Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Marshall..what the heck is your problem??!!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Marshall..what the heck is your problem??!!
Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: October 02, 2011 02:55PM

Dropped a 5 yard out for a first down and then short armed a long pass that could have been caught....but then he makes the harder catches. He is inconsistant, underachieving, and a big part of the problem. He Short armed a TD pass earlier in the season too. He is really pissin me off!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marshall..what the heck is your problem??!!
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 02, 2011 03:08PM

Marshall is grossly over rated. Put another way, he is an underachiever. IMO, there's something not right with this guy. It's like he mentally refuses to make the really big play. He accepts failure.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: October 02, 2011 03:09PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 02, 2011 03:16PM

Geez. After watching that Detroit/Dallas game and seeing Calvin Johnson, I see what Marshall COULD BE (at least be CLOSE to) if he wasn't so flaky.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: October 02, 2011 03:20PM

We got a depressed wide reciecver on prozac, and he is supposed to be our best offensive player no wonder we suck big time. Sparano it was nice knowing you good bye loser.

Date: October 02, 2011 03:23PM

Problem is, Sparano didn't trade for Marshall...Ireland did. I want to see BOTH those guys out of here.

Date: October 03, 2011 02:20AM

Wes Welker is going to set NFL records--we had him and traded him to the Pats. He was one guy with HOF talent and we traded him. Fill in all the expletives you want on that foible.

Date: October 03, 2011 02:24AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wes Welker is going to set NFL records--we had him
> and traded him to the Pats. He was one guy with
> HOF talent and we traded him. Fill in all the
> expletives you want on that foible.

It was tough justifying keeping Welker. I still have no issues with that move.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 03, 2011 03:49AM

colonel Wrote:
> Wes Welker is going to set NFL records--we had him
> and traded him to the Pats. He was one guy with
> HOF talent and we traded him. Fill in all the
> expletives you want on that foible.

He was a restricted free agent. We had no choice in the matter. The Patriots offered him a contract that doubled in salary if he played more than 4 games in one season in the state of Florida. That's called a poison pill. We couldn't match it. The league frowns on poison pills, so the commissioner stepped in and forced the Pats to give us an additional 7th rounder. But, Welker was not traded by choice.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 03, 2011 04:16AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> colonel Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wes Welker is going to set NFL records--we had
> him
> > and traded him to the Pats. He was one guy
> with
> > HOF talent and we traded him. Fill in all the
> > expletives you want on that foible.
>
>
> He was a restricted free agent. We had no choice
> in the matter. The Patriots offered him a contract
> that doubled in salary if he played more than 4
> games in one season in the state of Florida.
> That's called a poison pill. We couldn't match it.
> The league frowns on poison pills, so the
> commissioner stepped in and forced the Pats to
> give us an additional 7th rounder. But, Welker was
> not traded by choice.

That is important to note Mark, because everyone seems to forget those details.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 03, 2011 04:21AM

don't kid yourselves. welker is a 60-70 catch wr in our offense. his absurd numbers are a result of the pats pass happy spread offense.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 03, 2011 04:29AM

jsm08 is exactly right. 100% right.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 03, 2011 04:32AM

and we should be looking to deal marshall before the trade deadline. hopefull some contender's top wr goes down so we can get better compensation.

time to start dumping some of these contracts and start accumulating additional picks for the next regime.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 03, 2011 04:33AM

Again, jsm08 is exactly right. Deal Marshall. 100% right.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 03, 2011 04:54AM

Yes, deal him now and start loading up for next years draft!! I want to see us loaded for this upcoming draft

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 03, 2011 05:03AM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> Yes, deal him now and start loading up for next
> years draft!! I want to see us loaded for this
> upcoming draft

Aha, you want to be LOADED for the draft.

Then surely, if we get the top pick in the draft, you want to trade it for multiple lower picks. After all that's what a "loaded" draft is, by definition right? As many picks as possible, right?

So what made you abandon your suck for luck stance? Was it typing it about 50,000 times in a row, then reading your own words so many times? Is that what made you change your mind?

grinning smiley

Date: October 03, 2011 05:47AM

JC Wrote:
> dolfan1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes, deal him now and start loading up for next
> > years draft!! I want to see us loaded for this
> > upcoming draft
>
> Aha, you want to be LOADED for the draft.
>
> Then surely, if we get the top pick in the draft,
> you want to trade it for multiple lower picks.
> After all that's what a "loaded" draft is, by
> definition right? As many picks as possible,
> right?
>
> So what made you abandon your suck for luck
> stance? Was it typing it about 50,000 times in a
> row, then reading your own words so many times?
> Is that what made you change your mind?
>
> grinning smiley

I think when he said he wanted to be LOADED for the draft, it involved a 12-pack of Budweiser. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 03, 2011 05:59AM

Monte (Victor)

I appreciate your details on the trade and I stand corrected in presenting a false image of what happened concerning the trade.

However, it galls me that the Dolphins were not able to retain Welker.

A lot of receivers don't make headlines because their passing mate is mediocre. When you combine excellence in both positions great things happen (Jerry Rice and Joe Montana). As you know, both are in the HOF.

Davone Bess is pretty darn good--but I don't think he'd be doing as well as Welker and Brady do together. Just my opinion....

As for Marshall--my opinion is that...

he's a liability for the Dolphins because we rely on him to make the play. The team expects him to catch passes that give us points. He's not able to use his height, muscularity and long arms to do that in the end zone. I sense Marshall's problem is between his ears--not his physical attributes or conditioning.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: October 03, 2011 07:41AM

MArshall should be embarresed, but #20 should never put on a football uniform again, as well as #24. They are pretenders, soaking up the pay.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: October 03, 2011 07:51AM

As much as I still feel Marshall has not been used properly in the redzone....he is a solid #2 WR, that's it.

