HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Vance Joseph hired as new DC
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Vance Joseph hired as new DC
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 18, 2016 10:46AM

The Dolphins have hired Adam Gase, former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator, as their new head coach; begin to fill out their coaching staff:

New Hires:

Defensive Coordinator: Vance Joseph
Linebackers Coach: Matt Burke
Tight Ends Coach: Shane Day
Offensive Line Coach: Chris Foerster
Wide Receivers Coach: Shawn Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 19, 2016 05:30AM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> samsam3738 Wrote:
>
> > Now back to: Vance Joseph hired as new DC
>
>
> Now this is the hire that scares me. Joseph has
> never been a DC before, ever. Not even for a two
> bit no name college team. Kevin Coyle was a DC for
> 5 different college teams and he still sucked.

I think you can have success as a coach as long as you know the game. I think you will not have continued success unless you are capable of evolving AND unless you follow the philosophy of "building the scheme around your personnel". That was Coyle's fatal flaw IMO. He was too stubborn and expected the player to adapt.

Hopefully VJ is different. I suspect he is, as that seems to be the philosophy of the HC that hired him. Joseph was also in the cross-hairs of the other top HC'ing candidate, Hue Jackson. I suspect Joseph was skeptical of Cleveland.

He must have something or he wouldn't have been Denver's choice OVER Wade Phillips last year as DC.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 19, 2016 08:55AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Capkoi we have been down through the same road so
> many times that im pessimistic about how its all
> going to turn out.
>
>
> Hopefully its all for the best finnally.
>
>
> One day we have to get it right.
>
>
> All iam hoping is that gase is here for the next
> 30 years meaning he will be successfull as the
> miami dolphins head coach.

I know what you are saying, Sam, and I also, at the beginning of every season, only hope Miami plays well and is at least in every game. I don't expect them to win the AFC East; I just want them to play well and hopefully win enough games that we finally get in the playoffs. That hasn't happened in a long time.

There were quite a few posters here that at the beginning of last season were all hyped up at the roster and how Miami is finally going to break through. I didn't see it that way and voiced my feelings about that. I wasn't asked directly by a poster or two, but the question was posed as to why I (and some others) had a negative response to what some thought the Fins would do.

I answered that we have seen this before, many times in fact. I always stated that I would never abandon my Dolphins as I have been with them forever. I just wasn't about to be disappointed anymore. Hopefully, they would surprise me, but it was still the same old Fins (except this year a little worse).

Anyway, as the season wore on, I gave my opinion on how poorly the team played and pointed out certain players for that week who could have done much better. I never put the onus on just one player; I said on many occasions that this is a team game.

What I was trying to say for the upcoming season is that we have to give the new regime a chance. We can't just say that the new coaching hires won't work. They just got hired, so how can we say it won't work? I advocated, as did others, that Miami should go with someone who is an up-and-comer who has had HC experience (in the vein of Carroll). At the least, talk to Harbaugh and Mora. And...why didn't Miami even attempt to interview Coughlin? That's why I was saying Tannebaum didn't do what he said he was going to do.

Gase just may be the guy. Shula turned out to be the guy for Baltimore. We can only hope.

Date: January 19, 2016 09:30AM

Unless we win free agency AND the draft FOR ONCE, we will be no better than 8-8 even WITH good coaching.

Hopefully Chris Grier gets "it".

After clearing out a large portion of the roster, we will have NO choice but to be aggressive in FA this year. They must get it right.

We need a starting DT, DE, DE, MLB, CB, FS on defense and....

LG, RG, TE & RB on offense.

We will be EXTREMELY lucky to hit on 3 of those spots in the draft. That leaves 7 starters to find in FA.

This is a HUGE long shot! I don't care if Gase and Co AND Ryan Tannehill play and coach their butts off.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 19, 2016 10:15AM

Date: January 19, 2016 10:26AM

Colonel Quote: I know that all of us, even SamSam hopes for a miraculous turn around.

Even samsam?

You make it sound like im the bad guy.

Im just frustrated like a lot of others here.

Date: January 19, 2016 10:41AM

Well, I took the bait last year....let's see if they can sucker me in again in 2016.

They may have a good chance to do that if they......

