HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          "Make or Break" Year for Ted Ginn Jr.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
"Make or Break" Year for Ted Ginn Jr.
Date: July 27, 2009 07:30AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Make or Break" Year for Ted Ginn Jr.
Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: July 27, 2009 08:52AM

I think pennington can air it out, he has always been injured and i think he did more this offseason to get stronger, i mean i know he always hear's weak arm strength, and im sure he is working on it.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: July 27, 2009 11:10AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: July 27, 2009 11:15AM

Ginn and Pennington aside as individuals aside ... there are a lot of factors that point to a likely improvement for Ginn this year.

Yes it is a make or break year for him. He needs to step up or step down this year. The FO will get another weapon if the WR corp does not shine .

1. Year three is usually the breakout year for a young wr.
2. Both are now ingrainedin "knowing" vs. learning the system and each other.
3. We should ahve a better OL, and another year together for Jake
4. We should havbe a much improved running game.
5. We should get the ball back a lot more than last year if our secondary gels.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:29PM

Pennington seems to think his arm is stronger than it has ever been. I'll take his word for it. The guy has been nothing but honest since he has been here.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: July 27, 2009 01:11PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 28, 2009 05:36AM

I don't think you can just say Ginn will never be utilized because of CP's lack of arm strength.

He is still learning and from reports has made great progress in the off season in route running etc.

It's not like the only time he can be successful is on 50 yard bombs. As his routes improve and he is able to get greater separation, he will be able to turn more 10 yard passes into long gains.

The beefing up of our running game is going to cause more 8 in the box scenarios and give him the chance to take it the distance as well. If he can beat his man and the safety is playing the run or biting on play action, it should help him even more.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: July 28, 2009 10:46AM

I have to disagree with the assumption that Chad P is the cause for Ginn's woes ... or that he isnlt realized because of it.

CP if anything has improved Ginn due to accuracy. Ginn was not able to get open based on his supposed superior speed, until CP came along and put the ball where no one but Ginn could get to it.

The only thing holding Ginn back from realizing his potentional is Ginn, and perhaps a little better run game to make the play action work to the passing game advantage.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 10:58AM

I have to say that our receivers are not that talented. Pennington makes them better than what they are.

Like that saying.......you can't make chicken salad out of chicken $H!T.
Pennington did exactly that.

Our recevers do not scare anybody. Pennington changes that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2009 11:03AM by samsam3738.

Date: July 28, 2009 11:07AM

Don't get me wrong we have some receivers that can play and especially ginn has all the speed in the world. Its just that it needs to tranlate
to the field.

What i mean is we do not have that superstar receiver that can scare
DBs. One like lets say fitsgerald or boldin.........We have nobody like that.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: July 28, 2009 04:57PM

Agreed.

In addition we have enough new prospects to provide a tall possession WR.

In the short term Ginn is going to face double teams and lock up with their #1 CB; but, as a big tall WR emerges to move chains on 3rd down, we are going to see teams risk 'man' coverage on Ginn on 3rd and medium situations which could provide some of those big plays!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 29, 2009 05:04AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to say that our receivers are not that
> talented. Pennington makes them better than what
> they are.
>
> Like that saying.......you can't make chicken
> salad out of chicken $H!T.
> Pennington did exactly that.
>
> Our recevers do not scare anybody. Pennington
> changes that.

I will agree that Pennington makes them better. Better than what they would be with a QB like John Beck or Ray Lucas. Isn't it impossible to be better than what they are? If "they" are, aren't they?

They are better because of CP's leadership and the fact that he may make them work and study harder. The WR's still have to run the routes and get open so it is their talent on display.

Of course it is easier for a WR to catch a ball if it is thrown perfectly but Chad is not perfect nor are all of his throws. I saw many great catches last year (especially by Ginn) that were under or overthrown and you can't tell me that Chad did that on purpose to throw away from the CB or put it where only Ginn could catch it.

You are talking about a group of VERY young and inexperienced receivers.

in 2008....
Camarillo: first year as a starter
Bess: rookie
Ginn: 2nd year
London: practice squad

So you are right. Nobody was scared of these guys for the most part but I have to think that at least a few CB's in Buffalo were pretty scared of Ted Ginn last year after his 175 yard performance.

And maybe a few CB's in Denver were a little leary the following week because they rolled all their coverage to Ted Ginn (3/38 yds) while Greg Camarillo grabbed 11 balls for 111 yards.

So "not that talented" is not accurate if you ask me. You can say they were green or inexperienced but "not talented" is not an accurate depiction.

Wait until this year when Ginn shows his improvement and is able to better utilize his speed or when a couple 5'10 CB's have to cover and tackle 6'5, 225 lb Patrick Turner. Then we will see who is scared.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: July 29, 2009 06:44AM

eesti Wrote:
> So you are right. Nobody was scared of these guys
> for the most part but I have to think that at
> least a few CB's in Buffalo were pretty scared of
> Ted Ginn last year after his 175 yard
> performance.

Ginn did had a spectacular game against buffalo. I think the buffalo DB had some kind of injury though!

Date: July 29, 2009 06:48AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Wait until this year when Ginn shows his
> improvement and is able to better utilize his
> speed or when a couple 5'10 CB's have to cover and
> tackle 6'5, 225 lb Patrick Turner. Then we will
> see who is scared.

I'll be ok with turner turning out to be another oronder gadsgen.

Posted by: willmvg ()
Date: July 29, 2009 08:29AM

The main question with Ginn is he doing what the coaching staff is asking of him? I was at 2 games last year and Ginn was open plenty of times, and he wasn't the first read and the play wasn't for him. He was asked to draw coverage down field so the underneath was open. And he did that well. He avoided the big hit, which is a smart thing, just ask Steve Smith or Marvin Harrison!!!

He is still growing into the position, and will be very good when the time is right and the coaching staff asks him to do more things. Most likely will be when Henne is throwing the ball!!!

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: July 29, 2009 09:02AM

He shall make it, or i BREAK my size 13 up his arse!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.