HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Miami vs Atlanta
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Miami vs Atlanta
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 07, 2009 03:29PM

Adam_SchefterDon't know if there are any contract #s on Chiefs DE Tyson Jackson, but I was told 5 years, $57 million, $31 million guaranteed.

OUch!

ArmandoSalgueroFormer Dolphin WR Marty Booker signed with ATL. If he makes the team, Will Allen will shut him down Sept. 13 like practice in the old days.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Miami vs Atlanta
Date: August 07, 2009 03:30PM

Adam_SchefterFalcons today signed free agent wide receivers Marty Booker and Robert Ferguson and placed wide receiver Harry Douglas on injured reserve.8:22 PM Aug 6th from web

.....................................................................................

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 07, 2009 03:44PM

Allen won't be on Booker. He will be on White or Jenkins.

Booker is just insurance to replace Douglas who is out for the year

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: August 07, 2009 04:59PM

Why have a name like Miami vs Atlanta to talk about Marty washed up Booker?

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 07, 2009 05:32PM

Atlanta also signed Ferguson. No lock Booker even makes the team

Posted by: dielan ()
Date: August 07, 2009 06:18PM

Thanks for the thread...
Better than talking in a Cam Wake reporttongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 08, 2009 09:00AM

dielan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate how the reason you guys say you will win is
> wildcat. It seems like its the only answer you
> guys can give.

Jake Grove upgrades an offensive line that struggled in 08 because of injuries to both starting guards. The line is back in tact and will feature Jake Long LT, Justin Smiley LG, Grove, Donald Thomas RG, Vernon Carey RT.

Jake Long gave up 2.5 sacks in 08 but really developed as the season went on. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie and will only be better this year. The 6'7, 320 lb mountain of a man will shut down Atlanta best defender, John Abraham.

It takes two years to fully recover from the knee surgery Brown had in 07. He was feeling healthy at the end of last year but will be 100% to start the season. He was leading the NFL before the injury in 07 and will be back in Pro Bowl form.

Miami had the 11th ranked rushing attack in 08. With a healthy line we will make the jump to a top 5 attack.

Atlanta was 26th vs the rush in 08. The lines only change involves the thinking that 1st rounder Peria Jerry will start. This will not be enough to stop the running game of Miami.

Atlanta's secondary ranked 21st in 08. They lost their best CB and will rely on an untested backup coming off of IR, one up and coming talented CB in Houston and two rookies. They could be much worse this year.

Ted Ginn is poised for a breakout year as he will show everyone in week 1.

The starting CB's for Atl will be Chris Houston 5'11 178 and Von Hutchins 5'10 180.

Miami's red zone offense will feature some combination of these players....

Greg Camarillo, 6'1 190
Patrick Turner at 6'5 225
Brandon London 6'4, 210
Anthony Fasano 6'4 260
David Martin 6'4 265

Can you say jump ball?

Davone Bess was an undrafted free agent in 08 who snagged 54 receptions and has since added 10 lbs and refined his abilities. He will work in the slot and create mismatches with ATL LB'ers.

While splitting time in 08 Anthony Fasano and David Martin combine for 64 receptions and 904 yards. Their first year with a new QB and new offense. Curtis Lofton, Mike Peterson and ??? to cover these guys????

Atlanta offense: #6 in 08, projected #4 in 09
Miami offense: #12 in 08, projected #6 in 09

Atlanta defense: #24 in 08, projected #26 in 09
Miami defense: #15 in 08, projected #7 in 09.

#6 Miami offense vs #26 Atlanta defense
#4 Atlanta offense vs #7 Miami defense

Miami 35
Atlanta 17

Who needs the Wildcat?

Date: August 08, 2009 10:55AM

Adam_Schefter More bad injury news for the Eagles on a player they really liked. cornelius ingram acl, done for season

Date: August 08, 2009 11:53AM

See and everyone is scared of the Eagles? What you want invicible lately? lol

Date: August 08, 2009 04:59PM

ATL: Roddy White's holdout ending tomorrow. He reached agreement on 6 year, $50 million deal, including $18.6 mil gtd, team source said.

Six unsigned 1st rounders remaining: OTs Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe, DT BJ Raji, WR Michael Crabtree, DE Aron Maybin, CB Michael Jenkins.

