Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Vote for the Phins' worst draft pick of all time!!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Vote for the Phins' worst draft pick of all time!!
Posted by: garce911 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 01:29PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vote for the Phins' worst draft pick of all time!!
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 02:57PM

so many to choose from--sammie smith, eric kumerow, fletcher, eddie moore, billy milner, the list goes on

I think i have to go with kumerow or moore. kumerow gets the nod because he was a 1st and moore was a second (tho our first pick that year). kumerow sucked in college and did nothing to merit a first rounder. i remember watching the draft that day and when he was picked the only footage from college they had of him was of him rushing the passer and hitting the QB 1 second AFTER he threw the ball. they had no footage of him actually making a tackle, let alone a sack.
moore also sucked and was not expected to go before the 4th or 5th round. of course wanny took him over bolden and then talked about how he was going to be a great special teams contributer. i rememember after the pick i checked usa today to see where he ranked on their top 10 available LBs and he wasn't even on the list.

i could go on and on about our draft busts!!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 03:53PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 07, 2009 04:37PM

Yatil Green

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 07, 2009 05:01PM

Sammie Smith. Round 1. Pick 9. 1989.

Eric Kumerow. Round 1. Pick 16. 1988.

John Bosa. Round 1. Pick 16. 1987.

Ouch.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 07, 2009 05:03PM

That's 3 bad 1st round picks in a row.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2009 05:07PM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 06:53PM

John Bosa!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 07:19PM

bosa might have been ok but he was always hurt--he's not as bad as people like kumerow and moore and milner who just plained sucked

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 08:29PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yatil Green

Green gets a bad rap... he was a decent pick, but he never saw the field due to injuries, so that isn't a fair judgement.

To me it HAS to be Jamar Fletcher... a complete bust who was widely considered a reach when we picked him... and the worst part is Drew Brees was on the board when QB was one of our biggest needs and was considered a value pick at the slot we took Fletcher at. Just about everyone was flabbergasted that we didn't take Brees, and rightly so, as history has proven.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 08, 2009 01:08AM

How can you not pick Eric Kumerow? What a bust. I don't know why Yatil got so many votes in the poll, he's a WR, they often are problematic, and he got injured right away. Kumerow was a mediocre player, I have no idea why they drafted him. In Dolphin history, I heard the word "tweener" so many times I wanted to barf.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 08, 2009 02:55AM

John Avery was pretty bad as well.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 08, 2009 03:36AM

The worst pick of alltime was sammie smith.....

People called yatil green a bust because of injuries. He had all the talent in the world.

Sammie smith was a bust.

Date: April 08, 2009 04:48AM

grooves12 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yatil Green
>
>
> Green gets a bad rap... he was a decent pick, but
> he never saw the field due to injuries, so that
> isn't a fair judgement.
>
> To me it HAS to be Jamar Fletcher... a complete
> bust who was widely considered a reach when we
> picked him... and the worst part is Drew Brees was
> on the board when QB was one of our biggest needs
> and was considered a value pick at the slot we
> took Fletcher at. Just about everyone was
> flabbergasted that we didn't take Brees, and
> rightly so, as history has proven.

He was the first name that popped in my mind but I'm sure there are worse picks. My reasoning is as follows....

Green caught 42 passes for 669 yards and 3 touchdowns during his last year in college, despite being suspended for the first 2 games of 1996 and sitting out a lot of the time with injuries.

JJ took him knowing this so that's why I listed him. He was drafted based on potential while production was overlooked. This is always a big mistake when you use a first round pick.

How could you say he was a decent pick when he never got on the field? We knew he had a glass body and still took him. At least some of these other players saw the field. This was maybe the worst draft for WR's ever. Derrick Mason (4th round) is the best of the bunch but beyond that...NOTHING of note.

JJ preached and preached about the running game. Richmond Webb was 30 years old and JJ passed on Tarik Glenn, Ross Verba, Tiki Barber, Corey Dillon, Dan Neil, Priest Holmes and Matt Lepsis and Joe Andruzzi.

I suppose it could have been worse....we could have taken Rae Carruth.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 08, 2009 05:00AM

> Eddie Morre was a 2nd round pick in 2003.
> Although I can certainly understand why he should
> be in the running since we passed on Anquan Boldin
> to take him. sad smiley

Like the Eddie Moore pick instead of Boldin, a bust is also influence by the opportunity cost of that pick. Therefore, my bust pick is that of Jamar Fletcher since we passed on the obvious choice of Drew Brees. Wannstedt couldn't out pick the proverbial blind squirrel.

Date: April 08, 2009 05:18AM

Here is another nominee...

DOLPHINS TRADE NO. 1 PICK (25TH) AND FOURTH-ROUND PICK (125TH) IN 2002 AND NO. 1 PICK (18TH) IN 2003 TO NEW ORLEANS FOR RICKY WILLIAMS AND FOURTH-ROUND PICK (114) IN 2002.

All of this for a measley TWO 1000 yard seasons and a bunch of headaches.

With the 25th pick in 2002 we could have had....

Clinton Portis or Brian Westbrook

With the 18th pick in 2003 we could have had....

Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson, Nnamdi Asomugha.

Another terrible pick was definitely Eddie Moore. There were only about 3 out of the first 20 LB'ers taken that amounted to anything. 5 out of 28 LB'ers that year were good players. The rest...sucked.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 08, 2009 06:33AM

Date: April 08, 2009 06:46AM

Sammie had a season with over 800 yards and 9 TD's. He has 1,800 yards and 16 TD's for his career in Miami.

Yatil Green stats....1 reception for 18 yards! I don't care how talented you are or how fast you can run. If you can't get on the field, you are useless.

