HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The real reason Saban sucked.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The real reason Saban sucked.
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: September 05, 2009 06:28AM

Today's dispatching of Wright means the Dolphins now have one player on the roster from the 2006 draft, which can now be described as a huge waste of time. Jason Allen, primarily a special teams player after being selected in the first round of 2006, is the only player from that draft remaining on the team.

Gone from that draft are Derek Hagan, Joe Toledo, Fred Evans, Wright and Devin Aromashodu. Cleo Lemon, who came to the Dolphins in exchange for a A.J. Feeley and a 2006 sixth-round pick is also gone. And Manny Wright, who was selected in the 2006 supplemental draft, is also long ago gone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The real reason Saban sucked.
Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: September 05, 2009 06:43AM

Did Saban have decision making ability in the draft?

I hate Saban as much as anyone, the way he just left, but I didn't think he was such a bad rookie coach. JT had no problem playing for him, and Saban got us the practice bubble, and tried to make this team successful.

The real loser imo was Cam. He was a disaster as a head coach, wasn't respected by any of the players, let them do whatever they wanted, put couches and shit in the locker room, didn't push them in practices, didn't lead at all, and let the team fall apart. Plus he was 100 percent behind the Ted Ginn and his family pick, and cinderella John Beck. It was ridiculous.

I think Cam learned a lot from his disaster here. It's funny that the QB he fought for this time around is the anti-Beck...a tall, big-armed italian with a big upside. Glad he was able to shit all over our team and use Miami as if we were the minor leagues in preparation for better decisions and team-building for another city.

Ugh.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 05, 2009 07:00AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 05, 2009 07:20AM

Well, Rod Wright was a 7th-round pick. He dropped from a projected 2nd-rounder because of a torn rotator cuff that was discovered after his senior season. He was a gamble, but it's tough to call him a bust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 07:21AM by montequi.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 05, 2009 07:32AM

and to be fair...

Devin Aromashodu (7th round pick) is playing in Chicago right now and doing well. Cutler has good things to say about him and he is good on ST's.

Fred Evans (7th rounder) is a backup behind two of the NFL's best DT's in Minnesota.

Wright still has a shot. He just got caught up in a numbers game in Miami. I would not be surprised to see him do well as a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT somewhere else.

The rest I can't say much for.

Hindsight is 20/20 and this regime has done a great job with the draft thus far but....

Jake Long and Chad Henne are struggling right now and Matt Ryan is looking excellent. More time needed but we'll see.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: September 05, 2009 07:47AM

And we still have that sorry-ass wannabe JJ-drafted DE that's too thin to play ;-) Guess who...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 05, 2009 08:22AM

Glad to see more folks are coming around to the fact that Saban couldn't draft either. I've been saying that for years an it usually raised some hackles. The only player Saban picked that was worth a damn was Ronnie Brown, but he did have the 1st overall pick and 4 months to think about that one....

He couldn't draft, he couldn't coach the pros, he couldn't handle pro sports media, and he alienated everyone in the organization. The guy is pond scum.

The only think I can say is Nick Saban is a good college coach. Not a great one, but a good one. What makes him so good? He know how to lie, which gives him a recruiting advantage. That is all.

I'm glad he's in Alabama, because it gives me another reason to hate a team I already hated.

Date: September 05, 2009 08:27AM

2nd overall pick actually so he was saved from making a huge mistake and drafting Alex Smith.

Look at the disappointments that followed Brown.

3 Braylon Edwards Browns WR Michigan
4 Cedric Benson Bears RB Texas
5 Cadillac Williams Buccaneers RBAuburn
6 Pacman Jones Titans DB West Virginia
7 Troy Williamson Vikings WR South Carolina
8 Antrel Rolle Cardinals DB Miami (FL)
9 Carlos Rogers Redskins DB Auburn
10 Mike Williams Lions WR USC

Ouch!

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: September 05, 2009 08:32AM

Quote:

"The only player Saban picked that was worth a damn was Ronnie Brown, but he did have the 1st overall pick and 4 months to think about that one...."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Not to bust your chops, because you are basically right in a sense because Alex Smith is horrendous, but Ronnie was the #2 pick behind the forementioned.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: September 05, 2009 08:35AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 05, 2009 08:49AM

no, SF did not announce their intention to draft smith well in advance. in fact, it was one of the few #1 overall decisions to go down to the wire. people thought rogers could go #1 that day and it was shocking he slipped all the way into the 20s.
that was probably the worst 1st round of all time. Ronnie Brown didn't even start on his own team and he went #2. in most other years he probably would have been picked towards the middle to end of the 1st round.

