Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          sporano fired and hello carl peterson!!!!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
sporano fired and hello carl peterson!!!!
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 10:50AM

wanted to be the first to report this wonderful news! it's on twitter per adam schefter. I have full faith in the great jeff ireland's ability to choose the next coach----not!!
. . . .and . . . .
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Also, #Dolphins owner Stephen Ross plans to hire former Chiefs prez Carl Peterson to front office role once held by Bill Parcells #NFL32

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 10:53AM by berkeley223.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sporano fired
Date: December 12, 2011 10:52AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 10:54AM by berkeley223.

Re: sporano fired and hello carl peterson!!!!
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 10:55AM

As long as they draft a QB in the first round, I don't care who is in the front office. Trade up to get RGIII or Barkley. If they don't solve the QB problem, no one will succeed here.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 12, 2011 10:57AM

Oh..I am NOT surprised by this at all. I have a feeling this has been Ross's plan since before the season began.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 10:58AM

Stephen Ross should just Hire Homey The Clown as well to make every dolphin fan dreams a reality.

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: December 12, 2011 11:03AM

Saw that one coming, but honestly not this soon. Wonder who will be on the sideline next Sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 11:07AM by Dolphacolyte.

Posted by: gnrbaby ()
Date: December 12, 2011 11:09AM

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: December 12, 2011 11:14AM

Todd Bowles to interim. Let's see how it goes.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 12, 2011 11:20AM

Well, at least we're keeping Nolan at DC where he belongs.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 11:28AM

This is horrible news. Carl Peterson....I think I am going to be sick. If he continues to run this team through next year, I am resigning after 33 years a Miami Dolphins fan and joining the Patriots fan base with hopes that they will beat up Peterson's horrible team until the Dolphins lose all value and Ross sells the team. sad smileysad smileysad smiley

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 12, 2011 11:50AM

Just saw the TV announcement by Ross. Sparano is gone. An interim HC will see it through the season.

It's about time. Thank you Mr. Ross.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:01PM

Well then goodbye Toko34:

You obviously don't know much about Carl Peterson.

"Peterson served in the roles of President and GM from 1989–2008 and hired four head coaches for the Chiefs during his tenure: Marty Schottenheimer, Gunther Cunningham, Dick Vermeil, and Herman Edwards.

Upon his arrival to Kansas City, he made one of the most important hires in the team's history when naming Marty Schottenheimer head coach. Schottenheimer led the team to its most successful period since Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Hank Stram paced Kansas City's sidelines.

Prior to Peterson's arrival, the Chiefs had made only one playoff appearance in the previous 18 years. The Chiefs were the NFL's winningest team in the 1990s, won four AFC West championships, and played in the team's only AFC Championship Game in January 1994. Over Peterson's 20 years, the Chiefs' record was 176-141-1 and qualified for the NFL playoffs nine times.

Under Peterson's leadership, three Kansas City assistant coaches ultimately went on to lead teams to Super Bowl championships as head coaches: Bill Cowher (Pittsburgh Steelers; Super Bowl XL), Tony Dungy (Indianapolis Colts; Super Bowl XLI) and Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers; Super Bowl XLV). Peterson also hired Vermeil as Kansas City's head coach in 2001, two years after he had led the St. Louis Rams to victory in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Four current NFL team general managers also built their portfolios as members of the Chiefs' front office under Peterson: Tom Dimitroff (Atlanta Falcons), Mark Dominik (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Jeff Ireland (Miami Dolphins) and John Schneider (Seattle Seahawks). In addition, National Football Scouting President Jeff Foster, a Chiefs scout under Peterson, now directs the annual NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis for all 32 NFL clubs.

Peterson’s impressive track record as a talent evaluator began during his days with the Philadelphia Eagles (1976–82) assisting head coach Dick Vermeil lead the Eagles to four consecutive playoff seasons and Super Bowl XV. He was subsequently selected to build the United States Football League’s Philadelphia Stars in July 1982. As the franchise’s president and general manager, he and head coach Jim Mora Sr. proceeded to assemble the most successful team in the league’s three-year existence, capturing USFL titles in 1984 and 1985. The Stars' 48-13-1 overall record during regular and postseason play, amassing a 7-1 postseason record, was the best of any USFL club. His efforts were rewarded in 1983 and 1984, when he was named The Sporting News’ USFL Executive of the Year.

Date: December 12, 2011 12:03PM

report is now peterson hasn't been hired but I am sure this will come in time.
seeing twitter updates of the press conference. it is sickening, ross and ireland talking about how the team has a good foundation and doesn't need a rebuild (i.e., "we're close" like in the wanny days). and ross saying that he and ireland will pick the coach and it's important that the coach and GM work well together. HELLO? wtf is it exactly about Ireland that allows him to keep his job, and makes working with HIM a prerequisite to hiring a coach? So if Gruden or Fisher wants the job and doesn't like Ireland than it's see ya Gruden and Fisher??
guys---expect more of the same horribleness for years to come.

Date: December 12, 2011 12:22PM

I knew it was going to happen , but I am surprised it happened 4 games before the season ended. Guess Ross wants to get his Pick of the Coaching litter? Either way I'm good with it. I just hope the Interim coach doesn't get all balls to ball on us and try to screw up the draft pick..........

