HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Momentum
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Momentum
Posted by: Ihatebrady ()
Date: December 24, 2011 10:57AM

Why is it that whenever Miami is playing well, it's almost an inevitable certainty that momentum swings back against them and it's always exponentially worse than as good as they were playing?? FU&K I HATE WATCHING THEM FOLD UP!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Momentum
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 24, 2011 11:26AM

They didn't fold--they tired and had little left after all the pressure in the first 2 quarters. They were relentless. It shows that depth at various positions is an issue.

Posted by: Ihatebrady ()
Date: December 24, 2011 11:34AM

Giving up 27 unanswered points and a 17 point lead is most certainly folding up. So is running out of gas. By week 16 endurance shouldn't be an issue for professional athletes.

Date: December 24, 2011 12:08PM

The defense ran outta Gas. Hopefully they can address that in the off season.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 24, 2011 12:27PM

address what? the entire defense running out of gas?

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 24, 2011 12:56PM

The offense has to bear some of the blame here for the defense running out of gas.

We need a TE that can move the chains and get down the field. This provides the offense with a player that can be relied upon, as not only a playmaker but, a saftey net, and one that will excel once a defense gets tired. Clay may eventually be that guy but so far he isn't. We need to draft one to fill the role.

We also need another RB because Thomas is injured often...this may simply be that he's a rookie but it may also be a trend. We need a third option.

Our O-Line also isn't deep enough and we've had injury problems with Long, Carey, and Pouncey. We can't have that and out depth with the exception of Jerry simply isn't good enough to effectively fill in when people get nicked up.

Then we need another WR, Hartline as much as I like him isn't good, dominant, nor explosive enough and he should be bumped down the depth chart to #4. The WR's we have now need to work on routes that get them open very quickly within 5-10 yards. That's what helps make Welker so dangerous...he get's open immediately and Brady gets the ball to him right after the snap.

Then there is Moore, he's played well and he mostly did today. He must make improvements however during the off season in his deciseiveness, strength, footwork, and his timing because he needs to speed up the clock in his head slightly. He's got to get rid of the ball instead of holding it too long. He can't simply sit there and take sacks waiting on receivers get open.

Then lastly, Daboll should he return, must refine the offense to be quicker and more explosive...we need more quick plays and three step drops. That will go a long way toward helping the O-Line because they don't have to block as long.

These things will go a long way toward increasing our time of possession (good for the defense to be rested) or allowing us to score very quickly. (good for the attitude...pumps the team up)

The defense though does need to improve their conditioning and they need more playmakers as well as an improved pass rush and the ability to lock down a TE.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 25, 2011 04:49AM

Well, there goes the theory that we are only an elite QB away.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 25, 2011 06:28AM

We are. And Peyton Manning proves it.

With Manning= 13-3

Without Manning= 1-15.

Go tell the Colts that a franchise QB doesnt matter.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: December 25, 2011 07:17AM

I don't think Hooligan2 is saying that an elite QB dosent matter. But instead, that one isn't all we need to get us to the promised land.

I'd agree with that assessement, as would most people IMHO.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 25, 2011 12:18PM

A & O knows what I mean. The Colts were built around Manning. Manning was not just the QB but, also the field general and the on-field coach. Without him the balance and chemistry are not there. Nobody can instantly go in and replace him. Rodgers or Brees could not go there and have instant success.
Yesterday's loss in NE appears to be on the coachs' lack of a game plan for the second half. NE made adjustments and we did not, thinking that the momentum of the first half would carry over. It didn't.
Moore looked pretty good, he made a couple of weak throws but, he didn't lose this game.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 25, 2011 04:14PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The offense has to bear some of the blame here for
> the defense running out of gas.
>
> We need a TE that can move the chains and get down
> the field. This provides the offense with a player
> that can be relied upon, as not only a playmaker
> but, a saftey net, and one that will excel once a
> defense gets tired. Clay may eventually be that
> guy but so far he isn't. We need to draft one to
> fill the role.

Anthony Fasano is averaging 15.7 yards per catch and has 0 drops this season. He averaged 13.5 yards per catch last year and dropped just 2 passes all season. So, that's 2 drops in 2 years. We have the TE we need, we just don't use him enough. And part of the reason why is because we ask him to stay in and block so much because our RT is awful.