1. San Francisco 49ers - Alex Smith*, QB Utah

2. Miami Dolphins - Ronnie Brown, RB Auburn

3. Cleveland Browns - Braylon Edwards, WR Michigan

4. Chicago Bears - Cedric Benson, RB Texas

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Carnell Williams, RB Auburn

6. Tennessee Titans - Adam Jones*, CB West Virginia

7. Minnesota Vikings (from Oakland) - Troy Williamson*, WR South Carolina

8. Arizona Cardinals - Antrel Rolle, CB Miami (Fla)

9. Washington Redskins - Carlos Rogers, CB Auburn

10. Detroit Lions - Mike Williams*, WR USC

11. Dallas Cowboys - Demarcus Ware*, DE/OLB Troy State

12. San Diego Chargers (from NY Giants) - Shawne Merriman*, DE/OLB Maryland

13. New Orleans Saints (from Houston)- Jamaal Brown, OT Oklahoma

14. Carolina Panthers - Thomas Davis*, S/OLB Georgia

15. Kansas City Chiefs - Derrick Johnson, LB Texas

16. Houston Texans (from New Orleans) - Travis Johnson, DT Florida State

17. Cincinnati Bengals - David Pollack, DE Georgia

18. Minnesota - Erasmus James, DE Wisconsin

19. St. Louis Rams - Alex Barron, OT Florida State

20. Dallas Cowboys (from Buffalo) - Marcus Spears, DE LSU

21. Jacksonville Jaguars - Matt Jones, QB Arkansas

22. Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton, WR Oklahoma

23. Oakland Raiders (from Seattle) - Fabian Washington*, CB Nebraska

24. Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rogers, QB California

25. Washington Redskins (from Denver) - Jason Campbell, QB Auburn

26. Seattle Seahawks (from Oakland through NY Jets) - Chris Spencer, C Ole Miss

27. Atlanta Falcons - Roddy White, WR UAB

28. San Diego Chargers - Luis Castillo, DT Northwestern

29. Indianapolis Colts - Marlin Jackson, CB Michigan

30. Pittsburgh Steelers - Heath Miller*, TE Virginia

31. Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Patterson, DT USC

32. New England Patriots - Logan Mankins, OG Fresno State

Date: September 05, 2009 08:58AM

If Saban had the first pick, he would have picked Smith.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, and Cadillac were the three top RBs, and there was no consensus on ordering. Cadillac had the most production, but he was thought too small, and that has panned out to be true. Ronnie Brown was clearly the best all around back, and for the RBs he turned out to be the best selection. Personally, I'd have been happier if we took Mike Williams or Jamaal Brown - both of which I was lobbing for on this board. I think this team would have been better today with either of those picks.

With that said, Saban still couldn't draft.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 05, 2009 09:04AM

how can you say we'd be better today if we took mike williams? he's been out of the league for awhile!

Date: September 05, 2009 09:48AM

Date: September 05, 2009 06:04PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2nd overall pick actually so he was saved from
> making a huge mistake and drafting Alex Smith.
>
> Look at the disappointments that followed Brown.
>
>
> 3 Braylon Edwards Browns WR Michigan
> 4 Cedric Benson Bears RB Texas
> 5 Cadillac Williams Buccaneers RBAuburn
> 6 Pacman Jones Titans DB West Virginia
> 7 Troy Williamson Vikings WR South Carolina
> 8 Antrel Rolle Cardinals DB Miami (FL)
> 9 Carlos Rogers Redskins DB Auburn
> 10 Mike Williams Lions WR USC
>
> Ouch!

Yeah, that draft pretty much stunk. It was the worst that I can ever remember. We got lucky with Ronnie, but, honestly, he'd probably fall out of the top-10 in most drafts.

Date: September 05, 2009 06:14PM

He will make up for it this year as he leads the league in yfs.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 06, 2009 05:44AM

and to be fair...

Devin Aromashodu (7th round pick) is playing in Chicago right now and doing well. Cutler has good things to say about him and he is good on ST's.

Fred Evans (7th rounder) is a backup behind two of the NFL's best DT's in Minnesota.

Wright still has a shot. He just got caught up in a numbers game in Miami. I would not be surprised to see him do well as a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT somewhere else.

*********** Saban did suck !!!

None of this suggests otherwise ... Saban belongs in college where he can get 15 number ones and not have to compete in a draft.

As to the question did he have control over draft? WTF he was and is the ultimate control freak!

- Sparano is so refreshing after Saban's self centered lack of respect for his entire team and coaching staff

- We are my friends in Draft pick heaven compared to both Saban and Cam.

To better times and a bright futuresmileys with beer

Date: September 06, 2009 09:14AM

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: September 06, 2009 10:14AM

I am particularly grateful of one decision Saban made during his tenure with the Dolphins and that was selecting Ronnie Brown with the 2nd overall pick of that draft. Here's why;

We needed a running back badly. Ricky was gone and we were in dire need of a real play-maker to run the ball. Drafting a running back with that pick was almost a foregone conclusion. What was important, however, was the choice of which RB we should take out of the 3 top choices available.

Cedric Benson, Carnell Williams, and Ronnie Brown were the choices for that pick. Benson reminded a lot of people of Ricky Williams: a real power runner with dreadlocks who also came out of Texas. There might have been some off-the-filed concerns with Benson if I remember correctly, but he was regarded at the time of being a real nasty runner with a lot of power, niftiness, and vision.

Cadicllac and Ronnie split carries at Auburn and Cadillac was a bit more of an electrifying, showy, play-maker. A little more Razzle Dazzle, his incredible elusiveness was at times more of a crowd pleaser. His runs were real impressive when he would put the moves on people and elude the defense. Could he be a durable, every-down, bell cow running back was the question. That and his blocking.

Ronnie... well you know what he's all about. Bigger and more of a power runner than Cadillac was, and a better blocker, he was seen as more well rounded. He could do everything. Run right through a defense, run over people, run through the tackles, stiff arms, elusiveness, cutbacks, catch the ball in the backfield, pick up blocking assignments, etc. He wasn't quite as flashy as Cadillac, who was tempting to some at no. 2

Anyway, a long story short, Cedric Benson (with the exception oddly of a bit of success last season in a new city) has just flat out sucked in the NFL. Cadillac lived up to his name as a flashy, exciting play-maker, but his NFL career has thus far been horribly marred by injury. He hasn't been healthy for more than 6 games since he came into the league. A big disappointment. Ronnie Brown turned out to be the most talented and durable running back of the group. That was ONE wise choice by Nick Saban. Had he screwed that up and pick Benson, where would we be these days?

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: September 06, 2009 12:00PM

We would be with Adrian Peterson! lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.