Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Training Camp
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 11, 2019 09:15PM

Poll
Do you think this player would help us?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
15 votes were received.
Yes 2
 
13%
No 13
 
87%
Other (?) 0
 
0%



I keep hearing that Kyler Murray "is linked to the Dolphins at 13" in the draft. The idea that we need a QB that is 5'9', or possibly 5'10', is kind of silly. I have also heard that he is "slightly built" from experienced pro football writers like Mike Florio and Jeff Darlington. In last year's draft, it was controversial that Baker Mayfield was "only" 6 feet tall, though heavily built, and this year we are expected by many people around the league to be hot for a 5'9", or at best, a 5'10" "slightly built" QB?!? I don't care how talented the kid is, those statistics point inexorably to a player that probably won't be spending much time on the field due to injury. In my opinion, this would be a terrible idea. I think this team should concentrate on building the lines to protect a QB to be named later.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 11, 2019 10:07PM

Last year was one of those, once in a lifetime drafts for QBs. All were snatched before we got to pick. No point in trying to pick this year thinking that we would be able to make up for not having a chance to pick last year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 11, 2019 11:52PM

But I'll yield the floor to Tanny's boyfriend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: February 12, 2019 01:07AM

Height alone does not make a person tough or talented. Many things go into being a good NFL football player, for instance, having an unbelievable will to succeed. Yet, because of the size of surrounding players and the violence that occurs on plays, it is far too easy for a smaller player to be injured. Murray is a wonderful collegiate athlete ...yet he will be at great risk if picked up by the Dolphins to be their QB. I vote No for Murray.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 04:16AM

I was against Murray but am quickly changing my mind. I think he has the best arm in the draft. I like him better than Tagovailoa(sp?) (but not better than the kid from Oregon). I would draft him if he is there at 13 but not trade up. Then I would still draft a qb in rnd 1 in 2019.

I learned my lesson on qb height w/ Wilson in 2012. I really thought he was the best qb in that draft but would not touch him if I were a GM because he was 5'10". That guy was successful at NC ST (2010, 9-4 #25 ranking) then went to Wisconsin and took them to a top 10 ranking and to the rose bowl. Don't think I ever saw a qb do that. It was there nfl folks saw the talent but were blinded by his height.

I think Murray is like that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 12:10PM

We need to tank this year..no qb in draft please.but tannehills boyfriend would probably say we need to draft one this year just to go against what we say

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 12, 2019 12:11PM

When you say you would still draft a QB in 2019 do you mean whether we are able to get Murray or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 12:38PM

Ol ol ol receiver lb dts dends

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 12, 2019 01:32PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you say you would still draft a QB in 2019 do
> you mean whether we are able to get Murray or not?

******************************************************

You aren't asking me, but to answer your question, yes, I would draft a QB in 2020 although I just drafted Murray in 2019. Now, that comes with a caveat....one of the top 3 QBs has to be there when Miami picks, otherwise I would not do so. And....another caveat...if Murray was playing during the 2019 season, and he wasn't lighting a fire under me, then I would be forced to draft another QB in 2020 anyway.

Now, if Murray was playing well, but Miami was still picking high (which will probably be the case), then I would draft one of the top 3 QBs available to me in 2020, and see what I could get for Murray.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: February 12, 2019 01:39PM

stop the Murray talk please lol, for gods sake i know we need a qb without a doubt, but we need a line first and foremost, we need a nose tackle, we need a lb and a cb and we may need a shit ton of players if the phins are smart and trade and cut players. We cannot waste the 13th pick on Murray, not in this draft. I have no idea what people will think of this but i think we should get a later round qb, namely Mcsorley from PSU> The guy has it, has balls an arm an arrogance a complete will to win. He doesn't hesitate to get in wr face if they drop a ball, and he isn't afraid to tell you to kiss his ass either. Get the kid late round and see what he does, you may finally get a qb that can lift the team. Also was the qb that threw to gisecki. Just a thought here. First things first, gotta find out what this team is going to do with existing players or everything else is a mute point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 01:49PM

Oh no............Fiedlerhater AKA the messanger of death is back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 04:48PM

I agree. At this point, I'm don't have any idea how I would handle the situation other than drafting a qb both years, because I think its clear that by drafting a qb in both drafts, we open up many options, particularly if the first draft pick plays even middlin' well. The more options we have, the better.

