HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          QB trap
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
QB trap
Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 22, 2011 09:40AM

So there is a saying...or conventional wisdom...that a good back-up can win you 3 games.

Moore has done that.

So now we look to see what else he can do. How many games he can win.

But the rest of the schedule is Cowboys, Raiders, Eagles, Bills, Jets, Pats.

The Cowboys have a good pass defence...but not dominant.
Eagles too.

Bills and Pats suck at pass defence.

The Jets are the best passing defence we will face this season....and it will be the last game of the season. So it could be meaningless...or it could be a high stakes game.

I will be interested to see how Moore plays against the Cowboys....but that is the only solid opportunity to judge Moore's calibre of talent...until the Jets game.

I am afraid that we lose to Dallas respectably...and then he builds a bunch of stats against weak pass defences....and they decide to lock him up and not draft someone.

The Cowboys, Eagles and possibly the Jets are the barometer games for Moore. If he completes 60%..low INT's and scores in the redzone against those teams? I will start drinking the kool-aid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: QB trap
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: November 22, 2011 04:41PM

I haven't seen too much not to like with Matt Moore.

Early on he was forcing too many throws to Marshall. But, I think he is settling down in this system and finding new targets (Clay, Fasano...)

He moves the team and we are succeeding more in the redzone.

What is not to like?

IMO, he needs to be able to find the open receiver a little quicker and continue to get the ball around to guys like Hartline and our new speedy WR.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:04PM

Moore is improving. One thing he needs to get better at is his reading through his progressions. The reason his yards per attempt is so low, and the reason that Hartline has become a forgotten man (and Bess to an extent, too), is because he makes one read and then checks it down to a RB or TE. He doesn't work through his reads. I would like to see us taking more shots downfield, too. But, not sure if that is on Moore, or the plays just aren't being called.

The blocking of the o-line has improved significantly since early in the season. A month into the season, the o-line ranked dead last in pass blocking at profootballfocus.com. Since then, we have moved up to 21st. The last 3 weeks, the overall line has actually earned positive grades for pass blocking in each game. One result of this is that the offense has actually been able to use Fasano (and Clay) in the passing game. This has been particularly important in the red zone. We've also established an ability to run the ball into the endzone. Moore deserves a lot of credit for not turning the ball over, and being efficient in the red zone. But, the improvement in the o-line and the running game has played a very crucial role in improving the red zone efficiency. And of course, the fact that Marshall only has 1 dropped TD since the Chargers game.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:36PM

I don't care what he does the rest of the year. we must draft one of the big QBs in the 1st round next year. end of story

Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 23, 2011 03:03PM

I like what I see too...but...is the calibre of defense he is facing good enough to get a good read on him?

So far he has played very well against teams that are not strong defenses.

Cowboys, Eagles and Jets have strong pass defense.Those will be the games to watch.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 23, 2011 03:34PM

Mark,

The reason why everybody is playing better is because Moore is vastly outplaying Henne.

Better QB play makes everyone on the team better.

But we better get one of the top guys next draft.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: November 23, 2011 03:57PM

a and o, some on here will make 1000 excuses for henne instead of seeing the truth right in front of them. henne was the problem, not a solution, and moore is outplaying him by a mile in just a few weeks with the team to henne's 3+ years

Date: November 24, 2011 06:08AM

Berk,

Nobody on here is as incompetently blind as Mark, though. Henne is a terrible starting QB. The entire team quits when he is the starter. Henne absolutely sucks.

Moore is having a great stretch, but anybody who actually trusts him to be our future starter, is as close to blind as Mark is.

We better invest in one of the top guys coming out next season.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 24, 2011 06:49AM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: November 24, 2011 08:07AM

I'm going to trust what Dan Marino feels about our QB situation - Matt Moore is good for the team now and is playing well, but this franchise still needs to look for a QB regardless to build around & to be the guy for the next 10-12 years. He isn't eliminating Moore from possibly being a long term QB here though as long as he continues to develop as a starter.

I find it interesting that Dan didn't mention Chad Henne at all. It seems like was being very careful about what he was saying and how he was saying it.

On a side note, Curt Warner surprisingly has Matt Moore as his 5th favorite QB in the league right now behind Rodgers, Romo, Cutler, & Brady.

To A&O -

I can understand your being apprehensive about Moore. I don't know if the concussion he got after getting clocked in his first game last year had anything to do about his struggles last season before he had a season ending shoulder injury, but my son has been a Panthers fan since day one of the expansion and he told me that having only Steve Smith to throw to & the rest of the team completely sucking didn't help him. He's pleased with Cam Newton as a rookie, but he's still frustrated that they're not winning.

Today will be a good game to continue to evaluate our team & it's QB. Will they keep getting it done or are they all a bunch of posers? I guess we'll know in a few hours from now.

Date: November 24, 2011 08:19AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
>
> The reason why everybody is playing better is
> because Moore is vastly outplaying Henne.
>
> Better QB play makes everyone on the team better.
>
>
> But we better get one of the top guys next draft.

Glad the Light bulb has finally went off. Lets hope the Dolphins Staff gets it.

Posted by: EpicDolphinFan ()
Date: November 24, 2011 02:41PM

Moore is our future QB, yes he take's sack's and could get better pockett awareness, but he has "IT".

No need to waste a high draft pick on a QB. We need HC and need to stock up on O-line and TE's.

Actualy take the best WR in the draft is what is needed with this years draft.

Followed by a LG I believe Murtha will be a solid RT when he comes back next year.

WR, second round RG, third round FS, fourth round TE.

