HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          That sound you just heard was the sound of young talent leaving Miami
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: That sound you just heard was the sound of young talent leaving Miami
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 10:07AM

I've been fan longer than that. It's nothing more than a diversion for me.

I just think if the team was that much of a downer for me I'd find something else to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 10:28AM

Date: March 11, 2016 10:31AM

And i bet when the going gets rough......You be one of the first ones to come here bytching and whyning about the team sucking....

Date: March 11, 2016 10:33AM

If you are not pissed off because the team has gotten 85 percent worse than it was last year then you are not paying attention...

We just lost 3 studs and signed 3 duds....

Date: March 11, 2016 10:34AM

I tell you what i will give mario williams the benefit of the doubt....for now.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 11, 2016 11:12AM

most people here have been fans longer than that. Myself=42 years.

Date: March 11, 2016 11:24AM

Ive been a fan for more than 20 years also but of course they fail to see that what i meant to say is that weve sucked for the last 20 years.

There fore youve been a fan the last 20 years so you have to be sick and tired of this team stinking so long.

Date: March 11, 2016 11:27AM

BTW you have to be a diehard fan to still be a fan of this team for the last 20.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 11, 2016 11:33AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Crowder - good points. My biggest beefs are
> losing Miller and Shelby. Like I said, I
> understand losing Vernon after paying big $ for
> Suh. And there really is no room for Matthews on
> this team. Losing Matthews and Vernon were
> business decisions. But I hate losing a solid,
> reasonably price player like Shelby; and I think
> finding a guy to replace Miller is harder than
> some people think. He was very productive when
> given the opportunity. Dolphin brass must really
> like Ajayi.
>
> I know we were 6-10, but we had numerous problems
> that contributed to that, including coaching.
> Getting better as a team usually means keeping as
> many of your improving young players as possible,
> not letting them go.

Shelby is the only one that Miami should have kept this year. Miller and OV should have been extended earlier, but weren't. That is now done.

Miami has an offer sheet signed by C.J. Anderson, who is a good RB. He is coming at an average of $4M per year. There are plenty good RBs in this year's draft, and at 13, Miami could get one of the top two, although, I highly doubt Miami will go RB at 13. If a good one is there in the 2nd....?

On paper and based on past seasons, Miami's recent acquisitions don't look good. Alonso could end up playing every game in 2017 and look like he did during his rookie season. Maxwell could end up being a solid CB. Williams could return to form playing the type of defense he is comfortable in.

What I am saying is we have to wait for the season to see how our new guys will do. We can only hope for the best.

Date: March 11, 2016 11:46AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> jsm08 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You're a very positive person, sam.
>
> If you was a dolphin fan for the last 20 years
> you'd feel the same way.

Maybe Sam, but I've been a Dolphins fan for a lot longer than that and I am not even close to you in negativity.

Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 05:10AM

It is always disappointing when young talent leaves. In some ways that is why I look to teams like the Carolina Panthers and think, yeah, I wish the Dolphins were like that. A team that draft well and extend the talent they want to keep as part of their core going forwards. When you look at their defense that made the Super Bowl they had drafted seven or eight of their starting defense, and offensively they had six starters they drafted and one starter they plucked from undrafted free agency. They have supplemented the roster with sensibly priced free agents like Michael Oher, Ted Ginn, and Roman Harper. I think our front office would be wise to look at how the Carolina Panthers have built their roster and try to put some of that to use here in Miami, because without overspending in free agency, the Panthers have managed to put together a team that should be a contender for seasons to come.

Sadly, I don't think that is going to happen because we seem to be more intent on being off season champions with splashy free agent deals and/or trades to make everyone think that this is going to be our year. I would like to be optimistic and think that our team will be better than .500 this season, however I doubt that will be the case even with a new coaching staff. This off season has shown that this is the same old Miami Dolphins that we have come to know under Stephen Ross' ownership of this team. That is not to say we cannot come together as a team, everything clicks, and we become a play off contender. That could very well happen, but at this point, I think we are facing another .500 or worse season.

