HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Back to 4-3?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Back to 4-3?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2009 05:38PM

Here's a question I've been pondering...

Looking at the Dolphins personnel we are much more suited for a 4-3. We really are down to one starting 3-4 NT, but a whole bunch of backup NTs that can play in a 4-3. We've got only one quality MLB (Crowder) but a few quality OLBs including Porter and Roth. JT would be at his natural position and Wake can just T off. I don't know about you, but it seems to make a whole lot more sense than any alignment I can think of in a 3-4.

Starting Front 7 in a 4-3

LBs: Porter(W), Crowder, Roth(S)
DE: JT, Cam Wake
LT: Fuguson, Starks

I believe this puts our best 7 defenders on the field at once. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Back to 4-3?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: July 16, 2009 02:11AM

Maybe, but JT has admitted he's not an every down player anymore, and Wake hasn't quite earned a starting position. Still, this is definitely an option (even though it takes Merling and Langford off the field).

I could see this as a flex alignment. There was talk in the offseason of moving Roth to ILB. If you do that, you could start these players (above) and shift from 4-3 to 3-4, particularly with JT who's played both (DE and OLB respectively).

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 16, 2009 03:39AM

No Merling, Lankford????????????????

Date: July 16, 2009 04:58AM

Problem with Merling and Lankford, size-wise they're prototypical DEs in a 3-4. They may be too slow to play DE in a 4-3 and not big enough to play DT. Wake played DE in a 4-3 in the CFL, and that's the position JT made his living at. This alignment would allow us to get Porter and JT on the field together in their optimal positions (Porter at OLB, JT at DE).

So, I could see this as a optional alignment, but I DO still think we'll play a 3-4 with Merling and Lankford starting. The big question is who will play the SOLB position (Roth? JT? Wake?).

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 16, 2009 06:03AM

I think we would be regressing if we reverted back to a 4-3. The FO has a plan and it is to BUILD a dominant 3-4 defense. It doesn't happen overnight and there are still some holes to fill. That's not to say that we won't use some 4-3 looks because I know they have practiced that in a nickle formation.

Last year was the first year for this particular scheme and we finished 15th in the league. We should make the jump into the top ten or better so why mess with it just because we don't have a proven backup NT?

Soliai will either make the jump and show he can start or he won't. We have two other young guys behind him for competition and we will probably add a NT next year in the draft or FA (Wilfork) or we could add one after roster cut downs this year.

I don't see Wake as a run stuffing Strong side 4-3 DE. I think his future is on the weak side as a weak or strong 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. He has to prove he can make the transition first. He hasn't even made one tackle yet. He's got some pretty good players in front of him...Porter, Taylor & Roth.

I also don't see Roth as a 4-3 strong side LB'er. He is starting to find a niche for himself at SOLB so why make yet another switch?

Porter has played his entire career as an OLB in a 3-4 and he is going to switch to 4-3 Will in his 11th year at 32 years old? He is a pass rusher and 4-3 LB'ers don't rush the QB that much.

As far as putting our best 7 on the field...we haven't even gotten to training camp yet so who they are remains to be seen. Merling and Langford should be better this year and will compete with Starks and McDaniel. Too many unanswered questions at this point to say who is the best or who will be the best come September 13th.

We definitely still could use some improvement and depth at ILB and NT but I don't see the FO changing schemes at this point. We just better pray that Fergy stays healthy and if he misses a few games Soliai better get his stuff together.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: July 16, 2009 07:25PM

Date: July 16, 2009 07:34PM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: July 16, 2009 10:23PM

I'm with eesti on this. Nothing needs to be added to his argument.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 10:24PM by Jonathan Twilley.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: July 17, 2009 04:26AM

Stick with the 3-4 and upgrade the need position(s).

1. 3-4 makes for a much better defense when you have effective coverage
2. yes we need a NT backup, but all NTs will look better with better pass rush and coverage.
3. This 3-4 is only going to get better

Date: July 17, 2009 04:39AM

I too like the idea of sticking with a 3-4, but the NT position is probably the most difficult position to fill on any team. If the NT breaks down, the entire defense is exposed. It's tough to rely on one guy like that. Hopefully Soliai surprises us.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: July 18, 2009 05:24AM

I think Soliai is going to be a fine NT. He certainly has the size and athleticism. I remember Kiper and some others really liked him coming out of college. Considering there have been some issues and the Trifecta has stuck with him shows that he has a major upside. Players say there is nobody harder to move so it is probably just a matter of him improving his technique and knowledge. We will know more with this being his third year.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 18, 2009 07:42AM

ghotirule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also don't see Roth as a 4-3 strong side LB'er.
> He is starting to find a niche for himself at SOLB
> so why make yet another switch?
>
> Why not? It is an easier position in 4-3 than
> 3-4. He clearly has the skills to handle the TE.

I just can't think of any 6'4 278 lb 4-3 Linebackers. I think he probably could play the position bit I just think his size would be better utilized somewhere else.

Typically in coverage he breaks off after 15 yards and lets the SS take over but he will face some TE's that can do some serious damage in those first 15 yards. In our first 3 weeks he has to deal with Tony Gonzales, Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates. Yikes!

He got 5 sacks last year while playing with a severe groin problem and we all know that he was still learning the position. How much better is he going to be this year with a years experience and healthy??? The addition of Wake and JT may hamper his pass rushing opportunities this year but I am curious to see his improvement.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 07:45AM by eesti.

Date: July 18, 2009 08:19AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.