HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Have we REALLY turned the corner
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Have we REALLY turned the corner
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 05:18AM

Let's get real. Are we really a play-off calibre team or, the beneficiary of an incredibly easy schedule?
10 wins is impressive and certainly better than what we have been settling for lately but, have we really turned the corner to where we can reasonably expect this every season?
Let's take a look. Out of 10 wins, only one has been against teams with a winning record, Pittsburg.
5 of our wins have come against; Jets (twice), Browns, Rams and, 49ers.
Combined record of 11-49, All certified doormats.
Ajayi had three monster games for us, all wins.
Tannehill and Moore's best games have been against the doormats.
See a pattern?
There's a good reason why we still don't get any respect.
There are no weak teams in the play-offs. If Ajayi has a great game we have a chance otherwise, a quick exit.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2016 07:35AM by Hooligan2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have we REALLY turned the corner
Date: December 29, 2016 05:32AM

Next season we play home games against; Saints, Bucks, Raiders, Broncos and Titans, along with the division regulars.
On the road we play; Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Chiefs and, Ravens, along with the division regulars.
Next year we get a more accurate reflection of where we stand.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2016 07:18AM by Hooligan2.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 08:33AM

You can't make the schedule. I bet you could do that with most of the playoff teams.

I think we have turned the corner if for no other reason that the games we've been winning we lost in the past.

Records don't matter with division games. The last time we swept the jets and bills was 01.

If you can't see a difference in this team then I'm not sure what you've been watching.

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: December 29, 2016 09:21AM

I think we have turned the corner. Gase is a bright, young coach that will only get better with experience. We aren't winning games this year because of some flukey wildcat offense that is unsustainable. There is no smoke and mirrors this year. The Dolphins are winning because all of the players are playing toward a singular goal - win each game one at a time. This offseason, the players will train harder because they will want to repeat this year's success. Free agents will be more inclined to come play for a decent coach in a nice climate. IMO, the future is bright.

Date: December 29, 2016 09:27AM

That's my point, I'm not really sure what I've been watching. Take away Ajayi's three monster games and we're likely back below .500 and nobody is talking play-offs or "coach of the year."
Those three games account for half of his total production for the year so, they are likely the exception, not the rule.

Take a look at the record of our likely opponent in the play-offs, the Steelers, also with a record of 10-5 have won 4 games against teams with a winning record, Redskins, Chiefs, Giants and, Ravens.

The Phins as a whole have not been playing much improved.
Tannehill is at 19 tds, 12 ints, just under 3000 yards with a rating of 93.5.
The main reason we're in the play-offs is Ajayi's 3 very unusual games.

Date: December 29, 2016 09:27AM

Sure feels different to me. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 29, 2016 09:36AM

Sure it feels good. smileys with beer

I'm not a closet jest fan.

I'll be cheering Sunday and every day that the Phins play.
Just not getting my hopes up too high.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 29, 2016 12:26PM

I think the Fins have turned the corner.

They have finally hired a good coach who should be with the team for quite a while. He is smart, keeps the team on the right track, takes no nonsense and dumps players that are not good or have issues, and knows how to deal with QBs.

The team, overall, is good. They have won 10 games this year with injuries everywhere. True, all teams have to go through that, but Gase has held them together.

A healthy 2017 team, with additions (and subtractions), and this team will do some damage. Hopefully, they will give NE a run for their money.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 29, 2016 01:15PM

We have definitely turned a corner of some sort. I think the coaching deserves a lot of the credit. We have almost the same team as last year but they are all playing better, there's a different climate. I too think this team will be even better in 2017. This team has already exceeded my expectations for this season - I thought we wouldn't see what we have going on until next year.

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: December 29, 2016 05:32PM

I think Miami has turned the corner. Next year will be telling if this can be sustained. The team has improved during the season and would probably be doing better if they didn't have so many injuries. They have also beaten team in December when this team have wilted in the last and in particular 2 cold weather away games against the bill and jets. The Dolphins are scoring more points in the 2nd half and that is partial due to coaching adjustments. Philbin, Sparano, and Wannstedt were often out coached by their opponents, especially by the halftime adjustments. I know looking back at the schedule that Miami has beaten what looks to be easy teams, but not all them were easy at the time.