Adam_Schefter

Posted by: Bmoretildeath ()
Date: August 08, 2009 05:07PM

I'm not really in the mood to do any research and do this myself but splitting up the matchups the way eesti did it is very wise but I would do it:

Atlanta pass offense vs Miami pass defence
Atlanta run offense vs Miami run defence
etc...

Just to go more in depth. Just an idea for you Dielan for how to counter.

Date: August 09, 2009 07:39AM

Its like saying Detroits pass offense versus Miami's pass offense? lol

Date: August 09, 2009 08:26AM

If you look at my example, it's Miami's pass Defense Vs Atlanta's pass Offense.

Date: August 09, 2009 08:40AM

I'll just do it myself.

Atlanta Pass Offense 14th Vs 25th Miami Pass Defense
Atlanta Run Offense 2nd Vs 10th Miami Run Defense
Miami Pass Offense 10th Vs 21st Atlanta Pass Defense
Miami Run Offense 11th Vs 25th Atlanta Run Defense

These are all 2008 rankings. You can expect improvements from:

Atlanta's pass offense due to Gonzalez's arrival
Miami's pass offense slighlty due to the maturation of the receivers. Miami's pass defense due to the arrival of Gibril Wilson and added pressure linebackers.
Atlanta's pass and run defence will suffer due to losses during the offseason (Milloy, Foxworth, Boley)

I think that Atlanta won't have trouble putting up points against Miami or against any other team besides the Pittsburgh's of the league. However, not many teams will have trouble putting points up on them.

Both teams will find it easy to run on the opposing teams yet if Atlanta finds themselves down late in the game, they will be able to put up points through the air which I don't see Miami being able to do.

Atlanta 24 Miami 21

This game will come down in the fourth quarter and Atlanta has too many offensive weapons to be stopped.

Date: August 09, 2009 09:38AM

Except....

The difference lies with the bigger separation between the Atl defense and the Miami offense.

The Falcons have too many holes on defense at all stages...front, middle and edge.

I don't see Sam Baker being able to contain Porter and Taylor. It is not hard to imagine JT taking over and causing a sack, FF and possibly a TD. Don't forget this is a guy who has 120 career sacks, 41 FF's, 7 int's, 81 pass defenses, 8 TD's and 2 safeties.

People will remember early what effect JT has on a game when he is motivated. BTW, he is more motivated now that ever before in his career. Plus our new strength and conditioning program is better than anything JT has ever gone through. It's a big reason why Porter had the best year of his career.

I also don't think Falcons D tackles can handle Jake Grove, Donald Thomas and Justin Smiley. I don't think we will have to double any of the Atlanta d-line. That leaves one o-lineman free to get after LB'ers to help out the FB and TE. The Atl DB's are in for a long day trying to tackle the 235 lb Brown. Ronnie will wear them down and after the first couple of tackles, they won't be so apt to take him on.

Our rush D won't be as easy to run on as Atlanta's even though Atl will have some success. Ronnie Brown could have a big day to counter Turner.

And we had the number 15 defense without Jason Taylor, Cameron Wake, Gibril Wilson and the best two CB's in this years draft. last year the only pass rush was from Porter. The improved rush will help our DB's more this year even though they are more talented than last years group.

Another huge factor is the turnover ratio. Miami set an NFL record with +17 while Atlanta was 21st in the league at -3 !!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 09:54AM by eesti.

Date: August 09, 2009 01:31PM

Just listened to an interview with Michael Lombardi. His prediction for the Atlanta defense this year... Atrocious!

Date: August 09, 2009 02:48PM

They defense will be pretty horrid this year. Last year, their defense was an obvious weak spot with a shinning star in Abraham but this already weak defense has lost 3 starting players in Milloy, Boley and Foxworth whom they have not replaced. Sometimes, these analysts predict the obvious but that's another story.

I was gonna write how Jason Taylor is washed up but decided against it after looking past last year's stats. Unless last year's injury is an indication of something...

Last year, Atlanta's O-line shut out Jared Allen, Kampman and the entire Bears defense. They gave up only 1 sack to Peppers during 2 games and only allowed 2 sacks to the eagles who had 48 total sacks during the regular season. These players and teams were all expected to pressure Matt Ryan during their matchup when he was a rookie yet didn't. What makes you think the Dolphins will pressure a more experienced, mature Ryan this year?

