HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What are the Phins greatest needs?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What are the Phins greatest needs?
Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: April 14, 2009 07:11PM

WR and CB.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 14, 2009 07:23PM

There is a lot of talk that we need to upgrade our ILB (Ayodele) this year. I am including myself as one of the talkers but I was curious to see just how our ILB's stacked up against other 3-4 ILB's across the league...

Depending on the scheme, one is generally a run stuffing player (SILcool smiley who is better able to handle offensive linemen and stop running backs when the offense features a running play, while the other is often a smaller, faster player (WILcool smiley who excels in pass coverage. However, the smaller or cover LB should also be able to scrape and plug running lanes.

Scouts Inc. will evaluate the inside linebackers on the following criteria:

1. Versus inside run: Do they step up and fill the hole? Are they physical? Can they take on blocks and shed quickly?

2. Versus outside run: Can they ward off a block? Do they have the speed to get to the sideline? Do they take good angles in pursuit?

3. Blitz/pass rush: Are they a power rusher or a finesse rusher? How is their hand use? Do they have good feet?

4. Key and diagnose: Can they read and react quickly? Do they get a good jump on ball? How are their football instincts?

5. Lateral pursuit: Can they get over trash? How is the movement in their hips? Can they chase sideline to sideline?

6. Tackling: Do they wrap up well? Do they tackle low or high? Are they able to drag down? Do they tackle with power and are they punishing?

7. Pass drop: How are their hips and their turns? Do they get adequate depth? Do they show the ability to play in zone coverage?

8. Pass coverage/hands: Can they cover man-to-man? How are their hips and turns?

Top 13 ILB's ranked by tackles only....

D'Qwell Jackson WILB: 154 T, 2 SK, 3 INT, 9 PD, 0 FF
James Farrior SILB: 133 T, 3.5 Sk, 0 INT, 0 PD, 1 FF
Jerod Mayo SILB: 128 T, 0 sk, 0 INT, 0 PD, 1 FF
Eric Barton SILB 119 T, 1.5 sk, 0 INT, 0 PD, 1 FF
Ray Lewis SILB: 119 T, 3.5 sk, 3 INT, 12 PD, 2 FF
Bradie James SILB: 116 T, 8 sk, 0, INT, 0 PD, 3 FF
Channing Crowder WILB: 113 T, 0 sk, 0 INT, 0 PD, 1 FF
Stephen Cooper SILB: 98 T, 1.5 sk, 4 INT, 10 PD, 0 FF
Zach Thomas WILB: 94 T, 1 sk, 0 INT, 0 PD, 0 FF
Andra Davis SILB: 90 T, 0 sk, 1 INT, 4 PD, 0 FF
Bart Scott WILB 82 T, 1.5 sk, 0 INT, 0 PD, 2 FF
Akin Ayodele SILB: 75 T, 0 sk, 2 INT, 6 PD, 0 FF
Tedy Bruschi WILB: 75 T, 0 sk, 0 INT, 0 PD, 0 FF

If you notice, the top 5 ILB's in tackles were playing behind Pro Bowl Nose Tackles and they were mostly playing the strong side.

Of those players I am not sure who came off the field in the nickle except for Thomas and Ayodele. It is usually the SILB that comes off unless they are a 3 down player like Lewis and Bradie James.

According to CBS web site, players are ranked based on various offensive and defensive statistics. Players increase their scores with every contribution they make to the game.

They have the ILB's ranked as follows according to that criteria. This is for 3-4 ILB's only. (Patrick Willis and Takeo Spikes ran in the hybrid system and were left out)

1 D'Qwell Jackson
2T Ray Lewis
2T Bradie James
3 Channing Crowder
4 James Farrior
5 Jerod Mayo
6 Eric Barton
7 Zach Thomas
8 Stephen Cooper
9 Akin Ayodele
10 Andra Davis
11 Bart Scott
12 David Harris
13 Larry Foote
14 Kevin Burnette
15 Teddi Bruschi

This sort of shows me that...

1. Bart Scott is over rated and I'm glad we have CC instead.
2. Ray Lewis is still the ****.
3. Akin Ayodele isn't as bad as most would think although, for a SILB, he did not make a lot of tackles, even considering he came out in nickel situations.
4. We could use and upgrade at SILB.
5. The point of a 3-4 defense is to confuse the offense so they do not know where the pass rush or blitzing LB'er is coming from and we could use another ILB with pass and rush blitzing ability.
6. There are a few OLB's and pass rushers in the draft that have the ideal size to play ILB in a 3-4 and could be utilized there.
7. Players like Clay Mathews, Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Clint Sintim, Cody Brown and Jasper Brinkley are all options and we are not stuck trying to land Laurinaitis or Maualuga to play inside.
8. Crowder is our weak side and nickle LB'er and had ZERO pass defenses, ZERO int's and ZERO sacks. We may need a better nickle LB'er.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 07:31PM by eesti.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 15, 2009 02:06AM

ILB's always get a lot of tackles, but Crowder doesn't play WILB well. When he roams free he often takes bad angles and ends up with tackles yards down the field when he could have made one for a loss. Ayodele isn't terrible, but he's average at best. I think Crowder would play well at SILB. He's stronger and faster than Ayodele. What we need is a new player at WILB, a Zach Thomas-type player (which is why I like Larinaitis and Maualuga).

Date: April 15, 2009 05:02AM

That is kinda what I was thinking...move Crowder and get a playmaker at WILB. I don't know that he is bigger and stronger than Ayodele though. They are both the same height and CC is only 5 lbs heavier. It also doesn't mean that he can stack and shed at SILB either.

Usually the SILB makes the most tackles vs the run but Crowder was in the top of the league for tackles on the weak side.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 15, 2009 08:04AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is kinda what I was thinking...move Crowder
> and get a playmaker at WILB. I don't know that he
> is bigger and stronger than Ayodele though. They
> are both the same height and CC is only 5 lbs
> heavier. It also doesn't mean that he can stack
> and shed at SILB either.
>
> Usually the SILB makes the most tackles vs the run
> but Crowder was in the top of the league for
> tackles on the weak side.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Crowder played the SILB position under Dom Capers when we lined up in a 3-4 (with JT at OLcool smiley. I also remember hearing people laud him as a possible ProBowler at that position. It didn't hurt to have Zach next to him!

Date: April 15, 2009 08:30AM

That is true. I kind of forgot about that. Maybe that is where he should be. I don't remember the pro bowl talk though.

That year he had 61 tackles, 4 pass defenses, 1 FF and 1 sack. That is less than Ayodele in 08....for whatever reason. It was his first year in a 3-4 but it was for Zach as well who had 101 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 int, 8 PD and 2 FF's...and made first team all pro along with JT.

We still need to draft someone good enough to move CC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2009 08:32AM by eesti.

Posted by: Kfresh01 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 12:00PM

eesti Wrote:
> and get a playmaker at WILB. I don't know that he
> is bigger and stronger than Ayodele though. They
> are both the same height and CC is only 5 lbs
> heavier. It also doesn't mean that he can stack
> and shed at SILB either.
>
> Usually the SILB makes the most tackles vs the run
> but Crowder was in the top of the league for
> tackles on the weak side.

In another post you made it sound like I was crazy for suggesting moving Crowder to the outside. Now it makes sense when you say it in your own words?

Date: April 15, 2009 12:23PM

I am not saying for him to move to the outside. I am saying it is conceivable for him to move to Strong side INSIDE Linebacker from the weak side. read the post.

Posted by: Kfresh01 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 05:53PM

eesti Wrote:
> and get a playmaker at WILB.

doesn't say where you're moving him. Maybe you should read what you write before you post.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.