>
>
>
> Then we need another WR, Hartline as much as I
> like him isn't good, dominant, nor explosive
> enough and he should be bumped down the depth
> chart to #4. The WR's we have now need to work on
> routes that get them open very quickly within 5-10
> yards. That's what helps make Welker so
> dangerous...he get's open immediately and Brady
> gets the ball to him right after the snap.
>

Brian Hartline is leading the team in yards per catch for the 3rd straight season. Of all the receivers in the league with at least 30 catches, his yards per catch is tied for 15th in the league. Welker plays the slot, and runs crossing routes about 80% of the time, which is why he is open quickly. And he is their #1 read on most plays. We use Bess similarly, but he is rarely the #1 read. And Moore doesn't really get through his reads, which is why Bess' targets are way down this year (118 in 2010 compared to 73 in 2011).

> Then there is Moore, he's played well and he
> mostly did today. He must make improvements
> however during the off season in his
> deciseiveness, strength, footwork, and his timing
> because he needs to speed up the clock in his head
> slightly. He's got to get rid of the ball instead
> of holding it too long. He can't simply sit there
> and take sacks waiting on receivers get open.
>

Moore is what he is, which is a backup. Moore has been in the league for 5 years, and has started 24 games. If he hasn't developed that internal clock yet, he's not going to. It is pretty amazing how often he has been sacked from his front side because he holds on to the ball too long. He doesn't have a sense of pressure in the pocket. He also lacks the arm to make all the throws. He can throw with nice touch, but he can't throw a deep out, and he can't zip the ball when he needs to. The guy makes a lot of nice plays, but then he will miss a wide open guy on 3rd down. It's frustrating. And as I mentioned above, he doesn't progress through his reads. Marshalls' percentage of targets hasn't really changed. In 2010, he was targeted on 28% of our pass plays. In 2011, he's been targeted 28% of our pass plays. In 2010, the RBs were targeted on 13% of pass plays. In 2011, the RBs are being targeted on 18.6% of the plays. So, the basic formula is Marshall, or check down to a RB. That's why Bess, Fasano, and Hartline have all seen their targets lowered. Moore just doesn't look for them as much.

Date: December 26, 2011 04:31AM

Wow, Mark. Awesome post. thumbs up

But I want you to finally admit to something for me....

that Chad Henne is a backup Qb, too. Right!?

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 26, 2011 05:00AM

but A&O, Henne completes 69.3% of his passes on 3d down with 4-6 yards to go when the team is between the 35 yard lines. Plus his interceptions divided by his incompletions multiplied by his drops is only 32.1%. Henne is not the problem spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 26, 2011 05:51AM

Hahahaha.....I bet Mark does pull out some crazy stat like that.

---------------------

Date: December 26, 2011 01:57PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The offense has to bear some of the blame here
> for
> > the defense running out of gas.
> >
> > We need a TE that can move the chains and get
> down
> > the field. This provides the offense with a
> player
> > that can be relied upon, as not only a
> playmaker
> > but, a saftey net, and one that will excel once
> a
> > defense gets tired. Clay may eventually be that
> > guy but so far he isn't. We need to draft one
> to
> > fill the role.
>
> Anthony Fasano is averaging 15.7 yards per catch
> and has 0 drops this season. He averaged 13.5
> yards per catch last year and dropped just 2
> passes all season. So, that's 2 drops in 2 years.
> We have the TE we need, we just don't use him
> enough. And part of the reason why is because we
> ask him to stay in and block so much because our
> RT is awful.

RE: Yes he is asked to stay in and block. However, It could also be said that he isn't, snap in ans snap out getting more catches because he isn't consistently getting open...Fasano isn't fast, nor shifty enough and he isn't a TE that can take over a game...thats why he needs to be upgraded. I want to have a dominant TE in the passing attack not simply one who is just good enough.
>
> >
> >
> >
> > Then we need another WR, Hartline as much as I
> > like him isn't good, dominant, nor explosive
> > enough and he should be bumped down the depth
> > chart to #4. The WR's we have now need to work
> on
> > routes that get them open very quickly within
> 5-10
> > yards. That's what helps make Welker so
> > dangerous...he get's open immediately and Brady
> > gets the ball to him right after the snap.
> >
>
> Brian Hartline is leading the team in yards per
> catch for the 3rd straight season. Of all the
> receivers in the league with at least 30 catches,
> his yards per catch is tied for 15th in the
> league. Welker plays the slot, and runs crossing
> routes about 80% of the time, which is why he is
> open quickly. And he is their #1 read on most
> plays. We use Bess similarly, but he is rarely the
> #1 read. And Moore doesn't really get through his
> reads, which is why Bess' targets are way down
> this year (118 in 2010 compared to 73 in 2011).

