HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Greg Cote= Loser
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Greg Cote= Loser
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 31, 2009 02:45PM

whaddaya know. another head case player is on the trade market and cote writes a column saying we should trade for him. I read this exact same column about farve, vick, boldin, jay cutler, and now brandon marshal. I am sure I've missed a few. what a loser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greg Cote= Loser
Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: August 31, 2009 05:47PM

Well Marshall wouldnt be that bad, beacause he is young, and i believe that with Sporano, he would instill trust within him, and that would be laying the seeds to a decent HC, player connection resulting in a wonderfull season! Plus a new environment to hopefully florish in?confused smiley

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 31, 2009 05:55PM

Date: August 31, 2009 06:05PM

Well i say pull the trigger. We need to take a chance on making our team a elite option. Almost 40 years since a title, and he would deff help our chances this year.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 31, 2009 06:30PM

MiamiThunder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well i say pull the trigger. We need to take a
> chance on making our team a elite option. Almost
> 40 years since a title, and he would deff help our
> chances this year.

Hmm, can he play defense too? Will he be helping with coverage on ST? Can he block on the O-Line?

NOPE to all 3. Trading for Marshall now would only mortgage the team for the future. As much as you want to believe it, we're not Superbowl material yet. We need improvement in other areas. If we can shore up the O-Line, defend the pass on defense, and keep teams from gaining tons of yards on ST, we won't need a super WR. We may have the best set of RBs in the league. Why spend tons of $$ on a WR when we could just pound the rock down teams' throats?

Face it, as long as we have Pennington our passing game will be mostly short and methodical. We'll win time of possession whether we're running or passing. We'll grind out wins rather than running up the score on other teams. Other teams have gone far doing that. Why not us?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2009 06:32PM by montequi.

Date: August 31, 2009 07:08PM

Date: September 01, 2009 02:22AM

Hey Phinfan2,

You missed the main point of my post. We have higher priorities than a single WR. Unfortunately, we're not "one player away" from being a Superbowl threat. Let's shore up the O-Line before we start investing more money in other offensive positions. Pennington won't be able to throw to Marshall off his back!

Posted by: miamid45 ()
Date: September 01, 2009 05:06AM

What would it take to get him?

A second round pick? That's mortgaging the future?

It's definitely worth the risk, as he has easily 5 good years ahead of him.

Look we all hate the Pats, but they've always had the b^%lls to take a chance!

I say go for it...fed up of watching a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers posing as our top receivers!

Date: September 01, 2009 05:16AM

miamid45 Wrote:
> What would it take to get him?
>
> A second round pick? That's mortgaging the
> future?
>
...and a hit to our cap...and pressure to play the high-paid vet..and one less roster spot for an aspiring young player...and a possible cancer in the lockerroom if he complains about not getting enough passes thrown to him.

Luckily, Sparano isn't the kind of coach to change his gameplan to suit the needs of his high-paid WR, but that may not sit well with Marshall.

Date: September 01, 2009 07:41AM

Posted by: miamid45 ()
Date: September 01, 2009 08:09AM

Date: September 01, 2009 08:12AM

Hey i would even trade a number one pick and turner. Look he would bring instint playoff caliber football Period! Yes he is imature, but only 25!! not 35 like Owens! I mean if it wasnt for Mcfagels, the Bears wouldnt have Cutler, and now some team is going to benefit HUGELY WITH a Brandon Marshall, which shouldnt have been traded, but thank god for Mcfagels, and the Patriots for letting him go!!!!! If we can get him, damnit we better try!

Date: September 01, 2009 08:14AM

I mean how long has it been since we had a wr with Marshalls skills? Without dan the man, how good would have mcduffies have been, and mark super looper dupper!! Come on damnit i want excitment in the wr field!! It would open up BIG for our running game, and MAN the wildcat would be FIERCE!

Date: September 01, 2009 08:35AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> How are you going to shore up the O-line? Jake
> Long isn't going anywhere. Carey and Jake Grove
> just signed long term deals this past off-season.
> Donald Thomas is going to be a star at RG.
> Smiley is a very solid Pro at LG.

Have you been satisfied with our O-Line play this preseason? Are you certain Grove is the answer? Are you 100% convinced last year's injury isn't affecting either Thomas or Smiley? Are you sure they won't get injured again THIS year? Where's our depth?

>
> No offensive line has pro bowlers at every
> position, but we have an EXTRMELY young line that
> has pro bowl caliber players at all but one
> position.

Smiley isn't Pro-Bowl caliber. Grove isn't Pro-Bowl caliber. When was the last time Carey and Thomas made the Pro-Bowl? Don't talk about Pro-Bowl caliber until one of them actually MAKES a Pro-Bowl!

> Besides, where are you going to get an upgrade for
> Smiley now? You can't. You'll have to wait
> until next off-season to seeif one hits free
> agency or if you are in a position to draft one.
> Even then, that guy might not live up to
> expectations.
>
> Marshall is an all-pro level WR. He can be had
> NOW. His impact on the offense will be to make
> EVERYONE better. He's a guy that demands double
> coverage and can still beat it. That makes ginn
> better by allowing him to go up against the
> opponets #2 cb one-on-one. Same for our slot
> WR's. That makes Pennigton better because he'll
> have more open WR's to choose from. A more
> effective passing game makes it easier to run
> since defenses will be forced to guess more and
> will therefore be off balance more. A more
> effective running game makes play-action more
> effective, which helps the O-line keep people off
> the QB's back.

