's the thing with Gruden. Ross is going to look at how the team played better after an 0-7 start. He is going to look at how well the defense played after the 0-7 start. And he is going to look at a relatively high team salary. And he is going to try to keep from totally blowing the team up and being awful for a couple of years while a new coach rebuilds. Gruden is a west coast offense guy with very complex terminology (read the Pat Kirwan book with regard to this subject). That means a totally revamped offense. It means Daboll is out. It means that Moore, who has played in a "Charlie Weis" based offense his entire career, would have to learn something totally new. And Gruden is a 4-3 guy on defense. And our personnel is built for the 3-4. And that may mean that Nolan is out, and the whole defense gets turned over. So, I kind of doubt Ross would go in that direction. Billick would likely keep Nolan, as the two worked together for years. So, the defense would at least be left intact. And Billick is not a west coast offense guy, so he may be able to maintain some continuity there. I am not endorsing Billick by any means, but I think he is a more likely choice than Gruden.

Date: December 29, 2011 11:21AM

If Billick becomes the Coach, Im not sure what I would do. Billick is a dope.

---------------------

Date: December 29, 2011 03:24PM

I'm calling bullsheet Aqua, if you survived the Wanny years you can stomach a Billick run.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 29, 2011 05:28PM

i agree with all those calling for an up and coming coordinator. we just need to identify who that is. i would rather reach for someone like that then sign a retread like Billick because "we know what we are getting and its safer".

ideally we identify the next sean payton or mike mccarthy. but that is much easier said than done.

one possibility that i haven't seen is this: the cowboys dont make the playoffs. jerry jones fires jason garret in an attempt to land a fisher, cowher, or gruden. i would be fine with garret because a) he is a young coach with experience b) he has some serious offensive chops (dallas loses because of that idiot DC they have) c) he doesn't come with much baggage.

plus, garret has had experience and success in developing QBs and I would think he would be in favor of keeping the defensive staff intact.

some of you will moan about another dallas guy i know but i could see ireland pushing for this move if garret gets canned.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 29, 2011 06:48PM

I don't think I would mind Billick if he brought in an OC to do the job. I would kind of like to see Norv Turner here, but not as a HC, as an OC. He did pretty well when he was here as an OC before, turning Gus Frerotte into a respectable QB. Billick doesn't impress me as an offensive mind. However, his being out of the league for -what, 5 years? - so long worries me.

Rick

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: December 29, 2011 08:29PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm calling bullsheet Aqua, if you survived the
> Wanny years you can stomach a Billick run.

At least Wanny made the playoffs 3/6 times with us...... but I hope to hell Jon Gruden comes to coach us next season.

And question here, was Billick the coach of the Ravens that let us off the hook for a 0-16 season? I remember they could of gone for a td when they had it on the goaline but instead went for a fg was it?

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 29, 2011 11:05PM

DM - you might be right about Gruden dictating West Coast on offense - which could be a serious concern and one I hadn't thought about.

However, I don't know that he's necessarily a 4-3 guy. When he was in OAK, it was the dominant defense across the NFL by a good long shot. And he inherited the scheme in Tampa...along with one of the better sets of defensive talents in the past 20 years. My guess is that he wouldn't necessarily change the defense from the ground up just because that's what he had before. He strikes me more as a guy who would want to be heavily involved in the offense and let an expert run the defense.

Back on offense - if we get a Gruden and a high 1st-round QB, then I anticipate a lot of change just because of the importance of those positions to the offense in general. I like Daboll a lot, but I'm not sure that I'm too concerned about too much change with a new coach and QB. I'd be more concerned if we were going to try to shoehorn significantly upgraded talent into our existing system.

Date: December 29, 2011 11:31PM

For a new coach to come in day one and blow up the entire team would prove that he was an idiot and the wrong guy for the job. The defense is working well and simply needs a few tweaks...such as a couple more playmakers and at least one dominant player.

The offense also has come a long way since last season. Daboll has made the unit effective and we simply lack speed, a couple more playmakers, (a Dominant TE for one example) and better blocking to be in the thick of the playoff hunt for next season.

A top level QB is also another need but one that we don't have to have play in 2012 for the team to greatly improve and be in the playoffs.

We have a good foundation right now. We just need to fill in the weak spots and play consistently for this team to be sucessful. Then in 2013 IF we draft a QB he should be ready to challenge Moore and win the starters job...after that the sky should be the limit.

A new coach coming in making too many radical changes would be simply stupid...I hope the guys we are looking at are smart enough to know that isn't required here. If they aren't, I wouldn't want them as our new coach.

Date: December 30, 2011 03:43AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I'm calling bullsheet Aqua, if you survived the
> Wanny years you can stomach a Billick run.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
LOL...ok, you got me. thumbs upsmileys with beer

But I still wont like it.

---------------------

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 30, 2011 05:21PM

Fisher...he is one of the only ones who is proven and could come in and work with the current coordinators.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 31, 2011 11:09AM

Peter King was just asked on Twitter if there's any rumors on Miami's coaching search.....his reply? The Billick thing is for real. Guess we're gonna find out if he's an offensive genius or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 11:27AM by dolphaholic.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 31, 2011 11:21AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Peter King was just asked on Twitter if there's
> any rumors on Miami's coaching search.....his
> reply? The Billick thing is for real. Guess we're
> gonna find out if he's an offensive genious or
> not.

Yikes....however, anyone who can win a SB with Trent Dilfer has to be either a genius or a magician.

Date: January 01, 2012 03:54AM

Neither, just the beneficiary of maybe the best defense ever...

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 01, 2012 07:11AM

His QB's in Baltimore....

99 Tony Banks 81.2 pass rate
00 Banks Dilfer
01-02 Elvis Grbac
03 Kyle Boller...injured then Anthony Wright
04 Kyle Boller
05 Boller
06 McNair
07 McNair then Boller then McNair

I guess you can't blame Brian for that. It was Ozzie who failed miserably in his QB search.

Ironically Billick was fired after getting beaten by a winless Miami team in 07!

Offensive genius? I doubt it. He was OC in Minnesota from 94 to 98 but it didn't hurt that he had Warren Moon, Chris Carter, Randy Moss and Robert Smith, Jake Reed and Randall Cunningham on the offense and 3 Pro Bowlers on the o-line.

Can he win with a HOF QB? Yes

Can he win without one? Maybe with the top two defense of all time.

We have neither. Just like any coach in the NFL. You will look like a genius with a great QB and get fired if you don't have one.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 01, 2012 08:14AM

We should keep Bowles before we hire Billick. I actually like the way Bowles is running the team. Keem Nolan and the other assistants Moore at qb and roll the dice. I really think Soprano was holding this team back.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.