-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I'd really like to know...
I'd really like to know...
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: January 13, 2021 02:44PM

...who was actually responsible for spending our #5 over-all pick on the Tua?

If it was an Owner-influenced pick(I've heard rumors), then there's nothing the GM or HC can do about that...I get it. Don't like it, but I get it.

Or, was it a pick made on talent evaluating and judgement by the GM and his staff?

If it's the latter, then the next question I'm dying to know the answers to is:
In what ways did Tua grade out higher than Herbert during your scouting evaluations, that made you choose him 5th overall instead??

In follow up I'd ask:
During your comparisons of the two QBs, were your eyes open???

I really do hope it was an Owner's pick, in that it wouldn't ruin my faith in our GM's evaluation skills and savvy. I've had my doubts.

Re: I'd really like to know...
Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: January 14, 2021 03:25AM

As one of my ex football coaches said one day when I asked him why coaches do things certain ways, his answer was "Because Coaches are stubborn".

People wanted Tua because he was putting up great numbers...Well so is Jones at Alabama (even better numbers) and they are not on his band wagon. To many people see what they want to see not what is really there. Allen and Herbert they said had low completion percentages...but I maintain you cannot teach a rocket arm. I wanted Allen badly when he came out, but was not around when we picked. I wanted Herbert over Tua for health reasons but we went with Tua. Hopefully he will improve greatly.

I can say I believe that the Dolphins were hurt a lot because of a lack of a preseason. Too many new faces that needed the practice.

I will also say that at the start of the year I was hoping that Houston would miss the playoff and we would get get a pick in the 16-18 range. Well they played themselves into the #3 position. my point is we are playing with house money so to speak so maybe lets parlay this into more picks.

I have played numerous sims of the draft. If I could not trade out of #3 I would take Sewell. I have traded out of the 3 slot a few times and gone all the way to #17 picked up Jamar Chase then took Harris at 18. Also picked up a second rounder this year and a first rounder next year.

Date: January 14, 2021 03:58AM

astro34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As one of my ex football coaches said one day when
> I asked him why coaches do things certain ways,
> his answer was "Because Coaches are stubborn".
>
> People wanted Tua because he was putting up great
> numbers...Well so is Jones at Alabama (even better
> numbers) and they are not on his band wagon. To
> many people see what they want to see not what is
> really there. Allen and Herbert they said had low
> completion percentages...but I maintain you cannot
> teach a rocket arm. I wanted Allen badly when he
> came out, but was not around when we picked. I
> wanted Herbert over Tua for health reasons but we
> went with Tua. Hopefully he will improve greatly.
>
>
> I can say I believe that the Dolphins were hurt a
> lot because of a lack of a preseason. Too many new
> faces that needed the practice.
>
> I will also say that at the start of the year I
> was hoping that Houston would miss the playoff and
> we would get get a pick in the 16-18 range. Well
> they played themselves into the #3 position. my
> point is we are playing with house money so to
> speak so maybe lets parlay this into more picks.
>
> I have played numerous sims of the draft. If I
> could not trade out of #3 I would take Sewell. I
> have traded out of the 3 slot a few times and gone
> all the way to #17 picked up Jamar Chase then took
> Harris at 18. Also picked up a second rounder
> this year and a first rounder next year.

Excellent post. I dont think TUA is that bad at all. No preseason, he came in cold mid season. Lots of injuries , Dismal running game and dropped balls. He still made some great throws to Giesicki and Parker. Give him a solid off season with a New OC and a bunch of new talent. We will see what hes made of. Just as people were claiming Tannehills draft class was the best ever with Young/ Luck

and 3 yrs ago with Josh Allen and Watson......this years with Lawrence and Fields......Guess what? There will be another and another and another after that. Lets see How our investment in TUA develops before we jump the gun.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 15, 2021 07:30AM

I remain convinced that Ross was heavily involved in picking Tua and, therein lies the danger that Flores' future with the Dolphins could be tied to Tua's success or failure.

Flores has shown no hesitation in benching Tua and sending in Fitz to try and save the game. The message is clear, Yes we probably could have made it to the play-offs if we had played the better QB instead of the rookie to see what he's got but, hey that's Dolphin football.

Now, Tua has been named the starter without any competition largely based on his performance in the 4th quarter of the Arizona game,, another non playoff team despite, stinking up the field in a must win game at Buffalo. Seriously? He gets no competition?

That doesn't sound like Flores, the coach that said he would play those that gave us the best chance to win and, if it is his decision then I'm disappointed.
Now, there are rumors of grumblings in the locker room. The culture and the chemistry hang by a thread.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 15, 2021 10:26AM

If Fitz didn't have COVID I have no doubt that Tua would have been benched yet again. I agree with Hooligan2 that Ross heavily influenced picking Tua. He was out of football for quite a long time after his injury, and it's pretty foolish to think he could just enter the NFL and pick up where he left off while he was hot in college throwing to receivers who have more separation than in the NFL. Becoming an instant superstar in the NFL isn't easy especially in his situation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.