Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bill Parcells on picking Pat White......
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Bill Parcells on picking Pat White......
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:26AM

I heard Charlie Casserly (who said he is BP's best friend) say that last fall BP told him that if Pat White was on the board with our first 2nd round pick he was going to take him no matter who was on the board.

He said BP absolutely loves him and thinks he is what a true football player is.

Ireland make this pick? NO! It was Bill all-the-way! This wasnt a knee-jerk pick.....they wanted this guy since last year!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Parcells on picking Pat White......
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:47AM

It's very hard to argue about a QB that played 40 games and averaged 1,120 rushing yards per year, a 64% completion rate. For his career he had 10,530 yards/103 TD's along with 4 Bowl victories and 3 Bowl MVP's.

06 Sugar Bowl (played in Georgia Dome) W 38-35 over Georgia

07 Gator Bowl W 38-35 over Georgia Tech

08 Fiesta Bowl W 48-28 over Oklahoma (ESPN ranked White's performance in the Fiesta Bowl as the #9 best in BCS bowl game history)

09 Meineke Car Care Bowl W 31-30 over North Carolina

2009 Senior Bowl MVP

But yeah...I guess he was a reach. winking smiley

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 27, 2009 06:02AM

If you want to feel better about this pick ... just imagoine that NE got him with Moss, Welker, and company.

Add to that the flex we get in puting him in the package with a real threat to throw down field, or be a big coverage threat for him running it, or Ronnie running it, and it makes the wilcat pretty scary for defenses to have to spend prep time on.

I didn't care for not getting a quality WR or LB picked, but have concluded that the FO is either going to get a vet in FA or feels what we have is going to break out next year.

The falure to get another LB reduces leverage with JT, but perhaps Roth is enough of a competition to keep the interest.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 06:44AM

INSTEAD their imagining it..... grinning smiley

Date: April 27, 2009 10:20AM

after last years wildcat sucess, and after what i saw me and the big tuna both hit a light and said superbowl PAT WHITE, and of course im the idiot who got laughed at and scolded to no end, but deep down i knew you guys would see the light.

cut it out...plesase
Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 27, 2009 11:11AM

great you called it. you said it. congrats.Good job.

now stop all of this'everyone laughed at me, scolded me' stuff. It just isn't true.

Just because you got into it with a handful of people doesn't mean the rest of us want to CONTINUALLY read about it with every post you make.

keep it to one thread, see who's interested in that topic, if no-one is fighting you...don't start a new one like that.

For the record I never laughed at you, but neither did I think it would happen. I thought they were happy w/ Henne.

Date: April 27, 2009 11:34AM

Well said realist ... I would add to the mix that they probably still are happy with Henne.

Perhaps more so they are not happy with Beck. Only problem is they have now reduced the liklihood of getting any value for him in trade now that they have a glut at the position.

Ditto to the sentiment of being right or that the world was dopwn on anyone for an opinion. yes there are a few that respond more pointedly, but most of the site respects and acknowledges the right to opinion.
- It is a sad day when we all think the same.

I am frankly surprised over the pick (from this FO) and will hopefully be pleasantly crowing over the pick some day in the futre as brilliant ...

The draft IMHO was a true demonstration that teh FO does not telegraph their intentions very much.

A closing thought is that , we may have been taken off our game plan by what NE and other teams picked and then left us.

Date: April 27, 2009 12:48PM

If anything, in two years we end up with a couple of really good QB's that can be traded for a 1st round pick.

.....................................................................................

Re: cut it out...plesase
Posted by: wayne ()
Date: April 27, 2009 02:36PM

realist Wrote:

>
> For the record I never laughed at you, but neither
> did I think it would happen. I thought they were
> happy w/ Henne.

I don't think they are at all unhappy with Henne. Remember these guys love competition. Pat Brings a very different set of skills to the QB position. If nothing else he will keep Henne from thinking he is the annointed one. This is most likely Pennigton's last season and Henne and White will be your top two QB's next season.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:03PM

Makes me think of the days of WoodStrock. Maybe we'll see HennWhite someday?

Re: cut it out...plesase
Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:17PM

oh yes, agreed.

I was just xplaining why I didn't really take the possibility of drafting White seriously.

it just didn't seem like a Parcells move.