Date: April 08, 2009 06:53AM

eesti Wrote:
> Sammie had a season with over 800 yards and 9
> TD's. He has 1,800 yards and 16 TD's for his
> career in Miami.

Sammie smith sucked!!!

Sorry but that is my opinion.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 08, 2009 07:30AM

eesti Wrote:
> Yatil Green stats....1 reception for 18 yards! I
> don't care how talented you are or how fast you
> can run. If you can't get on the field, you are
> useless.

Yeah, but I heard he was voted MVP of the training room drinking smiley

Date: April 08, 2009 07:32AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> -----
> > Sammie had a season with over 800 yards and 9
> > TD's. He has 1,800 yards and 16 TD's for his
> > career in Miami.
>
> Sammie smith sucked!!!
>
> Sorry but that is my opinion.

You'll get no argument from me but that is not the discussion.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 08, 2009 08:36AM

Sammie Smith and Jamar Fletcher and the dissapointment and tragedy of David Overstreet early death in a car accident.

Date: April 08, 2009 08:51AM

John Beck

Date: April 08, 2009 08:54AM

eesti Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> -----
> > eesti Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Sammie had a season with over 800 yards and 9
> > > TD's. He has 1,800 yards and 16 TD's for his
> > > career in Miami.
> >
> > Sammie smith sucked!!!
> >
> > Sorry but that is my opinion.
>
> You'll get no argument from me but that is not the
> discussion.

Yes it is!........To me sammie smith is the miami dolphins worst pick of all time...............whatever yardage he had was because of miamis back then talented OLs.....OH and THE QB TOO........Even talentless ( Who got fingered tackled at times) karim abdull jabbar did well behind the back then great miami OLs. I think he had like 20 TDS one season or something like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2009 08:55AM by samsam3738.

Date: April 08, 2009 09:45AM

I was talking about you stating that he sucked. Yes, I agree he sucked. The argument was not whether he sucked but whether he sucked more than any other draftee. Obviously you think he does by your last post but prior to that you just said he sucked.

Smith had 100 times more production than Green.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 08, 2009 09:56AM

I voted for John Avery. Green COULD HAVE BEEN a good WR, if not for injuries. Injuries are nearly impossible to predict, so I can't fault JJ as much for taking Green as I can for taking Avery (who wasn't worth a 1st rounder!).

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:02AM

Don't know other teams' draft histories as well, but I would think we've had one of the worst 9-year runs for top picks ever.

1995 - Billy Milner - started 9 games in 2 years w/us...out of football in 4...got us a pretty good TE in trade
1996 - Gardner - pretty darn good until he went mental
1997 - Yatil - someone mentioned 1 catch for 18 yards, it was actually 1 start, 18 receptions, 234 yards...stellar.
1998 - John Avery - 17 games, no starts, traded for another 1st-round bust
1999 - JJ Johnson - 5 starts and almost 750 yards in 2.5 seasons with us.
2000 - Todd Wade - solid pick in 2nd round. Very durable for us, started everywhere he's been except last season w/Jax. Notable because his departure paved the way for us to pick up Carey out of need instead of Wilfork (I'm glad we have Carey, btw, but we did draft out of need from our own doing)
2001 - Jamar - Thank goodness we didn't waste a pick on Brees
2002 - Seth McKinney - less about the pick, more about Wanny's penchant for giving them away until our first pick is in the 3rd round
2003 - Eddie Moore - why bother to pick Boldin when you don't have a Brees who can get him the ball? Oh, right...because your GM and everyone with a clue tells you to. 2 decent ZT games = this guy's whole career.

The mere fact that Carey, Brown, Allen, Ginn and Long are all starting or at least competing for a starting position speak volumes about our improved effectiveness in drafting at the top. Brown & Long have been pro-bowlers...Carey was considered the premier RT on the FA market this year...Ginn's year 1 to year 2 improvement was very good. Now it's nothing like the days when Griese, Zonk, Kiick, Morris, Anderson and Scott were all picked up in the space of just a couple of drafts, but we've seemingly improved, which is foundational to a team that is going to be competitive in the long-term.

Date: April 08, 2009 11:43AM

I didn't think Gardner ever went mental on the Dolphins. He was a stud run stopper. Then he had back problems, which is why we didn't resign him when he was a FA. Then steriods later on after back injury made him do some crazy shit. But we had 6 or so awesome years with the guy. Gardner should be mentioned as one of our better 1st rd picks, not worse. I hope we find a good 1st or 2nd rd DT in the near future that can gives us good years like Gardner...

Date: April 08, 2009 11:52AM

ps- Jason Allen does not belong in that group. He is still a questionable 1sr rd bust IMO. Carey, Brown, Ginn, Long!! ...Saban was still in love with Allen from High School and was a huge reach, with his hip injury. Rotating Hips are crucial to playing CB. He came in and was awful at those rotating hip drills while backpeddaling.... I still don't think he will ever be a good starting CB in this league, which is why he was drafted where he was drafted by knucklhead Nick. Brown was a no brainer, everbody had him #2 on the board

Posted by: phinfanjake ()
Date: April 08, 2009 01:59PM

I say its Sammie Smith. Milner sucked as well. The most upsetting pick is Fletcher. I wanted Brees (didn't every dolphins fan?)! I remember the reasoning: Miami has to play Indy twice a year and so needs a nickel corner. Not even a starter. Blah

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: April 08, 2009 02:13PM

sorry - i thought Gardner went mental with us. i do remember him and T-Bo being a really great duo and huge parts of what was a very good, if not great, defense. He was certainly the best pick among that group by a long shot.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.