Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tannehill is way better than brady.
Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: February 07, 2018 12:55PM

If we were to trade our first round it would be a swap for the other teams first and then extra picks.

Every pick should be looked at as long term. No matter the position. We have a QB that can succeed when healthy...give him a better cast

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 07, 2018 01:00PM

And remember, you can cite examples of Quarterbacks on the free market after being released by other teams coming to a new team and doing fantastically. It happens! But there is an ole saying that "The exception proves the rule."

That means that if something happens on one occasion, far from meaning that the rule is wrong, all that means is that nothing is 100% guaranteed and there are bound to be contra exceptions in history. However the fact that there are only rare exceptions, far from logically proving that the rule is either wrong or meaningless, it shows that the rule is USUALLY correct.

It is USUALLY CORRECT that if you want a QB of the future, you get him in the first round. Not always but usually.

So there are really two separate arguments here.

1) Do we need a QB of the future RIGHT NOW!!!!

or

2) Do we not need him right now and have other more pressing priorities.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 07, 2018 01:05PM

Grimey13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we were to trade our first round it would be a
> swap for the other teams first and then extra
> picks.
>
> Every pick should be looked at as long term. No
> matter the position. We have a QB that can
> succeed when healthy...give him a better cast


I was typing the above when you posted this.

Well, let me ask you this. Your "first for first" idea was not one being championed by my main opposition on drafting Rudolph or Rosen or Mayfield or Darnold. That was Treasure. He wanted to exchange them for third and fourth round picks and stock up on linemen.

But let me ask this, why are you so confident that Tannehill either is or will come back healthy?

Don't keep it from us. Give us all a reason to breathe easier.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 07, 2018 01:33PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We need to bring in a TOP TIER QB rookie from the
> draft. We are talking about the LONG TERM future
> of our team. You guys are thinking so short term
> like what we eat for dinner tonight instead of
> where we get hired for our next steady salary,
> Trade that pick for a bunch of 3rd and 4th
> rounders???????? That is even MORE INSANE than
> using the first round pick on a lineman.

****************************************************

Although I feel that the Fins have many holes to fill, if one of the top three QBs was there when Miami's turn came, I wouldn't have a problem drafting him.

But, I still say we need an IMMEDIATE starter to get this team going in the right direction. If LBer J. Smith is there at eleven, that would be my pick. Our LBing corps played very poorly. Getting McMillan back from injury and drafting Smith, our LBers SHOULD plug the leaks on defense.

The only way a QB would see the field is if RT either can't come back or gets injured again, and even then, it would probably be whomever the veteran QB is that would take over.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 07, 2018 01:35PM

captkoi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We need to bring in a TOP TIER QB rookie from
> the
> > draft. We are talking about the LONG TERM
> future
> > of our team. You guys are thinking so short
> term
> > like what we eat for dinner tonight instead of
> > where we get hired for our next steady salary,
> > Trade that pick for a bunch of 3rd and 4th
> > rounders???????? That is even MORE INSANE than
> > using the first round pick on a lineman.
>
> **************************************************
> **
>
> Although I feel that the Fins have many holes to
> fill, if one of the top three QBs was there when
> Miami's turn came, I wouldn't have a problem
> drafting him.
>
> But, I still say we need an IMMEDIATE starter to
> get this team going in the right direction. If
> LBer J. Smith is there at eleven, that would be my
> pick. Our LBing corps played very poorly. Getting
> McMillan back from injury and drafting Smith, our
> LBers SHOULD plug the leaks on defense.
>
> The only way a QB would see the field is if RT
> either can't come back or gets injured again, and
> even then, it would probably be whomever the
> veteran QB is that would take over.

*************************************************

Oops....that is R. Smith at LBer.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: February 07, 2018 02:02PM

qb qb qb qb qb dear God, please please give these idiot phins enough brains to draft a good qb!! And without any disrespect to anyone, please give our coaches their respective balls back so they can make the proper cuts and decisions.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: February 08, 2018 02:28AM

I never said I was confident that he would return right away. I said we should give him the benefit to see if that could happen.

