HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Extended Regular Season
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Extended Regular Season
Posted by: NJ Dolfan ()
Date: March 26, 2009 04:27AM

Well, it looks as if Goodell is in favor of extending the regular season to 17 or 18 games as early as 2011. Of course a lot of things need to happen before that becomes a reality, like a new CBA for one, but it got me thinking.

I know Jimmy Johnson was a big proponent of eliminating players from being "inactive" during a game. He believed that if you were on the team, you should be eligible to play every week. It would help keep injuries down especially to star players as they would not be playing special teams (or not playing them as much).

I was thinking that this would be a perfect time for this to be brought back up and enacted. If the schedule moved to 17 or 18 regular season games, that is a lot of extra wear and tear on these guys(especially ones who end up going deep into the playoffs). By having all players active, there could be more people rotated in, less star players on ST, etc. It also would help developing players come along more quickly by exposing them to real NFL game action and not just practice.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extended Regular Season
Date: March 26, 2009 06:07AM

thoughts? not a bad idea but not much more wear and tear, why they will take out two preseaon games and make them regular season games, extending it too 18 so?

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: March 26, 2009 06:11AM

The NFL just plan sucks anymore. The season is already to long.

The worst part of the NFL is constant rule changes. Now a player that is down can't tackle a QB, WTF is that? I get so sick of rule changes, leave the dam game alone!!hot smileythumbs down

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 26, 2009 06:18AM

No doubt. With all of the rule changes, this would be like watching 18 games of flag football.

Date: March 26, 2009 06:20AM

i agree your about too see alot of people stop watching football, expecialy with these HORRIBLE rule changes, and stupid game match ups, like thanksgiving this year, yeah im not going to be watching 4 teams who wont be going too the big game this year, DALLAS AND OAKLAND? WTF!!! and greenbay and detroit, its a waist. im done with goodell WE NEED A NEW COMISIONER. whats the point im going to stop watching in a few years do to the constant PANSY BS.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 06:55AM

Pathetic. The season is 16 games long plus playoffs and i believe its enough games......There would be way too many injuries in a 17-18 game season....

I have an idea......How about extending the number of players you can field in a game from 53 to 65 or something like that.

There needs to be more players in a team to account for injuries.

As it is, you see teams signing free agents mid season throught in order to keep up with injuries.

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 07:22AM

The NFL season is BY FAR the shortest in professional sports... which is confusing being as it is the most popular among the mainstream team sports.

Plus, this really isn't making the season longer (for the players) it is taking two meaningless games nobody cares to watch, and making them competitive. Personally I like it, and don't see how anyone who is a fan of football can think otherwise.

Hell, lets make a proposal to go BACK to 14 games... would THAT be better?? How about only FOUR teams make the playoffs?? That would shorten the season too.

I HATE the offseason... it is unbearable, and anything that shortens the offseason is good news in my book.

Posted by: NJ Dolfan ()
Date: March 26, 2009 07:25AM

dolphinsnumberonestunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thoughts? not a bad idea but not much more wear
> and tear, why they will take out two preseaon
> games and make them regular season games,
> extending it too 18 so?

This is what they are planning on doing. We will end up with maybe 2 or 3 preseason games (depending on a 18 or 17 game regular season respectively)

The regular and "star" players will end up playing more, as most don't play a full preseason game now.

If they went to an 18 game season, the regular players will most likely play all or most of the 2 preseason games they have so they are in game shape, and then they have 2 more regular season games. To me that equates to a hell of a lot more playing time.

This isn't too mention a shorter off-season to recover from the off-season surgical procedures most of these guys go through.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 26, 2009 07:35AM

Eliminating 2 preseason games will all but kill the chance for undrafted players to make a team. What opportunity will they have to prove themselves? Teams will stick with their vets and draft picks because they've invested time and money in them. The undrafted guys won't get an opportunity to beat them out.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:34AM

It's all about the cash!

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:40AM

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 26, 2009 11:18AM

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 01:21PM

Imagine what the rest of the league, especially the AFC East teams, when they look at the schedule and see they don't have to play at Miami in September, but in Ausgust instead!!!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 05:16PM

Date: March 26, 2009 07:50PM

look we dont need pro days and stupid combine stuff so far apart, i want 17 games that leaves 3 preseason games, and cut the offseason short by 2 weeks, make a combine two weeks long and give a redue if injured 3 weeks before draft for 4 days, BAM BABY and i feel 60 people on a team would be beautiful and cuttting salaries and droping rookie salaries is a must. im not paying 100 plus for a god damn ticket!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 27, 2009 07:47AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> The simplest way to do it is to eliminate the
> Super Bowl bye week, assuming they are adding one
> game.
>
> This way the playoffs start a week later but the
> season starts the same weekend after Labor Day and
> the Super Bowl isn't pushed any farther into
> February.