Would holding onto drafted players like Miller, Vernon, Matthews, and Shelby make a difference? Probably not, but Miller and Vernon being here long term would have been a big boost to this team. But due to our approach to building this team, I think we will end up seeing more young talent leave unless they change their approach to being one of building through the draft and only bringing in sensibly priced free agents.

Date: March 12, 2016 05:20AM

They were bargain shopping this year. I didn't see ANY "splashy free agent" signings. Big names maybe but not huge price tags as in the past.

Date: March 12, 2016 05:38AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> They were bargain shopping this year. I didn't see
> ANY "splashy free agent" signings. Big names maybe
> but not huge price tags as in the past.

In free agency, not really because we have had our hands tied, but the trade we made for Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso was a splashy move. On the one hand, if those guys revive their careers with us that makes trading down from #8 to #13 worthwhile. But on the other, the trade was a typical Miami Dolphins move - made to create the biggest splash possible.

That's not to say our approach cannot work, but it just seems that this front office seems like it doesn't know what it's doing. They're like the Sacramento Kings. They bring together every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the hope that it takes them to that next level, but like us, they have failed consistently to get to that next level. Maybe our moves this off season will change that trend, but in all honesty this team needs to start forgetting about the splashy moves and take a page out of the Panthers' book. Not blowing it up, but moving towards being a draft orientated team and only making sensible additions in free agency. If we do that, the cap situation will get better. And if we draft well, we should have a better chance of becoming a more consistent and competitive team down the line. As it stands, we'll be lucky to get to .500 this coming season.

Date: March 12, 2016 05:50AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 02:36PM

"Bringing in players and expecting them to be something they have never been. They are investing a lot of faith in players to turn their careers around."

Mario Williams had an all pro year in 2014 and pro bowl in 2015.
Kiko Alonzo was defensive rookie of the year.
Bushrod started for the Saints in the 2009 SB
Maxwell is not a bad corner.

These players have accomplished things that the players we lost have not come close to. Williams and Maxwell played in defensive that did not utilize their strengths in 2015. Im warming up to what the front office is doing here.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 06:12PM

The Philbin regime was a complete disaster for this team. Not only did the team suck, but they have no clue just how good (or not) many of their players really are because of bad coaching/playcalling and poor talent evaluation.

Does Tannehill deserve that big contract? No one knows, because Philbin and the Front Office failed to give him a decent o-line for the past 3 seasons, and Lazor's playcalling was pathetic. But, they gave him a new contract without knowing if he is worth it or not... idiots. Lamar Miller has a good yards-per-rush average, but can he handle being a featured back with 25-30 carries per game? No one knows because Philbin and Lazor refused to let him carry more than 12-15 times per game. Cameron was brought in to be a downfield seam-threat TE, and was used in an offense that mostly throws passes of 9 yards or less (and WAY too many behind the line of scrimmage). People say to cut him because of his poor production. Maybe that poor production is due to a dumb offensive philosophy and no time for the QB to throw downfield without an o-line? Matthews is a decent young WR with too many people ahead of him on the depth chart. Why? Philbin didn't like playing rookies, so he had no idea how good Matthews could be. They kept collecting WRs (Draft, Free Agency, etc.) while Matthews sat in Philbin's doghouse. When he did get a chance to play, he's damn good for a 7th Round pick. Maybe that 1st Round pick spent on Parker could have been better used on a LB or CB if Philbin and the Front Office actually knew what they had on their team. But then again, these are the same guys who drafted Jonathan Martin, got rid of Incognito and Jerry, and thought that Dallas Thomas was starting material. Miami needs CBs bad. They had a few decent ones, but Philbin didn't like them. They had some starting-caliber LBs too, but they're also gone.

At least they didn't overpay for Vernon. He's an undisciplined moron who consistently gets flagged when going after the opposing QB. I wanted Tannenbaum gone, but he's still there. I wanted an experienced Head Coach who would turn them into a tough, physical, old-school team but Ross hired another Philbin. I have no big hopes going into this season because Ross stubbornly refuses to completely clean house.

