Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Training Camp
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tannehill Doubtful
Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 06:24AM

The worst case scenario is possibly about to unfold. Osweiler may get the start against a defense that possibly playing the best in the league. Gase's decision to not have an adequate back-up to Tannehill is quite likely going to blow up in his face. I hope I'm wrong but if Osweiler plays true to form, and they lose big because of poor QB play, Gase has absolutely no one to blame but himself. Quite frankly, this is the sort of thing that head coaches get fired over. Then again, Ross isn't your normal run of the mill owner. When it comes to football decisions, Ross doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and would probably extend Gase's contract instead of giving him the axe.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Date: October 14, 2018 06:41AM

Word around here (im tailgating at the stadium) is that they dont want Khalil Mack to knock Tanny out for the season. Hes gonna run , hes gonna be fearless, and he will lose bigtime against this guy. Our oline better open some holes for the run.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 06:41AM

Adam Schefter reports that Tannehill is inactive. I'm honestly not sure if I can stand to watch this train-wreck. Do you think Chicago will load up against the run and dare Osweiler to beat them? Rhetorical question of course.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 06:46AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Word around here (im tailgating at the stadium) is
> that they dont want Khalil Mack to knock Tanny out
> for the season. Hes gonna run , hes gonna be
> fearless, and he will lose bigtime against this
> guy. Our oline better open some holes for the run.


I hope that Mack runs toward the Dolphins sideline and knocks Gase out for the season. He's the architect of this train wreck. Brock Frigging Osweiler starting... I'd rather have Philbin back. I read that Philbin wanted to draft Derek Carr and didn't want to draft Devante Parker but was overruled on both. Comparatively speaking, those would have been the best personnel decisions this franchise has seen in a decade.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Date: October 14, 2018 06:51AM

Fins72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adam Schefter reports that Tannehill is inactive.
> I'm honestly not sure if I can stand to watch this
> train-wreck. Do you think Chicago will load up
> against the run and dare Osweiler to beat them?
> Rhetorical question of course.


Absolutely whats going to happen.
He played great in that last game of the preseason. Im rooting for him.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 07:00AM


Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Date: October 14, 2018 07:35AM

Nick foles was a journey man that never accomplished much either. Never say never... but... this Bears defense will truly test his mettle.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 08:03AM

Nick Foles' career numbers much better than Osweiler's. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am. Houston gave away draft picks to get rid of him for a reason.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Date: October 14, 2018 09:32AM

So far so good. 30 min to go.... we blew a 17 lead....so anything is possible. But i like the energy.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: KB ()
Date: October 14, 2018 11:55AM

Don’t believe in Tannehill so naturally in my cynical mind the game just proves our OLine, running game, and everything else Tannehill supporters use to make excuses for him are not all that bad. If a journeyman can come in and throw for 3 TDS and almost 400 yards, setting up our first 100 yard rusher in a year...against one of the better defenses going...well, I realize Osweiler isn’t an ‘answer’ but Tannehill is a big part of the problem with our offense...change my mind.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 12:00PM

It should be an eye-opener for anybody that loves Miami football.

........................................

It is HEALTH that is the true wealth, not pieces of gold and silver.
-Mahatma Gandhi-



-

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 02:51PM

KB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don’t believe in Tannehill so naturally in my
> cynical mind the game just proves our OLine,
> running game, and everything else Tannehill
> supporters use to make excuses for him are not all
> that bad. If a journeyman can come in and throw
> for 3 TDS and almost 400 yards, setting up our
> first 100 yard rusher in a year...against one of
> the better defenses going...well, I realize
> Osweiler isn’t an ‘answer’ but Tannehill is
> a big part of the problem with our
> offense...change my mind.


Open your eyes tcpf.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 14, 2018 02:53PM

Difference is, KB, not that Osweiler is a better QB but that he is a better POCKET QB than Tanny.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: KB ()
Date: October 14, 2018 03:57PM

He did definitely show an ability to feel and avoid the rush and get rid of the ball. Theses are the times Tannehill usually goes ‘spastic’ (as another poster put it) and makes mistakes. One more mistake, by anyone, we lose that game. I don’t expect many repeats of that performance by Osweiler, but will gladly take them if they come. Stranger things have happened.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 04:07PM by KB.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Date: October 14, 2018 05:22PM

I would have no problem with Osweiler taking over if that was better for the team.I was watching live.....Tannehill steps back and takes wayyyyy longer to make a decision. He is so much more athletic he tends to try and make time.

Osweiler stepped back and boom, either threw it or through it away.

