HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jonathan Taylor?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jonathan Taylor?
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 21, 2023 05:22PM

Can we afford him? A premier back but backs careers can end quickly

Cedric Wilson , Ogbah and Jeff Wilson?

Have to have cap room for Wilkins and Zieler

Bet the Phins make a move for him if they take back Wilson and Ogbah

Bills likely will

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2023 05:26PM by jlyell13.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jonathan Taylor?
Date: August 21, 2023 06:04PM

Wilkins should be a top priority. Send a message to the rest of the team as well that if you play well you will be rewarded.

After that we need to shore up that Oline before we add to other deep positions like RB and reciever.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 23, 2023 09:53AM

During the draft, I wanted the Fins to draft Taylor, but now....not so much. He has the talent, but Miami doesn't have the $s; Wilkins is more of a priority. In my opinion, we have a stable of RBs that can get the job done.

Let someone else spend the big bucks for Taylor. He isn't going to come cheap.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 23, 2023 10:58AM

The entire league has devalued the position, and I don't think we're that much smarter than the other 31 teams :-).

If you look at the AFC's heavyweights: KC's running back...can't even name him off the top of my head. Cincy? Mixon took a pay cut to stay. Buffalo? I'm not sure I even know who their named starter is.

I'm not saying you have to do everything all the heavyweights do...but you better have a pretty good reason to swim that much against the current. I.e. you better be pretty convinced that Taylor's the missing piece for your SB run.

Date: August 23, 2023 12:52PM

Excellent points above. I'd love a top rusher as much as anyone but we have issues elsewhere that need attention.

Again , I saw some highlights from the game on a local station. I'm really happy that we are rid of Flores.....but it really bothers me to see how chummy McDaniels is with players, especially TUA. Guy started off first throw INT.He had 3 the previous day in practice against the Texans.

They shouldn't be laughing. My point is Skylar showed up. He had a great game. White is even better. Can McDaniels make the right call if need be? I'd like him to dial back the friend parent routine and be more of a leader. Start by fixing that Oline. Again.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 24, 2023 05:49AM

Thinking we gave up 2 firsts and a 4th for Ricky Williams? Young, a top 3 back and we don't draft all that great?

Would need to move Cedric and or Ogbah in the deal to swap their cap room for Wilkins signing

Why the NFL devalue young proven players?

A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush and via draft those birds are very elusive

NBA teams give up 3,4,5 firsts for a young, proven commodity

The window is now with Tua cheap. Get it done.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2023 12:43PM by jlyell13.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 24, 2023 07:25AM

The RW trade was in a different era when there was significantly more balance in terms of passing & running in terms of the game's structure. It was a lot to give up then, but those 2 picks were 2002 #25 (DE-Charles Grant) and 2003 #18 (LB-Calvin Pace), and he gave us 3200 yards and 25 TD during those seasons. But the game was different and the value of the RB position was different then.

Obviously we're not going to give up 2 #1's for Taylor, but my understanding is that Indy wants a #1 and possibly more. The reason the NFL devalues young, proven RB players is because the emphasis is on passing and we see that recent SB teams are consistently lining up starting RBs by the names of Tevin Coleman, Damien Williams, Miles Sanders (who did have a career year last year w/PHI...only to not be resigned by them), Isiah Pacheco, Fournette (who was a high pick...but not by the Bucs who paid him $2M for the SB year).

If you think that Taylor is the missing piece and Indy would take Ogbah + our 2nd (would have said 3rd, but we don't have one)...or Wilson in there somehow, etc. and we rent him for 1 yr at his current salary to see if it does pan out, that's something I'd actually consider. But, if the idea is to get him and give him $15-17M/yr and that precludes us from keeping Tua (should he earn it this year)...resigning Wilkins...resigning other blue-chip keepers (Waddle, Holland, Phillips) and not being able to retain the OL folks who have panned out (Williams, Hunt) then I think it would likely be a poor use of resources. I know getting Ogbah & Wilson off the books would help, but I've assumed that would have to happen anyway to retain young, blue-chip talent and valuable starters like Williams & Hunt. I'd actually be open to acquiring him for the year to see if it is the missing piece...but I think his interest is in getting paid 'near top RB salary' now.

You are correct, btw, that:
- he is a young, blue-chip talent
- we haven't drafted RB well over the years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2023 07:26AM by tsstamper.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 24, 2023 12:25PM

IMO, Taylor is not worth what he would be asking for.

I have also read where Miami is going to have a lot of players that are on their final contracts and will be up for more money next season, and that's not including Wilkins or Tua.

Miami has a playoff-caliber team right now; why screw everything up by paying Taylor the big bucks? Besides, all I keep hearing is the RB position is being devalued. If that is the case, why would anyone be willing to pay a RB $17M or more?

Date: August 24, 2023 06:43PM

Rumor Phins are in Indianapolis for JT physical

Date: August 29, 2023 12:26PM

Not now, placed on 4 game PUP. Selling damaged goods?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.