He did not opt for the surgery before he got hurt again in preseason. He wanted to see how it would heal. Well that didn't work. He has now had the surgery and will be close to a full year of recovery once preseason starts.

They are doing really amazing things in the medical field these days. I am not going to compare him to other players around the league because everyone heals different and trains different. He is an athlete. Not your normal Joe Schmoe.

I have never said we should not draft a QB. I said I don't want to reach. If one of these GREAT QB's coming out is there when we pick him I would not be upset. I wouldn't be upset if we passed either. Would I rather trade back if something is not there for us when it is our turn? Hell yes!!!

Fiedler couldn't hold Tanne's jock!!!! Tanne could hang it out to dry on those dumbo ears of Fiedler though.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 08, 2018 04:49AM

What has tannehill done to make people believe he is so good? LMAO.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 08, 2018 04:49AM

And stats dont mean $HIT if you cant make it to the playoffs.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: February 08, 2018 05:35AM

I would take Tanne over 3 (possibly 4) of the QB's that made the playoffs this year. It is a team sport Samsam. This is not golf. Tanne is far from the reason why we can't make the playoffs. We also have the best team in the league year in and year out in our own division.

I do not believe Tanne is a great QB but I believe he has the skills to actually get us deep into the playoffs with a better supporting cast around him. O-Line has sucked for years. It isn't like it was when we had Long on the LT spot. And I am talking about the first 3 years of Jake.

Look at Philly. Best O-line in the game and their D is nasty. Reason why Foles was able to do what he did. When you have those open passing lanes you can just gun it.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 08, 2018 06:00AM

Grimey what you say makes sense but the only thing i disagree with is
tannehill cannot get us deep into the playoffs.

Like i said before, i wish he proves me wrong....Id be happy as hell if he proves me wrong and becomes a superstar.

I would be the first one calling him tannehill the real deal.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 08, 2018 07:08AM

RT has all of the physical tools you look for. He is an accurate thrower, and if you look at his numbers he can get it done and he has gotten it done before. The argument that he has not gotten us to the playoffs is also bogus because without his play two years ago we don't make the playoffs...not taking anything away from the job Moore did after RT got hurt. RT and that injury hurt us a lot and for those who maintain he took the wrong approach in the off season are not looking at the facts. The doctors all told him that not having surgery was just as effective a strategy as having it. Not having it did not weaken the knee according to the doctors. We need a long term backup QB not a guy that will start. If it happens that he has to start then great but that should not be the focus of drafting him.

We need a better supporting cast and I maintain if RT had been under center this past season we'd have made the playoffs over at least two teams.

LB, TE and OL are where need to get markedly better to level the playing field. A backup QB only makes our depth better...and we need that too, but it won't put us over the top because the guy won't start. No way a rookie comes in and wins the job by out playing a healthy RT.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 08, 2018 12:16PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RT has all of the physical tools you look for. He
> is an accurate thrower, and if you look at his
> numbers he can get it done and he has gotten it
> done before. The argument that he has not gotten
> us to the playoffs is also bogus because without
> his play two years ago we don't make the
> playoffs...not taking anything away from the job
> Moore did after RT got hurt. RT and that injury
> hurt us a lot and for those who maintain he took
> the wrong approach in the off season are not
> looking at the facts. The doctors all told him
> that not having surgery was just as effective a
> strategy as having it. Not having it did not
> weaken the knee according to the doctors. We need
> a long term backup QB not a guy that will start.
> If it happens that he has to start then great but
> that should not be the focus of drafting him.
>
> We need a better supporting cast and I maintain if
> RT had been under center this past season we'd
> have made the playoffs over at least two teams.
>
> LB, TE and OL are where need to get markedly
> better to level the playing field.

RESPONSE: All of the above points are debatable and although true, it is a matter of degree and assessment of the priority. My view is no better than yours and I would say that the reverse is also true.

