Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Reassured Wildcat. im sorry about lack of punctuation.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reassured Wildcat. im sorry about lack of punctuation.
Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: July 24, 2009 11:59AM

Poll
Do you feel the wildcat is going to revolutionize the NFL?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
16 votes were received.
OHHHHHHH yeah! 8

50%
LMAO just a gimick! 8

50%

As i look at what miami has i cannot help but find myself excited about the wildcat. The wildcat is a single wing back formation, one which DOMINATED college football way before Pro ball was worth anything. With Pat white a guy who im tired of people saying is too small, you have jones drew at what 5/9? anyways, who can throw learning from the best when it comes to accuracy. My point is last year the way to shut down a 90 percent run wildcat formation is stack 8 in the box, i think we can all agree on that, EVEN then its still hard to defend. Pat white brings a great runner, decent passer, to a already great running team. When you stack 8 in the box to defend agaisnt the wildcat run, you leave 3 one on one matchups with our wr's smiling smiley if you know anything about football that is A BAD IDEA!!!!! because NO help when a cb or safty gets burn resulting in LONG bomb td's, so teams will send over one or two more players to double up, leaving 6 or 7 in the box, opening up a running lane or two, resulting in a 5 yard plus gain just about ever time.What im getting at is all you pat white and wildcat neysayers, explain to me HOW to defend agaisnt that? YOU CANT which is why the WILDCAT is going to REVOLUTIONIZE the standard offense in NFL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 12:01PM by MiamiThunder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reassured Wildcat. im sorry about lack of punctuation.
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 12:35PM

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: July 24, 2009 03:57PM

Can someone please explain to me (REALLY EXPLAIN TO ME) what the wildcat really is? I don't understand this "throwing threat" that Pat White supposedly brings.

So what you're telling me is that we put a QB (who apparently can run fairly well; though untested against NFL-speed defenses) behind center. And then here's the kicker.....he can either throw it, or...(still with me?)...he can run it!!! How is this any different from any other potential running threat QB ala Vince Young. How is this wildcat with White behind center any different than the offensive options that Mike Vick had his entire career. He would either run it or throw it.

Is the fact that Jake Long scurries over the the right side the only difference? Because to me, it seems like the way we seem to be getting ready to use the Wildcat this season is by playing a traditional balanced running/throwing offense most of the time, and for a few plays a game, pretending we're the 2004 Falcons with Michael Vick at the helm. People talk about what Vick might do when he returns to the NFL. People bring up his potential as a player who can take the helm at the Wildcat position. Wouldn't that just be Michael Vick playing exactly the same way he always has his entire career, only playing strictly out of the shotgun?

Date: July 24, 2009 05:10PM

Date: July 24, 2009 05:14PM

Well Pantz, whats a offense? i mean how basic do you want to go, you have 11 guys lined up to go 4 downs to keep going twards one end of the field designated "END ZONE" to score 6 points? a formation is a formation? the term traditional offense, is kinda out there, because each play is different, the set up of how to exicute the play makes the play known as a set. Offensive sets, shotgun, I formation,Goal line, Wing back, i mean wildcat is just a single wing back. what makes it different, is the ability to utilize the quaterback as the 11th player, meaning to line up the qb, unlike the traditional offense where the qb takes the ball, the defense's just line to 10 players taking "granted if your will" the qb.We line up the qb as a wr in the wildcat, making the defense account for the QB. thats realy about it. and im just scratching the surface. I dont know much about it but thats all i know? and why is it going to be better with pat white is that pat white is used to lining up in a spread offense, so he will be comfortable, not to mention he is REALY FAST, and great at running MUCH better than vince young. Pat white can line up behind center like brown, or line up where pennington did, or be like ricky and go into motion to take snap from brown, making defense's go OH SHIT!! because he can throw it, or keep it in motion. lol it makes every defensive player stop and say oh shit now what, and that split second could become the gamechanger, which is what makes it special!

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: July 24, 2009 05:52PM

Thanks. That's a pretty detailed explanation of the Wildcat. While I understand it much better, it seems that someone like Mike Vick created this type of mismatch every time the Falcons offense took the field. Instead of 11 on 10, because he was a threat himself, defenses would often times have to designate one of their linebackers as his personal shadow, effectively freeing the offense up to take advantage of a defense with one less defender simply because of Vick's presence.

It accomplishes the same mismatch that the Wildcat does but in a slightly different way. Instead of a CB or Safety being wasted by having to cover someone like Pennington lined up as a WR, a linebacker would most likely be wasted in Vick's situation, mirroring his movements instead of focusing on the secondary which Vick would have an easier time exploiting if that linebacker committed to him at the slightest fake towards running.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: July 24, 2009 06:20PM

It's not just a gimmick, but it's not revolutionary either. Consider the 46 defense, run-and-shoot, west-coast offense, etc., etc. It's definitely innovative, but it's not going to replace the standard offensive set.

Date: July 24, 2009 06:59PM

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: July 25, 2009 05:20AM

From what I understand, the unbalanced line was used so that teams could effectively run the ball, period. I read that one high school coach who didn't have much wr talent decided to go full hog with the unbalanced line and ended up winning a championship just by running the ball on every play.

