HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tannenbaum new VP of football Operations
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tannenbaum new VP of football Operations
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 07, 2015 04:38AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 07, 2015 04:42AM

It doesn't bother me as much as it did yesterday Chris, but it's still a bit of a head scratcher at best.

The one silver lining could be, if Philbin and Hickey got desperate to win next year and tried to go bat sh.t crazy in free agency by over paying for a bunch of aging vets, maybe a football czar who's fate isn't necessarily tied to there's would step in and save this franchise from future cap hell. A guy who has the long term future in sight as well as the immediate future. He could also do us all a huge favor and intervene on firing Coyle as well. (I know Philbin has control over his staff and answers to Ross, but still......)

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 07, 2015 04:50AM

Well, this should be interesting, to say the least. Tannebaum's background was as a capologist and then transitioned into GM/Personnel. He says Hickey will maintain FULL CONTROL over the draft and the roster but everyone will continue to work together leading up to the draft. MT is reported to not be very confident in his own personnel evaluations so at least he recognizes his weakness.

He took over the Jets when they were over the cap by 25 mil. Hired a new GC (Mangini) and turned the roster over. He released Kevin Mawae, Ty Law and some others as well as tagging John Abraham and later trading him for a 1st round pick (29) in which he used to draft Nick Mangold. He also took D'Brickashaw Ferguson at 4. Both have been stalwarts on the line for several years. The only other real player of note was Leon Washington from that draft. They went 10-6 and did make the playoffs after going 4-12 the previous year.

In 2007 he traded some picks to move up to draft Darrell Revis and also took David Harris. I believe they swapped their 2nd for a 3rd and Thomas Jones from the Bears. They ended up drafting only 4 players. They went 4-12.

This is about the time I believe the owner got very involved and they formed the "all-in" strategy.

In 2008 they retained Mangini. Having cleared much cap space, Tannenbaum was VERY active in FA. He signed guard, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody (who switched to RT) and Calvin Pace. He also signed Bubba Franks and Ty Law and let Chad Pennington walk. In the draft he had acquired two first round picks and used them on bust Vernon Gholston and Dustin Keller and Nate Garner in the 7th. He gave yp a 3rd and 5th for Kris Jenkins, sent Jon Vilma to the Saints for a 4th and Dewayne Robertson to Denver for an 09 pick. he gave up a 4th for Brett Favre. Bad draft, lots of moves. 9-7 and missed the playoffs (thanks to the Dolphins!).

2009: Hired Rex Ryan.

Draft: Had only 3 picks. MT traded their first and second-round picks, defensive end Kenyon Coleman, safety Abram Elam, and quarterback Brett Ratliff to the Cleveland Browns for that were used on Mark Sanchex Also took Shonn Greene and Matt Slauson.

Trades: Acquired Lito Sheppard and Braylon Edwards.

3 of MT's former draft picks made the Pro Bowl as well as newly acquired Faneca and David Harris.

Jets made AFC Championship game with rookie QB.

2010: Traded for Antonio Cromatie and Santonio Holmes. Made AFC Champ game again. Got extensions for himself and Rex.

Well...I think you know the rest. All down hill from here. Fired after 2012 season.

I'm sure he has learned SOMETHING from his mistakes and if you believe it, he will not be meddling much in the roster and not sure AT ALL why Hickey is answering to him. Maybe Dennis is just not experienced in all the other day to day operations...if you believe the rumors.

MT is said to be hiring a "sports performance director" which probably isn't a bad thing.

I'm not sure why the move was made and it does seem very odd and convoluted but the sky hasn't fallen yet.

All we can do is sit back and watch and hopefully we draft and sign some Pro Bowl talent this year.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 07, 2015 06:27AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesn't bother me as much as it did yesterday
> Chris, but it's still a bit of a head scratcher at
> best.
>
> The one silver lining could be, if Philbin and
> Hickey got desperate to win next year and tried to
> go bat sh.t crazy in free agency by over paying
> for a bunch of aging vets, maybe a football czar
> who's fate isn't necessarily tied to there's would
> step in and save this franchise from future cap
> hell. A guy who has the long term future in sight
> as well as the immediate future. He could also do
> us all a huge favor and intervene on firing Coyle
> as well. (I know Philbin has control over his
> staff and answers to Ross, but still......)

