Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What does it take to Start out winning in Miami?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
What does it take to Start out winning in Miami?
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 09, 2011 06:38AM

I'd like to see next year Miami change the way it writes incentives into contracts - All contracts!

Incentives in Miami need to recognize the current team's propensity to NOT BE READY to PLAY in September.

- Thus bonuses be targeted for win ratio early on, as well as overall season.
- I expect we have players making bonuses after the season chances for playoffs are over due to stats that are meaningless in the win loss columns

Your thoughts?

What else do we need? new Coach , new incentives, New QB? Other?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 06:39AM by Phinjim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What does it take to Start out winning in Miami?
Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: December 09, 2011 06:51AM

2010 started 4-4 including win over eventual Super Bowl Champ Green Bay. Losses - Pitt, Balt, NYJ, NE.

2009 started 3-5 including 2 wins over the Jets who made the AFC Championship game. Losses to Atlanta, Indy, San Diego, New Orleans, New England.

It's not like we lost to crappy teams early on in those seasons. This season??? If we score TDs instead of kick FGs, our season would be much different.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 06:53AM

first off, the team is not going to rewrite everyone's contract to pay them extra money to win games early in the season. this is what the players should be doing anyway. if we'd need to pay them extra money to do that, then we have the wrong players!

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: December 09, 2011 07:21AM

New players, new coaching staff, new front office, new owner, new equipment manager, new gatoraid bucket, new cleats, new grass on the playing field, new training equipment, new practice schedule, new QB, new play book, etc..

The only thing that we do not need new now is the team logo. Can you hear the Indy fans down in south flordia celebrating their successful 2011 season? I can here in Louisville.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 08:01AM

Doug-THE-Dolfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New players, new coaching staff, new front office,
> new owner, new equipment manager, new gatoraid
> bucket, new cleats, new grass on the playing
> field, new training equipment, new practice
> schedule, new QB, new play book, etc..

Exactly...........Keep cheerleaders though...........Unless you can get about 15 jennifer lopez which we will not.....Keep em.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 08:08AM

New....fans?

Rick

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 09, 2011 08:43AM

Every year is different, but this year the lockout obviously hurt this team in a substantial way. Other than that, scheduling can make a big difference. And I’m amazed (NOT) how cheating ass teams like NE get all the soft spots and breaks that way. But that can be an excuse to a degree because sooner or later you just have to beat teams down and crank out the wins.

One of the big keys to winning early is consistency from year to year, verses being a work in progress year after year, which we have been. Every season it’s a new QB, or OC, or a boat load of other personal moves that always define this team in transition. So IMO consistency and coherency promote success in the early part of the season. And with the truncated preseason, and less physical training camp, this consideration is even all the more important.

So it’s a BIG advantage to have stability at critical positions, and of course QB is #1. But also having a rock solid (stable group) OL makes a big difference as well. Beyond that, keeping the WR’s and QB together promotes consistent performance and helps the OC be creative with game plans (in the sense the QB & receivers are fundamentally on the same page and they can adapt week in and week out).

Michael Irvin was yacking about the “team dynamic” that’s so critical in the NFL. He mentioned he’s won championships’ at every level – but ONLY with the right chemistry. And if you look around the leaguer, the teams who maintain consistency and continuity do well year in and year out. I’d state that consistency and continuity lead to team chemistry, and that’s what I believe (HOPE) is happening on the Dolphins right now.

If (???) that’s the case, the last thing you want to do is mess that up with severe changes. Tweaks and refinements are always good. And building-out your core plan is important, hence, I say invest again BIG in the OL and finish that project. After this year, it’s a guarantee everyone on the team understands the importance of the off-season and being 100% devoted to being ready on opening day.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 08:50AM

BNF....Quote....If (???) that’s the case, the last thing you want to do is mess that up with severe changes.

Just a rookie allstar QB.....Thats all most of us want.

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 09, 2011 09:04AM

Big nasty fish nailed it. Quit changing, we are starting to show signs of strong chemistry right now.

Hopefully Ross stays away.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 09, 2011 09:50AM

Number one NEW COACH....everything else is a matter of degree.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 09, 2011 10:14AM

1. All contracts, meant as they become up for review, as incentives are negotiated.

2. Big nasty:
- Not buying short season did us in. We had a lot of people coming back, same coach, and btw everyone else has the same issues.
Every year its up to the staff to get their people ready to win. We came out flat, and out of shape, and confused.

