Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Training Camp
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Date: July 17, 2017 03:23PM

My oldest graduated High School last June. Going away to college. Hes getting to the age where he doesnt even want to go away with us anymore. I gave him the option of picking a vacation destination as I fear it may be his last with us.

I would have bet money he was going to say Vegas. Hes never been and always talks about it. Nope he said........Wait for it.......Boston MA. I have never been. Living in NYC for 32 yrs if I never see a big city again I'll be all right with it. But thats where he wanted to see. The history and the culture. (WTF did my son grow up so fast!!!?)

So I spent the last week in Boston and I have to tell ya.....its a great city! We had a blast. I saw the Sox beat the Yanks at Fenway and really got a finger on the pulse of the city and the typical NE Fan. These are a proud bunch of people.

I felt a huge loyalty and love for the red Sox from the fans at Fenway I just dont feel or rarely see at any South Florida sports venues.....especially the Dolphins. There are many reasons for this I know but its a fact and if I can feel it , you know the Players do.

New York Yankee Aaron Judge was losing his mind in the Outfield from a constant barrage of Aaron you Queeh!! (No R's in Boston) I'm a Mets fan and was really having fun watching him tortured. I've never in my life seen anything remotely close to that at a Dolphins game. they made great strides in redesigning the stadium though. Closer seats might help some. Its a edge we never had.

Sports aside I really thought it was a fantastic city I'd like to return to some day. I've still never been to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard.

NYC......not so much. eye rolling smiley

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: July 18, 2017 03:11AM

A good buddy of mine is a huge RedSox fan. We have gone to Fenway twice. Both times against the Indians (my team) and both times the Indians won. It was really a blast.

The fans there were actually very nice and respectful towards me, which I never thought would be the case. The whole scene around the stadium was awesome too. All the bars and amazing restaurants. Each time we were only there for like a day and a half. Wish it had been longer now.

We plan on going to Cleveland sometime this year. All these years being a fan and I have never been there. Having young kids not really into baseball and being a cheap ass didn't help.

My daughter is just starting High School this year so I have a feeling I am going to be in your boat soon. Man that really sucks.

Glad you enjoyed your time there!!!

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Date: July 18, 2017 01:14PM

Yes I loved the culture around Fenway. The shops, the restaurants and vendors. Miami could build that easily around the park. Make each game an experience . I know the Players would feel it.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 19, 2017 05:15PM

Was there in the Summer of 1966, going to summer school. Then went to Purdue for a year only where Bob Griese was the hero and that's why I'm here on this board. Then went to Berkeley for three years and after that went back to Mass, Cambridge, for another three years.

Hated it. In those years, I went to the Stadium at Foxsboro where I enjoyed my Dolphins brutalizing the Patsies.

They were a joke then and we were beginning our greatness.

But back to Boston and the area. Hated the cold, hated the people, hated everything about it.

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Date: July 19, 2017 05:36PM

It does get cold. I actually miss Winter sometimes. I actually enjoyed shoveling the snow, creating a new path. Right now the humidity in South Fla. is killing me. Cant wait for another month to pass.

hated the people? Really? They couldn't have been more friendly. And the city definitely leaned left. The restaurants the American History were incredible.So clean so well preserved. But to each its own.....

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 19, 2017 07:39PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My oldest graduated High School last June....he
> said........Wait for it.......Boston MA.


Your kid is VERY Smart! grinning smiley

I'd have replied sooner but ironically I've been in S FL visiting family!

I first ventured into Boston on a family trip when I was in High school too, and I loved it so much I eventually moved to the area. Been here 20+ years and still love it very much.

The history of the area, the non-football sports teams, the exciting things coming from our tech sector (MIT, WPI, Wentworth, all attracting great talent to the area), the influx of youth overall with the dozens upon dozens of colleges here. Top notch health care, great beaches (Except for the surf temperature). The suburbs were developed 300+ years ago, so there is hardly any suburban 'sprawl'. I could go on and on.

