HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Michael Vick signs
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Michael Vick signs
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 13, 2009 03:48PM

2 year deal with the Eagles.

I don't get this. West coast team. Didn't do well in west coast system.

and why is Monday Night Football on Thursday?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Michael Vick signs
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 13, 2009 04:36PM

I bet he won't play much if at all this year.

Just my prediction.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 13, 2009 04:39PM

Perfect place for him. Worst-character fans with the worst-character QB. A match made in heaven.

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: August 13, 2009 08:59PM

I was going to say the same thing, but in reality, the Eagles where only real option looking at where the team's are located and what the majority of fan base is. I noticed when i would go to NFL.com and jump on the threads about Vick, most of the supporters where inner city people mainly black, so when i heard Philly, i said "well PETA might be to scared to show up there on a regular bases, and Philly has a high population of Inner city black's which is just what Vick needs to succeed, even though i dont think he is going to contribute much. When people said maybe Green Bay, i said it could, but the population up there is mostly suburban white, which prob wouldn fair to well with Vick, as alot of suburbia life styles have pets especialy dog's with kids. So basicaly its going to be interesting how the media spins this and how if at all will PETA be protesting, anyways good luck to Vick and Philly,even though i dont support him being in the NFL.

Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: August 14, 2009 06:26AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2 year deal with the Eagles.

It's one year with an option. Vick gets something like $1.6 million this year, pro-rated if he has to serve a suspension. The option year is for $5 million.

Unless he plays a ton and the Eagles win the Super Bowl, there is no way in bleep the team will pick up the option.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 14, 2009 06:43AM

Their back up QB (Kolb) got hurt.

Heard Tony Dungy interviewed on it and his point was that he was going there not just to play now but for the environment with intention to turn life around.

He will also need some time to get back to playing shape.

Upside for Eagles is insurance policy, someone who can step in and play if Donovan went down.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 14, 2009 06:56AM

Thirteen Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 2 year deal with the Eagles.
>
> It's one year with an option. Vick gets something
> like $1.6 million this year, pro-rated if he has
> to serve a suspension.

Dang!! The guy goes from prison to making $1.6 million. Sometimes crime DOES pay.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: August 14, 2009 07:04AM

Crime pays? How much money did this idiot lose by pulling that bonehead trick? I would venture to say that the Eagles were the only team willing to take him. Why would anyother team what that bad PR.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 14, 2009 07:09AM

How much money did he lose? Did he have to pay the money back, or was it money he didn't have yet? I don't understand why ANY NFL team picked him up, but what I REALLY don't get is, if Philly was the ONLY team interested, why aren't they paying him the vet minimum? Why the heck would they offer him an option year at $5 Million?!! They guy isn't in demand. He's been out of football for 2 years, and he wasn't even that good to begin with.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 14, 2009 07:21AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 07:23AM by samsam3738.

Posted by: KickNGo ()
Date: August 14, 2009 08:00AM

I don't think this was a wise move on Philly's part.The backlash from this could be devastrating from a public relations viewpoint...honestly,what do they think is going to happen?I have owned dogs all my life and I personally think Vick is a horrible human being who has exercised some terrible judgement calls in his past....and call me what you will,but I just cannot get past the dog fighting thing.I am not going to protest at the stadium bevcause of it but I have to say that him playing football again leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.Holy %$%#@ the guy was endorsed by such NFL luminaries as Terrell Owens and Ocho stinko.Doesn't this tell anyone anything?
Bad move Philadelphia.

Date: August 14, 2009 08:26AM

Philly wasn't the only team interested which is why he signed a contract well above the veteran minimum.

Buffalo is another team that was looking but must not have offered as much.

I have no problem with him getting another chance. For one thing it just shows how stupid our justice system is...

Donte Stallworth kills someone and gets less than a month in jail and Vick gets two years for killing pit bulls. One was federal and one was state but it's still ridiculous.

That's along the lines of the guy that got caught with a couple garbage bags full of ditch weed getting 25 years with no parole and a rapist getting released after 7 years.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: August 14, 2009 08:46AM

Phinjim Wrote:
> Their back up QB (Kolb) got hurt.