A similar deal happened with us, from what I recall. We had no wr's, ronnie was good but was getting stuffed every time, and we couldn't crank the running game up. So unbalancing the line and getting Jake over to the right, and a tight end over there, and running not waiting for a QB but taking the snap and going - allowed to to make incredible yardage. But then D's figured it out and we had to scale it back.

As far as mixing in the pass - that's where it muddles up for me too, Panteraize.

I know with White we can pass a lot better, exploit those open spots down the field. But don't you think Defenses will also know he'll throw? And if he runs instead, he'll certainly be shiftier than Ronnie but certainly not as strong and he'll be taking some massive hits.

I think that with White in the mix it does put a pass threat in there and we'll get yardage, but will it produce breakway plays? The thing is, if a team is really, really solid with a great QB and great WR's, a decent RB and a decent line, they'll get yardage too! Only maybe a team like that will manage plays that would break a defense and get 30 or 40 yards on one play.

I think for a team like us it's good, because we don't have playmakers. It's another option for us.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: July 25, 2009 05:48AM

Thunder are you the Stunner?

Posted by: opus ()
Date: July 25, 2009 06:29AM

The thing with White is, if you put him on the field with Pennington you have 2 different guys that can make a fairly accurate throw on the field at the same time. Ronnie really tried to, but I have to believe that White is the more accurate of the two, though Ronnie is the better runner by a mile or two. Even if we put Pennington on the sideline and have Ronnie and Pat White out there, you still have two guys that can throw. This just causes all sorts of issues for the defense. In my eyes, Ronnies ability to contribute in the wildcat last year, and being able to last the whole year on the field, finally made him worthy of his first round draft status.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 25, 2009 01:08PM

Date: July 25, 2009 01:12PM

Date: July 25, 2009 01:48PM

So it seams. My apologies Opus.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: opus ()
Date: July 25, 2009 03:11PM

Its cool eesti !!

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: July 26, 2009 07:47AM

Take out the NEW ENGLAND game where we caught them off guard with it...... and the numbers and stats the Wildcat produced wasn't that impressive.

will White change that? Maybe, HOPEFULLY. But I think it might be a fad that will burn out quick around the league.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: July 27, 2009 11:41AM

Nice job on laying out the wildcat options (to phinsfan2 and all).

In addition one aspect specifically to attribute to White's role is that of disguise and lulling the defense via implementation of the base offense.

If White is effective in the wildcat set and can also execute the base offense, defenses will have much more trouble "peaking for a few wilcat plays per game"

By that I mean that the defense will have more trouble identifying wildcat, and thus susceptible to getting beat by the wilcat, and then again by the base offense.

- All this is on the proviso that White can run a series or two of base offense nearly or as smoothly as pennington does.
- When respecting the Wilcat the matchups favor a straight running game better.
- When they over commit to the running game, you stop and heave a long one into a 1 on 1 advantaged matchup.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: July 27, 2009 06:35PM

Prediction: White will throw at least 3 over-50-yard TDs from the Wildcat formation this coming season. Teddy Ginn will be on the receiving side of at least 2 of those.

Posted by: JRyder7 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 02:28PM

Date: July 28, 2009 03:47PM

I live IN WV!!! 2 hours from morgantown!!!

Date: July 28, 2009 04:14PM

Minnesota is supposed to run the WC with Percy Harvin.

.....................................................................................

Date: July 28, 2009 06:09PM

Lol every team is going to try it, but i highly dought its going to be effictive.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 29, 2009 06:16AM

MiamiThunder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lol every team is going to try it, but i highly
> dought its going to be effictive.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

There is only one Pat White to go around you know smiling smiley

Date: August 06, 2009 08:24AM

MiaminumberoneThunderStunnerNamechanger

Your boy, White is not looking too good. he better get his shite together if he's going to get on the field this year.

He still has to beat Ronnie Brown out for the Wildcat according to Sporano.

He is not throwing the ball well at all. If he can't throw then he won't be on the field because he is not going to run and hold up as well as Ronnie at 235 lbs.

I hope he picks it up in the next few weeks.

Date: August 06, 2009 08:27AM

How many training days we into? White will be just fine! Yeah White is not the best passer in the game, but with pennington to help mentor, im not fearing at all. Just sit back and enjoy the wins baby!

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 09, 2009 03:12AM

All 4 preseason opponents we play we also play in the regular season.

If we run 2 or 3 wildcat plays in the preseason I will be surprised. And Pat White won't run any of them.

Date: August 09, 2009 08:24AM

Yeah, I bet they keep the pat package pretty hush hush until it matters.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 09, 2009 12:37PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, I bet they keep the pat package pretty hush
> hush until it matters.

They always go vanilla in pre season then implement the main plays when practices are closed to the public. Its always like that.

Date: August 10, 2009 07:39AM

Its hot and sexy!!!! Here is somthing to chew on, what if, not sure its possible, but they had all 3 qbs in the game on the same play, if they listed white as a wr or fb or somthing that game!!! THAT WOULD OWN!!

Date: August 10, 2009 07:58AM

Practice is closed to the pulic today so you know they are working on new wrinkles for the Wildcat.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.