HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What are the Phins greatest needs?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What are the Phins greatest needs?
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:18AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are the Phins greatest needs?
Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 10, 2009 12:05PM

CB, ILB,NT,WR, OLB, Special Teams

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 10, 2009 01:42PM

Nice assessment Northeast, but I don't think OLB leapfrogs ILB even if Wake is a bust. We still have a lot more depth at OLB than ILB.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 10, 2009 01:44PM

Date: April 10, 2009 02:05PM

Date: April 10, 2009 07:45PM

first three picks will be clay mathews, sean smith and pat white. i bet all kinds of money. why pat white as our third pick, is if he is still there versatility, thats why and thats what the big 3 look for a versatile weapon. at a decent price. i would say robieskie as the third but he wont be there i think the bears will take him, with there 2nd round pick, if they dont then our 4th pick if he is there will be robiskie, then either a nt or o guard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 07:49PM by dolphinsnumberonestunner.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 10, 2009 08:44PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 11, 2009 01:51AM

1. CB
2. NT
3. MLB
4. OLB
5. WR
6. OL

Just how I see it, either way we need alot more players mostly across the whole D. Look for most of this years draft to be on the defensive side of the ball.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 11, 2009 01:55AM

I'm always disappointed when teams don't draft with the strength of the draft in mind. This is a good draft for big, fast, receivers. Which we do need. So while I agree to pick up some projects in later rounds, I also definitely 100 percent positively want to pick up a WR as one of the first three picks. This is not a deep draft for NT. Next year will be.

So hopefully, we come out of this draft with a premium WR, a good OLB (draft is full of them), some corners, some help at ILB, and depth on the lines. The recent news stories are all about Dolphins trading players for more picks. I think that would be great. I think players like Roth are not good enough and not for the future.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 11, 2009 05:35AM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 11, 2009 06:14AM

2 weeks from NOW. eye popping smiley

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 11, 2009 12:33PM

WR
CB
OLB
NT
TE
ILB

Here's why WR is such a priority. Number one, our running game suffers because of our weak passing game. We need a WR that the defense fears, for his size and his ability to make plays downfield. Right now, teams play 8, 9, or even 10 men in the box against us because they do not fear our passing game. Ted Ginn is not physical enough to consistently beat the jam, and neither Camarillo nor Bess will ever be anything more than decent slot guys. We need another WR for our passing game to take another step, and in the process, it will force the defense to back off the line of scrimmage and open up the running game. And the reason why we need to pick a WR this year is because it takes time for WR to develop in the NFL. I think everyone would agree that this is year two of building our foundation, and that as far as being a legit contender, we're looking at 2010 and beyond. For that reason, you need the #1 WR on the roster now to give him time to develop so that he's a major factor in 2010 and beyond. And for anyone who doubts we are going to draft a WR in the first 2 rounds, the Trifecta did not go on that recent little WR scouting trip just for fun. Parcells doesn't like to fly. And yet, he flew to check out those top WR. And they brought Chad Henne along to throw to them. One of our top two choices will be Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks, Darrius Heyward-Bey, or Brian Robiskie.

CB is an obvious need. We have one starting caliber player, and he's a free agent after this season.

OLB- we need someone to challenge Cameron Wake because you don't really know how well he'll adjust to the NFL. And Joey Porter is getting old, and was really one dimensional in 2008. He only had 36 tackles this season, and in 4 of the last 6 games registered 1 tackles or less (0 against KC). Porter is not a long term answer or us, and we need to find his replacement as well. Best case scenario is that Wake is the real deal, and we draft Porter's replacement this year.

NT- Paul Soliai doesn't look like the NT of the future, and we need someone for that role. One will be hard to find in this draft. Everyone raves talks about Ron Brace, but he's always played in a 4-3 next to Raji.

TE- Both Fasano and Martin are free agents at the end of the season. I can't see us spending the money to sign both, especially not when Martin will be 31 in 2010. I wouldn't be surprised to see us address TE in the 3rd or 4th round.

ILB- Akin Ayodele is a free agent after the season, and he also will be on the wrong side of 30. We could use a player here to groom as his replacement, or as Crowder's replacement, with Crowder sliding to Ayodele's spot.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see us take a RB. Ricky's a free agent after next season. I think we'll draft more than one corner, taking one early and one developmental guy late in the draft.

Date: April 11, 2009 03:20PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem is the mention of our change in need
> depending if Solaia or Wake can be "players".
>
> We won't know if they are players until after the
> draft so the draft need does not change.

I think Parcells, Ireland and Sparano probably know what to expect out of these guys in 2009.

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: April 11, 2009 03:39PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:

>
>Look for most of this years draft to be on the defensive side of
> the ball.

Fantastic insight right there. Great insider information.

Date: April 11, 2009 04:38PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The problem is the mention of our change in
> need
> > depending if Solaia or Wake can be "players".
> >
> > We won't know if they are players until after
> the
> > draft so the draft need does not change.
>
>
> I think Parcells, Ireland and Sparano probably
> know what to expect out of these guys in 2009.

If they knew that much, than every player would come in and light things up. perfect example...Ernest Wilford. They probably know what to expect from Solaia but not so much from Wake.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 11, 2009 05:09PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> OLB- we need someone to challenge Cameron Wake
> because you don't really know how well he'll
> adjust to the NFL.
Did you forget about our starter last year? Roth will challenge Wake. We also have Anderson and Moses and, possibly, even Torbor (who played OLB in a 4-3).

> NT- Paul Soliai doesn't look like the NT of the
> future, and we need someone for that role.
He's got the size, and he seemed to be coming on at the end of last year.

