HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Trade Long for Luck?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trade Long for Luck?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 22, 2011 03:44PM

This will be a VERY unpopular suggestion, but what if we seriously upped the anti and offered Jake Long (who, while for 2 years has been injured towards the end of the year, is still arguably the best LT in the NFL) to Indy for the #1 pick? Then we could use our other 1st round pick to draft another LT.

Am I nuts? Would Indy take the offer? What do you guys think?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 03:47PM by montequi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trade Long for Luck?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 22, 2011 03:47PM

It depends on from whose standpoint. If from the Dolphins standpoint, you are not nuts at all.

But from Indy's standpoint, with Barkley and even perhaps RGIII gone, they would trade this choice for albeit an ALL Pro (the best since Richmond Webb) but who has a big question mark in terms of injury.

I lived in Indiana for a year and there are no more conservative folks but they would ABSOLUTELY RIOT if the Colts did this.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 22, 2011 03:48PM

I dont think its unpopular. I think its a legit scenario.

Franchise QB's are way more important than franchise LT's. I think we would be in 1st place in the AFC East if we had Matt Ryan.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 03:52PM by Aqua&Orange.

Date: December 22, 2011 03:51PM

On the contrary A & O, I think it would be WILDLY POPULAR......in Miami....but in Indianapolis, that would be a different story.

Date: December 22, 2011 03:53PM

What if we offer Long and Marshall? Imagine Long blocking for Manning. Imagine Manning throwing to Marshall. If Indy thinks Manning will come back, this could net them 1 or 2 more Superbowls. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind giving those guys up if we could replace Long with our 1st rounder and sign a decent FA WR (or, perhaps, make Hartline our #1?).

Indy would get 2 sure-thing Pro-Bowl players to go with their EXISTING all-world QB, and we'd get our future at QB for the next 10 years.

Date: December 22, 2011 03:58PM

Our #1 pick, Jake Long and Brandon Marshall.

---------------------

Date: December 22, 2011 04:14PM

Thats like taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Marino wasn't worth a shit without Richmound Webb. You can have the best running back in the world, he stills needs lineman to block. Sorry he is the Foundation of our offense. Trade him and you set the team back years.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 22, 2011 04:20PM

Not a bad idea and if peyton is healthy they might consider that. Supposedly Reggie Wayne wants out and like Miami

Date: December 22, 2011 04:38PM

Quote:

"Marino wasn't worth a shit without Richmound Webb."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Wait...wait...wait...

Did you just say that Dan Marino, the greatest QB of all time, wasnt $hit without Richmond Webb?

Are you smoking crack??

---------------------

Date: December 22, 2011 04:40PM

And no thread goes on too long without Treasure providing the necessary comic relief.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 22, 2011 04:40PM

You guys are dreaming if you think the Colts would trade the # 1 pick straight up for Long (is that what you were suggesting Monty?) It would take multiple picks (our #1 included) PLUS Long to get the #1.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 22, 2011 04:45PM

it would take long, our first, next years first, and more picks to get the #1 overall. you really think indy would trade a franchise QB for an OL? Haven't we all been going on about how stupid it was to take long instead of ryan? totally delusional scenario. but yes, if we could trade long for the #1 overall I'd do it in a heartbeat. indy? never in 1 billion yrs

Date: December 22, 2011 04:49PM

Well the value just went up even more with Barkley not coming out.

What if Luck, Barkley, and RG3 all go back 2 school and come out next year?

That would be crazy.

---------------------

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 22, 2011 07:23PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Marino wasn't worth a shit without Richmound Webb.
>

confused smiley

Date: December 22, 2011 07:29PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Well the value just went up even more with Barkley
> not coming out.
>
>
> What if Luck, Barkley, and RG3 all go back 2
> school and come out next year?
>
> That would be crazy.

Crap. That's what it would be.

Date: December 22, 2011 07:31PM

it is amazing to me that people actually think any team would trade andrew luck for jake long straight up. the word is the price for luck is something like 3 1st round picks and more. is there any OL in history you could get 3 1st round picks for? no. and why would the colts trade what is supposedly a once-in-a-generation QB for an OL anyway? in hindsight everyone knows it was a mistake to take long over ryan, and luck is a much higher rated prospect than ryan ever was. come on guys, think.

