Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Marino ranked as 8th greatest QB of all time.....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Marino ranked as 8th greatest QB of all time.....
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: September 02, 2009 12:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marino ranked as 8th greatest QB of all time.....
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 02, 2009 12:19PM

Manning is ahead of Marino. He will break all of Dan's records and he won a ring. So I have no bones about Manning ahead of Dan

Brady......ehh. That's closer. Brady has won a lot of big games. Has 3 rings, done it with no big-name running back and no big-name WR's. Brady is close. 3 rings, that is tough. I could make a case either way. So I won't rip them for it.

Date: September 02, 2009 12:22PM

problems with the list.......

Otto Grahm can't be on the list. IT WAS A DIFFERENT GAME when he played. QB's only threw the ball when needed. The game wasn't the same football that is played now. Otto was great, but you can't compare him to the Montana, Elway, Marino...etc.

Farve is listed too high. He isn't Top 10.

Bob Griese.....love him....he shouldn't be in the Top 30 of all time great NFL quarterbacks. The man won games throwing only 6 or 7 passes a game. I mean, come on!!

Joe Namath is great, but too high. After the Colts Super Bowl victory...I think the rest of his career he only won 3 or 4 games vs teams over .500. To say he "peaked" at that moment would be an understatment

Fran Tarkenton is way too low. He is Top 10. That man was a one man show most of his career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 12:24PM by MikeO.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 02, 2009 01:52PM

i guess you gotta win a superbowl to get some respect around here. Thats crap.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 02, 2009 07:36PM

Date: September 02, 2009 07:37PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 02, 2009 08:41PM

The whole comparison and ranking thing is ridiculous anyway. It is subject to way too many variables and the stupid list is one only man's opinion. That's it.

Marino changed the way the game was played and the way everyone viewed quarterbacks.

I don't recall Manning, Elway, Montana, Favre or any other QB on that list throwing for anywhere near 5,084 yards and 48 TD's at 23 years of age or in there first full season as starters.

Most of them sucked or threw too many interceptions or struggled in certain areas to a degree that showed they still had much work to do...

Marino also put up those numbers at a time when DB's were allowed to mug a WR and never got any pass interference calls.

Manning is a great QB and Brady is similar to Montana in that he is a very good QB that thrives in a certain system.

The problem with the ranking/comparison is that Brady put up 50 Tds and Manning Put up 49 in a time when you can't even touch a WR after 5 yards.

If Marino had those rules in 84 he may have thrown 60 TD's and 5,500 yards.

If Marino had a running game and a defense Miami would have won the 84 SuperBowl and probably several others.

Like Bill Walsh said "Joe Montana was the product of a system, Dan Marino WAS a system."

He carried the offense and team. for that matter, for years.

Montana had Roger Craig and Jerry Rice. Brady has Randy Moss and Manning had Edge and Harrison. Elway had the best O-line in football and a 2000 yard rusher.

Marino turned Duper and Clayton into superstars but they are not the same caliber of WR as Moss, Harrison or Rice who are all first ballot HOF'ers. The only reason Moss wouldn't be is because of his attitude problems but he had more talent than any of them. If he had Rice's work ethic....he would shatter every meaningful record ever made by a WR.

If you want to rank offenses or teams then sure, that list may be more accurate but players like Bradshaw, Brady and Montana played on some phenomenal TEAMS.

They are not better QB's because of Super Bowl victories. That is a team achievement, not individual.

How good would Miami have been if we ever would have had all phases of the team clicking at the same time?

If Shula could have just hit on a few more players at the talent position and O-line in his later years and the ability to hire a decent D-coordinator... this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Marino with a Randy Moss and Roger Craig and the 2002 Miami Defense? Forget about it.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 08:42PM by eesti.

Date: September 03, 2009 12:08AM

how did BRady CHOKE in his last super bowl???? He led his team on a late 4th quarter drive and gave them the lead with around 2 min to play.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 03, 2009 02:15AM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how did BRady CHOKE in his last super bowl???? He
> led his team on a late 4th quarter drive and gave
> them the lead with around 2 min to play.

Simple. The expectation that year was that NE would run away with it. Brady struggled throughout the first 3 quarters and only put something together in the 4th. Unfortunately, Ely Manning outplayed him by a mile.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 03, 2009 05:28AM

Re Graham and Griese:

My dad was a kid when Otto Graham was in his prime (back when the closest NFL team geographically to Miami was the Washington Redskins!). Dad spins some yarns from those days and tells me that Graham was a tough son of a gun who once played with a cast on his leg. This was during the days when Defenders were allowed to tee off on QBs. For all the differences in the game (12 games per season, predominately a running game etc.), Graham passed for almost 3000 yards a couple of times. That is more than chickenfeed for that era.