But mostly, I am tired of the stream of consciousness posts that overshadow the valuable opinions being expressed.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:40PM

dolphinsnumberonestunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> after last years wildcat sucess, and after what i
> saw me and the big tuna both hit a light and said
> superbowl PAT WHITE, and of course im the idiot
> who got laughed at and scolded to no end, but deep
> down i knew you guys would see the light.

And what about you guaranteeing what are first three picks were,
if I remeber correctly, your number 1 top pick of the dolphins was to be a LB James Laurinaitis, or Willie Williams or was it Mathews or English..... you have alot more predictions that didnt happen then did....I am not impressed.... You were so convinced of an early LB pick if not multiple early LB picks.... Nice work on Sean Smith... but come on guy, you throw enough crap against the wall something is bound to stick.... NO LB early.....you were wrong big time. Just be cool and not some insecure know it all post. Obviously you love football, we all do, enjoy, but layoff picking fights and being a know it all that is trying to spin truth....

Ps- I love the Pat White pick,

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 06:23PM

Surprised the heck out of me.....WTF was my first reaction.....I was thinking with that pick and a 4th that a trade for BOLDIN was going to happen.....we shall see.

Date: April 27, 2009 06:42PM

crowder is taking his anger out on me, not my fault that BILL didnt draft a solid ILB but we good now i guess.

Date: April 27, 2009 06:56PM

The phins are going to expand the wildcat, that is what is going to happen. If you go to the Dolphins website and listen to Harvey Falkov interview White moments after being drafted. He says the Dolphins talk to him from the get go at his pro day and Senior Bowl and all they talked about with him was him playing within the WIdlcat and how similar it was to the misdirection option that he was running in WV. He says flat out in the interview that he knows from the coaching staff the fastest way to contribute and get on the field with the phins is at the wild cat position.....I think the fins saw White as the best guy with the skills to turn the Wildcat upside down and the NFL with it. The WIldcat is limited with Ronnies passing ability, and now you could in sense have ROnnie at RB position in Wildcat, Pat White as QB, Ricky or Ginn as WR in motion or not and Pennington WIde out. It is going to get fun to watch. Defense's will be killed by overpursuit, misdirection, and what defensive scheme to run at all, giving the phins the option to attack where the defense can't defend and always keeping them off balanced. We might see offensive football as we know it revolutionized......or maybe it just has been to long since the last NFL Phins game and I have mid offseason dillusions of grandeur. lol

Date: April 27, 2009 07:01PM

dolphinsnumberonestunner Wrote:
> crowder is taking his anger out on me, not my
> fault that BILL didnt draft a solid ILB but we
> good now i guess.

"Nice work on Sean Smith... but come on guy, you throw enough crap against the wall something is bound to stick.... NO LB early"
..... Obviously you love football, we all do, enjoy, but layoff picking fights and being a know it all that is trying to spin truth....

Hardly anger? If taken that way sorry none ment....this is a discussion board?

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 28, 2009 01:48AM

montequi Wrote:
> Makes me think of the days of WoodStrock. Maybe
> we'll see HennWhite someday?

That's what I was thinking, WoodStrock. Because if you're going to have a wildcat QB, when is Henne on the field? White is not going to make it primarily as a receiver. He has to be a specialty guy and work mainly out of the QB spot. But you have to put him in there a lot to get value out of the pick. So I'm thinking, we're switching back and forth? That kind of thing can undermine the confidence of a QB, and some QB's need the whole game to keep their rhythm. Think about it...a QB sits on the bench until his defense gives him an opportunity to play, and now he has to sit on the bench and share time with another QB.

I'm not sure how all of this will work out, no one is. White was certainly coveted by NE and they would have probably picked him up, but NE is stacked with talent, it's a no brainer for them. We on the other hand, are still rebuilding, and struggling with our offense. Maybe it makes sense, if you're struggling offensively, put in the wildcat. After all, that's why we put it in last year. But I was hoping we'd shore up our base offense, not expand the wildcat.