Rick



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 04:58PM by dolphan4545.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 04:54PM

I think we should draft a qb this year, but not early, because I don't think any of the qbs available this year would be able to keep us from having a sub-par year.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 05:01PM

I agree with most of this post, just not the McSorley part. The guy didn't impress me at all.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 05:13PM

I would change the first of those three OL's to a C specifically, or a DL, we need a defensive line as badly as we need an offensive line. I don't think we could go wrong either way, though.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 12, 2019 07:15PM

I've come to a state of mind wherein the only time we should be looking to draft o-line or d-line or corner or d backs, in the first round is if we have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER AT

a) Quarterback
b) Running Back or
c) Receiver or
d) linebacker

If we have a need at one of those positions, O line, D line, or d backs can wait.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: February 12, 2019 07:16PM

Hello Sam good to see you too lol. Say what you want about my opinions and statements but i was pretty much spot on. I just say what others refuse to see. wooop new coaches, new gm, new QB i don't care what happens, the year is looking better already lol. The only thing left is to jettison some dead wood and high priced piles of crap. Time will tell what the plan is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 13, 2019 03:32AM

We have a HC now that showed that his defense can shut down a high powered offense. Let him build our defense in his image with this years draft.
Sift through the army of QBs that Gase left us and go with the best one for this season and go for the franchise QB in 2020.

Build the defense this year, offense next year.

........................................

It is HEALTH that is the true wealth, not pieces of gold and silver.
-Mahatma Gandhi-



-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 13, 2019 05:15AM

Lots of hype about Murray around the web. I watched some highlights of him and noticed not one snap from under center. How important that is in the NFL is a matter of opinion, to some not important to others a big part of a pro offense.

Murray is even smaller than Pat White who's 6'0' 205 & I remember seeing him get tossed like a rag-doll & KO'd. Murray at 5'10" 195 gives me the shivers - I think he's a huge risk, of course any college QB can be a boom or a bust in the NFL so he better have some serious magic to make it with the big boys.

I'd like to see this team work on the foundations of either defense or offense in the 1st & 2nd rounds & pick up a QB in a later round unless RT17 restructures to free up cap space. I think this team would be set up better for a 1st round QB in 2020. Either way, it's going to take more than 1 season for this team to be better than it is and QB isn't the only issue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 13, 2019 06:30AM

Fair enough fiedler hater.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: February 13, 2019 07:10AM

First round picks (especially at #13) need to be sure fire things (as much as that's possible in the NFL Draft). Murray is far from a sure thing. I'd be pretty pissed if they spent a high draft choice on a guy that would be shortest starting QB in the NFL and who has aspirations to play baseball as well. First round picks can't be reaches. Rebuild the lines.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 13, 2019 07:38AM

Yes, if Murray is there we should take him. He's a dynamic player and we need every one of those we can get. We will also need at a minimum a quality backup QB or two.

Now, if we take him, that in no way should be a reason that we don't take anothther QB in 2020, because we should. Even if he plays his rookie season on the level of Mahomes, Marino, etc. We should still take another QB in 2020.

A QB room of Murray, Falk and Tua or whomever we took in 2020 IMHO would be a pretty good room going forward.

This strategy in no way means we can't or won't address other areas of need.

If we are going to be bad next year then we should be able to be bad with or without Murray.

With the Flacco trade and Arizona reportedly sticking with Rosen it's now much more likely that Murray, Lock or Haskins will be there when we pick.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 11:16AM by Ken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 13, 2019 12:31PM

People who have always been told "no" seem to have a funny way of forcing "yes" down the world's throat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 13, 2019 04:34PM

Fins72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First round picks (especially at #13) need to be
> sure fire things (as much as that's possible in
> the NFL Draft). Murray is far from a sure thing.
> I'd be pretty pissed if they spent a high draft
> choice on a guy that would be shortest starting QB
> in the NFL and who has aspirations to play
> baseball as well. First round picks can't be
> reaches. Rebuild the lines.