I never ever thought he would unseat Tanny, but I knew he was quite capable.some of the criticisms of him from Sam especially were completely wrong. Hes not starting yet.. but id have no issues if he did.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 15, 2018 01:26AM


Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 15, 2018 01:37AM

Throwing it away was one key reason #13 is now forever memorialized with this franchise. That could be T’s biggest problem too: He’s always taking the negative yardage, which crippled the drive. It’s only one game but I liked what I saw from Osweiler.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Date: October 15, 2018 09:15AM

toko34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Throwing it away was one key reason #13 is now
> forever memorialized with this franchise. That
> could be T’s biggest problem too: He’s always
> taking the negative yardage, which crippled the
> drive. It’s only one game but I liked what I saw
> from Osweiler.


As much as I appreciate Tannehills athleticism Watching Osweiler dump the ball a few times when #52 Mack was breathing down his neck really highlighted for me what an issue he has doing that when he needs too. Again I think hes possibly over confident in his athletic skills and still has a receiver mentality thinking he can out run it instead of killing the play. I don't really know.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 15, 2018 11:35AM


Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 15, 2018 11:46AM

Also, RT does NOT routinely hold the ball too long. He is one of the quickest from snap to throw and he has been for a a few seasons now.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 15, 2018 12:36PM

So I’m guessing we will get to see Brock again this Sunday and will be able to see if he’s able to repeat or come close to his performance yesterday. Honestly a win is a win for me so if he can continue leading us to wins I guess I don’t care if he throws it further than 10 yards, etc. when I wrote about passes beyond 10 yards I was thinking “Brady slices and dices with the shirt game all day. But he often throws a good deep ball when the opportunity presents itself”. So I saw the two as complimentary and both important. But if throwing well past 10 yards just isn’t that important, again, I’m about the win.

I genuinely hope that he can repeat much of what he did yesterday since it seemed to be a big part of the difference overall. And I genuinely hope we rush for another bunch of yards to support a balanced attack.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 15, 2018 12:55PM

Absolutely, whoever starts needs to play well, RT or Brock.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 15, 2018 03:27PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, RT does NOT routinely hold the ball too
> long. He is one of the quickest from snap to throw
> and he has been for a a few seasons now.


Ken, statistics can not only be deceiving in the sense that the path they suggest is not worth what it seems but often outright misleading in the sense that they lead you downright to the exact opposite false conclusion.

RT is throwing the ball quicker because a) his protection is breaking down and/or b) he thinks it will in a minute if it already has not. He has probably learned from his rookie year that our line cannot protect him long enough for him to complete a pass UNLIKE HIS VISION WHEN HE IS OUT OF THE POCKET AND DOING THE OLE RUN AND GUN.

But still, that means that unlike most of the other 31 NFL QBs, he's not comfortable in the pocket.

And unlike Osweiler. Yesterday was such a breather for me. I felt there was a QB that I was not worried about. I was concentrating on who would win out, the receiver or the defender.

I was not concerned with whether the QB would get sacked and worse, fumble the ball while he was getting sacked.

No "deer in the headlights" to worry about.

We'll see if Gase is an even bigger idiot than Philbin (my apologies to JSM08) because at least Philbin started with Tanny but Gase has just seen what Osweiler has done and when he goes back to Tanny, if the QB play dips from Osweiler, that would make him much worse than Philbin because Philbin just went with the traditional notion that a QB should stay in the pocket. Gase has seen Tanny perform horribly in the pocket and then has seen Osweiler do far better in one game and if he goes back to Tanny (without changing the offensive scheme completely) he has no one to blame but himself.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 15, 2018 04:50PM

Yes but our protection yesterday, for whatever reason, was in fact better than what RT has gotten, especially lately. I'm just talking time from snap to pressure here. RT does need to be more consistent in his play. Also not arguing as far as Gase goes because he does need to do a better job.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Date: October 15, 2018 06:40PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes but our protection yesterday, for whatever
> reason, was in fact better than what RT has
> gotten, especially lately. I'm just talking time
> from snap to pressure here. RT does need to be
> more consistent in his play. Also not arguing as
> far as Gase goes because he does need to do a
> better job.


No doubt the blocking was wayyyyyyy improved. We had a couple of disasters, fumbles , penalties, but some fantastic runs really saved the day.
We either played really well or got really lucky against one of the better defenses we will face. More importantly we came back after a really dissapointing loss after giving up a 17 point lead. That mental toughness shows alot.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 15, 2018 06:46PM

Well, Ken, it could be what you say, (better protection) or what I say (a QB more adept naturally to playing in the pocket).