Cut:

Earl Mitchell, Brent Grimes, Koa Misi, Quinton Coples, Greg Jennings

Restructure:

Cam Wake, Jordan Cameron

Sign:

CB Josh Norman
RB Lamar Miller
DT Damon Harrison
LG Kelechi Osemele
DE Olivier Vernon

Draft

Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, Vernon Hargreaves, Joey Bosa, Ronnie Stanley

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 19, 2016 01:14PM

It'll all depend on how good a coach Gase is.

If he's Dan Campbell, we'll be successful.

If he's Joe Philbin, we'll tank.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 20, 2016 09:46AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Unless we win free agency AND the draft FOR ONCE,
> we will be no better than 8-8 even WITH good
> coaching.
>
> Hopefully Chris Grier gets "it".
>
> After clearing out a large portion of the roster,
> we will have NO choice but to be aggressive in FA
> this year. They must get it right.
>
> We need a starting DT, DE, DE, MLB, CB, FS on
> defense and....
>
> LG, RG, TE & RB on offense.
>
> We will be EXTREMELY lucky to hit on 3 of those
> spots in the draft. That leaves 7 starters to find
> in FA.
>
> This is a HUGE long shot! I don't care if Gase and
> Co AND Ryan Tannehill play and coach their butts
> off.

Ya know Joe, there are many folks, both here on the board and also in the Media (Armando from the Herald) who advocate taking a QB every year until Miami gets it right. I agree, up to a point. Armando suggested to take a QB in the first round of this year's draft if the Miami brass has a QB as their top rated player on the board.

I'm not too sure that is the way to do it, with all the needs Miami will have. Saying that, Armando did throw out there that Miami does have a lot of holes to fill, and many would question him on his suggestion to picking a QB first.

Can the fins truly afford to choose a QB that high? I have been saying to maybe draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round. Realizing that Miami won't be sniffing the playoffs for at least two years, maybe the second round would be a good spot for a QB, IF the guy is at the top of Miami's board. The top two QBs will definitely NOT be there at Miami's pick in the second, but if the third best QB is there....

Date: January 20, 2016 10:04AM

I agree. If there was an Andrew Luck type guy out there, I would be going after him, even if it meant trading up. I don't see a clear cut top guy this year and would debate that one is worthy of an 8 pick.

We cannot afford the gamble as someone like Cleveland can since they have absolutely nothing at QB. They HAVE to take one.

We still don't know what we have after 4 years.

I would draft one but I just want value where I get him.

Date: January 20, 2016 11:28AM

I agree that there is no sense in taking a QB in the first round or even the second. I think Cody Kessler USC, once a Heisman prospect, can be had at Tom Brady draft position, or at least third round, and might turn out to be another Tom Brady. So why spend high when you can draft low and see Tanny compete with a College QB and if the College QB outshines Tanny in the Pro set pocket QB offense Miami has been trying to force Tanny into for years, then ............

Date: January 21, 2016 04:14AM

I've given up on trying to predict which QB will be great. It's a total crap shoot...let alone in the 6th round.

Also, for the first time, I think we will be running an offense tailor made for Tannehill as opposed to any traditional pocket QB offense. He will get one a one year (10 game) try out before anything drastic is done at QB. His contract dictates that.

That being said, what type of offense would one project for Adam Gase?

He is most influenced by his mentor, Mike Martz. While Martz preached a pass first offense with a strong running game to eat the clock after a lead was secured...AS a HC, he often tried to force that philosophy on his players even when he didn't have the right personnel. His O was a take=off of Air Coryell.

That's where the difference will come in, IMO.

I don't think that philosophy fits our personnel. I would look for us to have whatever RB heavily involved in the passing game ala Marshall Faulk. We don't have that talent on-hand so maybe we go after a guy like Matt Forte instead of handing out big money to Lamar Miller, who isn't really a natural pass catcher...Or maybe they think they can make him better in that aspect. He is certainly younger and explosive enough compared to a 30 year old FA.

I think we will see a similar offense with a slightly different philosophy overall. Same routes, reads and language as Martz but tailored to be more run oriented. Run to set up the pass. More RB screens, deep WR passes and hopefully much less WR screens.

Of course all of this will depend on if they can fix the pass protection, get some pulling guards and re-sign Lamar Miller or another RB. Jay Ajayi caught 50 passes his last season at Boise. He needs work though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 05:20AM by JoeFootball.

Date: January 21, 2016 05:39AM

Quote: Also, for the first time, I think we will be running an offense tailor made for Tannehill

We said that last year.