So 73, is it his size alone that bothers you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 13, 2019 04:42PM

typo, I meant "So 72....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:05PM

"Now, if we take him, that in no way should be a reason that we don't take another QB in 2020, because we should. Even if he plays his rookie season on the level of Mahomes, Marino, etc. We should still take another QB in 2020.

A QB room of Murray, Falk and Tua or whomever we took in 2020 IMHO would be a pretty good room going forward."

I know you didn't say it, but with Tua being specifically mentioned, are you implying that we ought to use our 1st round pick in 2020 on a QB if Murray plays like Mahomes, Marino? Or that we ought to pick one in any of the 7 rounds? Just for clarification.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 14, 2019 02:21AM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Now, if we take him, that in no way should be a
> reason that we don't take another QB in 2020,
> because we should. Even if he plays his rookie
> season on the level of Mahomes, Marino, etc. We
> should still take another QB in 2020.
>
> A QB room of Murray, Falk and Tua or whomever we
> took in 2020 IMHO would be a pretty good room
> going forward."
>

Not only that if you look at every position as a commodity right now our qb position is not worth a damn. Grab Murray, sign say Fitzgerald or Taylor in 2019 we have increased the position's. Add another first rounder in 2020 you have a gold reserve that you can cash in for other picks in the future.

QB is the most valuable position on the field you cannot have enough value there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: February 14, 2019 04:35AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fins72 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > First round picks (especially at #13) need to
> be
> > sure fire things (as much as that's possible in
> > the NFL Draft). Murray is far from a sure
> thing.
> > I'd be pretty pissed if they spent a high draft
> > choice on a guy that would be shortest starting
> QB
> > in the NFL and who has aspirations to play
> > baseball as well. First round picks can't be
> > reaches. Rebuild the lines.
>
>
> So 73, is it his size alone that bothers you?


Not just the height but the fact that he's not altogether that big. He has a sleight build and couple that with the fact that it's likely that Miami will be starting 4 new offensive lineman next year (a good thing because the line was abysmal last year) and whoever plays QB is likely to take a pounding. At 5'9 and 190 lbs, I'm not sure how long he'd last. I'd rather address the line this year and next, then look at QB in a class that looks to be much deeper at the position. In the right system and with the right offensive line, Murray might be successful. I just don't think he's a good fit for a team that is likely to be several years away from being able to protect it's QB from a multitude of sacks and hits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: February 14, 2019 05:32AM

I agree 100% Fins72.

Once QB's with fast wheels get hurt (which they always do) and they lose that fantastic mobility you are stuck with undersized pocket QB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we REALLY need a 5'9" Quarterback?
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 14, 2019 05:51AM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Now, if we take him, that in no way should be a
> reason that we don't take another QB in 2020,
> because we should. Even if he plays his rookie
> season on the level of Mahomes, Marino, etc. We
> should still take another QB in 2020.
>
> A QB room of Murray, Falk and Tua or whomever we
> took in 2020 IMHO would be a pretty good room
> going forward."
>
> I know you didn't say it, but with Tua being
> specifically mentioned, are you implying that we
> ought to use our 1st round pick in 2020 on a QB if
> Murray plays like Mahomes, Marino? Or that we
> ought to pick one in any of the 7 rounds? Just
> for clarification.

Re: Wherever we pick in 2020 we should take the best QB available to us where we pick. If that guy is in the first round then yes we should. If he isnt, then we go other rounds to get him. All having more talented QB's on the roster does is make us better and deeper at the position while giving us competition.

Now just for instance, if Tua is the absolute best QB on the board AND we are picking at #1 AND we have Murray on our roster AND he played like Mahomes or Marino AND we badly need a franchise nose tackle...if that franchise, can't miss nose tackle is available then I wouldn't pick the QB. However that's quite the group of ands.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.