We shall see going forward but we should then analyze whether it is Osweiler's pocket play or whether, when RT comes back, it is the protection.

But, just an academic point, what is your theory on why the protection just happened to be better for Osweiler?

Do they (the linemen) just figure that if Osweiler fails, critics will blame him (Osweiler) which made them play looser and thus better but when Tannehill is QB, they were more uptight and thus played worse?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2018 06:47PM by ChyrenB.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Date: October 15, 2018 09:41PM

I was there. The Bears just couldn't get at Osweiler. They were blocking well. BUT Osweiler just seemed to read the defense better. He called some audibles did you catch that? Threw them off. And if the play wasn't working he through it away. Something Tanny NEVER does. I have to say Mentally Osweiler was superior .

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 16, 2018 04:35AM

We match up better against some teams than others. The bears thought tannehill was going to play all week and prepared for him. Wonder how osweiller will play if another team has an entire week to prepare for him. Imo osweiler is still a scrub. Matt moore revisited. One game wonder.

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: KB ()
Date: October 16, 2018 05:19AM

The ‘quickest from snap to release’ is most likely deceiving. We throw lots of dump offs and screens...just part of the offense. And terrible sacks don’t count lol. As far as better blocking? Well ok but as many here have said for years. A lot of that CAN be the pocket presence of the QB. You don’t have to be Cam Newton to avoid a rush. Just that sense of when to make a side step here, a step up there or take a different angle on your drop back...makes the blocking look much better. Brady does it, Marino did it, Osweiler did it Sunday. Makes a huge difference. The rap on Osweiler has always been he’s an interception machine. No one was ready for him Sunday but this week they probably will be. He’ll get different looks trying to bait him to throw balls he shouldn’t. We’ll see. But undoubtedly his performance showed us Tannehills continued inadequacies at the basic things an NFL QB must be able to do to be successful. Avoid the rush, stay cool and know when to get rid of the ball. drinking smiley

Re: Tannehill Doubtful
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 16, 2018 06:40AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, Ken, it could be what you say, (better
> protection) or what I say (a QB more adept
> naturally to playing in the pocket).
>
> We shall see going forward but we should then
> analyze whether it is Osweiler's pocket play or
> whether, when RT comes back, it is the
> protection.
>
> But, just an academic point, what is your theory
> on why the protection just happened to be better
> for Osweiler?
>
> Do they (the linemen) just figure that if Osweiler
> fails, critics will blame him (Osweiler) which
> made them play looser and thus better but when
> Tannehill is QB, they were more uptight and thus
> played worse?


RE: I was there too. The blocking by the O-Line was better than what RT has gotten lately. Penalties by the line were way down, they held blocks, didn't get beat at the snap, and opened holes for our RB's. All this combined with Oswieller mostly making good decisions with the ball helped us out a lot. Because of these things we were in 3rd and manageable most of the day.

But even with all of those positives the offense was not nearly as consistent as it needs to be...we just can't have four or five drives in a game where we have three and outs. Even if we don't score points on a drive we have to pick up a few first downs each time we get the ball. The defense can't be expected to save the day weekly when they are gassed...and they were getting gassed late in the game.

The keys to the game were, we as a team played well mostly, we limited penalties, we made a few plays and we got a little luckly...But mostly the o line blocked well and that made it easier on the passing game due to the defense not being able to just smother our receivers.

Brock didn't do anything in this game that RT has not been doing except for he didn't get touched and we had an effective running game all day. Great for Brock and I'm so happy he had a good game...and I hope he has another this week. Facts are, most QB's would look good with no pressure.

All we really did Sunday is show what is possible for this team when EVERYONE (except McTyer) does their jobs well for a full 60 minutes without any let downs. Thats where we have to get to each and every week. If we keep doing that we will gain the consistency this team has lacked. Then we'll be amongst the elite teams and well go places.

As far as the pressure thing RT against Cincinnati in the second half had defenders in his face when he got to the bottom of his drop a lot. You can't throw the ball away and you can't dump it off or scramble away under that condition. RT had defenders right in his face when he turned around after taking the snap quite often. The reason for that is an O-Line getting beat at the snap. When you get beat like that you have one of two choices, hold or let the defender go and allow him to hit your QB. We had six guys (1 C, 2 OG, 2 OT, and TE) that did not do their jobs in the second half of the Bengals game...that's why we lost, it's simple. Good blocking makes our entire offense work and it opens up the big plays...just like we saw against the Bears.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2018 06:55AM by Ken.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.