Belicheck(s) and Cam Cameron talked a lot about the wildcat and from what I understand, Cam along with some other coaches, experimented a little. Belicheck was aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the wildcat system long before we sprung it on him last year. And all the coaches in the league talked about how the type of QB the colleges are producing now are a little farther away from the typical, feet in clay, drop back QB and more toward a running QB and wildcat-incorporated offense. Tim Tebow works a hybrid offense with both traditional and wildcat schemes, and that may be where things are headed. Having a run AND a pass threat is what really gives the single wing it's teeth, and to that extent it's great having White back there throwing instead of Ronnie. But the problem always comes around, that this is not college, this is a tough, mean league with heavyweights, and do you really want your QB running down the field all year? Can White last? Can Tim Tebow do it? In the long run, will this whole system work, is it the future, or just a temporary wrinkle?

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 28, 2009 05:34AM

montequi Wrote:
> Makes me think of the days of WoodStrock. Maybe
> we'll see HennWhite someday?

As long as they don't call it the White Hen!

Date: April 28, 2009 06:02AM

that's almost as bad as the White Cat or the Wild Pat. Those are kind of funny though....

Date: April 28, 2009 07:33AM

Beyond all the good reasons above, just remembered another ... Ronnie Brown is in his last year if I got it right, and thus P. White keeps continuty for his role in the wilcat and adds a new dimension in the passing potential.

Ricky is still there for the pounding runner, and thus less jeopardy for the loss of Ronnie, were he not to be re-signed or if he were traded for a pick.

Date: April 28, 2009 09:49AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Makes me think of the days of WoodStrock.
> Maybe
> > we'll see HennWhite someday?
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>

> Belicheck(s) and Cam Cameron talked a lot about
> the wildcat and from what I understand, Cam along
> with some other coaches, experimented a little.
> Belicheck was aware of the strengths and
> weaknesses of the wildcat system long before we
> sprung it on him last year. And all the coaches
> in the league talked about how the type of QB the
> colleges are producing now are a little farther
> away from the typical, feet in clay, drop back QB
> and more toward a running QB and
> wildcat-incorporated offense. Tim Tebow works a
> hybrid offense with both traditional and wildcat
> schemes, and that may be where things are headed.
> Having a run AND a pass threat is what really
> gives the single wing it's teeth, and to that
> extent it's great having White back there throwing
> instead of Ronnie. But the problem always comes
> around, that this is not college, this is a tough,
> mean league with heavyweights, and do you really
> want your QB running down the field all year? Can
> White last? Can Tim Tebow do it? In the long
> run, will this whole system work, is it the
> future, or just a temporary wrinkle?

Defintely good points about what the "New" College quarterback has become. I just don't get one thing, if Cam and Belicheck were so aware and on top of the wildcat, why did Belicheck let it make him look so foolish in the 4th game of the season. I figure if he was so ready and aware, he would not have let that happen to him by the Phins last year. Belicheck is a proud man, and he was embarrassed. Before that game our offense was known pretty much as a joke.

I also agree that it is important to be more successful in our base offense, then we were last year, especially running. And the wildcat can defintey take the base QB out of rhythm, but also think it can and did spark the offense as well at times. We will have to see, how it goes and if they are able to better run the base offense. But I think that will have alot to do with the Offensive line? and less to do with the widlcat.

Date: April 28, 2009 12:11PM

Did you read the article on the news wire....NFL scout: Pat White can help Miami Dolphins revolutionize the NFL

It said that Bill and Bill sat together at the Senior Bowl and that each knew the others opinion of him whether they would admit to each other or not. They were both there to see Pat White. BP doesn't usually attend the SB but did this year. The draft was a guessing game as to who would take him first. We won.

While the Pats traded up to acquire Ron Brace we stayed where we were and took PW. I was holding my breath when the Pats moved up. I thought they were going to take Pat White and Connor Barwin ahead of us.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:54PM

if you remember we dropped WoodStrock as soon as we got a real QB. What they say is true--if you have 2 QBs you don't really have one. I am happy if either one starts but the 2-headed QB thing is never a good idea.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 28, 2009 03:06PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I just don't get one thing, if Cam and Belicheck were so aware and on
> top of the wildcat, why did Belicheck let it make him look so foolish in the 4th game of the season.

He knew all about it. But his team wasn't prepared. Nobody wanted to go there. No coach wanted to have to prepare their team for something that wasn't a reality yet. Now it is, and now they have to prepare. At least when they play us, anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.