Sox fans are definitely proud, and the setting of Fenway is fantastic, as you described. Fenway is a neighborhood within the city limits and the park has been here 100+ years. When it was in need of renovations a while back, there were some calls to demolish it and rebuild a new ballpark. Thank God new ownership and great engineering had a better plan: Renovate in stages every off season. Add a few rows here and there over a couple years, a new premium upper deck section another year, re-do the seats a few sections at at time, etc. All Brilliant, and the lower capacity (30K+ seats) makes for an intimate setting.

The Marlins tried to replicate this somewhat by moving the team from JRS which is out at the county line, to a setting close to downtown Miami. The thought was more residents, tourists, etc would flock to the new stadium, but I hear attendance stinks, and saw lots of blue empty seats at a home game on TV recently. That's a shame.

I am not going to fully defend the chanting antics of the Bleacher Creatures at Fenway--they are the least expensive seats at the park and the source of some not-so-classy antics, some of them blatantly racist. But stadium security and team management has done a good job in reining that garbage. But yes, the fans are passionate and loyal.

I had no problem being a childhood fan of the Celtics and RedSox as a kid before ever setting foot in Boston. This is because I had a fascination with the source of the American Revolution, and at the time, there were no other professional teams of any sport in the entire state of FL other than the dolphins.

The Cape and Vineyard are great too. Different than the city, of course. Lots of great old coastal towns from the North Shore on up through Maine as well.

It was great to hear that you had a good experience here. Come on back!





(edited to purge extra quoted text)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 07:40PM by JC.

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 19, 2017 07:47PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> But back to Boston and the area. Hated the cold,
> hated the people, hated everything about it.

It's still cold in the winter, even with Global Warming. But it can also get over 100F in the summer, a temperature never seen in Miami.

Spring is brief but beautiful, autumn is legendary (people fly from all over to leaf-peep). But to each their own. I always say that if Boston didn't have such 'bad' weather, we'd be like California (most populous state ) or Florida (more people now than State of NY).

The 60s were a long time ago, and I have no doubt that it wasn't as good a place to be back then. I first visited here in the 80s and I know for certain it is a lot better now than then in all respects.

I'll bet that if you were to come back for a reunion or something, you'd be pleasantly surprised! Ever talk to any of your old classmates? What do they think of the area nowadays, assuming some still have contact with the area?

But people do leave all the time who are sick of the weather. They flock to Florida and more recently the Carolinas. I tell 'em thanks for keeping our population level stable! grinning smiley

(edited for spelling)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 07:49PM by JC.

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 20, 2017 05:15AM

just got one thing to say....


There is nothing like the beaches and the beaches....



Anyways glad you had a good time.

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 25, 2017 10:15AM

LOL. Obviously, my 'hated the people' was a not to be taken for more than seriously hyperbole.

Actually, they cracked me up. I thought they were funny. My very first experience was in the summer of 66 after I had graduated from high school and went to summer school at Harvard and stayed at the law school dorms which housed the summer school students in government. Then, after a 4 year hiatus, I came back to start law school and was picked up at Logan by a cab driver who, obviously thought I was a hick brother from California who knew nothing about the town so he decided to take me on a looonnnngggg ride building up charges. I let him play his game until about 12 blocks from the campus, he became confused....I said, "Turn right here....go down to three streets...turn left......slant off to the left......now turn right" (his eyes got big) ...."now stop here. This is the dorm right here."......"And that trip shouldn't be more than $1.80 instead of the $5.50 on your meter." I handed him two dollars and he was like a deer in the headlights and handed me 20 cents change.

You gotta love em.