- Consistency thing I get, but you have to be making progress. We came out backing up, and couldn't win until it didn't matter, then we had what it took to win only after there was nothing to play for. Loser mentality and low maturity.

Good teams don't do that. South Florida under shula had an advantage when teams played in September because we were used to the heat and in shape.

- Sparano micromanged what he didn't know how to do as well as his coordinators. When he got out of their hair they started winning. Not giving the credit to Sparano for that. Leaders already know that before they are 0-7.

- Give it to you on QB important - Tony S was the one who wanted to hang on to Henne, and also micromanaged him to be a failure in my humble opinion.

Bottom line - I'm tired of accepting mediocracy or actually worse in Miami. Keeping everything the same just isn't working here. This was the last year for the crew that came in with Parcells. It started dropping after year two, when Parcells lost confidence in the decisions being made, including keeping Henne.

Yes we need a quality QB. Wish the second half heroics had been part of a team that has what it takes to do that early on. Look who we lost to this year ugh.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 09, 2011 02:03PM

Phinjim Wrote:
> 1. All contracts, meant as they become up for
> review, as incentives are negotiated.
>
> 2. Big nasty:
> - Not buying short season did us in. We had a lot
> of people coming back, same coach, and btw
> everyone else has the same issues.
> Every year its up to the staff to get their people
> ready to win. We came out flat, and out of shape,
> and confused.

RE: I'm not saying the short season did us in...but I think it contributed greatly to our struggles. Because we brought in a new OC, changed the offensive system and terminology, replaced virtually the entire RB corps, re-shuffled the O-Line again, and had vitually zero communication, coaching. Yes other teams had to endure this too, but the really good teams this year didn't install new offenses and had the real benefit of being together and on the same page from last year.

Unless we can get Gruden...I think changing up the team now and starting over would simply set us back another four to five seasons. Do we really want to do that again?
>
> - Consistency thing I get, but you have to be
> making progress. We came out backing up, and
> couldn't win until it didn't matter, then we had
> what it took to win only after there was nothing
> to play for. Loser mentality and low maturity.

RE: I think the improvements over the past five weeks demonstrate that we are improving. I wan't to see if it continues before making a decision.
>
>
> Good teams don't do that. South Florida under
> shula had an advantage when teams played in
> September because we were used to the heat and in
> shape.

RE: Shula also had continuity with every aspect of the team from year to year much more often than not. And didn't really have free agency to deal with.
>
> - Sparano micromanged what he didn't know how to
> do as well as his coordinators. When he got out
> of their hair they started winning. Not giving
> the credit to Sparano for that. Leaders already
> know that before they are 0-7.

RE: Maybe so, but it is starting look as if he's learning and doing better...thats all we can ask of him really.
>
> - Give it to you on QB important - Tony S was the
> one who wanted to hang on to Henne, and also
> micromanaged him to be a failure in my humble
> opinion.

RE: And yet he did improve markedly from last year...
>
> Bottom line - I'm tired of accepting mediocracy or
> actually worse in Miami. Keeping everything the
> same just isn't working here. This was the last
> year for the crew that came in with Parcells. It
> started dropping after year two, when Parcells
> lost confidence in the decisions being made,
> including keeping Henne.
>
> Yes we need a quality QB. Wish the second half
> heroics had been part of a team that has what it
> takes to do that early on. Look who we lost to
> this year ugh.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 02:46PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Number one NEW COACH....everything else is a
> matter of degree.

Maybe we can get Cam Cameron or even Dave Wannstedt, I hear he is available...

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 09, 2011 02:56PM

Chyren-
maybe even Mike SIngletary or Brian Billick, or Leslie Frazer, or Ken Wisenhut, or Josh Mcdaniels, or Wade Phillips or Mike Mularkey or Dick Jauron or STeve Mariucci, or Rod Marinelli, or Marvin Lewis, or Dave Campo or Dennis Green, or Eric Mangini, or Brad Childress, or Dom Capers, or Jim Zorn or Mike SHanahagn since he has done so much in Washington in 2 years, should I go on, because there are plenty more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 02:58PM by Crowder52.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.