HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Osweiler Redux
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Osweiler Redux
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 30, 2015 09:12AM

Poll
32 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Can you say that Osweiler would better than Tanny

Just from watching Osweiler last night on MNF, could you say that he would not be a 100% improvement over Tannehill who was drafted in the same draft as the 3rd QB in the first round while Osweiler was not drafted until a later round And Kirk Cousins was drafted in the same year as both?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2015 07:02PM by ChyrenB.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poll: Can you seriously say that
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 09:48AM

I voted that i would like to see him behind our Oline first.

I would like to see osweiler for a few games before i can compare the two.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 30, 2015 12:10PM

I didn't vote because I can't choose either option.

At the moment, yes, Oz is playing better than RT, but he has a slightly better OL (good pass pro and they were opening up the running lanes). And Denver's defense is way better than Miami's, so that gives OZ a better crack and getting things done. The team also doesn't get penalized even close to what Miami does at critical times.

Date: November 30, 2015 01:56PM

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 03:49PM

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 03:52PM

Only voted because my reply wouldn't post until I did.

I didn't get to watch the game last night, but I did read this morning and the Kubiak spent quite some time talking about how many hits his QB was taking and that he can't have that continue to happen. So the Broncos OL was apparently horrible last night, regardless of official sack total.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 30, 2015 05:00PM

If Osweiller is, ultimately, successful, it will lend credence to the model of having a QB sit behind the starter for several years and learn from him. It worked for Aaron Rodgers.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: November 30, 2015 08:24PM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Osweiller is, ultimately, successful, it will
> lend credence to the model of having a QB sit
> behind the starter for several years and learn
> from him. It worked for Aaron Rodgers.

Oh I firmly believe it helps. Especially when you have a QB like our Laugh-ins do who didn't know what NFL team was in what division the day he was drafted. Seriously? Is our QB that stupid or did he simply not have enough passion for the game of football in itself? Shit, when my son was in Pop-Warner he knew more about the NFL than Excusehill did during college.

Date: December 01, 2015 04:03AM

Can someone here seriously tell me that you can compare the two qbs and make a judgement by just watching osweiler play a single game?

Yes he had a good game.

But even tannehill has had great games at times.

Remember the texans and tenessee games?

I know he went against new england but so what?

Its just one game.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 01, 2015 04:37AM

Well samsam, to be fair, the Texans and Titans aren't exactly the Undefeated Patriots. No, you can't judge him by one game. But a lot of the same people saying that are also trying to say we can't judge Hennehill by 4 years of games...IDK, maybe we need to make a 'safe zone' for Dolphin QB's where nothing negative can be said about them spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 01, 2015 04:42AM

Date: December 01, 2015 05:25AM

Btw pouncey is hurt...........So look forward to a more enjoyable sunday against the ravens.

This year every possible thing that can go wrong, has gone wrong

wake hurt
firing of the coaches
tannehill has played the worst he has played in a 5 year span
The Oline playing as bad as ive seen them
2 safeties in two weeks

At the least the year that we went 1-15 we were in a lot of those games.

This year you can tell we are going to lose. From the beginning of the game.

Not good.

Date: December 01, 2015 05:32AM

One of the worst teams stopping the run.

One of the worst teams running the football.

It seems like a domino effect.

All the penalties when we get a sack or make a good play.

We were destined to stink this year.

And like i say every year:

" Maybe next year will be different"

Date: December 01, 2015 06:38AM

Also thank you for letting me vent.

I get very upset everytime we lose. And when i express my frustrations here, it relaxes me.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 01, 2015 08:43AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 01, 2015 08:51AM

808phan Wrote:

> We're headed for
> Sparano 2.0 as Campbell has stated he supports 2
> yards and a cloud of dust.eye rolling smiley
> >
> >

But don't we actually need to complete a running play in the first place, in order to get the 2 yards? We hardly run the ball at all!

Date: December 01, 2015 01:46PM

They said Lazors refusal to run the ball, despite Campbells orders to RUN it is what got him kicked out on the turnpike North with $10 on a EZ Pass card..........

Campbell even publically stated that Tannehill will roll out and run more often. Didn't happen and I read there were heated exchanges between lazor and Campbell.

Oh well.....the train has been delayed folks. But next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 01, 2015 02:17PM

You guys better be glad that I don't run the team because if Denver drafts or trades for a better backup for Peyton and if Osweiler finds himself on the street...................that second that Osweiler finds himself on the street WILL TURN OUT TO BE THE SECOND BEFORE I would sign him in Miami and Tannehill would find himself on the street.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 01, 2015 05:25PM

Chryren stated

"I have no doubt that Tanny could go to either Seattle, SF, or Washington and probably make all Pro."