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Date: July 25, 2017 03:00PM

JC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My oldest graduated High School last June....he
> > said........Wait for it.......Boston MA.
>
>
> Your kid is VERY Smart! grinning smiley
>
> I'd have replied sooner but ironically I've been
> in S FL visiting family!
>
> I first ventured into Boston on a family trip when
> I was in High school too, and I loved it so much I
> eventually moved to the area. Been here 20+ years
> and still love it very much.
>
> The history of the area, the non-football sports
> teams, the exciting things coming from our tech
> sector (MIT, WPI, Wentworth, all attracting great
> talent to the area), the influx of youth overall
> with the dozens upon dozens of colleges here. Top
> notch health care, great beaches (Except for the
> surf temperature). The suburbs were developed 300+
> years ago, so there is hardly any suburban
> 'sprawl'. I could go on and on.
>
> Sox fans are definitely proud, and the setting of
> Fenway is fantastic, as you described. Fenway is a
> neighborhood within the city limits and the park
> has been here 100+ years. When it was in need of
> renovations a while back, there were some calls to
> demolish it and rebuild a new ballpark. Thank God
> new ownership and great engineering had a better
> plan: Renovate in stages every off season. Add a
> few rows here and there over a couple years, a new
> premium upper deck section another year, re-do the
> seats a few sections at at time, etc. All
> Brilliant, and the lower capacity (30K+ seats)
> makes for an intimate setting.
>
> The Marlins tried to replicate this somewhat by
> moving the team from JRS which is out at the
> county line, to a setting close to downtown Miami.
> The thought was more residents, tourists, etc
> would flock to the new stadium, but I hear
> attendance stinks, and saw lots of blue empty
> seats at a home game on TV recently. That's a
> shame.
>
> I am not going to fully defend the chanting antics
> of the Bleacher Creatures at Fenway--they are the
> least expensive seats at the park and the source
> of some not-so-classy antics, some of them
> blatantly racist. But stadium security and team
> management has done a good job in reining that
> garbage. But yes, the fans are passionate and
> loyal.
>
> I had no problem being a childhood fan of the
> Celtics and RedSox as a kid before ever setting
> foot in Boston. This is because I had a
> fascination with the source of the American
> Revolution, and at the time, there were no other
> professional teams of any sport in the entire
> state of FL other than the dolphins.
>
> The Cape and Vineyard are great too. Different
> than the city, of course. Lots of great old
> coastal towns from the North Shore on up through
> Maine as well.
>
> It was great to hear that you had a good
> experience here. Come on back!
>
>
>
>
>
> (edited to purge extra quoted text)




I will definitely be back!! We loved it. We didn't have time to go to Cape Cod or Marthas vineyard . I want to experience that. I could care if I ever see NYC again. Allthough I miss Whire castle sometimes and I still remain a METS fan. Loved Fenway. I mean I was HOOKED. I also took the Celitics tour in the new Stadium/building. It was set up for a Joan Jett Concert but it was interesting as heck. There was some Tom Brady Memorabilia along the tour and lets just say the tour guide didnt like me. eye rolling smiley LOL...... I'm going to give New Orleans a shot next trip , and Dallas after that. But so far Boston is leading the pack for me as far as large cities go. smileys with beer Miami has become a Fing Dump as far as I'm concerned. I only go to Miami games and my son loves the Heat.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 25, 2017 04:19PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL. Obviously, my 'hated the people' was a not
> to be taken for more than seriously hyperbole.
>

Hah no offense taken! I kind of wish I'd visited earlier than in the 80s, I've heard lots of stories like that


>..... a cab driver who, obviously
> thought I was a hick brother from California who
> knew nothing about the town so he decided to take
> me on a looonnnngggg ride building up charges.


Hey at least they treated you like an equal. Even locals get treated like that from the cabbies. They sense that someone flying into the airport either is either naive from being an out of towner, or almost equally naive as a suburbanite that doesn't venture into town much .

A few years ago the Hackney Division required cabbies to accept credit cards and to offset the cc surcharges allowed an increase in the rates the cabs could charge. Big surprise: there was an epidemic of "broken" credit card processors in the taxis, but they were still happier to charge the higher rate.

THEN along came Justice, spelled U-B-E-R. Uber and Lyft have screwed the cabbies almost as bad as the cabbies have been screwing their own fares. Free market is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, I really think you should stop by for your next reunion-related function!

