-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Draft QB (No Tannehil posts!)
Draft QB (No Tannehil posts!)
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 31, 2020 05:15AM

Say The phins don't move up and Burrow and Tua are gone by 3, who is your guy? build your case

Herbert or Love at 5?

Pray for one at 18?

Jalen Hurts. Tremendous multi dimensional weapon like no other in the draft, this years Lamar or Vince Young?

3800 Yds
32 Td
21 Int
70% completion
1300 rushing yds 20 Td's

Jake Fromm?

Anthony Gordon? Dude's a gunslinger, put up Burrow like #'s
48 TD 16 INT 5600 Yds 71% completion close to 700 attempts!
Quick accurate release. reads the field as good as any in the draft. Threw like 9 TDS against UCLA
The Brady/Wilson sleeper of the draft?
Watch Dez Patmon in his tape!

Josh Rosen?

Personally I am not sure Herbert or Love give us more than Hurts or Gordon and would allow us to take the best OL or Simmons at 5 or drop down maybe with Raiders for 12 & 18, Jags 9 & 20?, or niners 13 & 31 and have 6 of the top 56 picks

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 05:54AM by jlyell13.

Re: Draft QB (No Tannehil posts!)
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 31, 2020 05:49AM

Neither of them are worth the 5th pick. I'd take simmons at 5 and then take love at 18. If they feel the need to move up then move from 18 to 11 to get love.

Fromm and Hurts are 3rd round projects at best.

Aside from Burrow and Tua, Love has the most upside of any of the remaining QBs. He can sit and learn for a year behind Fitz. Then they have 4 picks again in the first 2 rounds to round out the roster.

Date: March 31, 2020 06:05AM

JSM08 how do you support your Love upside comment? He took a major step back this year while Hurts and Gordon lit it up, Fromm was OK . Many also any put a major ? on Tua with the injury and I heard teams may not get to check him out medically

if someone is moving up with us it may be to take Love

IMO we cant let our guy go to the Pats at 23

Russell Wilson was a third rounder

I am not sure a # 5 is worth a defensive player like Simmons, we can get Murray, Dugger, Chinn or other similar later, and if we made the trade we could come out with 2 of the top OL in the first round ad one later and our OL could be pretty dominant (if they pan out and aren't Jonathan Martins! smiling smiley)

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: March 31, 2020 07:25AM

I just heard on ESPN that Tua has been hurt every year including his high school years. He has never completed a season without an injury for that reason alone Tua is a no go period.

Date: March 31, 2020 07:36AM

cedaphins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just heard on ESPN that Tua has been hurt every
> year including his high school years. He has never
> completed a season without an injury for that
> reason alone Tua is a no go period.

Either that or buy alot of band aids.

Love has that quick read mentality seen with Patrick Mahomes, Dan Marino. You cant teach that. His bad play last season is being attributed to his whole offense not playing well. But yes that is concerning and the reason I place him at a better suited #18 then a 5. Hes got potential but is not ready by a longshot. None of these QBs are except for Burrows.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:51AM

And since WE ALL KNOW THAT Cincy will draft Burrows.....the bottom line meaning of the prior post is that we do NOT draft any QB at all with our first pick.

Criminals are really dumb most when they think they are being smart.

Date: March 31, 2020 12:13PM

The only thing we ALL KNOW is that you picked undrafted Tyree Jackson as the #1 overall prospect only to go undrafted.

Headline in the Miami Herald today:

Report: Dolphins plan to attempt trade up to draft Joe Burrow.

he Miami Dolphins are reportedly not just looking to make a big splash in free agency. We now formally have reason to believe that the Dolphins are going to try to make a big splash in the 2020 NFL Draft, as well. The biggest of splashes, for that matter. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald is doubling down on a prior report that the Miami Dolphins will look to package their draft picks together and trade up to the first overall selection. The object of their obsession?

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Joe Burrow.

Go BIG or go home. Blake Barnet out of South Florida is projected as a 7th rounder........is that who you want at #5 now? grinning smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 31, 2020 12:22PM

I'm rolling on the floor and laughing my ass off.

THANKS A BILLION FOR THE LINK!!!!!

Living out here in California, I didn't know this!

I wouldn't have done it because I think that Simmons, Fromm, etc. are good enough at 5.