>A backup QB
> only makes our depth better...and we need that
> too, but it won't put us over the top because the
> guy won't start.

RESPONSE: I wouldn't consider drafting either Mayfield, Rosen, Rudolph or Darnold drafting a "backup" in the "Moore" sense of the word. I consider either a backup in the fall of 2018 if Tanny comes back and a starter in 2019, or a starter if he does not come back from his injury in September.

>No way a rookie comes in and wins
> the job by out playing a healthy RT.

RESPONSE: That's a matter of opinion and of course, mine is only opinion as well.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 09, 2018 12:56AM

My problem with drafting a QB in the first round this year is that it does nothing to help the team in 2018. It also does little to help the team in 2019 as well. RT will be the starter in 2018 so the rookie won't get to do anything. I also don't see that rookie beating him out in 2019 either, so that season is also wasted for the player. Even if by some great stroke of fortune the rookie gets to start in 2019 he isn't likely to light up the league for another one to two seasons whereby (3-4 years down the road) we have to retool much of our roster again so we still don't do much and still have to add another QB as a backup.

Not saying it couldn't happen, just that it's improbable, IMHO. Drafting a guy in the second or third round makes much more sense given our current situation. That way, we get players that we sorely need (1st Rd. LB, OL, DL or TE) as well as a QB to groom for a season or two should we need him to play.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 03:24AM

I agree that a rookie will not beat out Tannehill in 2019. That's why Im for bring in a guy like McCarron or Foles to challenge or replace him. At the same time bring in a qb (or 2) in the draft to develop.

A guy like Falk in rnd 3/4 rnd. The grab a qb like Litton (Marshall), Jones (Duke) in rnd 6. Check the guys out on youtube.

Now we keep talking about qbs but I hope Gase is getting his staff together. Watching Philly handle the Patsies in the super bowl really made me realize how inept our coaching staff is.

Play calling. Pederson ran a clinic called 'how to beat Bellicheat, Brady and the rest of those bastards'. DC mixed front 7 up, different looks, rotating.

DBs kept the Pats receivers in front of them and made the tackle as soon as the catch was made on some key plays. Safeties were in the right place. For most of the game they held the advantage over the Pats receiver.

OLine, executed traps, controlled the edge on sweeps, pushed the dline back on short yardage, opened lanes, screens. Coach called the play they executed it. You could see those guys up front enjoyed kicking the guys in front of them ***. Old school stuff, they were taking it personal.

I can go on but bottom line I was wishing we had their coaching staff.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 05:25AM

Need to grab at least 2 qbs in this here draft....One in the first and the other one later in the draft.

We do not even have a good backup QB.

Overall THe QB position is the weakest position on this team.

Then comes....OL and then LB.

1st. QB
2nd. OL
3rd. LB
4th. OL
5th. QB
6th. LB
7th. OL

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 09, 2018 06:24AM

Mizzou15, you are aware that we made the Pats look inept this season too. We gave them the single best beatdown they recieved all year. We have a staff and players to take it to them...the coaches have call a good game and the players just have to execute on the field.

The difference between our game and the Superbowl is that our defense absolutely shut them down...the eagles never did.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 07:25AM

Ken what made the difference in the second half against the eagles was gronk.

Gronk didnt play against us...


People say its a team sport but sometimes a single player makes a huge difference.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 07:27AM

And new england didnt win the superbowl but gronk was one of the main reasons the game was so close at the end there.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 10:14AM

I am aware of our victory. We got 2 ints off Brady and as Sam said there was no Gronk. They were able to focus on Cook and shut him down. Getting your team fired up to overachieve and beat a rival is not impressive when you go 6-10 for the season. Eagles victory was more impressive.

Coaches gotta get off the pot too.

Re: Tannehill is way better than brady.
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 12, 2018 04:40AM

True, but with or without Gronk you don't beat the Pats unless you have the talent on the field to get it done.

We need more talent to be sure, but we are hardly devoid of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.