How would an investment in Marshall help if Pennington doesn't have time to throw to him?

>
> If we can get him for a #2 this year and Patrick
> Turner, AND we feel he's more Randy Moss than
> Terrell Ownens, then we'd be nuts not to do it.

That's a lot to put on faith. It's a gamble, however you spin it.

Date: September 01, 2009 08:51AM

Actuly our pass protection hasnt been that bad this preseason, but yeah our running game needs to improve with opened up holes starting up front. Pennington would have plenty of time to find Marshall. Look if we get him, and he ends up a great fit wouldnt you feel .... If he doesnt fit then oh well! At least we would have the balls to know what if, instead of asking what if.

Date: September 01, 2009 08:52AM

Date: September 01, 2009 09:03AM

Please i wish PRAY PARCELLS TAKE THE MAN!!!!! Come on ONLY 25!!!

Date: September 01, 2009 09:42AM

Going after Marshall could do alot for this team.
Date: September 01, 2009 08:28AM

Well if we went after Marshall alot could happen. First we could trade Turner, and London, and a second round pick. That would give us 5 wr's and that could create a 4th running back slot for hilliard. We would have Marshall, Ginn, and prob Bess in slot, with Hartline as 4th option while Cam is 5th untill he is 100 percent. We would be rid of Londons salary, and that combined with Turner's, signing Marshall wouldnt be that expensive considering two players for one. Well what do you think? It could also open up a spot for another defensive player to stay on the 53! All while making us a much better threat for any team to play!

Re: Going after Marshall could do alot for this team.
Date: September 01, 2009 08:41AM

Dude, please stop creating additional threads for things that are already being discussed elsewhere.

Re: Going after Marshall could do alot for this team.
Date: September 01, 2009 08:48AM

Sorry, just thought that with the name Brandon Marshall, that this could be the correct, and official talkie talk post for this particular topic!

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: September 02, 2009 05:43AM

Did you see the video of Marshall having a temper tantrum in practice?

No way Parcells trades for that guy. And I don't blame him.

Date: September 02, 2009 06:06AM

So you let him beat us with the jets?

Date: September 02, 2009 07:12AM

MiamiThunder Wrote:
> So you let him beat us with the jets?

Actually, we let them self-destruct with him.

Date: September 02, 2009 08:39AM

Is that the only thing people on here can say when another team picks up better talent that us. Let them implode? He didnt implode on his team, the team fired his head coach, got rid of his QB, and basicaly said its this way or the highway. Yeah i think that he should carry himself like a man, instead of acting like a baby. But he is 25, and clearly still imature, Regardless of his imaturity, his skills we could use, and i feel out weigh the potential backlash that he could bring.

Date: September 02, 2009 08:44AM

And as Dolphin fans, i think its time to put the conservative talk to the wind, and take a damn chance on a true number one wr. Yeah our core should be a solid one, but Ginn is no Marshall. If the Jets end up with him thats a much better team! Who not only would give us a run for our money, but would prob beat us if the Dirty Sanchez is as good as everyone thinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 08:45AM by MiamiThunder.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 02, 2009 02:04PM

but Ginn is no Marshall.

How would you know that?

You do not know anything....

Oh and we beat the crap out of $hits last year and we will do it again this year. Weather you like it or not. When you are in the school cafeteria tommorrow, eat that for lunch.

Ps: You are actually starting to sound correct! BUSTED !!!!!!

Date: September 02, 2009 03:39PM

How do i know he is not? Lets see 3 years in the league and how many TD'S, and recieving yards. Lets talley up Marshall's td's and recieving yards. How many pro bowls does Ginn have? Dont even go there, Ginn has great speed thats it, everything else he does is on the upperside of average. Dont get me wrong i dont hate Ginn, and hope he can turn into a solid wr, but never a Marshall.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 03, 2009 06:24AM

Ginn will never be a Marshall in terms of the type of player he is - big, tall, physical.

However, I'm not sure the difference is truly that dramatic. Marshall had 6 TDs last year, Ginn had 2 receiving and 2 rushing. Cutler threw 140 more times than Pennington. Given Penny's 67.4% completion percentage and the percentage of completions that went to Ginn (56 of 321 = 17.4%) it's relatively reasonable to extrapolate that - if the Phins had simply thrown as much as the Broncos - Ginn would have had more like 73 catches for for 1023 yards and maybe another TD or two. Literally the only variable in this extrapolation is number of pass attempts.

If that were the case, Marshall would have a little over 200 more yards on 31 more catches and maybe one more total touchdown.

Also, I'm not in the business of bashing Pennington's arm strength/long ball/spiral/whatever, but I'm sure Cutler would have taken greater advantage of Ginn's long speed.

Date: September 03, 2009 10:28AM

True, but Ginn does not like to go over the middle, we all know he likes to ride to the outside, somthing i hope he changes this year.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.