I would even have drafted Tua at 5 before packaging all of our picks and selling them to grab Burrows at number 1.

But how do YOU feel about it??????????????????

You're the guy who didn't even want to draft a QB at 5, so I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE that you are sitting back chilling at hearing us giving away our number 5 pick to draft Burrow instead of just not paying that high price and just getting Simmons or Fromm at 5.

LOL.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 31, 2020 01:29PM

I suppose if this happens we give the rest of our first of our first rounders this year and next year. Which would be too much. I hope it doesnt happen.

Thats 4 chances of fnding a great player to one.

Im sure the redskins would say if you do it you will regret it.

Id say its 50-50 chance but i wouldnt risk it.

Date: March 31, 2020 01:43PM

No way we should trade UP in my opinion, Sam.

Date: March 31, 2020 02:12PM

We can definetely stay put at 5 and pick the qb who they think is the best after burrows. Except tua i hope.

Whoever they pick
I hope turns out great.

Date: March 31, 2020 02:29PM

Herbert At 5
Love At 18
Hurts or fromm at 20 plus

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 02:34PM by samsam3738.

Date: March 31, 2020 02:37PM

Like I said many times about Tua. If it was just a broken bone on the hip, I would say, let's go ahead.

But it is not a broken PART OF THE HIP.

It is a BROKEN HIP SOCKET.

That's a horse of a different color.

Date: March 31, 2020 02:48PM

We have no control on who they pick and i hope whoever they pick turns out the best..

But i have a feeling if they pick tua they are going to regret it for a while. I cringe when i think they might trade up to number 3 for tua. That would be even worse than giving 5 or 6 picks to trade up for burrows.

Date: March 31, 2020 02:58PM

5-Herbert QB
18 Simmons LB
20 plus Ettiene RB

Might be too much to ask for

Maybe herbert will drop and so would ettiene

Maybe we can get ettiene in the second round

Date: March 31, 2020 02:58PM

I doubt simmons will drop too much though.

Date: March 31, 2020 03:08PM

I cant believe some mock drafts have us taking a safety and corner with both second round picks when we need OLine help so much. DUMB.

Our DBs and safety is probably the strongest position on this team

NEEDS

Mainly QB
OL
LB
DT
RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 03:11PM by samsam3738.

Date: March 31, 2020 03:22PM

I think that giving picks away to move up for Burrows is stupid.

But I believe that picking Tua is outright insane. It's not just a chip on the hip. The whole hip socket is damaged.

Date: March 31, 2020 06:04PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> I cant believe some mock drafts have us taking a
> safety and corner with both second round picks
> when we need OLine help so much. DUMB.
>
I agree 100% . But these mock drafts are just that. They rarely get it right.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 01, 2020 01:04AM

jlyell, love had a new coach and coordinator and 9 new offensive players in 19. He has the arm and ability to create plays. His skill set is comparable to Mahomes. Herbert is Rosen.

Hurts is a one read QB and then eyes down and running. I really don't look at his stats. He played at oklahoma. Most QBs there have great stats.

Never once heard of Gordon throughout the season. If he had good workouts in shorts and that suddenly put him in the conversation? No thanks.

Marino sucked his senior year too. There's more to picking your QB than stats.

Just my opinion of course. Who know how this will shake out.

At 5 I want someone that will be an impact player. Simmons fits that bill.

Date: April 01, 2020 01:06AM

Heck, I still hold out hope for Rosen. I've read one of the reason we fired our OC is because he wasn't developing him well enough. I'd love to see him beat out Fitz next year.

That's what I envision with Herbert. I don't think you use the 5th overall pick on a project like that.

Date: April 01, 2020 02:19AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Heck, I still hold out hope for Rosen. I've read
> one of the reason we fired our OC is because he
> wasn't developing him well enough. I'd love to see
> him beat out Fitz next year.
>
> That's what I envision with Herbert. I don't
> think you use the 5th overall pick on a project
> like that.

thumbs up great post. My sentiments exactly. Especially on Rosen. He can really be a find if given the right tools.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 01, 2020 02:24AM

From my perspective, what they've done so far this offseason has been relatively predictable (again, relatively, given how unpredictable things can be in NFL FA). I think I've tried to look at it through the lens of what they might do if they were trying to build using the Patriots as the model. Given that, I think they'll prioritize taking a chance on greatness over the perceived safety of more traditional QB prospect assessment metrics.