Seattle's OL is worse than ours, and their receivers are pedestrian smiling smiley Russell just reacts and reads D better, and can hit receivers deep

Phins will have to realize he liklely isnt the guy. A new coach with power may tell them that

Date: December 01, 2015 05:46PM

jlyell, I think he would do better because the plays run by Seattle play closer to Tanny's talent skills.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 01, 2015 07:14PM

Not sure. I think his decision making, pocket presence and lack of deep ball accuracy would be an issue most places

Date: December 01, 2015 09:23PM

Well, that would be my best last hope for him.

Date: December 02, 2015 03:21AM

I still have faith in Tannehill. New offensive coordinator, better blocking, plays aimed at his skill set
the sky is the limit.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 02, 2015 05:05AM

I have not really seen Tannehill, 'scramble' ala Tarkenton or Wilson. He can run but thats different from 'scrambling'. When you 'scramble' you have to keep eyes downfield, just like when you stand in the pocket. No doubt, Tannehill is looks better rolling out but 1.) he really dosen't do it that much, and 2.) those are by design and won't work on a regular basis as the other team will be ready for it.

I'd like to see our new OC TRY to scramble him more. I was struck Sunday by the number of times he was sacked/hurried/hit by ONE rusher. Even Marino could step away from a lone rusher...a mobile QB should be able to and if you think even the best O Line is going to pick up every single rusher, every single time you're kidding yourself. My fear is its the same as pocket presence thing. He doesn't seem to have that peripheral vision or 6th sense or what ever you want to call it to 'feel' the rusher while still seeing the field. Scramble the boy, we NEED to know, to me thats the last hope.

Date: December 02, 2015 09:52AM

kB, Tanny is not a scrambler and would not be good at it. A roll out QB and a scrambler, like Bob Griese was at Purdue or Fran Tarkenton was, are two different things. I heard a little from your post that you get that but other parts suggest that you don't agree. Tanny does a poor version of scrambling when the pocket collapses in that he always goes back and loses more yardage.

Date: December 02, 2015 10:12AM

Chyren, I just don't see him doing much in a read option. For two reasons. 1.) Read Option requires 'sensing' the defense, when to pitch, when not to. Why do you think he'll be any better at that then he is at sensing the rush? and 2.) That whole thing has kind of passed IMHO.

Wilson ran the read option early on, now hes a scrambler. RGIII got killed trying to run it, Kapernick...well... Even big old fullback/tight end sized Cam Newton got hurt trying to go with a lot of planned read option type plays. Now hes a pocket passer who will occasionally take off ala Mike Vick. Like the Wildcat, the NFL defenses have figured it out.

If we 'Roll' him out, teams will figure that out too. its not a permanent solution. Shula/Marino used designed roll outs against the '85 Bears and their ferocious pass rush. It knocked them off balance. But later in the game they spread out their blitzers to account for it. Then he went back to the pocket and picked them apart. You and I both know Tannehill isn't gonna pick anybody apart from the pocket.

I think he's better (not great but better) on the move. You've said you think the same. We keep hearing how he was 'kept' in the pocket, So I just say, GIVE him the green light to scramble. Lets see if he can. If he can't I don't see him to be a starting NFL QB three years from now.

Date: December 02, 2015 10:16AM

Well, there is a difference between scramble and roll out. I disagree that Tanny IS (and I say is because we have run options before) the same "deer in the headlights" as he is in the pocket. When he rolls out, he is decisive, quick to act (whether to run or pass) and deadly accurate on the throw.

You know back in the 40's all of you guys (or your equivalent in that day) used to talk down the forward pass as gimmicktry.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 02, 2015 11:22AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> You guys better be glad that I don't run the team
> because if Denver drafts or trades for a better
> backup for Peyton and if Osweiler finds himself on
> the street...................that second that
> Osweiler finds himself on the street WILL TURN OUT
> TO BE THE SECOND BEFORE I would sign him in Miami
> and Tannehill would find himself on the street.

Sorry, Chryen, that much money will not be put on the street.

Date: December 02, 2015 11:25AM

Chren you would sign osweiler based on just one game? LOL.

Date: December 02, 2015 11:58AM

One game in comparison to the many I have suffered watching Tannehill, LOL, and one game against the Patriots WHO HAVE WHIPPED US LIKE WE WERE CREAM and also with the knowledge that every other draft QB in that class, with the possible exception of Weeden has done far better than what you call the "WET FIRECRACKER".....LOL, or have you forgotten that.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.