When Miami played SD, it was on the road and both teams were fighting to get into the playoff picture.

Miami essentially eliminated Arizona.

Miami has eliminated the Buffalo Bills, by sweeping them. If the series went the other way Buffalo could be in the playoffs.

Date: December 30, 2016 08:55AM

To the original post the phins and pats had 12 common opponents

NE 10-2
Phins 9-3

We're learned how to win games we're accustomed to losing. To me that's turning the corner.

Here's to continued success in '17!

Happy New Year!

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: December 30, 2016 09:37AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To the original post the phins and pats had 12
> common opponents
>
> NE 10-2
> Phins 9-3
>
> We're learned how to win games we're accustomed to
> losing. To me that's turning the corner.
>
> Here's to continued success in '17!
>
> Happy New Year!

Keep Gase and it will

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 30, 2016 09:46AM

After the first 5 games it sure didn't look like we had much of a team....It appeared we were revisiting a prior year. I saw no real change in game play or any improvement in the new coaching staff over the previous iteration. However...things changed.

Aside from playing teams that were totally hapless, the play on both offense and defense improved allowing us to win games that we would have lost the year or years before.

Honestly, I am not sure whether a corner has been turned, so to speak, but we are certainly near it. When we play better teams next season, if we beat them on a regular basis, the proverbial corner will have been "turned." Are we better than last year? Absolutely. We are getting better, I believe that is obvious. smileys with beer

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 30, 2016 10:23AM

Date: December 30, 2016 11:45AM

One thing that helped was the emergence of "BIG PLAYS" when we needed them. Tackles , interceptions, shots that knocked people out. A first down, a big run it took the pressure off and it put the opposing teams on guard. We have play makers now. Were not missing tackles consistently , it happens but not like in the past. Special teams if off the charts better. People are stepping up.

What causes that? Last time we saw that was when Jimmy Johnson was here. Coaching. Motivation. Not just a stupid sign in the lockeroom. I'm not sure what it is because I'm not in the lockeroom. But I know not every coach has it. I know we haven't had a head coach who motivated people for a long time.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 30, 2016 12:00PM

To the original post the phins and pats had 12 common opponents

NE 10-2
Phins 9-3

That makes it look like we're close except,

The Phins beat one(1) team with a winning record, the pats beat four(4).

Date: December 30, 2016 02:18PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> One thing that helped was the emergence of "BIG
> PLAYS" when we needed them. Tackles ,
> interceptions, shots that knocked people out. A
> first down, a big run it took the pressure off and
> it put the opposing teams on guard. We have play
> makers now. Were not missing tackles consistently
> , it happens but not like in the past. Special
> teams if off the charts better. People are
> stepping up.
>
> What causes that? Last time we saw that was when
> Jimmy Johnson was here. Coaching. Motivation. Not
> just a stupid sign in the lockeroom. I'm not sure
> what it is because I'm not in the lockeroom. But I
> know not every coach has it. I know we haven't had
> a head coach who motivated people for a long time.

RESPONSE: I take it this was a response to the original thread post and not a response to my post about how Matt Moore became the player of the week. They don't give you player of the week as a QB on the basis that your o line and your running back and your defense does great. MVP is based on the performance of the individual.

Date: December 30, 2016 03:49PM

Date: December 30, 2016 04:24PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 30, 2016 04:58PM

No matter what happens, Ryan Tannehill will end the season as our starting QB. Until the team lands an 'A' QB or RT is unable to play because of injury or worse, he'll be our starting QB next season.

We play the Patriots...that game will be of interest to all Dolphins' fans because it is a test on how well the team plays against a top, if not the best NFL team going. Winning that game would be wondrous, staying with them, like Rocky Balboa did in "ROCKY" with Apollo Creed would be a telling sign on what might be on the horizon.