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 25, 2017 04:35PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I will definitely be back!! We loved it.


So glad to hear.

We didn't
> have time to go to Cape Cod or Marthas vineyard .
> I want to experience that.

It's nice, although a completely different experience. Small towns, Crowded and buzzing during the summer season, less so in the offseason. Traffic jams at the cape bridges can be legendary, and you need to take a ferry or airplane to MV. If you bring a car onto the ferry, big bucks to ride.


> I could care if I ever
> see NYC again.

I like being a few hours away from NYC and am overdue for a visit. Could never live there though; it's too intense. Don't know how you or my relatives did it.


> Allthough I miss Whire castle
> sometimes and I still remain a METS fan.

For me it's Katz's deli and the few others that are still open. Can't believe it but the iconic NYC delis are closing one by one. It's horrible.


> Loved
> Fenway. I mean I was HOOKED. I also took the
> Celitics tour in the new Stadium/building. It was
> set up for a Joan Jett Concert but it was
> interesting as heck.

Cool. I was really lucky to see the Old Garden (in all its dizzying pitch seating, non-air-conditioned glory) but the new Garden is nice too. If it isn't a Celtics game it's a Bruins game or a Concert. Always something going on there.


> There was some Tom Brady
> Memorabilia along the tour and lets just say the
> tour guide didnt like me.

Hahhh. give it to 'em good.


eye rolling smiley LOL...... I'm
> going to give New Orleans a shot next trip


N.O. is great, although I haven't been there in ages. The Superdome was a lot newer when I visited and I enjoyed that tour as a much younger guy. Food is amazing and music is great. Go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets - a french inspired donut that you don't have to be a cop to love winking smiley I hear NO has more crime than it used to but I'd still go. No need to go during Mardi Gras because that place is already always a party.


> But so far Boston is leading
> the pack for me as far as large cities go.

Great but hey now, we are NOT a large city. You can easily walk across it! smiling smiley We like to think we are, because Bostonians somehow are insecure about NY - hah.

Hey maybe you could join the police force here. you might like it! Definitely a different environment.


smileys with beer
> Miami has become a Fing Dump as far as I'm
> concerned.

I was born there and I left for a few reasons. But, I still like to visit.

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 25, 2017 07:31PM

Gotta talk about my Cape Cod experience. I had a case there. I was defending a guy who had 21 pills on him and there was a co defendant represented by a fellow law student who had only one pill on him and that pill had been given to him by my client.

Prior to the hearing, we discussed the cases. My fellow law student said to me, "I'm going to start by describing what the range of the sentences is...." I stopped him and said, "I don't think you should even mention the maximum sentence to the judge. I plan to just plead my case for leniency for my client"

My case was called first and I started by arguing for leniency. In those days (and perhaps today) the most lenient disposition was to continue the case without a finding for six months and if the defendant did not get into trouble in that time, the case would be called and dismissed.

I argued for that disposition and it was granted.

My fellow law student started by saying "The maximum sentence in this case is 6 months in the House of Corrections....." "SIX MONTHS IN THE HOUSE OF CORRECTIONS!!!!!....the Judge yelled.

The kid was so devastated that he switched over to the law students working under the District Attorneys.

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 26, 2017 08:02AM

Holy Crap Chyren. Then you went from there to being a prosecutor. Maybe you were inspired by that case to specialize in prosecuting..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nowadays there is a big problem with Opioids in many New England areas, and one of them is Cape Cod. I'm sure the court dockets look much different lately but the Continue Without Finding does sound familiar so that's probably still common.

Re: Just came back from a vacation into the lions den.......
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 26, 2017 11:14AM

LOL. In the summer between my second and third year in law school, I clerked at the Los Angeles County Public Defender's office. There was a Black attorney whose name I regret I have forgotten but I remember him pointing to me and saying to the crowd of other deputy pubic defenders, "You know, that boy has a prosecutorial mind."

So I had that mindset even before that case which took place in my 3rd year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.