Date: March 13, 2016 08:29AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> "Bringing in players and expecting them to be
> something they have never been. They are investing
> a lot of faith in players to turn their careers
> around."
>
> Mario Williams had an all pro year in 2014 and pro
> bowl in 2015.
> Kiko Alonzo was defensive rookie of the year.
> Bushrod started for the Saints in the 2009 SB
> Maxwell is not a bad corner.
>
> These players have accomplished things that the
> players we lost have not come close to. Williams
> and Maxwell played in defensive that did not
> utilize their strengths in 2015. Im warming up to
> what the front office is doing here.

By that I mean expecting....

Williams will not get pissed off and quit.

Maxwell will be a consistent CB who doesn't miss tackles and have breakdowns that give up huge chunk yards.

Bushrod will be healthy. 2009 was 7 years ago. He was 25, not 32.

Alonso will not get hurt.

It's the same ole Jeff Ireland BS. Getting flawed players and expecting the coaching staff to fix them.

I am least worried about Mario Williams as I think he will have a chip on his shoulder.

Secondly, I am hoping Alonso is finally over the knee issues. I have been wanting to have a LB like him for far too long.

Date: March 13, 2016 09:07AM

Mario could be a good addition because he should be used to rush the quarterback, which is his strength, compared to how he was used by Rex Ryan last season when he had to drop into coverage.

Maxwell could be a good addition because in Philly he was asked to be a shutdown corner in man coverage. His success in Seattle came from playing in zone coverage, so if that's the system we run, then he could be a good addition because that would help him play to his strengths.

You are right that we are expecting them to turn it around, and while I am reluctant to expect much from them, I can see why they could be good additions to this team because they should be used in a way that plays to their strengths in this defense if we are believe what we are told. If they are played to their strengths, they could end up being good additions. Though at 31 and 28 years old, they are guys that are more win now additions, and if we don't win now and make the play offs, a few seasons from now they could be gone. It's why our roster is a bit mishmash because we have "win now" players mixed with some young players, and that will likely make us too good for a bad pick, but not good enough to compete for the play offs and/or a championship.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 13, 2016 10:31AM

"It's the same ole Jeff Ireland BS. Getting flawed players and expecting the coaching staff to fix them. "

The old coaching staff could not scheme defenses or offenses neither could they develop players. I think this staff will be more successful at both. The front office is going to do what they think is best and Im sure they are consulting w/ the coaching staff on these decisions.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 13, 2016 11:54AM

I'm withholding judgement for 2 reasons:

1. I really don't want to be depressed this soon in the year.

2. I certainly do NOT want to go into the year feeling optimistic and have my bubble burst yet again!

So, I'm neutral on all the moves at this point.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 13, 2016 12:51PM

Date: March 13, 2016 01:11PM

808phan Wrote:
> mizzou15 Wrote:
> -----
>
> "Im warming up to what the front office is doing
> here."
>
> Me too. I think the Dolphins are making calculated
> decisions and being smart for a change with free
> agency. Also seems like coach Gase has more power
> with the front office than we thought he'd have.
> If so I see that as a plus.

The only problem I have in that trade is our trading our #8 to drop to #13. Why? Philly, as we have all seen in the last couple of weeks, has been desperate to dump the players they no longer want (Chip's picks?) along with dumping the big salary (Maxwell moreso than Alonso).

That trade should have seen Miami giving up a #3, not trading places with the #1s.

Date: March 13, 2016 01:13PM

Hmm...Dolphins are interested in Nolan Carroll. Would be interesting to see this former Dolphin return.

Date: March 13, 2016 01:24PM

captkoi Wrote:
> 808phan Wrote:
> -----
> > mizzou15 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > "Im warming up to what the front office is
> doing
> > here."
> >
> > Me too. I think the Dolphins are making
> calculated
> > decisions and being smart for a change with
> free
> > agency. Also seems like coach Gase has more
> power
> > with the front office than we thought he'd
> have.
> > If so I see that as a plus.
>
> **************************************************
> ******
>
> The only problem I have in that trade is our
> trading our #8 to drop to #13. Why? Philly, as we
> have all seen in the last couple of weeks, has
> been desperate to dump the players they no longer
> want (Chip's picks?) along with dumping the big
> salary (Maxwell moreso than Alonso).
>
> That trade should have seen Miami giving up a #3,
> not trading places with the #1s.