The optics aren't good, regardless of how Tannenbaum tried to spin it yesterday. I don't have a problem with Tannenbaum per se, just how Ross positioned him. He hasn't done anything to merit such high consideration IMO and demoting Hickey was totally uncalled for.

Time will tell of course. Now Dawn Aponte will have to deal with Tannenbaum, which could be problematic for Hickey especially in free agency and with deals.

If Hickey disagrees with Aponte and Tannenbaum on a deal, does he do what he thinks is right anyway and risk pissing off his boss and Aponte? Will Tannenbaum and Aponte respect Hickey's decisions if they don't agree with them?

Bottom line is this: Hickey controls the draft and the roster, but Tannenbaum now controls Hickey. Tannenbaum, isn't exactly the font of personnel expertise and I don't trust him to make good personnel decisions for the Dolphins.

Date: January 07, 2015 07:16AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 07, 2015 07:32AM

I told you this jack ass clown Ross has more allegiance to NY than Miami! Do you need more proof???

Just what we need. More trash from NY.

Sorry if you're "regionally offended," but seriously WTF is up with all these NE and NY clowns dealing with OUR FRANCHISE!

Oh yea, I forgot. It's not our franchise. The teams just happen to be in certain market areas as a matter of BUSINESS! It has ZERO to do with fan loyalty, community, or anything other than M Oh N E WHY!

Date: January 07, 2015 08:58AM

This is basically the same structure that the Redskins just implemented in Washington.

Scot McLaughlan is the new GM with full control of the roster and he reports to Bruce Allen, the former GM, now President.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 07, 2015 09:30AM

Date: January 07, 2015 10:33AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 07, 2015 11:19AM

Well they apparently had to change the reporting structure to comply with the stupid rooney rule.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 07, 2015 11:25AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Unbelievable...

Very, very sloppy. As Vince Lombardi once said, "What the hell is going here?!?"

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 07, 2015 04:05PM

this is all so pathetic. I can handle losing on the field b/c things can always improve in the draft, coaches can be fired, etc. but when the owner is so embarassingly incompetent, how can you have any hope things will ever get better while this clown is in charge??

Date: January 08, 2015 04:37AM

Date: January 08, 2015 05:19AM

Ross' answer reminds me of just throwing shit against the wall...

Hire a tribal NY loyalist to appease the village idiots

Appear to be "proactive."

Since Hickey did a solid job -- embarrass him and undermine his credibility.

Roll the franchise in more muck to make sure the "loser tag" sticks.

Sell the team at the bottom of the trash heap and return to NY a hero!

Have Central Park renamed Clown Central.

And so forth. And so on.

The Clown Show rolls on...

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 08, 2015 06:19AM

Date: January 08, 2015 06:36AM

Then there's this.....

Chris Kouffman ?@ckparrot 8m8 minutes ago
I was warned by about five different people when Hickey took the job that he's terrible dealing with subordinates and some peers.

Chris Kouffman ?@ckparrot 11m11 minutes ago
There's some mystery subtext in all this Tannenbaum stuff. Hickey did something to piss people off, IMO. Or a lot of things.

Maybe there's a reason he spent 20+ years in Tampa Bay without getting an interview for their GM spot last year?

Date: January 08, 2015 07:00AM

I am not familair but what's the credibility/background of Chris Kouffman?

Hopefully more than the self proclaimed "draft expert" from bleacher report & Universaldraft.com ?

It's not uncommon to spend that much time behind the scenes. Look at Chris Grier and many of the new GM candidates. Grier started in NE 20 years ago. Brian Gaine, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 07:06AM by JoeFootball.

Date: January 08, 2015 07:06AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I am not familair but what's the
> credibility/background of Chris Kouffman?
>
> Hopefully more than the self proclaimed "draft
> expert" from bleacher report & Universaldraft.com
> ?

He writes stuff on the internet.......so it must be true

Date: January 08, 2015 07:06AM

Haha. I was just editing my post.

Date: January 08, 2015 07:36AM

All joking aside, I really don't know if he's credible or not, just floating another theory out there.

Date: January 08, 2015 07:58AM

I can tell you that pecker parrot dude is imminently credible in his own mind!

He's a borderline football messiah.

True Story!

BNF.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.