Being in the playoffs is something unexpected and quite exciting. It's something all of us have longed for. We are a far better team than last season and I'll celebrate that fact on New Years. Go Dolphins! smileys with beer

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: December 30, 2016 06:08PM

This team, seems very similar to the 1970 team.New coach takes over a dreadful franchise (3-10-1 in 1969),basically the same team with a young struggling QB and takes them to the playoffs with a 10-4 record (2nd place,earning the wildcard). That team also had a very soft schedule. The teams they beat had a .366 winning % and they beat only 2 teams over .500
Imagine the conversations with today's fans:
That Shula can't win the big games. That QB Griese is just not good enough. Csonka- sure he had a couple of good games, but is he really the answer? We bring in this Little guy from San Diego? He's just a journeyman guard. He won't be any help! No way we beat those mighty colts this week,Sure we are at home, but they are unstoppable! (We won 34-17).
Bottom line: Gase has changed the feel of this team. No longer finding ways to lose. Just like Shula teams, they are finding ways to WIN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 06:09PM by BobT.

Date: December 30, 2016 06:28PM

Date: December 30, 2016 06:32PM

Matt deserves player of the week.came in cold and the Jets like a 12 yrs old beats his Johnson.

Do the Jets suck? Yeah , but it was still a great game.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 30, 2016 07:20PM

Did u start whipping off at 12, Treasure????? For most it is 13. LOL.

Date: December 31, 2016 02:05AM

I see cryinB has hijacked another thread with his matt moore bs.

get over yourself, clown. no one is going to give you a prize for being right so quit trying to prove it on every freaking thread.

Posted by: Dolphin North ()
Date: December 31, 2016 07:41AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> Let's get real. Are we really a play-off calibre
> team or, the beneficiary of an incredibly easy
> schedule?
> 10 wins is impressive and certainly better than
> what we have been settling for lately but, have we
> really turned the corner to where we can
> reasonably expect this every season?
> Let's take a look. Out of 10 wins, only one has
> been against teams with a winning record,
> Pittsburg.
> 5 of our wins have come against; Jets (twice),
> Browns, Rams and, 49ers.
> Combined record of 11-49, All certified doormats.
>
> Ajayi had three monster games for us, all wins.
> Tannehill and Moore's best games have been against
> the doormats.
> See a pattern?
> There's a good reason why we still don't get any
> respect.
> There are no weak teams in the play-offs. If Ajayi
> has a great game we have a chance otherwise, a
> quick exit.

I think you are right, but this roster is far from finished. For me, the big thing this year is that Gase has turned the team's mentality (culture) around. They play hard and you can expect somebody to step up and make a play when it is close. There are still teams that can blow us out due to our areas of weakness and those teams are in the playoffs. Quick exit is very possible, but even if it is quick and ugly, this team has turned around. A couple of years of strengthening the roster and I think we should be tough each week, no matter who we play and no matter how many injuries we have.

Date: December 31, 2016 08:04AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Did u start whipping off at 12, Treasure?????
> For most it is 13. LOL.

More like 9.....My friend had this HOT mom. 13!!? No wonder your so uptight.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 31, 2016 08:29AM

Posted by: finman34 ()
Date: December 31, 2016 08:45AM

I think the better Matt Moore does filling in for Tanny the more likely he will not be here with us next year. He is under contract for another year however I believe that Tanny is and will stay Gases number 1. I think the more success that Moore has right now while filling in will end his time with us.

Out of respect for Moore Miami will likely let him talk to QB needy teams for a trade giving him the opportunity to get one last decent contract to finish his career, give him the opportunity to start somewhere all the while gaining us another draft pick. The better he plays now the more we can get out of him. In that scenario Matt would get the money and opportunity he would want and deserve, we still have our starting qb and we gain a nice draft pick.

Just my opinion but can definitely see it happening the better Matt Moore performs. Maybe Moore tanks this week and in Pitt next and he stays on as back up at his current contract. Otherwise I think he gets traded for his benefit and the Phins benefit as well.

Date: December 31, 2016 09:42AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.