The two CBs you drafted won't have any impact in the first game of the season. Actually, besides running backs, no rookies will have any impact during the first game of the season.

Yes, your defence has improved but so has Atlanta's offense. They added a number target in almost any other offense yet he'll probably be the third option behind White and Turner for Atlanta.

Regarding the interior lineman, I believe you are over-estimating them. Right guard Donald Thomas tore his biceps in minicamp in late May. There's no telling when he'll be ready to go, and it must be noted that Thomas was just coming off Lisfranc surgery. Taking his place is Brandon Frye, who has no career starts. At left guard, Justin Smiley will be hoping for his first injury-free season since 2006; he has missed 12 games the past two years. Newly signed Jake Grove, meanwhile, has enjoyed only one healthy campaign in his five-year career; Grove has missed 13 contests in the past two seasons. (Off WalterFootball.com)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 09, 2009 03:27PM

Date: August 09, 2009 03:43PM

OWNAGE !!! You tell em eSstie's!!!

Date: August 09, 2009 03:53PM

Bmoretildeath Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I was gonna write how Jason Taylor is washed up
> but decided against it after looking past last
> year's stats. Unless last year's injury is an
> indication of something...

last year was a fluke because they played him injured and at LDE. He is not a LDE. They chose Andre Carter to play the most important line position while JT wasted away on the right playing the run.

> Last year, Atlanta's O-line shut out Jared Allen,

He is the only pass rusher the Vikes have.

> Kampman

same deal

and the entire Bears defense.

Bears defense sucked last year and had NO pass rush (28 sacks)

They gave up
> only 1 sack to Peppers during 2 games

who is the other pass rusher? Nobody.

and only
> allowed 2 sacks to the eagles who had 48 total
> sacks during the regular season. These players and
> teams were all expected to pressure Matt Ryan
> during their matchup when he was a rookie yet
> didn't. What makes you think the Dolphins will
> pressure a more experienced, mature Ryan this
> year?

Joey and Jason. two players with 15-18 sack potential.

>
> The two CBs you drafted won't have any impact in
> the first game of the season. Actually, besides
> running backs, no rookies will have any impact
> during the first game of the season.

Don't be so sure. Smith is going to be the next Nnamdi and Davis is pretty darn good too. This is a guy that could have went in the top 10 if not for false rumors prior to the draft. Top 10 CB's start.

Smith would have too but people are afraid to gamble on his size...

> Yes, your defence has improved but so has
> Atlanta's offense. They added a number target in
> almost any other offense yet he'll probably be the
> third option behind White and Turner for Atlanta.
>
> Regarding the interior lineman, I believe you are
> over-estimating them. Right guard Donald Thomas
> tore his biceps in minicamp in late May. There's
> no telling when he'll be ready to go, and it must
> be noted that Thomas was just coming off Lisfranc
> surgery.

Thomas never tore his pec. That was misreported. He will be ready. if not Shawn Murphy or Joe Berger will take his place not Frye who is a backup tackle and everyone has to start sometime. They are both upgrades over last years starter at RG.

Taking his place is Brandon Frye, who has
> no career starts. At left guard, Justin Smiley
> will be hoping for his first injury-free season
> since 2006; he has missed 12 games the past two
> years. Newly signed Jake Grove, meanwhile, has
> enjoyed only one healthy campaign in his five-year
> career; Grove has missed 13 contests in the past
> two seasons. (Off WalterFootball.com)

We are all aware of the injury histories but like I said. We have a great conditioning program and all players will be in their best shape ever.

Nobody can predict injuries because anyone can get injured at any time but this regime does a nice job of reshaping players with injury concerns...Yeremiah Bell, Andre Goodman, Pennington, Brown...etc.

Date: August 09, 2009 03:54PM

Date: August 09, 2009 03:57PM

Date: August 09, 2009 05:24PM

I clearly wrote that Atlanta's defense was horrid last season and only got worse during the offseason. Why are you trying to prove something to me that I already mentioned?

"I was gonna write how Jason Taylor is washed up BUT DECIDED AGAINST it after looking past last year's stats."

