HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Zach Thomas Cut!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Zach Thomas Cut!
Posted by: miamid45 ()
Date: September 05, 2009 05:11PM

Any gas left in the tank?

Would love to bring out my #54 jersey one more time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zach Thomas Cut!
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 05, 2009 05:58PM

Considering how thin we are at ILB, I'd be ecstatic if we brought him back! If he passes the physical, I'd sign him in a heartbeat. I wonder if JT will petition for that.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 05, 2009 06:18PM

I think Zach would be better off as a 4-3 MLB. More big men to keep lineman off him and let him run around and make plays.

The two best MLB's of the past decade, Lewis and Thomas are the only ones left from that draft.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: September 06, 2009 06:53AM

I would love to have zach but it does not make sense that we would bring him back when this staff was the one that cut him in the first place...

Dont worry zach next stop the HALL OF FAME!!! congradulations...

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 06, 2009 07:26AM

He was washed up 3 years ago. I can't see any team signing him. Or at least any decent team.

He needs to retire, he's done

Date: September 06, 2009 07:53AM

Zach Thomas was not washed up three years ago. He was averaging 10 tackles a game in 07 before he got hurt.

He had 94 tackles on a new defense last year and he was taken out on passing downs as Ayodele was for us last year.

He is clearly at the end of his career and won't be signed by Miami unless it is for one day so he can retire but he could still be an above average to very good MLB in a 4-3 if he can go to a team that has two stout DT's.

He will probably sit for a while until some team loses a MLB to injury. If it doesn't happen he will retire....as a Dolphin!

.....................................................................................

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: September 06, 2009 07:54AM

I'm just going to hold my OP on this one, too tuff to call.confused smiley

Date: September 06, 2009 08:04AM

avg 10 tackles a game in 07'. Were they tackles for a loss?? Or were the tackles 6 and 7 yards down field. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! You can compile stats and fool the fans.........coaches can't be fooled. The video tape doesn't lie.

Zach's career is over. Has been over for years

Sign Zach Thomas so he can retire a Dolphin!
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 06, 2009 08:22AM

I don't really see a 13 year injured vet who was always undersized as a viable option for this team, or any other, as a player, but Dave Hyde is right..we should re-sign him for a day and have him retire as a Dolphin. He gave his all for this franchise, and though he doesn't mean much to the current regime, he means a lot to us fans. We owe him that much.

Rick

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 06, 2009 09:00AM

I have to agree with Hyde's column - we need to get him back for a day, have a retirement ceremony, and let Zach move on. He can stand on the sidelines in a suit and BS with his brother in law. We can put his name in the ring of honor and have all the greats talk about him being the best MLB we've ever had - that would piss of Bonnicotti, LOL!

BUT as a player, he's done. Until he comes to terms with that, we can't really touch him.

As for Crowder not filling Zach's shoes - who could? Name one MLB besides Ray Lewis that is even close? Impossible to name one.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 06, 2009 09:52AM

We cannot sign Zach (as a player) now for the same reason we let him go. He is possibly one hit away from a serious, debilitating injury.

I don't know much about his mentoring skills, but I'd be in favor of signing him as a linebackers' coach or any other staff position.

Date: September 06, 2009 10:49AM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> avg 10 tackles a game in 07'. Were they tackles
> for a loss?? Or were the tackles 6 and 7 yards
> down field. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! You can compile
> stats and fool the fans.........coaches can't be
> fooled. The video tape doesn't lie.
>
> Zach's career is over. Has been over for years

Spoken like a true Dolphin basher. Tackles for loss are about as rare as sacks. They NEVER make up the majority of the numbers. Zach was making plays just as he has always done but he was also injured. Not washed up three years ago.

"Coaches can't be fooled"??? I guess you are right. That's why there were several teams including your beloved Patriots that were trying to sign him last year while he was washed up.

You just seem to relish in the fact a bit too much but then again all you do is bash Miami and former Miami players and sing the praises of Tom Brady, Wes Welker and the Patriots.

You are a typing contradiction. You lobby to bring in Brandon Marshall after berating another poster for trying to bring in Matt Jones.

You brag that you would rather have Marshawn Lynch than Ronnie Brown and fill the board with your negativity and ridiculous predictions.

Jason Taylor is not a starter.
Matt Roth is moving to DE.
Our WR's suck.
Jason Taylor will be our long snapper.
Sean Smith is going to the practice squad or just play Special teams and Davis is a lock to start.
Eric Green is a lock. He will be starting all season long.
We will start the season 0-3.
We have to cut Starks if the reports are true....

Get real.

Date: September 06, 2009 11:57AM

Yep Mike0 you had this commin. Zach was the man, to bad he got old on us. I would say if he was willing to take vet min, sign him to a year, and let him start a game or two, and if he doesnt perform, then bench him rest of year as back up or cut him, but retire him first.

Date: September 06, 2009 12:06PM

you want to start a washed up vet over younger players who were on a team that won 11 games, won the AFC East, and made the playoffs last year.

Great football logic there! Your insane!!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 06, 2009 12:11PM

MiamiThunder Wrote:
> Yep Mike0 you had this commin. Zach was the man,
> to bad he got old on us. I would say if he was
> willing to take vet min, sign him to a year, and
> let him start a game or two, and if he doesnt
> perform, then bench him rest of year as back up or
> cut him, but retire him first.

We seem to be in the minority about signing Zach. One thing I'd do different, I wouldn't start him. I'd keep him on for depth only and to help coach some of the younger players. I'm really worried what will happen if Crowder goes down with an injury again. Torbor is terrible!

Date: September 06, 2009 12:13PM

Mike what the heck does this refere to, and mean? Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 06, 2009 04:06PM

you want to start a washed up vet over younger players who were on a team that won 11 games, won the AFC East, and made the playoffs last year.

Great football logic there! Your insane!!

Date: September 06, 2009 12:16PM

your post above about wanting to sign then start Zach for a game or two

Date: September 06, 2009 12:20PM

I just want to see if he has anything left in the tank? Wouldnt realy hurt us to take a stab at him.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: September 06, 2009 12:28PM

MikeO Wrote:
> avg 10 tackles a game in 07'. Were they tackles
> for a loss?? Or were the tackles 6 and 7 yards
> down field. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! You can compile
> stats and fool the fans.........coaches can't be
> fooled. The video tape doesn't lie.
>
> Zach's career is over. Has been over for years

I hate to break the news to you mikeO but zach thomas is a middle line backer and their job is to find the runner and close on him as he breaks through the line. Furthermore middle line backer do not blitz as frequently as outside backers so he should not have many tackles for losses.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 06, 2009 07:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.