Date: January 21, 2016 07:22AM

DC's that Vance Joseph coached under....

Bill Davis 3-4
Mike Nolan/Greg Manusky 3-4 hybrid
Wade Phillips 3-4
Marvin Lewis/Paul Guenther 4-3

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 21, 2016 10:05AM

"Word is Suh runs the D-line room."

Where did you hear this? I have heard just the opposite from multiple sources. It is said that he is looked on as a 'mercenary' and so doesn't have much respect or clout in the locker room. The 'word' I have heard is that he pretty much isolates himself from the rest of the team and makes enough guaranteed money to do what he wants.

Rick

Date: January 21, 2016 10:27AM

This is logic?!? I suppose that if you define the statements and can sell them as proved, you can manipulate the conclusion. This is the definition of "fuzzy logic", and good lawyers are masters at it. I have noted your tendency to use this technique before.

Rick

Date: January 21, 2016 11:04AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> This is logic?!? I suppose that if you define the
> statements and can sell them as proved, you can
> manipulate the conclusion. This is the definition
> of "fuzzy logic", and good lawyers are masters at
> it. I have noted your tendency to use this
> technique before.

Who in the Hell are you talking to, Rick?

At the very least "logic" would dictate that you relate such a reply to either a specific post.......or at least quote language to which you think this harsh comment replies.

Date: January 21, 2016 11:16AM

Everyone get under the desks.......Books and erasers are about to fly...

FOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOD FIGHT.

I love this board.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 22, 2016 01:29AM

Look at Indianapolis primarilly and to a lesser degree, Denver and New England, if you want to see what offense we'll run in 2016...

That said, they'll do everything they can do to keep Miller as he'd be an asset in any of those offensive schemes. Quality blocking as always, will be they key to it's success.

Date: January 22, 2016 09:27AM

You obviously know who I am talking to, ChyrenB.

Rick

Date: January 22, 2016 10:29AM

Date: January 23, 2016 08:06AM

Ah, misdirection. Let's talk about what else you posted.

"FootballGod, here's an exercise in logic, if your team is sh*tty (and there can be no doubt ours is) and this is a chatboard posting about the condition of your team, how can you logically post anything but "about how sh*tty your team is"???????????"

"here's an exercise in logic"
well, not really, but maybe you can sell it as such.

"if your team is sh*tty (and there can be no doubt ours is)"
you use your personal opinion as a an argument, though I don't see much anaytical reasoning here.

"and this is a chatboard posting about the condition of your team,"
A very narrow and certainly incomplete definition of this site.

"how can you logically post anything but "about how sh*tty your team is"???????????"

totally fallacious and the very definition of "fuzzy logic".

Interesting, in that if your "exercise in logic" and your misdirection do not garner agreement, you devolve into a personal attack.
Actually, I probably wouldn't have bothered to comment on this with most of the posters on this site because they wouldn't have any idea what I'm talking about.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 08:13AM by dolphan4545.

Date: January 23, 2016 09:06AM

Date: January 23, 2016 09:12AM

Date: January 23, 2016 09:17AM

Date: January 23, 2016 09:21AM

Date: January 23, 2016 09:26AM

Date: January 23, 2016 09:56AM

Are you saying that we would be successful WITH Dan Campbell?
I like him too, and I think we might win with him at the helm, but not now. I think he's much too green to be successful now. I don't want to muddle through a couple more painful seasons waiting for him to mature. That being said, I hope I don't have to muddle through a couple more painful seasons waiting for this new group to mature. I have hope, as I always do.

Rick

Date: January 23, 2016 09:57AM

Date: January 23, 2016 10:27AM

"Lamar Miller, who isn't really a natural pass catcher"

I'm not really convinced that he doesn't have this ability. They haven't really used him that way, usually the passes in the flats go to the wide- or slot receivers. Everything I read about him, in college and also in the pros, characterizes his pass-catching ability as "excellent'. I never thought he was a between-the-tackles type of back anyway, even though that's how they -sparingly- used him and he has been effective in that role at times. I think that if we use Ajayi or acquire a big back to work the middle of the defense, Miller is very effective in space either by flats passes or by perimeter runs, and I think he should be primarily used this way. If we can afford it, I think we should try to keep him. You're not doing your team any good by letting proven productive players walk away just because you can't figure how to use his talents most effectively.

Rick

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.