HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          RIP Dick Butkus
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
RIP Dick Butkus
Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 05, 2023 04:42PM

I just heard that Dick Butkus died. Legendary player for the Chicago Bears. I actually got to see him play against the Phins once. It was an uneventful game for the bears (we beat the soundly) but it was also a bit of history to witness I suppose.

Butkus played fiercely. He was a beast. Unfortunately for him, Chicago never posted a winning record when he was playing (I'm pretty sure of that without looking it up). You wouldn't know that from his intensity of play, however. Chicago native proudly playing for his home team. His career was cut short by injuries, but he then went on to star in quite a few movies and beer commercials.

RIP Mr Butkus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RIP Dick Butkus
Date: October 06, 2023 04:40AM

Old 51. They don't make em like that anymore. Kids these days don't get men like Dick Butkus. They would call him an "excess of Toxic Masculinity. " Nope. I watched some of his highlight reels. Crushing tackles that would get him flagged for unnecessary roughness in today's game. One of the best ever.RIP.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 06, 2023 04:21PM

He really was a 'don't make 'em like that anymore' player and human being.

Married his high school sweetheart. Played in the town he grew up in for the team he grew up rooting for. Passed up offers from other teams for the home town discount. Despite his team never being a contender during his stint in Chicago, he played lights-out every game.

Career cut short by injuries (only 7 or 8 years) he had another career afterwards in acting, sometimes alongside Bubba Smith. We're not talking Shakespearean theater here--some goofy miller lite commercials, some cornball movies, etc but he kept busy. Must have done well for himself after football too, because the fact that the news of his death came from his home in Malibu, means he was able to afford a home in Malibu. What a career and life. RIP.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 07, 2023 05:58AM

That was back in the day when the Bud Light commercials were really really good. There was one where Butkus and Bubba Smith were going to a fancy restaurant and trying to act sophisticated;
"What are you going to order Bubba"?
"I think I'll have the Soup du Jour".
"Yeah, it MUST be really good, they serve it every day".

And then there was the Superbowl halftime skit with the Wayan brothers playing the part of the two football loving girlie men salivating over the thought of Dick Butkus and Bob Greasy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2023 10:58AM by Hooligan2.

Date: October 07, 2023 08:14AM

I think they were Miller Lite and not Bud Light. Not that it really matters....I love a good TV commercial in general, but I don't drink either of those, or any national brands.

Support your local independent brewery, fellas!!

OH and does anybody remember the "Where's the Beef" commercial series with the older lady? I just remembered that I think she did a commercial with Butkus and I think she said "what kind of name is But-kiss anyway?" right to his face. cool smiley

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 11, 2023 04:36AM

Butkus was one helluva player. He was an inspirational tough guy with an obvious sense of humor (Miller Light commercials).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.