BUT DECIDED AGAINST IT. BUT DECIDED AGAINST IT. BUT DECIDED AGAINST IT.

Regarding Atlanta's offensive line vs premier pass rushers last year, they shut them down. In case you didn't know, these premier pass rushers went 1 on 1 against Atlanta's offensive tackles. Porter and Taylor will go 1 on 1 against Atlanta's tackles. History proves Atlanta shuts down these pass rushers.

I don't care if Davis or Smith will be the next Deion Sanders. During week 1, they are Vontae Davis and Sean Smith. They are rookies making their first appearances in the National Football League in another teams home stadium.

I didn't write that piece of Miami's offensive line WHICH I CLEARLY STATED. That's what "Off Walterfootball.com" means. It was taken off that site. I don't know anything about Miami's offensive line and that is why I chose not not write about it and to take an experts opinion on the subject.

You tell me I know nothing? You're saying that Donald Thomas is a Pro-Bowler yet he has played ONE game in the NFL.

Eesti: Would it make you feel better if I changed my name to FALCOHALICS? I enjoy debating these subjects as I suppose this entire site does and that's why I'm here. All I have to worry about pertaining to the Steelers is that Walt Coleman isn't our referee again.

Is there anything else I need to clear up that I wrote in my previous post or this one. And if your gonna challenge me on a subject I wrote about, actually read it twice. Both of you got offended with my "I was gonna write how Jason Taylor is washed up but decided against it after looking past last year's stats." phrase YET I was stating that he wasn't actually washed up.

Date: August 09, 2009 05:29PM

Bottom line our team will have a better record this year than yours. Your team MIGHT make playoffs as wildcard, thats right your team will only make it as a wildcard and loose on the road.Miami has the talent the coaching and the mentality to take it to everyone, in fact i have been saying 13.3 before ANYONE after looking at what teams has done in offseason and following injuries and such. I like my team do to fact the players WANT to play here unlike teams like Oakland, Cin, Denver. ect ect. Our team will go deep in the playoffs, while your team wont this year. Thats it dude im sorry its not what you want to hear, but look at the offseasn.

Date: August 09, 2009 05:57PM

How do that relate to Miami vs Atlanta?

Also, all you did in that post is say that "my team will do better than yours". You didn't back up any of your claims with, well, anything. All I know, this could have been meant for any other apposing fan.

You say people actually want to play in Miami. Sorry, No. Players want to play for Superbowl Contenders but more importantly where the money is. Anyone will play for the Lions for 20 million a year. just cause a player says "I'm so happy to be here it's been a dream since I've been a child." Sorry to break the news to you but they all say that.

Miami isn't winning the AFC East this year nor are we winning the AFC North. And playing on the road obviously isn't very intimidating for us as we won twice on the road last year during the playoffs.

Date: August 09, 2009 06:07PM

Date: August 09, 2009 06:30PM

Good point but they won't both be coming on 3rd or 2nd down so they'll be facing 1 at a time and if they DO bring both, there will be an abundance of space for the dangerous Norwood coming out of the backfield. Atlanta could also counter by sending a quick pass to their new tight end on a 3 step drop.

Regarding the paragraph sent to you, I was replying to your last paragraph where you ask why a Baltimore fan is worried about a Miami vs Atlanta game. I would copy paste it for you but apple didn't think it was neccesary for an iPod to have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 08:29PM by Bmoretildeath.

Date: August 09, 2009 07:20PM

Date: August 10, 2009 04:39AM

Date: August 10, 2009 08:44AM

Oops. Your right. That was meant for ghotirule. I was confused because right after, MiamiThunder wrote "Ownage nice eesti" or something like that and that made my think it was you who wrote the previous post.

Wouldn't the Steelers be considered one sided yet the dominated this entire decade. They were ranked 22nd on offense. Atlanta was ranked 24 on defense.

What I meant was that you won't be blitzing both Taylor and Porter on each down so if Ryan or his center is good enough at realizing which is coming, they could slide the protection to that side or change their blocking assignments. Obviously he won't guess which is blitzing every time but being correct, say, 50% will help him convert on 3rd downs.

If you bring both, that creates space for Norwood as a receiver, not as a rusher.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.