HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Gruden, Cowher, Fisher
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Gruden, Cowher, Fisher
Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 09, 2011 06:48PM

OK, So I have in the past advocated for hiring 1 of these guys. AND...if Sparano is eventually fired?...I can support it. BUT...looking at their records...guess what ...It supports the idea of keeping Sparano.

Gruden as a coach

Raiders 8-8, 8-8, gets a new QB..12-4, 10-6
Bucs 12-4, wins Superbowl, 7-9, 5-11, 11-5, 4-12, 9-7, 9-7

Cowher

11-5,9-7,12-4,11-5,10-6,11-5,7-9,6-10,9-7,13-3,10-5,8-8

Fisher

7-9, 8-8,8-8,8-8,13-3,13-3,7-9,11-5,12-4,5-11,4-12,8-8,10-6,13-3,8-8,6-10

What I see is evidence that these coaches are just as capable of crappy seasons as anybody else. The difference is that they were afforded the time to fix it. Cowher has the best record, but even he had teams follow up 11-5 with 7-9 and 6-10

Having the right players, having the right schedule, injuries, etc. These coaches had bad seasons and followed them up with success...only to have the team struggle again. And when Tom Brady hits the wall....BIll will experience the same rollercoaster.

So...Sparano has been with us a while. Only an idiot would ignore Parcell's role in the first 2-3 years. SO Sparano is now getting HIS handle on things...has found a way to win a back-up QB, some cast-offs and a bunch of rookies.

Looks like he is primed to join the ranks of those successful coaches everyone wants to bring in. Just remember...they may not have immediate success either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gruden, Cowher, Fisher
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 09, 2011 08:38PM

If the 0-3 finish from the past two seasons does an about face, then maybe things really might be starting to change.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 10, 2011 02:47AM

Take a look at penalties. Sparano has had an issue with discipline since he's been here. These other 3 were very disciplined coaches, especially Fisher.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 10, 2011 02:54AM

Aren't the Dolphins one of the least penalized teams in the league?

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 10, 2011 03:46AM

What I think many fail to realize is very rarely can you just swap a coach. You pull Sparano you run the risk of losing:

Nolan- good proven defensive coordinator.

Daboll- a young creative offensive coordinator who has this team moving the ball and putting up points now that they know the system.

Players- who right now are playing inspired football and look to be creating some chemistry.(Bush, Moore, Marshall, etc.)

Ireland- who has work history with Sparano.

I feel we stand to lose more than we will gain.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 10, 2011 06:24AM

We need a franchise QB #1.

That should be the #1 priority.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 10, 2011 08:37AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aren't the Dolphins one of the least penalized
> teams in the league?

Yes, we are currently ranked sixth best, according to teamrankings.com

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 10, 2011 09:09AM

JC Wrote:
> Hooligan2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Aren't the Dolphins one of the least penalized
> > teams in the league?
>
>
> Yes, we are currently ranked sixth best, according
> to teamrankings.com

thanks JC,
Why always misconceptions everywhere surrounding the publics perception of this team..... Hello everybody...
We lost most of these games this season because our defense had horribly digressed come start of the year, yes and we have probably the most sought after defensive cordinators in the NFL..
The offense with a brand new coach and system and horrible play from the offensive line has progressed under our original starter and now back up, Matt Moore... During the offseason, I heard everyone hate on how we handled the QB position, but in my eyes we questionably picked up the best QB, anyone picked up last year... And our fans hated on it every step of the way..... If I know one thing, is the fans dont know sh*t, and have no accountability towards anything they say or suggest, and when they are wrong, they just act like they never said it...lol...hell of a predicament or no win situation to put these players,coaches and GM's in, IMO.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 10, 2011 09:14AM

You're a fan Crowder. Just in case you've forgotten.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 10, 2011 09:30AM

of course, but I actually read stats, and pay attention and not claiming that our team lacks discipline, and our amount of penalites prove it, when we in reality the Dolphins are one of the least penalized well disciplined teams in the NFL under Sparano...and I dont put the coaches and players in that position, unless something has been said by them, that I comment on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 09:49AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 10, 2011 11:11AM

You said it yourself. Fans don't know sh*t and you are a fan and you are proving with every post that you are right...................at least as to how it applies to you yourself.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 10, 2011 01:36PM

sporano is gone simply bc ross knows he won't sell tix or get the fans interest if he returns next year. Of the 3 coaches listed above, gruden is really the only one I'd want, since the other 2 are smashmouth guys and I have serious doubts about cowher's drive anymore. All I hear is he won't leave unless it is the perfect situtation---I guess he's not interested in a challenge? ok then.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 10, 2011 02:03PM

Agreed, Gruden is the only one worth the gamble IMHO...Ross needs to know that fans will be there if the team wins...if we keep Sparano and half of the fans revolt. They will return by the third week if the teams is winning. Us fans are a fickle and easily swayed lot. All it takes is W's.

No new coach is going to flip a light switch and magically turn the team into 15-1 division winners...it'll take time, if it happens at all.

We've "seemingly" got good things going...it'd be a shame to throw it all away if we don't absolutely have to.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 10, 2011 04:04PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> sporano is gone simply bc ross knows he won't sell
> tix or get the fans interest if he returns next
> year.

I think there'd be fan interest with no change in HC if we draft a marquee quarterback.

I'm not saying it's likely to actually happen, but if we drafted a big name QB that would generate fan buzz and sell some tickets, initially.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 10, 2011 06:49PM

If the teams wins out with convincing wins....the number of fans clamoring for Sparano's departure will be small. The majority of fans will be ambivelant...and the number of fans calling for Sparano to be kept will be larger and louder than all groups.

If we keep Sparano and the team goes 3-0 all will be forgotten. The fans will all fall in line.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 11, 2011 07:23AM

according to espn.com, sporano had 83% fan approval. i don't know how they get these numbers but it seems like fans would be ok with keeping sporano assuming he continues to win.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 11, 2011 11:33AM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> according to espn.com, sporano had 83% fan
> approval. i don't know how they get these numbers
> but it seems like fans would be ok with keeping
> sporano assuming he continues to win.

Heck, better than Obama!! Sparano for President!! Just not the Phins coach tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.