But they also have A.J. Feeley. Oh, right -- never mind.

Cincinnati also was interested in Vick and offered him a couple mill over two years. Hopefully somebody in the organization realized that signing him would have made the Bengals a bigger joke than they already are.

Posted by: KickNGo ()
Date: August 14, 2009 08:53AM

Thirteen Wrote:
> Phinjim Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Their back up QB (Kolb) got hurt.
>
> But they also have A.J. Feeley. Oh, right --
> never mind.
>
> Cincinnati also was interested in Vick and offered
> him a couple mill over two years. Hopefully
> somebody in the organization realized that signing
> him would have made the Bengals a bigger joke than
> they already are.
LOL...you got that right...but Ochostinko would have been beside himself with joy.

Date: August 14, 2009 08:55AM

Andy Reid said Vick would have to play a position other than QB. Kolb only has a sprained knee and will return.

Looks like Wildcat in Philly

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 14, 2009 01:59PM

Date: August 14, 2009 04:51PM

LOl what does dog fighting got to do with what i wrote? I was simply stating what ive read and who ive chatted with about a certain topic and gave details on why Philly was the best pick for Vick. I can understand if what i said wasnt true, but its reaity, regardless if we like it or hate it.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 14, 2009 04:56PM

MiamiThunder Wrote:
...... I noticed when i would go to NFL.com
> and jump on the threads about Vick, most of the
> supporters where inner city people mainly black,

I'm curious: how the heck can you tell what someone's race is from their posts on a message board? Is it video chat or something where you can see what everyone looks like?

Date: August 14, 2009 05:07PM

I either ask them, or they let it be known?

Date: August 14, 2009 05:11PM

I dont care about Vick he is a bum, who does not deserve to play. Thats how i view him, and feel that if somone thinks torturing animals to death is ok, then they are also in need of phsychiactric help.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: August 15, 2009 03:36AM

"We all have issues, we all deal with certain things and we all have our own set of inequities."

This is typical stuff that Vick has said lately. I don't think he's taking much responsibility. No, we don't all have issues like that. I don't kill dogs. It's the same thing wife beaters say, or people with bad drug habits, or people with pretty abusive mental disorders who end hurting other people. If everyone is like them, it makes them seem less bad, right?

And as far as Stallworth goes, he was punished more. He's suspended from the NFL, on probation, has to do community service, and his drivers licence was revoked for life. Vick has his license, Vick can get around anywhere he wants, Vick is playing in the NFL, Vick has fans, and Vick's going to see a payday.

DUI is something everyone faces. You drink a beer, you get in a car, you'd better pray that nothing happens on the road because your lack of sobriety will be blamed. What if that was me, coming home from a nice hotel, in the dark, and some guy runs across the road (not in a crosswalk), and I don't see him. I hit him. Can it happen? Heck yeah. But I'll tell you what,....torture, killing, and gambling is NOT an accident. I won't accidently leave my house one day and torture dogs. And then do it again the next day, and again, and again, year after year.

And they say this is about dogs, but you just know that that kind of callousness and cruelty wouldn't stop at dogs. For laughs, you can bet they threw in some other animals in the ring just to see what the dogs would do. Then they'd yuck it up and drink some more bud.

He's lucky he's in philly, because he'd definitely get a hard time in another city.

thumbs down

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: August 15, 2009 03:40AM

And btw there was ZERO chance he'd be signed by Miami. LESS than zero. Not one fan would want him, and the demographic here wouldn't be sympathetic to him. Plus the owners and front office are professional, and they have pride. In dirty Philly anything's possible.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 15, 2009 06:21AM

YAWN.

Date: August 15, 2009 06:43AM

Vick got an offer from Cincy, turned it down. Got another offer from a team that isn't named yet (many think Buffalo), then also got the Philly offer. So there was a mini-bidding war over him. The vet minimum is $900,000 for someone with his senority in the league, he got $1.6 mill which proves he had teams chasing him.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 15, 2009 05:58PM

Date: August 15, 2009 10:15PM

I heard it was on a billboard. Tough crowd!

