HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Matt Ryan
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Matt Ryan
Posted by: trafield ()
Date: September 20, 2009 12:05PM

For you football "geniuses" who shouted me down about thinking it idiotic not to use the first draft pick a couple of years ago on Matt Ryan and who said Ryan was overrated:

Told you...and tried to tell you, I am right the vast majority of the time, as I was concerning Ryan. Just thought I would come back once again to remind you as you asked me to back then. tongue sticking out smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matt Ryan
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 20, 2009 01:01PM

Hey trafield welcome back buddy.

Didn't you also tell us how good cleo lemon was??????

LMAO.

He is warming the bench somewhere.

Date: September 20, 2009 01:02PM

Was that you or somebody else????

Date: September 20, 2009 01:47PM

I still think Cleo was a good quarterback. And I felt the best of the bunch of the QBs we had at the time. However, obviously I was not suggesting we stay with Cleo since I was so vocal about us drafting Ryan with our first overall pick.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 20, 2009 02:16PM

you have no credibility if you think cleo lemon is a good QB

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: September 20, 2009 03:36PM

Way to pat yourself on the back for getting 1 pick right! I'd call Sparano right now if I were you!

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: September 20, 2009 03:49PM

I liked Cleo, but he was too small.

If you pushed for Ryan, then you were right, but you weren't alone. I remember half of people on the net wanted Ryan and the other half spintered with top defensive players.

Our plan, in theory, was ok. It was to build a great O line. Another concern was, who was worth first pick money? That drove the vote toward Jake Long too, since he was a left tackle.

But you know, it shouldn't have been about the money, it should have just been about who would be a great pick. As far as QB's go, I don't understand how we missed the scouting on both Ryan and Flacco. Flacco would have probably been even a better fit for us.

So, we were not looking for a QB, period. Otherwise one of them would be on the team.

Date: September 20, 2009 04:06PM

Half pushing for Ryan? Not when I was posting!
Berkeley, you are just still sore that I was right about Ryan, as I was about my early calls to fire your man Nick Sabin. Nice to see the "geniuses" are at least stepping forward even if they are still in denial about me being right the vast majority of the time. grinning smiley

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 20, 2009 05:21PM

It seems like since Big Ben was drafted that college QBs are significantly more ready for the NFL now than 10 years ago. Last year you had Ryan and Flacco, and Sanchez seems to be playing well this year. 10 years ago it was extremely rare that a starting rookie QB would be successful. Even Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning had growing pains. Consider that one is in the HoF and the other will be eventually.

Teams are starting to take notice, but we seem to be behind in that regard.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 20, 2009 05:31PM

I was definitely wrong about ryan. he threw a lot of INTs in college and I didn't see anything that indicated he was a sure thing. He probably would have been the 4th QB taken the cutler/young/leinert draft and the 4th the manning/rivers/roethelberger draft. I don't think that is even debatable.

given that we had no OL, I didn't think it made sense to draft a QB that high only to have him get killed and flop, as have many #1 overall QBs who go to bad teams. So I was OK with the Jake Long pick. In hindsight obviously, I'd rather have ryan now.
Also, I have no idea how you decided saban was "my man." I can't stand the guy.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: September 21, 2009 01:32AM

Ryan, Flacco and now Sanchez. We seemed to have missed the boat. Meanwhile Henne can't get on the field.

Our team is no-name. Our strategy has been to turn over the bottom of the roster each year, improving the depth of the team. We're quiet in free agency.

But when will it cost us? This year, maybe?

In theory, the focus on the O line should have worked. If we had one of the best running games in the league, a lot of that other stuff wouldn't matter. I wouldn't matter that we have no star QB or WR, or that our TE's are average. You give it to Ronnie and Ricky and play smashmouth. But that hasn't happened, and it's obvious now that it won't happen. That puts the pressure back on Pennington. Which,....brings us full circle back to our original problem - QB.

Date: September 21, 2009 04:36AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ryan, Flacco and now Sanchez. We seemed to have
> missed the boat. Meanwhile Henne can't get on the
> field.

All three of them have good Olines..We are a work in progress. Also
none of them have chad pennington on their team.

Henne will get on the team in due time. Hopefully the OLine is playing better by then.

Ps. Yesterday sanchez looked like crap in the beginning of the game mid way though because he was getting a lot of pressure. Then in the second half he started playing better when the OL played well.

It doesnt matter who we put out there henne or pennington. If the OL doesn't play well they are toast.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 21, 2009 04:45AM

let's not break the arm patting one's self on the back without think thru the abosolutely idiotic comparison you are trying to dump here:

1. Falcons, Jets, and Baltimore new QBs have something the FINS have not had for at least 3 coaching changes

- Simple think like an offensive line, and a defense.

2. The FINS have blown thru several dumbass attempts at trying to do it without (OL or defense (one year an ok defense)), nad have failed MISERABLY!

- Wasted picks galore

3. As you strive so vainly to self elevate retroactive wisdom. Please include in the picture you paint to include the reality that Matt Ryan, Sanchez and or Flacco would have FAILED MISERABLY in MIAMI, with the cast each would have had around him.

thumbs down

Sorry, not buying it.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 21, 2009 04:55AM

BTW as long as we're discussing spending the wad on rookie QBs.

Jamarcus Russel, Vince Young and Matt leinert - Can you say break the bank and minimal return?

Nuff said. See the doc on that pat on the back - strained arm

Date: September 21, 2009 02:06PM

PhinJim, thanks for stepping forward. smoking smiley
Sorry, I'm not buying Ryan would have failed miserbly with us. We will never no for sure (thanks to geniuses like you)...but very doubtful having Ryan with our running backs would have failed. But this we do know (or at least us wise ones do)...he would have been the best pick for us, especially with who we had and even still have at quartberback. That is not retrotative, but the wisdom I was trying to share with you back then. You still are not getting it, I see....

Can you say break the bank and miniamal return? Absolutely...the Dolphins have been doing it for the last 20+ years and continue to do so, especially with it's long list of has-been quarterbacks it has miserably relied on. With the right franchise QB, a team is usually set at that position for over a decade. Can that be said of linemen? Nuff said.

Regardless, I give berkeley props for his admission about Ryan. thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.