Date: December 12, 2011 12:25PM

the bigger story and very very very troubling is the retention of ireland and his role in the next coach, and ross's statement about his this team is talented (i.e., just needs some tweaks). are you guys actually missing this point? this franchise is doomed!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:37PM

the real problem, you dont get Top Tier Coach, with Jeff Ireland still in place......No top guy is coming with out choosing his GM... They have made half of the new coaching searches and interviews, not about the best coach... But the best coach that is willing to work with Jeff Ireland as his boss...That greatly reduces the quality and available coaches imediately.... Axing Tony and keeping Ireland is horrible for this organization. Especially with Irelands reputation of selling Tony down the river to save himself....

Date: December 12, 2011 12:46PM

this a really a dark day. everyone knew sporano was gone, but the ONLY good thing about this travesty of a season was it was a reality check that we need A LOT---starting with a new coach, GM, and QB. Now we get this "We're talented" BS (anyone with a brain can see we are not!),and we need a coach who can work with jeff Ireland crap. My prediction---next HC will be Eric Mangini or Josh McDaniels or some utter cretin like that, who else would take this job where the main citeria is willingness to take orders from Jeff Ireland???

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:47PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the real problem, you dont get Top Tier Coach,
> with Jeff Ireland still in place

Now you're right about that, Crowder, and if I hadn't had to spend so much time on this board defending my position of needing to fire Sparano, I would have been begging for the firing of Ireland as well. Let's hope he is next to go.

Date: December 12, 2011 12:48PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> this a really a dark day. everyone knew sporano
> was gone, but the ONLY good thing about this
> travesty of a season was it was a reality check
> that we need A LOT---starting with a new coach,
> GM, and QB. Now we get this "We're talented" BS
> (anyone with a brain can see we are not!),and we
> need a coach who can work with jeff Ireland crap.
> My prediction---next HC will be Eric Mangini or
> Josh McDaniels or some utter cretin like that, who
> else would take this job where the main citeria is
> willingness to take orders from Jeff Ireland???

Dude..........Lighten up! This is a start of a new day. smileys with beer

berkeley223 Wrote:

berkeley223 Wrote:

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:54PM

Ken: Total KC Chiefs super bowl appearances during Peterson's tenure? Zero.

Enough Said.

Berk is right I forsee a Mangina-Peterson-Ireland Crapfecta... and Toko laughing at the people that stayed on the stinking ship as he sails away towards other shores.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:59PM

Carl Peterson is very close and good friends with Bill Cowher.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: December 12, 2011 01:01PM

firing sporano while keeping ireland is like trimming the fingernail of a cancerous arm. it barely fixes a thing while the real damage festers and spreads and destroys everything in time!!

Date: December 12, 2011 01:03PM

ChyrenB Wrote:

> Now you're right about that, Crowder, and if I
> hadn't had to spend so much time on this board
> defending my position of needing to fire Sparano,
> I would have been begging for the firing of
> Ireland as well. Let's hope he is next to go.

You are going to be doing alot more defending of your position in the future my friend, the way this thing is setting up... So get ready... As I said firing Sparano was not the best way to go for this organization and know you are going to see the foresight I was referring to in real time...get ready.... The problem of this organiation is the entire management from Ross to Ireland... Guess what they are all still in place... Top Coaches understand that, and so do the players...

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 12, 2011 01:09PM

What is it about Ireland that allows him to keep his job? Simple, he's done a good one.

Most of the previous mistakes with personnel were not the fault of him...blame Parcells instead.

It's simple, if Parcells is your boss and he dosen't think you need a QB you don't draft one. Parcells thinks that a strong running game, strong defense and larger players that can out muscle the opposition are the keys to winning football...but it is not so much anymore.

Cameron had it right but didn't get the chance to implement it...speed, ellusiveness, great hands, and big plays from every position are the key's, along with power at the RB position. To win in today's NFL you must have those things and attack, attack, attack...then you must attack some more.

You must have a good QB but he must be surrounded by enough of what I listed above so that defenses can't match up, or slow you down.

Date: December 12, 2011 01:14PM

so the few good decisions ireland gets the credit, and the many terrible ones, blame parcells. have you been talking to steve ross? b/c it sure sounds like that's the kind of advice he's been getting.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 12, 2011 01:38PM

Date: December 12, 2011 01:47PM

I think Sparano could have been successful with the right people in place above him that were inspriing to play for. Ultimately on the football side, that starts with Ireland..... We shall see, if the decision to fire Sparano leads to more succes then Sparano had during his tenure or not.....only time will tell. At this point I still think not, my friend, you thought it would... We shall see

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 12, 2011 01:47PM

We probably never had a chance at Gruden (ESPN) or Cowher(doesn't seem to interested in leaving the couch), maybe Fisher could of been had (and maybe he still can even with Jeff), having said that, i'm OK (not ecstatic, but OK) with retaining Ireland, if he hires the right coach and drafts a QB early.
Contrary to popular beliefs, Jeff's done a decent job with his drafts, and by keeping him in place, it ensures there wont be a total roster rebuild. Time will tell I guess

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.