If we plan on signing or drafting a true #1 WR then keep Marshall so he can collect YAC yards, make a few tough catches but can't bitch at the QB to throw him the ball because we will have a better diva doing that.

If they do not plan on drafting/siging an elite guy.?? trade him now. But only if we can get a 2nd rounder or better. I don't want to trade him for a 3rd or 4th and watch him go to the Pats and become the focussed elite guy he isn't under Sparland.

Date: October 03, 2011 08:13AM

ghotirule Wrote:
> Cut him now.

Lets hope his wife is not listening.............eye rolling smiley

Seriously, what good would that do? He gets paid either way. I can understand a tradefor a future draft pick, but Tony is not interested in stacking Draft picks for a future coach at this point.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 03, 2011 08:18AM

could we even get a#2 back for him (like we did with chis chambers)? If so I make the deal, if not I don't

Date: October 03, 2011 08:18AM

realist Wrote:
> As much as I still feel Marshall has not been used
> properly in the redzone....

You mean by throwing him passes that he has in both hands?

Date: October 03, 2011 08:34AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> and we should be looking to deal marshall before
> the trade deadline.

When we traded for and signed Marshall, he had a long history of off field problems. He was one strike away from a year long suspension. He had a major conflict with his head coach, where he was disruptive in practice. And this culminated with his coach thinking Marshall was refusing to play the last game of the season, which was a must win for his team, all over his contract situation. And he was always among the league leaders in dropped passes. And he had a knee surgery and a hip surgery in his history. But, Marshall was known for his big play ability, and there was hope that his wife would take care of the off field issues, and hope that getting away from Josh McDaniels would fix his issues with coaching staffs. And the Fins made a huge roll of the dice in giving up so much for such a troubled player.

Now, roughly a year and a half later, Marshall's off field issues have continued. People say he was a "victim" this time. Well, Marshall admitted he started the whole thing by locking his wife in the closet to keep her from leaving him. And when the police arrived, Marshall's wife had bruises and cuts on her face. He may have been the one in the hospital, but you can be sure he played a huge role in causing the situation. Marshall had confrontations with Dan Henning, David Lee, and Karl Dorrell. Dorrell had such a hard time dealing with him that they made him the QB coach instead of the WR coach. He undermined his QB. He has committed stupid penalties that hurt his team out of purely selfish reasons. And his rate of dropped passes has increased, and they are even more magnified by the fact that he has dropped 3 passes in the endzone, and another that likely would have been a TD. He had an additional hip surgery after we signed him. He has admitted to having BPD, which is a serious mental disorder.

So, he has proven that he will continue to have off field issues. He has proven that he has issues with coaches. He has proven that he will continue to drop passes. And he is still one strike away from a year long suspension. And, he's due $28M over the next 3 years. Whoever trades for Marshall is on the hook for almost $10M next year alone. His guaranteed base salary for 2012 is $6.5M, and he has a $3M roster bonus due in 2012, too. So, what team in their right mind is going to be on the hook for that kind of money for a player with Marshall's issues?

Trading him sounds like a good idea, but we are going to need an extremely desperate team to take him on. Extremely desperate, and with plenty of cap space.

Date: October 03, 2011 08:50AM

where did you hear this mark? I never heard it and it's pretty unbelievable if true

Dorrell had such a hard time dealing with him that they made him the QB coach instead of the WR coach.

Date: October 03, 2011 08:59AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> where did you hear this mark? I never heard it and
> it's pretty unbelievable if true
>
> Dorrell had such a hard time dealing with him
> that they made him the QB coach instead of the WR
> coach.

It was an article at the time of the coaching staff shakeup. I will try to find it.

Date: October 03, 2011 09:06AM

Date: October 03, 2011 09:14AM

wow, that's pathetic. no wonder this team has no discipline and the coaches instill no fear of consequences. in that situtation, you either side with the player or the coach. you don't move the coach to a different position. how undermining

Date: October 03, 2011 09:26AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> wow, that's pathetic. no wonder this team has no
> discipline and the coaches instill no fear of
> consequences. in that situtation, you either side
> with the player or the coach. you don't move the
> coach to a different position. how undermining

You bring up a good point about consequences. I am old enough to have grown up under the Shula era. Shula never had to deal with a salary cap, or with guys making such huge salaries. But, I can't help but think about what Shula would have done with Marshall. First case, last year against Cincy. We are leading. Henne hits Marshall for a good gain into the red zone. Marshall, frustrated that it's his first catch, throws the ball out of bounds, taking a penalty that basically negates the play and pushed us out of the red zone. Case two, against Cleveland last week. Frustrated by being shut down by Joe Haden, Marshall commits a personal foul that takes us from a 26 yard FG attempt to a 41 yard attempt. In either of these cases, Shula would have gone ballistic and buried him on the bench for his actions. Seriously. He never would have tolerated that. If that was Roberto Wallace that had done that, anyone want to take bets on how fast he would be benched? Or cut? But, for Marshall, there are no consequences. He is allowed to make himself bigger than the team. And once that happens, you are in trouble.

Date: October 03, 2011 10:20AM

Saprano is not trading anyone. Thats why Ross needs to dump him now before the trade line ends. He is starting to smell he won't be around much longer and Trades for picks don't help him today.

That said , good points made on Marshall. He may be untradable.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.