HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Henne has got to play better.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Henne has got to play better.
Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: September 22, 2010 10:22AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 22, 2010 12:04PM

> Quote:
HAMBONIC

> Nice.

Agreed ... perhaps Madden could incorporate it into the media coverage or voiceover for REX following questionable coaching calls or post game interview.

Great descriptor of future REX discussions perhaps even better than Hambone ...

Interviewer: "Gee rex your decsion to go for it on 4th and one and not making it did appear a biit hambonic ... not to mention your 1 finger salute last year any comment? "

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 22, 2010 12:15PM

bradinthecreek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Henne had one great game last year. The first game
> against the jets. He also had a couple of good
> games. All in all, I was encouraged by Henne's
> promise coming into this year. But I am with
> Parcells, he's not developing.
>
> Some on here say, "It's the conservative
> playcalling." Conservative playcalling didn't seem
> to be a problem for Dixon (Steelers QB with 1
> start coming into this season). So why are you
> making excuses for Henne? Conservative playcalling
> didn't make Henne miss Marshall when he was WIDE
> OPEN against the Bills the first week. That wasn't
> a conservative playcall. Conservative playcalling
> didn't make Henne miss Marshall for a TD against
> the Vikes. A throw a pee wee QB would make 9 times
> out of 10.

Henne didn't miss Marshall against the Bills. He hit him for a 45 yard gain, but Marshall dropped the ball. It is WAY better to underthrow that pattern than to overthrow it. It's unfortunate that it wasn't perfect, but it was a play that receiver making over $40M needs to make. Marshall also let a sideline pass go right through his hands. And Hartline dropped 3 passes. What do his stats look like is two or 3 of those 5 catches are made? And on the play against Minnesota, that's not a physical miss, it's a communication breakdown or a lack of familiarity with each other. You could see that as Marshall went in motion, he was going to be open quickly. Henne threw it quicker than Marshall thought he would. It's not alarming in any way. Henne has a QB rating of 85.1 through 2 games. He's completed 61% of his passes. Both of those numbers are improvements over last season. Dan Marino's career rating was 86.4, so 85.1 is not bad at all. And Henne has no turnovers in two games. And he's dealing with two new starting WR. And the running game has been lousy. Take away Ronnie's 51 yard run, and the Fins have averaged a pathetic 3.1 yards per carry over the first two games.

Date: September 22, 2010 12:25PM

Date: September 22, 2010 12:27PM

Not sure I agree with it beingt way better to underthrow than over throw

- Yes you have a chance for your guy to get it, or a flag, but also a chance for an INT

Henne is good enough andstrong enough to get it there.

Its all about the line getting him enough time to be confident ... they are getting better each week.

I think Henne will be better than okay and soon

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 22, 2010 12:43PM

Are we really gonna over analyze every single incomplete pass he throws? Every QB misses a pass or 2 every game, lets give this guy some room to grow please.

Date: September 22, 2010 12:46PM

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: September 22, 2010 01:18PM

Date: September 22, 2010 01:24PM

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 22, 2010 01:41PM

Like I said the only thing I really question is his pocket awareness, which results to some bad decisions sometimes, which can be resolved with experiance so ?

Posted by: bradinthecreek ()
Date: September 22, 2010 11:29PM

When I look a QB's, I look at two things. Stats and just the eye test. Henne's stats scream below average QB. Both career stats and this year's stats. You don't get to go, "Well if the receiver hadn't dropped that ball he would have had a good game." Every QB has dropped balls, so all stats for all QB's are affected by drops more or less equally.

2010 Miami 2 85.1 30 49 61.2 296 148.0 6.0 1 0
Career 19 76.1 311 512 60.7 3241 170.6 6.3 13 14

He has played 19 games and thats what you have. Numbers don't lie. Below Average.

If you don't like stats, then you use the eye test. Is anyone seriously going to say that Henne looks significantly better or has progessed in any real way since the last time he played the jets in Miami?

For the record, when I say he missed a wide open Marshall in Buffalo, I'm not refering to the drop. Marshall should have caught that ball. I'm talking about the pass in which Marshall was WIDE OPEN angling toward the sideline. WIDE OPEN! Henne throws it out of bounds 10 feet over his head.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 23, 2010 02:44AM

Last year was, basically, Henne's first (since he sat his first season). I challenge you to compare that to Peyton Manning's or Troy Aikman's first years. Those 2 guys are in the HoF. I think you'll be surprised. I'm not saying Henne is going to make the HoF, but saying he's below average after one year where he won a number of games for us is ludicrous.

Also, faulting him for one throw that he redeemed on his next play (I'm not counting the wildcat in-between, because Henne was on the sidelines for that) is ridiculous as well. You think Marino never missed throws?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 05:51AM by montequi.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 23, 2010 05:35AM

Date: September 23, 2010 06:11AM

Mannings first year sucked.

Henne's first game with the jets was nothing short of impressive.

Give the guy some time ... he is head and shoulders above what we saw in other rookie QBs for Miami, and has the raw skills that pass the eye test.

His pocket presence will come, and if the OL will give him some time, he'll learn to trust and side step the way the best do.

Have to agree with Phinphan2 that the talent around him (wrs) in year one was nothing to behold ... add to that the end of the year OL was decimated as were we without Ronnie, and then ricky.

Apples to Potatoes does not make the comparison ... call it what you want but stop the fear and recognize that we are (lickily or not) 2-0.

Time for a break out offensive game - Yes ... but whatever stats happen ... a W wil do it for me!

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: September 23, 2010 06:22AM

Stats first eyes second? No way. A good QB on a bad team will not have the stats of average QB on a good team. So stats are a measurement but not to that extent.
There is a lot more to look at such as, decision making, feet, ball handling, arm strength, accuracy. Trying to compare QB simply by looking at stats without taking into consideration the kind of team he is playing on won't cut it.

I have no problem with anything Henne is doing except he seems to have slow feet. His pocket presence should improve with experience and hopefully his feet will get quicker with confidence.

Date: September 23, 2010 08:12AM

Posted by: bradinthecreek ()
Date: September 23, 2010 10:29AM

I didn't say I did one before the other. The question stands. How has Henne demonstrated progress over the past year?

Date: September 23, 2010 10:41AM

> The question stands. How has Henne demonstrated progress over the past year?

2-0

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 23, 2010 10:57AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 23, 2010 11:01AM

QUOTE:His completion % is marginally better: 61.2% vs 60.8%. Considering the fact that the Dolphins starting wr's each are among the league leaders in dropped passes (3 a piece for Hartline & Marshall in just 2 games), that isn't insignificant.

Just get the guy some more weapons and he will be just fine. there have been a few dropped passes in both games already.

Henne is doing ok.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 23, 2010 06:14PM

I was wondering about Henne's work ethic/preparation but he got a ringing endorsement from Henning. I always said the only way he will succeed is to prepare like Marino.

"I don't know how far Chad is going to go in this game as a quarterback," Henning said. "Now, he has all the tools. He has a tremendous desire to be the best. He is willing to take the pain of discipline rather than accept the pain of regret later. He's willing to do that. He's in this building every night. He looks at every piece of film. He studies. There's nothing frivolous about Chad Henne when it comes to football. I would think it would be tough to get in that guy's head."

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.