HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Watching Pouncey pull from the center position
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Watching Pouncey pull from the center position
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 20, 2011 03:52AM

Is damn impressive. The second play of the game, they had Pouncey and Carey pulling hard to the right, way ahead of Reggie Bush. Pouncey gained twice the ground as the guard and was out ahead. Pouncey missed the block but the fact he got there as a center, was incredible, considering this is the NFL. We have never had a center with feet, speed, strength and size like that... Seriously an impressive sight! IF you got the tape go back and watch it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watching Pouncey pull from the center position
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 20, 2011 04:27AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have never had a center with feet,
> speed, strength and size like that...

How quickly we forget. You DO know we've had 2 HoF centers, right? Pouncey looks good, but he hasn't shown me (yet) that he'll be better than Stephensen...and Langer was no slouch either!

Date: August 20, 2011 05:19AM

WOW, thanks Montequi, i was completely unaware of our 2 HOF centers, lol... Let me ask you a question, since you are so apt to criticize me for seeming to be unaware of our past centers in the HOF.

Langer and Stephenson were about the same size 6"1 to 6"2 250ish

Pouncey is 6"4 to 6"5 295-305 lbs, and has feet like a ballerina to be able to pull like he does at his size..
That is a big difference in size, and he is pulling like neither of these guys ever did in his first games as a pro... COme on now.

So once again, we have never had a center with feet, speed, strength and size. Unless Stephenson and Langer were 6-5 and 300, which I guess Montequi did not realize this from his response...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 05:20AM by Crowder52.

Date: August 20, 2011 07:04AM

Does it really matter? Stephensen handled the Fridge in his hey-day. Why does size really matter?

Date: August 20, 2011 07:21AM

Dude if you just want to be negative, I guess you are just going to be negative. I was impressed with Pouncey, he is extremely large guy for the position, yet he is pulling from the center position after snappin the ball.. That is all. If you want to hate on my comments for whatever reason, you are going to do it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 07:34AM by Crowder52.

Date: August 20, 2011 10:23AM

Hey, I don't really care at this point if he lives up to HOF status. be nice, but I'm just looking for a workhorse at this point , someone the opposite of what we have had in jake groove and the others. Pouncy is looking damn good and a great 1st round pick. And most of this success on the line is coming without Jake Long . Can you imagine the feel once he steps in as well? I'm liking it more and more.

Posted by: Thumper ()
Date: August 20, 2011 10:47AM

It's gonna feel like 800 thread count cotton baby yeah.eye popping smiley

Date: August 20, 2011 12:59PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Dude if you just want to be negative, I guess you
> are just going to be negative. I was impressed
> with Pouncey, he is extremely large guy for the
> position, yet he is pulling from the center
> position after snappin the ball.. That is all. If
> you want to hate on my comments for whatever
> reason, you are going to do it.

Sorry for being negative, but I'm going to have to see more than a couple pre-season games to get really excited about Pouncey. After watching Stephensen for so many years, I have pretty high expectations for someone drafted so high. I'm not ready to dub this guy the next great Miami center just yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 12:59PM by montequi.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: August 20, 2011 01:33PM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 20, 2011 04:08PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> WOW, thanks Montequi, i was completely unaware of
> our 2 HOF centers, lol... Let me ask you a
> question, since you are so apt to criticize me for
> seeming to be unaware of our past centers in the
> HOF.
>
> Langer and Stephenson were about the same size 6"1
> to 6"2 250ish
>
>
> Pouncey is 6"4 to 6"5 295-305 lbs, and has feet
> like a ballerina to be able to pull like he does
> at his size..
> That is a big difference in size, and he is
> pulling like neither of these guys ever did in his
> first games as a pro... COme on now.
>
> So once again, we have never had a center with
> feet, speed, strength and size. Unless Stephenson
> and Langer were 6-5 and 300, which I guess
> Montequi did not realize this from his response...

Of course, Langer was a normal sized center at the time he played, and Stephenson was only undersized by about 10-15 lbs. It's all relative to the era.

Watching Pouncey closely, he got to the second level a number of times. It was an impressive game for him. And we haven't had a center who could get to the second level consistently in quite some time. Stephenson was incredible, though, so Pouncey has a long, long way to go to get there. Stephenson was so good that when we played the Jets, Stephenson would be responsible for blocking Mark Gastineau, who would be coming from the right DE spot. Stephenson would snap the ball and be quick enough that he could get back in position to block one of the elite edge pass rushers of the era. That's just unheard of for a center. Imagine asking Pouncey to snap the ball, and still be responsible for blocking a James Harrison caliber player off the edge.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 21, 2011 04:17AM

And then the dirty jets ended his career on a cheap shot on an int return

Date: August 21, 2011 04:47AM

Seeing a center at 6"4-6"5 300 pounds with a full head of steam heading at a LB or safety, is an impressive site, and something I have not seen to much of. Dwight Stephenson was the man, no knocking him. But he was no where near the size or stature Pouncey looks on the field.. Also Pouncey didnt hit all of the block he whiffed on some as I mentioned, I am not saying he is Stephenson yet. I was just referring to the impressive site of center of his size way out front so quick looking like a tank/mac truck.. If he learns how to connect on those guys he is going to knock somebody out of their shoes...

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: August 21, 2011 02:41PM

He looked good, first round good.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 22, 2011 07:02AM

I’m not worried about Pouncey’s ability to pull – he demonstrated that in college. I’m concerned about his ability to hold-up against the likes of Wilfork.

IMO if Pouncey has half the explosive leverage game Dwight had we’re in good shape.

Posted by: estrella69phinfan ()
Date: August 22, 2011 08:16AM

You get drafted in the first round for a reason. I know some of these players picked really high in the first round do not develop into great players but the odds is that most of them will.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.