> TE- Both Fasano and Martin are free agents at the
> end of the season. I can't see us spending the
> money to sign both, especially not when Martin
> will be 31 in 2010. I wouldn't be surprised to see
> us address TE in the 3rd or 4th round.
I'd be shocked if they didn't try to sign Fasano to a long-term contract sometime during the year, but I agree we should address TE in the draft. 4th or 5th round, I think.

> ILB- Akin Ayodele is a free agent after the
> season, and he also will be on the wrong side of
> 30. We could use a player here to groom as his
> replacement, or as Crowder's replacement, with
> Crowder sliding to Ayodele's spot.
Ayodele just isn't that good. I have a feeling Crowder WILL slide into Ayodele's spot, but it will happen this coming year. I'm hoping we draft an impact ILB to take over for Crowder and be the next great Dolphin ILB.

> I also wouldn't be surprised to see us take a RB.
> Ricky's a free agent after next season. I think
> we'll draft more than one corner, taking one early
> and one developmental guy late in the draft.
Maybe we'll get a steal in the 6th or 7th round, but drafting one earlier would be a waste. Ronnie still has many good years ahead of him, and Cobb played well last year. We also still have Hilliard (whom we drafted last year) on the active roster. Perhaps an impact FB would make more sense.

Date: April 11, 2009 05:51PM

eesti Wrote:
> Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> -----
> > eesti Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The problem is the mention of our change in
> > need
> > > depending if Solaia or Wake can be "players".
> > >
> > > We won't know if they are players until after
> > the
> > > draft so the draft need does not change.
> >
> >
> > I think Parcells, Ireland and Sparano probably
> > know what to expect out of these guys in 2009.
>
>
> If they knew that much, than every player would
> come in and light things up. perfect
> example...Ernest Wilford. They probably know what
> to expect from Solaia but not so much from Wake.

I think more often than not they have a good idea of what a guy can do. That doesn't mean every player will come in and light things up. Some guys are brought in for depth or simply because they have some experience. Others are signed or drafted with the thought that they will help the team in the future. Others are brought in simply because they are what we can afford at the time or are the best available option at the time. Wilford was the one real bust from last year; but that's not a bad percentage when you consider how many new players they brought to the team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2009 05:55PM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 12, 2009 10:08AM

Posted by: Carolina Phin ()
Date: April 12, 2009 10:53AM

WHat is up with Soliai? 6-4 340 is he super slow or something? Hes got great size and he is young, you would think he would be able to hold his position but I remember his rookie season he would get pushed back big time, maybe needs to work on technique to get lower or something...

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 12, 2009 11:41AM

Carolina Phin Wrote:
> WHat is up with Soliai? 6-4 340 is he super slow
> or something? Hes got great size and he is young,
> you would think he would be able to hold his
> position but I remember his rookie season he would
> get pushed back big time, maybe needs to work on
> technique to get lower or something...

The most common explanation is that he doesn't play or practice hard enough. It's not about his size or strength, it's his desire.

Date: April 12, 2009 11:43AM

Paul ran a 5.10 forty at the combine, that’s good for a 335 pounder.

I agree. I think his problem is leverage. I just watched the Miami Houston game from last year and he plays too high. He needs to refine his technique. Like I said before...SIP must see something in him or they wouldn't have put up with his crap last year.

It is not uncommon for DT's to take a few years to mature. Time will tell. 6'4 340 lb NT's are hard to come by.

.....................................................................................

Date: April 12, 2009 04:56PM

I would be surprised if the Phins trade up. I would not be surprised at all if they trade down to get more picks.

Date: April 12, 2009 06:59PM

oh you can bet your pretty booties that there will be some trading im thinking maybe a 2nd or third, and a player for boldin. i have a GREAT feeling about picking up boldin and sticking him with a 4 or 5 year deal.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 13, 2009 03:44AM

Quote:

"Fantastic insight right there. Great insider information."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Why do you waste time with your sarcastic comments? There was no need in that post. What did I do to you?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 13, 2009 04:41AM

I highly doubt the Dophins will give up draft picks for a 29 year old WR like Boldin AND then pay him the 10 mil/year deal that he wants. It goes against their philosophy.

If they are going to get a WR it will be in the draft.

They don't even value WR's that high to begin with so you know they are going to want to build their own. I could see the Dolphins drafting a WR and then signing him to a big contract after his rookie contract is up...IF he is very productive....and when he is still young like 25 years old.

29-30 years old is the time the FO releases high dollar players, not sign them.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 13, 2009 06:30AM

Date: April 13, 2009 10:17AM

he's 28, and looking at wr's now a days they play well up to 35.

Date: April 13, 2009 01:14PM

WRs may play until they are 35, but RBs generally don't. Ronnie is a low mileage guy, but anything beyond age 30 is gravy for a RB in the NFL.

Date: April 13, 2009 04:19PM

There may be a few that play up to 35 but there aren't that many doing it...

Only one of the NFL's top 10 wide receivers in total catches last season was 30 or older. Not since 2001, when Rod Smith of Denver caught 113 passes, has a player older than 30 led the league in receptions. The top 10 wide receivers in 2008 averaged 26.1 years old. The average experience was 4.6 seasons

The 30-something wide receiver certainly hasn't disappeared completely from the NFL, but he has gradually become an endangered species.

Of the 64 starting NFL wide receivers last season, only 19 were 30 or older. Over the past month, 12 wide receivers 30 and older were released for a variety of reasons. Not all were starters, but most enjoyed celebrated careers. The average age of the dropped dozen is 32.9 years, the average NFL tenure is 10.5 seasons.-Len Pasquarelli

Date: April 13, 2009 04:49PM

only one? lets see im not sure on numbers but moss, owens, coles, mason, had a solid year. holt did ok, but the team? im just saying if we can get a solid one in second round then yeah otherwise no take defensive.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.