I look at it this way Cap - We got two players who can start with our #8 pick and still have a #13. Not a bad deal IMO. Still better than moving up to #3 and drafting a dud like Dion Jordan who contributed absolutely nothing. We literally wasted our 1st round pick with that chump, it's like we didn't even have one.

Date: March 13, 2016 01:32PM

808phan Wrote:
> captkoi Wrote:
> -----
> > 808phan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > mizzou15 Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > >
> > > "Im warming up to what the front office is
> > doing
> > > here."
> > >
> > > Me too. I think the Dolphins are making
> > calculated
> > > decisions and being smart for a change with
> > free
> > > agency. Also seems like coach Gase has more
> > power
> > > with the front office than we thought he'd
> > have.
> > > If so I see that as a plus.
> >
> >
> **************************************************
>
> > ******
> >
> > The only problem I have in that trade is our
> > trading our #8 to drop to #13. Why? Philly, as
> we
> > have all seen in the last couple of weeks, has
> > been desperate to dump the players they no
> longer
> > want (Chip's picks?) along with dumping the big
> > salary (Maxwell moreso than Alonso).
> >
> > That trade should have seen Miami giving up a
> #3,
> > not trading places with the #1s.
>
> I look at it this way Cap - We got two players who
> can start with our #8 pick and still have a #13.
> Not a bad deal IMO. Still better than moving up to
> #3 and drafting a dud like Dion Jordan who
> contributed absolutely nothing. We literally
> wasted our 1st round pick with that chump, it's
> like we didn't even have one.

Sorry 808phan, when I said #3, I didn't mean a trade up; I was talking about the 3rd round. That's the problem with the written word. :-(

True, we got two players who can start....maybe. Maxwell did not have a good year last year, for whatever reason. Alonso got hurt (again). Now, if both play up to their skill level, esp Alonso, then Miami's drop to 13 will be a great trade. If not...

Then again, if our pick turns into a stud, again, it would have been worth it.

The Miami brass is putting a lot of faith that things will work out as you said, phan.

Hope you and the FO are right.

Date: March 14, 2016 04:26AM

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: March 14, 2016 05:26AM

Date: March 14, 2016 05:51AM

I find it very hard to disagree with anything in that article.

Well, maybe one thing. Calling Chris Grier a GM. He's was a puppet put in place so Tannenbaum could continue to play FF.

Departing from by original outburst, I do like Adam Gase the more I learn about him....or maybe I just like the fact that I don't have to watch Philbin walking around picking up trash around the facility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 05:53AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: March 14, 2016 06:47AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I find it very hard to disagree with anything in
> that article.
>
> Well, maybe one thing. Calling Chris Grier a GM.
> He's was a puppet put in place so Tannenbaum could
> continue to play FF.
>
> Departing from by original outburst, I do like
> Adam Gase the more I learn about him....or maybe I
> just like the fact that I don't have to watch
> Philbin walking around picking up trash around the
> facility.

Thanks Joe. We'll learn more about Gase once the preseason begins. I really hope he's the real deal.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 14, 2016 07:05AM

We did lose some young players but just because they're in their prime doesn't mean you overpay to keep them. RBs are dime a dozen and Lamar has never proven he can be a 20-25 carry per game back.

Matthews is a #3 or 4 WR. You can't pay everybody.

I read a good article about Reese spending to keep his job. Coughlin took the fall this year and Reese is on the hot seat this year so he went nuts in FA.

Comparing what he got this year to what was spent last year he could have had Suh and Revis instead of Vernon and Janoris Jenkins. I think that kind of puts the market into perspective.

Just because Vernon got a huge contract doesn't make him an elite player.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.