HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland not horrible
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ireland not horrible
Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 17, 2011 06:32AM

I know there is all this tal;k about canning Ireland....but this last draft was pretty good.

Pouncey, Thomas, Gates, Clay and Wilson is a solid draft.

His failure to get a QB is MOST likely tied to marching orders from Ross. When Ross failed to get Harbaugh the 2011 season became a holding pattern for the eventual rebuild. No significant free agent signings, no big trades.

Not saying he is great....but his first draft was a good one. And if there is truth to the rumour that Parcells called Sean Payton and told him to grab Jimmy Graham before we did....then it looks like the draft could have been even better.

If he gets canned? I won't cry....but I am not in a hurry to see him fired unless we are bringing in someone who has a PROVEN track record of draft success.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland not horrible
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 17, 2011 06:51AM

Agreed realist, but get ready to get flamed.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 07:06AM

no he is not "horrible," but is that really the standard? not being horrible does not seem like a valid reason for him and him alone getting a pass for the "trifecta" debacle, especially when his mere presence makes it much less likely we get a "top" coach, and when from all accounts players and other nfl execs do not like him at all. To overcome all that, I want evidence that he is a great, or at least very good GM, and I see nothing like that at all.
if, after bringing in a new coach and personell guy, those guys want to keep him on to help evaluate players, I am OK with that---but there is nothing ireland has shown that qualifies him to be the "face" of the team, picking the next coach with all personnel authority

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: December 17, 2011 07:42AM

this staff (dont know who to give the credit to cause everyone has a scout team responsible for bringing talent). But i think this team was outstanding at that. the only knock i had was sparano being so conservative. I hope the talent aspect is not lost...

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 17, 2011 08:18AM

i completely agree with ireland being ok. no one in this league hits on everyone unless your Ted Thompson. not sure when ireland started to make the calls on personnel but since ireland came here we have added quality young players at almost every single position. we have potential at almost every position. he has made mistakes, sure, but so does every other GM.

also, just curious on this one, where are the reports that say no one want to work with ireland and that people in the league do not respect him? i havent really heard this and am just wondering who the sources are.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 17, 2011 08:51AM

Im with you, Realist.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 17, 2011 12:33PM

I'm ok with keeping Ireland as long as it doesn't cost us a chance at a good coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2011 12:33PM by montequi.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 17, 2011 12:45PM

Oh, Ireland is SO gone if I had anything to say about it and I would send Ross away too but that is impossible.

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 17, 2011 01:01PM

I think Ireland has done a good job.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 17, 2011 02:35PM

I 100% agree, Vic.

But I think it might cost us.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 17, 2011 02:38PM

It probably would if a Cower, Gruden or Fisher wants that power as well or "no deal."

Date: December 17, 2011 05:28PM

Like I said...unless we have a proven GM with his signature on paper...Ireland did enough in the last draft to make him a SAFE bet.

Date: December 17, 2011 05:31PM

me neither...the only think I can see is that guys like Cowher may not want to work for any GM.

I could see a structure where Carl Peterson becomes the tie breaker between a young GM and an experienced coach like Billick, Gruden, Fisher.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: December 18, 2011 10:06AM

Ireland is not even close to horrible.

He is never going to lay an egg in the draft.

However, is going to bypass some skill players for foundational guys.

Date: December 18, 2011 10:25AM

dan thomas isn't looking like a good pick. in general RBs either are good right away or not at all. When you trade up and take a RB in the 2d round you better be right. my point: people keep calling thomas a "good" pick, but I think it's just as likely a bad one

Date: December 18, 2011 10:33AM

Daniel Thomas just had a nice 27 yard run when they knew the run was coming.

I think Thomas is a better pick than the RB's that the Patsies selected before us.

Date: December 18, 2011 10:38AM

well those pats picks were horrendous reaches, at least 3 or 4 rounds too early. plus I don't think either went before thomas

Date: December 18, 2011 11:11AM

They selected Shane Vereen 6 picks before Daniel Thomas.

They took Stevan Ridley early in the 3rd. If they would have selected correctly...they could have had Demarco Murray & Roy Helu.

Date: December 18, 2011 11:19AM

yep horrible picks. bellichek makes a ton of them but he gets a pass bc he is bellichek. no one had either of those guys before the 4th or 5th

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 18, 2011 12:03PM

Ireland has done a good job. As for Thomas I think he will improve physically and that will limit the nagging injuries he suffered with this season. I also think he'll be better for working with Reggie Bush...Thomas is simply not getting the carries to become comfortable and get into a rithym because Bush is doing so well. I think we'll see the real Thomas next year. Of course that depends on what the new coach thinks, and again on how much he gets used.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: December 20, 2011 06:20AM

IF this was Irelands first all Ireland and only Ireland year he has done rather well.

The draft is looking good.

Moore is looking like a very solid QB

Bush is playing very well.

Barnett is finally coming around.

Id be very pleasee with another season of this level of work.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 06:49AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Id be very pleasee with another season of this
> level of work.

I wouldn't. I wouldnt be pleased to see another 5 win season. Sorry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.