Date: November 24, 2011 04:11PM

EpicDolphinFan Wrote:
> Moore is our future QB, yes he take's sack's and
> could get better pockett awareness, but he has
> "IT".
>
> No need to waste a high draft pick on a QB. We
> need HC and need to stock up on O-line and TE's.
>
> Actualy take the best WR in the draft is what is
> needed with this years draft.
>
> Followed by a LG I believe Murtha will be a solid
> RT when he comes back next year.
>
> WR, second round RG, third round FS, fourth round
> TE.

It might as well be 2005 all over again .This quote would have worked then as well. You can see how that worked out after Penny and Fielder. Your a fool to believe Moore is a gift from god after 3 wins against pathetic teams. We need a Top fledged passer if we are ever going to win a championship. Your mentality is the same that has gotten us into this mess after 10 years of mediocrity. WAKE UP AND SMELL WHAT THE ROCK HAS COOKING SON!!!!!!!!

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: November 24, 2011 04:21PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> It might as well be 2005 all over again .This
> quote would have worked then as well. You can see
> how that worked out after Penny and Fielder. Your
> a fool to believe Moore is a gift from god after 3
> wins against pathetic teams. We need a Top fledged
> passer if we are ever going to win a championship.
> Your mentality is the same that has gotten us into
> this mess after 10 years of mediocrity. WAKE UP
> AND SMELL WHAT THE ROCK HAS COOKING SON!!!!!!!!

I don't know if you're being facetious, but even if you are, you're still 100% correct. We beat up on three teams with no pass rush.

Moore's a good backup and he seems like a good guy, and I'm happy that we have him on the roster, but we still need to draft a top QB prospect!

Date: November 24, 2011 05:54PM

Moore has how many td's to int? What has his long ball completion percentage been?

How crappy is our o-line?

He has some issue's but he is far better than Henne.

Henne would be a nice back up this guy is a starter, no great but he has been looking good the past 4 week's even in this loss.

Date: November 24, 2011 09:25PM

Date: November 25, 2011 03:13AM

Epic,

Are you Matt Moore? If not, are you Stevie Wonder?

Matt Moore lost us that game yesterday. He makes boneheaded plays. He lost that snap from Pouncey and gave up a TD.

---------------------

Posted by: AFCbeast ()
Date: November 25, 2011 05:11AM

If not for a fastball snap / gimme touchdown to end the half...and if not for the reincarnation of "Phindoom" whereby we play "not to lose" and so do...then most of this thread pretty much goes away I'd bet.
Give the kid a few more weeks.

It's time to be thankful...

1. We couldn't get a deal done to get Orton (dodged a bullet) and then were witness to what would have been the 14th poor decision since Marino. NOTE: Does anybody here believe that he would have been any improvement over Matt?
2. We don't have Mark Sanchez at the helm (thank you Treasurecoast).
3. We didn't go after expensive free agents last year, have restructured some contracts freeing cap space, and continue to negotiate toward locking in our must keep vets. WE should be in great shape salary cap and placement wise for the draft.

GO PHINS !

Date: November 25, 2011 11:05AM

You people are seriously blind.

Moore did the same crap in Carolina. Had a good year in 2009, then pooped his pants in 2010.

If we put our trust in him going forward....we are in trouble.

---------------------

Date: November 27, 2011 03:41PM

U act as if it can get any worse?

Lol...

We been in trouble since Marino's last game.....sad smiley

Date: November 27, 2011 04:53PM

It cant get any worse.

We have the two worst starting QB's in the league on our roster....Moore and Henne.

---------------------

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: November 27, 2011 05:28PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> It cant get any worse.
>
>
> We have the two worst starting QB's in the league
> on our roster....Moore and Henne.

Now that is a ridiculous statement. You've clearly never heard of the Washington Redskins or their Qb's.

Date: November 27, 2011 05:50PM

or seattle's. or cleveland's. probably a few more.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 27, 2011 05:53PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> or seattle's. or cleveland's. probably a few more.

Or Indy

Date: November 27, 2011 06:10PM

well indy has a hall of famer recovering from injury on the bench, so I'll give them a pass

Date: November 27, 2011 06:35PM

He's recovering to be a QB coach. There's a decent chance he'll never play again.

Date: November 27, 2011 06:38PM

ok then put the cheifs in that mix too. and the texans.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 04:39PM

and the jets. moore is better than sanchez for sure. moore might be better than fitzpatrick and alex smith. moore is better than any healthy qbs in the AFC south. and better than caleb hannie. c'mon a&o, i still want to draft a franchise qb next year but give moore a little credit. is it so incredible to think he has improved. he showed flashes in 2009 with carolina. he got concussed in week 1 last season and was never healthy again which im guessing did not help his play. also, carolina is not very good. even with newton they are not winning many games.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:46AM

Moore is a solid QB. IF the team goes on and finishes 8-8 for the season that puts Moore with a solid winning season. Not sure how anyone can say he is not the answer.

If you add in the 4 games the coaching staff played not to lose AGAIN, Moore's winning % looks even better.

He could easily be 9-3 as a starter.. Ill take that

Date: November 29, 2011 06:02AM

dolphin Wrote:
> Moore is a solid QB. IF the team goes on and
> finishes 8-8 for the season that puts Moore with a
> solid winning season. Not sure how anyone can say
> he is not the answer.
You haven't been paying attention, then. PLENTY of people will say he's not the answer if we finish 8-8!!

> He could easily be 9-3 as a starter.. Ill take
> that
Jay Fiedler had a pretty good record too...but no one was dubbing him the next coming of Dan Marino.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.