HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          vote for the greatest dolphin
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: vote for the greatest dolphin
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 08, 2011 10:58AM

As far as the Dolphins record books go, Mark Clayton wins. The recordbooks also smack us in the face that OJ Mcduffie belongs on the list as well. It is a shame his career was cut short by turf toe.

But Clayton with 1398 yards in one season and 18 TD's. pretty much seals the deal.

Warfield blows them all out of the water in avg yards per catch and a few other deep ball stats.

CLayton had 81 Dolphins TD's and Warfield had 33, Nat Moore was second behind Clayton with 74..

Clayton has to be the winner as the greatest Dolphins WR. He just has that problems as Dan, no ring...

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 08, 2011 11:09AM

Damn you are good Berk, Trace was signed APril 1995 and shula retired in December of that same year. SO he did play one year under Shula....A++++ for recall. I remebered him playing for JJ, and just assumed he was a JJ trade.. Shula was the man, he only had 2 losing season in his history with us.. We have had 2 back to back and 3 of the last 4... SHula never had that many his entire career... Impressive stat..

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: July 08, 2011 11:15AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: July 08, 2011 11:32AM

thanks crowder. my mind is filled with useless fins facts---if only I could put the space in my head taken up by that to better use!

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: July 09, 2011 05:27AM

Date: July 09, 2011 06:24AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> who was the best WR ever for the phins?
>
> warfield
> duper
> clayton
> fryer
> moore

Probably what Phinsfan2 said, I would guess. Warfield was absolutely instrumental in those SB years, and he was probably the most talented receiver the Dolphins have had.

Duper and Clayton were great too obviously, and the numbers, well, Duper pulled a lot of coverage his way back then, cause everyone was freaked out by the long ball Dan had, so, Clayton, who was just stellar in his own right, cleaned up.

The Dolphins have had a lot of great receivers over the years, and Bess is quickly becoming one of them, and hopefully Marshall can be too, and Gates and Hartline too for that matter.

I’m still bummed about Yatil, and still irked about leaving Moss on the board, who was the best WO on the planet while playing at Marshall.

Date: July 09, 2011 08:00AM

SeaDevil- Why was Warfield the most talented reciever the Phins ever had? He was a speed guy like DUper, caught 30 passes a year for us? Marshall will catch 50 more balls in just 2 seasons then Warfield caught his entire Dolphins career. I am pretty sure Warfield never had one thousand yard season with the team? He caught the longball. He avg over 25 yards a catch. We were a run first offense with Czonka, Morris, and Kick. Warfield just kept the defense honest with his speed, and when they didnt he was a burner.

Best Receiver to ever wear a Dolphins uniform hands down is Irving Fryar, the Dolphin WR to achieve the most personaly while wearing a dolphins uniform is Mark Clayton. The reciever who won the most rings is Paul Warfield, that is why he is even in the conversation IMO. Warfields dominance came as a Brown. iMO he should be in the Browns ring of honor as much as ours...

Date: July 09, 2011 08:49AM

Date: July 09, 2011 10:56AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 09, 2011 12:39PM

Date: July 09, 2011 01:04PM

Date: July 09, 2011 01:33PM

Date: July 09, 2011 01:44PM

Date: July 09, 2011 01:51PM

I agree Sea Devil, the game has changed there were a couple more games an in CLaytons day then Warfield. I guess the bottom line is, if Warfield played the majority of his career in Miami, and had the stats he had elsewhere here, then he would be the greatest DOlphin but he doesnt. He Broke 1000 yards in Cleveland but never did it in Miami. So how can the greatest dolphin reciever only have 33 TD's and never break 1000 yards while on the team. Fryar and Warfield were probably the 2 best WR to ever put on the uniform. but neither were the best Dolphin. There is a difference I am not sure you guys are acknowledging the difference in achievements.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: July 09, 2011 07:24PM

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: July 09, 2011 07:27PM

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: July 10, 2011 05:12AM

Date: July 10, 2011 08:01AM

Date: July 10, 2011 10:05AM

Bob T-
It is hard to make any argument against Shula. The one common factor of the majority of Miami Dolphins Franchises successes, would be Don SHula. THe only coach of a perfect season, the winningest coach in the history of the game, and only 2 losing season his entire Dolphins tenure....

I think you are probably right, it would be damn hard to vote against Shula.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: July 10, 2011 01:03PM

This vote goes Dan Marino......

and all others.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: July 10, 2011 02:28PM

Date: July 10, 2011 03:18PM

Date: July 10, 2011 03:48PM

I recall it like that. I recall it that Clayton got all the catches because Duper was heavily covered.

You are right that Duper was the blazer and deep threat.

However, to think that Clayton, rather than Duper, was the royalty is wrong.

Duper was drafted in the 2nd round in 1982. Clayton was drafted in the 7th round in 1983.

I was there youngster, Duper was always the blue-blood.

Date: July 10, 2011 03:49PM

I was there too (just barely but I did see and obsess over every game from 1985 on). Duper and Clayton were considered comparable to one another, as I recall (different styles but equally good).

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 10, 2011 04:09PM

Larry Little pass blocked, dominated his man one on one and one of the most feared pulling guards ever. Griese, Morral and Marino passed behind him zonk and others ran behind him. Off the cuff I would put zonk at the top but putting some thought behind it Larry Little gets my vote. Traveled all parts of the country in my life but the phins who are most respected I find are Zonk and Little. I never get an argument w/ those 2 names (Warfield to). Little gets the edge because he stuck w/ the team his entire career.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 10, 2011 09:04PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I recall it like that. I recall it that Clayton
> got all the catches because Duper was heavily
> covered.
>
> You are right that Duper was the blazer and deep
> threat.
>
> However, to think that Clayton, rather than Duper,
> was the royalty is wrong.
>
> Duper was drafted in the 2nd round in 1982.
> Clayton was drafted in the 7th round in 1983.
>
> I was there youngster, Duper was always the
> blue-blood.

I recall it like that, to a degree. Of the Marks Brothers, "Super Duper" was mentioned much more than Clayton. In fact, I was almost shocked to learn at the end of their careers that Clayton had better stats. Because "Super Duper" got more attention.

ON a side note, speaking of benefitting from others getting attention, Nat Moore had some productive years toward the end of his career, adding years to his longevity as a Phin, by the Marks Bros BOTH getting much more attention from defenses, leaving him open.

Date: July 10, 2011 09:08PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Little gets the edge because he stuck w/ the
> team his entire career.

Far be it from me to discredit one iota of a post about one of my favorite players, #66. But he did spend his first two years with the Chargers.

But everything else you said was right on. He could run block down field, pull and trap, pass block. He was very reliable and effective. To watch him clear a path for Csonka et al was one of my favorite childhood memories.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 11, 2011 04:05AM

I know he played w/ the Chargers but he was traded and when he came to MIA he stuck w/ them.

Date: July 11, 2011 05:56AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> I know he played w/ the Chargers but he was traded
> and when he came to MIA he stuck w/ them.

I see what you mean. I was thrown off by "entire career"

Yeah he didn't skip out to the WFL or another team for more money.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.