Griese: This guy called his own plays and was a mastermind at it. Our running plays were very orchestrated, and corny as it sounds, part of Griese's genius was knowing exactly when to call a sweep to Mercury Morris with Little pulling as a guard, when to call for Kiick, Csonka, etc. He also had some PERFECT down and out timing patterns with Twilley, Mandich, etc. and of course the occasional bomb to Warfield. With Griese it was overall quality and variety, not quantity.

People these days who look ONLY at statistics (I'm blaming the proliferation of fantasy football for that, grinning smiley ) fail to realize that the QB position involves more than passing yards. At least it used to be.

Marino belongs higher up than #8, yes. He was the best passing QB of all time, IMO, but I can't say he was the best overall QB (even though I really want to say that).

Date: September 03, 2009 06:31AM

Date: September 03, 2009 06:35AM

ghotirule Wrote:
> Every single player on that team choked

To be completely honest, Welker never gave up (it's not in his nature). I don't think he choked, but, YES, everyone else did.

Date: September 03, 2009 06:43AM

Date: September 03, 2009 06:54AM

ghotirule Wrote:
> To be completely honest, Welker never gave up
> (it's not in his nature). I don't think he choked,
> but, YES, everyone else did.
>
> A Welker fan to the bitter end.
>
> Get over it. He left our team for the Cheaters.
> And he choked.

I suppose blind hatred is understood. I respect players on teams I don't like when they playwell.

Date: September 03, 2009 07:01AM

To me brady and welker can go straight to purgatory.

I agree with anyone that brady is a product of the system installed in new england.

Last time cassel played qb before playing for new england was in highschool. And he looked like a superstar last year. That says it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2009 07:01AM by samsam3738.

Date: September 03, 2009 07:05AM

Date: September 03, 2009 07:08AM

ghotirule Wrote:
> I agree with anyone that brady is a product of the
> system installed in new england.
>
> And that system includes cheating. Brady and his
> team are frauds - the Fraudtriots.

Exactly.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: September 03, 2009 07:11AM

Trying to rate Quarterbacks is dumb as hell. Football is the only sport that is truly a TEAM sport. QBs on great overall teams will win much more. That is why you see Bart Star up there. Not that Star wasn't a great QB at that time, but that high, give me a break.

Can't go by stats alone, can't go by championships or total wins. This is football, not baseball. Way to many subjective feelings.

One good thought stated above is that Marino did change the game. That really says something.

Date: September 03, 2009 07:12AM

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: September 03, 2009 07:54AM

Well...

in the 4th quarter of a football game, i don't think the game has ever seen a better QB than Marino.

Date: September 03, 2009 09:56AM

Brady is good because of the patriots...

The phins were good because of Dan Marino.

Enough said.

Date: September 03, 2009 09:58AM

Brady got pro bowl talent around him....

Marino had Karim (((dont touch me with a fingernail or else i will fall to the ground like sack of potatoes)))) ABdull Jabbar as a running back.

Date: September 03, 2009 09:59AM

Any other questions???

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: September 03, 2009 10:31AM

Why didnt we build a team for Marino? sad smiley

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: September 03, 2009 10:37AM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 03, 2009 10:38AM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 03, 2009 10:43AM

Date: September 03, 2009 12:25PM

But NE also had a pretty good running game even if they had aging vets and role players at RB in a committee system for the most part.

Antowain Smith rushed for 1157/12 in the first SB year and teamed with Faulk to gain 1280 yards in the second SB year.

Corey Dillon gained 1635/12 in the third SB year.

I love Tony Nathan but he never even approached 1000 yards as a rusher. He was a good receiving RB and had over 1000 yards from scrimmage four times in nine seasons (receiving/rushing). I could not say that he was clearly a better RB than any of those backs but he usually shared the rushing load with other RB's....Woody Bennett, Joe Carter, Lorenzo Hampton, Ron Davenport...

NE has typically had a good o-line that could run the ball. What did Marino have? one thousand yard rusher in 17 years? We had a few teams that ran the ball pretty well but that was a product of Dan Marino....pass to set up the rush...84 & 85.

86 & 87 our defense stunk.
88 & 89 no defense and no running game.

It went on and on...Shula just couldn't put all phases together at the same time.

We went 12-4 in 1990 and couldn't even win the division!

.....................................................................................

Date: September 03, 2009 12:52PM

Joe Montana SB seasons...

1981: 2nd ranked defense and 19th ranked rushing (coming off 6-10 season and 3rd place schedule. Placed/drafted 9th overall in the league in 1980)

1984: 10th ranked defense and 3rd ranked rushing

1988: 2nd defense and 3rd rushing

1989: 4th defense and 10th rushing

Date: September 03, 2009 02:13PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.