Date: December 22, 2011 08:22PM

Well berk, I don't agree with your last sentence. Matty-ball has not really set the world on fire. Far from it. And until last week, I thought we had made the right choice picking an all-pro lineman. Of course, you can never figure on injuries but I'm not at all dissatisfied with that draft choice.

Now, you may complain about us not getting a QB but you seem a little desperate to me to suggest that we should have picked Matt Ryan over Jake Long even though he's an all-pro and he's the best offensive tackle to come along in pro football in quite a while.

But NOW TO TRADE THE ANDREW LUCK FOR JAKE LONG would be silly for anyone who had that first choice.

Date: December 23, 2011 03:39AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Quote:
>
> "Marino wasn't worth a shit without Richmound
> Webb."
>
>
>
> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> &&&&&&
> Wait...wait...wait...
>
>
> Did you just say that Dan Marino, the greatest QB
> of all time, wasnt $hit without Richmond Webb?
>
> Are you smoking crack??

I just put a Name to it. But Yes , Like any decent QB or RB for that matter will state, without adaquete blocking they can not do what they do. Thats just Football 101.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 23, 2011 04:22AM

Date: December 23, 2011 04:51AM

But Indy HAS a quality QB. If Manning comes back, they will need other pieces to get the most out of him and get to another Superbowl..unless they're just throwing in the towel on his career.

Date: December 23, 2011 05:14AM

this debate sounds like the john jerry vs jake long thread, only for real this time.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 23, 2011 06:49AM

Peyton is a question mark. How is the recovery effecting him mentally? Will he have full motion with his head and upper body? Is he concerned over being slammed to the ground and permanently injured? All these things and more must be going through his mind. He's probably wondering, if this is it for him. I hope not. He's been fun to watch, has a great sense of humor too. Not sure if I want to see him on tv as as sports analyst quite yet. When the time comes, maybe he could get his own sitcom, you know a show about nothing -- like Seinfeld. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 23, 2011 07:13AM

If indy beats Jacksonville the Rams may be #1. Mel Kiper thinks they would keep Bradford so a pro bowl lineman in a package might entice them. He al;so said Minnesota would dump Ponder for Luck if they are picking #1

Phins would have to repalce Jake through drafft and FA, but getting the top QB would be something to consider

The alternatives are Moore, Flynn, Tannehil/Cousins/Foles/K Moore and adding extra picks picks

I think reality is we need extra picks and to hit on them more than we miss which is the challenge for every sports team. At least with a bunch of picks we have a greater chance for succesful draft than if you miss on one or two. that is unless we think we are a QB & one or two other players away.

Date: December 23, 2011 07:18AM

if stl gets the top pick, I think we'd need to give up (1) this year's first (2) next years first (3) this years 2d (4) next years 3d AND (5) Jake Long to get it done.

question is--would you do that? a jake long straight up for the #1 overall offer would get you laughed off the phone.

st L needs a LT big time, so I think this is a legit scenario.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 23, 2011 07:56AM

A bit off topic but, you guys think Indy would take RG3 if they were picking 2nd? His style and Mannings are so polar opposites, would they even consider this move? Barkley staying really put this draft in a tail spin.

Date: December 23, 2011 08:09AM

I don't think indy takes RG3 at #2. They'd trade out of that spot to another team who wants him, or take Kalil at OT. RG3 is not a sure thing the way luck is viewed, and not worth pissing manning off over.

Date: December 23, 2011 09:41AM

One other thing to consider is that with Barkley not coming out, that increases the value of Luck and RGIII making the price for them go up.

It's not only a flat consideration of what the draft choice is worth which is one thing but what a team can demand depending on the buyer's need which is quite another thing.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 23, 2011 02:05PM

We won't get Luck because the price too high, three first round picks is insane...It's too high for Griffin too if he goes in the top three picks and we have to move up from seven (currently) to get him.

We need to lose our last two games and we need some teams to win thier last two...then things will get interesting.

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 23, 2011 03:10PM

It would take more than Long to get Luck.

Also if we were going to make a run at Luck I would rather trade more future picks and keep Long. Why not have a great left tackle to protect your premiere investment? You don't want to handcuff the kid.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 23, 2011 03:15PM

Forget about Luck. He's history. Stick a fork in it. Absolutely not worth the asking price.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.