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: August 16, 2009 02:32AM

yeah lots of backlash here in the philly area...

Anyhow i think this is a perfect opportunity for vick. One opinion which i really like is that donavan was a scrambling qb coming out of the Q now he has become very balanced and scrambles to set up the pass. I think vick can learn alot from donavan as far as film study and how to be a dual threat. If he gets another opportunity to be a franchise guy he will be 30-31 and will have to rely on his judgemnt and arm strength and not so heavy on his legs.

-also goodell was backing the signing of vick and was selling him to joe banner (eagles pres) and last I checked goodell was not black

And yes inner city cats are backing vick, why? because the fist is stronger than 5 fingers, think about it...

Date: August 16, 2009 06:40AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
> "We all have issues, we all deal with certain
> things and we all have our own set of
> inequities."
>
> This is typical stuff that Vick has said lately.
> I don't think he's taking much responsibility.

He has also said the he knows it was wrong, he is ashamed, he wants to be a role model and he wants to work with the HS to save many more animals than he has killed.

> No, we don't all have issues like that. I don't
> kill dogs. It's the same thing wife beaters say,
> or people with bad drug habits, or people with
> pretty abusive mental disorders who end hurting
> other people. If everyone is like them, it makes
> them seem less bad, right?

Well everyone does have issues whether you want to admit to it or not. They are all at different levels and no, we don't all kill dogs.

>
> And as far as Stallworth goes, he was punished
> more.

I'll tell you what. Go spend two years in Leavenworth and then tell me if a couple years of probation or being locked up is worse.

He's suspended from the NFL, on probation,
> has to do community service, and his drivers
> licence was revoked for life.

HE TOOK A HUMAN LIFE and got a slap on the wrist from the state. He also failed the NFL's drug test. The hardest part is losing your drivers license but not when you are a millionaire and can easily have a chauffeur drive you around which is what he should have done in the first place.

Vick has his
> license, Vick can get around anywhere he wants,
> Vick is playing in the NFL, Vick has fans, and
> Vick's going to see a payday.

He paid his debt to society.

>
> DUI is something everyone faces. You drink a
> beer, you get in a car, you'd better pray that
> nothing happens on the road because your lack of
> sobriety will be blamed. What if that was me,
> coming home from a nice hotel, in the dark, and
> some guy runs across the road (not in a
> crosswalk), and I don't see him. I hit him. Can
> it happen? Heck yeah. But I'll tell you
> what,....torture, killing, and gambling is NOT an
> accident. I won't accidently leave my house one
> day and torture dogs. And then do it again the
> next day, and again, and again, year after year.

You won't accidentally get drunk and accidentally get behind the wheel of a car either.

>
>
> And they say this is about dogs, but you just know
> that that kind of callousness and cruelty wouldn't
> stop at dogs. For laughs, you can bet they threw
> in some other animals in the ring just to see what
> the dogs would do. Then they'd yuck it up and
> drink some more bud.

Speculation but not unreasonable to think.

>
> He's lucky he's in philly, because he'd definitely
> get a hard time in another city.
>
> thumbs down

Bottom line is he has the endorsement of a man that is said to be incapable of lying. Dungy said he is remorseful and I tend to believe him.

Actions speak louder than words so we will all see. Is he sorry he tortured animals or is he sorry he got caught and lost hundreds of millions of dollars?

Time will tell. He may be conning everyone but a con job won't stand the test of time. Frankly, I've heard him speak before and he's not that smart.

We'll see if he can stay away from the thugs he used to run with. That will be the true test.

Date: August 16, 2009 07:28AM

the fastest selling shirt in Philly these past few days is one that reads........."HIDE YOUR BEAGLE, VICK's AN EAGLE"

If you see the picture that goes with that saying its friggin hillarious

Date: August 16, 2009 07:39AM

So PF-2 says...look 6 posts above this one.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.