RE: The routes we run are on the coaches but Hartline could be asked to run more quick routes...I doubt however that he'd be sucessful at it becasue thats not the kind of player he is. Hartline doesn't have more catches because he's not getting open often enough...and as I have said many times now I like him and I don't want to get rid of him but he needs to be upgraded. His average per catch is all good but he's in single coverage the majority of the time and IF he was getting open often Moore would be throwing to him more often...a thing like that would never slip by in film study.
>
> > Then there is Moore, he's played well and he
> > mostly did today. He must make improvements
> > however during the off season in his
> > deciseiveness, strength, footwork, and his
> timing
> > because he needs to speed up the clock in his
> head
> > slightly. He's got to get rid of the ball
> instead
> > of holding it too long. He can't simply sit
> there
> > and take sacks waiting on receivers get open.
> >
>
> Moore is what he is, which is a backup. Moore has
> been in the league for 5 years, and has started 24
> games. If he hasn't developed that internal clock
> yet, he's not going to. It is pretty amazing how
> often he has been sacked from his front side
> because he holds on to the ball too long. He
> doesn't have a sense of pressure in the pocket. He
> also lacks the arm to make all the throws. He can
> throw with nice touch, but he can't throw a deep
> out, and he can't zip the ball when he needs to.
> The guy makes a lot of nice plays, but then he
> will miss a wide open guy on 3rd down. It's
> frustrating. And as I mentioned above, he doesn't
> progress through his reads. Marshalls' percentage
> of targets hasn't really changed. In 2010, he was
> targeted on 28% of our pass plays. In 2011, he's
> been targeted 28% of our pass plays. In 2010, the
> RBs were targeted on 13% of pass plays. In 2011,
> the RBs are being targeted on 18.6% of the plays.
> So, the basic formula is Marshall, or check down
> to a RB. That's why Bess, Fasano, and Hartline
> have all seen their targets lowered. Moore just
> doesn't look for them as much.

RE: Moore as you pointed out has 24 games...he's still developing as a starter. And I might add that those 24 games have been with multiple teams. It takes time to learn systems and build good rapport. Moore has played very well this year and there is no reason to think that IF the system remains similar that he won't continue to improve. Yes he holds onto the ball too long and and has a weak arm at times, but there are no areas in Moore's game where a off season of quality work can't reap major improvements.

Look I have never said that we should not draft a QB, but there are other areas of the team where we need improvements...standing pat with our playmakers is not a good strategy especially when we can upgrade them. Speed, quickness, and big play ability are areas of weakness for our offense and they must be addressed.

Same goes with the defense.

I hope the new coach makes evolutionary changes and does not try re-inventing the wheel. Our wheels are round and they roll well...we just need to reduce frictional losses and improve overall efficiency.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 26, 2011 03:28PM

Ken Wrote:
> RE: The routes we run are on the coaches but
> Hartline could be asked to run more quick
> routes...I doubt however that he'd be sucessful at
> it becasue thats not the kind of player he is.
> Hartline doesn't have more catches because he's
> not getting open often enough...and as I have said
> many times now I like him and I don't want to get
> rid of him but he needs to be upgraded. His
> average per catch is all good but he's in single
> coverage the majority of the time and IF he was
> getting open often Moore would be throwing to him
> more often...a thing like that would never slip by
> in film study.

Hartline's catches are down simply because he is not getting open? What about Bess? His targets are down about 40% from last year, so he must have lost his ability to get open as well. Quite a coincidence for both players to suddenly lose the same ability. Especially in a new offense that features more 3 WR sets and more spread looks, resulting in more single coverage for every receiver, including Brandon Marshall.

Hartline was targeted 24 times in the first 4 games. He was targeted a total of 23 times in the next 9 games, before finally getting 13 targets the last 2 games. Bess was targeted 25 times in the first 4 games, more than 6 times per game. Since then, he's being targeted just 4 times per game. What would be the common thread? Isn't it possible that Moore just simply hasn't done well getting through his 2nd and 3rd reads? And now, as he has become more comfortable during the season, he has included Fasano more, and is now including Hartline more?

In 2010, Hartline was on pace for a 60 catch, 800 yard season before breaking his hand. That's an impressive pace for a guy getting the 3rd most targets behind Marshall and Bess. The guy does not get nearly the credit he deserves. He's a solid starting WR.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.