Seemingly, if Brady represents QB greatness the Pats way, then the floor for physical attributes is simply an ability to make all necessary throws. For things that are part mental/part physical, I think accuracy and mobility in the pocket are (in their minds) FAR more important than an ability to throw a rocket or change arm angle or be a constant run threat a la Jackson in BAL. After that, I think they put the most importance on "head and heart", things like leadership, competitiveness, work ethic, ability to process complex information on the fly. This is my guess for how they're weighing these things relative to one another.

If this is true, then I think they're more likely to take a chance on greatness according to the above definition than to deviate from the definition and take a QB that may appear to others to be more ideal. To put legs to this, I think they're more likely to make a move to get a Burrow or Tua than they are to take a Love or Herbert somewhere in the 1st round. I think they'll value winning, leadership, ability to put the ball in the right place at the right time over "wow" throws but spotty accuracy and personality makeup that doesn't seem to lift the team's overall performance. In 2014, NE took Jimmy G as the 62nd overall pick and 5th QB out of 14 selected that year. I don't think they regret not making a move to take Bortles and Belicheck mourned losing him when they did...fast forward and he was a starting SB QB.

Obviously, there are limits to what they'll be willing to do in order to take the chance on greatness. And, there's also the notion of what coaches think they can coach "into" and "out of" a player. And, specific to the Phins, I do think there's an element of "we let medical scare us out of Brees and that may be the single most devastating decision we've made in the past 20 years" that is part of their collective phsyche.

The Pats had the incredibly good fortune of landing Brady in the 6th round, so they weren't in a position to pick high in the 1st, nor did they have a pressing need to get a franchise QB...but they applied their principle nonetheless. I don't know exactly what we'll do (obviously), but I think the Phins will take a chance on greatness as they define it vs. playing it safe or taking a chance on greatness as others may define it. And, that may actually end up being taking someone like Simmons @ 5 and their QB later vs. Tua or Burrow near the top of the draft.

Date: April 01, 2020 07:01AM

Multiple reports have the phins going after Burrow

samsam3738 posted

5-Herbert QB
18 Simmons LB
20 plus Ettiene RB

Simmons gone top 10. could be top 4

Etienne dropped out , so IMO we need 2 of

Swift, Taylor, Dobbins Akers

AJ Dillon, Zack Moss, Eno Benjamin, Josh Kelly, Darrynton Evans , Clyde Edwards Helaire

Date: April 01, 2020 10:56AM

I be happy with simmons at 5 and love at 18.

Btw nobody knows whos going where. This is just speculation.

Date: April 01, 2020 12:21PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> I be happy with simmons at 5 and love at 18.
>
> Btw nobody knows whos going where. This is just
> speculation.

That would make our team instantly better. This whole virus thing is also taking its toll on the draft because all of the closer looks and workouts of these players have been canceled.

I think that hurts TUA the most. Hes got the biggest questions. We know at this point who everyone else is.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: April 01, 2020 12:40PM

jlyell13:

"Anthony Gordon? Dude's a gunslinger, put up Burrow like #'s
48 TD 16 INT 5600 Yds 71% completion close to 700 attempts!
Quick accurate release. reads the field as good as any in the draft. Threw like 9 TDS against UCLA
The Brady/Wilson sleeper of the draft?
Watch Dez Patmon in his tape!"

I like this kid he has some moxie, something about him reminds me of Garropolo. He could sit a year and bulk up plus he won't break the bank. He's below the radar and I like that, definitely sleeper material IMO. I won't be surprised if NE snags him if everyone else passes on him, just like they did with Jimmy G.

Posted by: AFCbeast ()
Date: April 01, 2020 02:53PM

And that is my biggest fear also...having another team, especially a division opponent... grab him before us. After Burrows I do not want to see anybody else but A.G. in Aqua & Orange. I am all in as stated earlier.

Date: April 02, 2020 01:18AM

When are you guys suggesting we select Gordon?

Date: April 02, 2020 01:51AM

You cant pick a player because your afraid another team might pick them. Ever. You pick who fits your schemes, who you believe in.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.