Aren't they already eliminating that week by putting the Pro Bowl there?

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 27, 2009 07:56AM

Date: March 27, 2009 08:13AM

The thing to keep in mind when talks about extending the season come up, is that it is largely about economics.

A 17-week schedule complicated the economics for teams because it means that half the teams would have 1 less home game than the other half of the league. This makes those teams generate less revenue that year... so how do you resolve that issue?? I don't think alternating between the extra home game going to the AFC/NFC will be enough of a resolution for the owners. So, the only way I see the 17-game schedule occurring is if the NFL plans to play 18 neutral-site games a year... but personally I don't think that will happen because I don't think the NFL isn't ready for that, especially with the economy down and the costs of planning and playing a game in a foreign country are pretty steep.

So, to me I think we see an 18 game season, that keeps the home/away games even, with the two extra game likely to be inter-conference games based on the prior years finish. This keeps scheduling neat and even and has the positive side-effect of allowing more inter-conference games. Personally I think if they combine this with 2 bye weeks (which means more TV money for the NFL) it would be pretty sweet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 08:12PM by grooves12.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 27, 2009 09:14AM

The NFL and the owners are getting greedy. This is way too many games. Look at how college players already hit the rookie wall after 12 games. It is perfect right now.

I would love to have more games to watch but not at the risk of injuries and fatigued players. It is a ridiculous idea and does not consider the players at all.

There is no off season in the NFL for players and staff as it stands now....and adding more games just makes it worse.

Selfish idea.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 27, 2009 08:22PM

eesti Wrote:
> The NFL and the owners are getting greedy. This
> is way too many games. Look at how college
> players already hit the rookie wall after 12
> games. It is perfect right now.
>
> I would love to have more games to watch but not
> at the risk of injuries and fatigued players. It
> is a ridiculous idea and does not consider the
> players at all.

I think this argument is LARGELY overblown... injuries are usually freak occurrences, and really a majority of them seem to happen early in the year or in the offseason... to me that says those guys are not keeping their conditioning up to par. An extra game or two (which really isn't extra since it will replace a pre-season game) won't drastically change the number of injuries in my opinion.

Did Larry Fitzgerald look run down to you in the playoffs/Super Bowl?? Because to me he looked as good as day one of the season (if not better) as did just about every player participating and playing in the postseason.

Other professional sports play many more games (including the NHL which is just as, if not more so, physically demanding as the NFL) and they don't have problems with injuries and wearing down, so I really don't think upping the intensity of two games already on their schedule will kill them.

> There is no off season in the NFL for players and
> staff as it stands now....and adding more games
> just makes it worse.
>
> Selfish idea.

No offseason?? Try telling that to NHL players who play an 82 game season with the potential of up to 28 more games in the postseason. The Stanley Cup Finals end in June and they are playing preseason games at the beginning of September.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 08:27PM by grooves12.

Date: March 28, 2009 08:09AM

All I know is what I hear from players like Rod Woodson who is the one that said by the end of the season, you are worn out. So tell him that he was just not conditioned or tough enough.

What is the NHL? Never hear of it. Isn't that like team figure skating or something?

.....................................................................................

Date: March 28, 2009 09:35AM

i dont give a damn how run down and tired i was, the money you get payed to play stop bitching , id love to get beat up as practice squad just for the money alone, good god, its like everyone has gone soft, i miss the football of the 20's nfl then ment shit and people played cause it was fun, now its a bunch of bitch's complaining about salary. and contract extensions, like a damn soap opera. booo hoooo the season is too long boo hooo i didnt get an extra 2 million in bonus boo hoo my vagina is weeping. boo hooo he wants to trade me so instead of working harder im just going to say trade my premadona butt to another team denver. boo hoooo im tom brady and i was standing tall in a pocket but a defender hit my leg and i got injured booo hooo now you cant come after me bo hoooo. good god! "you know pro footballer's? bunch of bitchy little girls".

Date: March 28, 2009 10:01AM

You miss the 20's? yeah right.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 29, 2009 09:20AM

Bah humbug Leon. I like having more games that count - to me its a good thing.

As for hitting the QB on the ground... Agree those kind of rules are stupid, but really doesn't have a huge effect on the game.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 29, 2009 11:16AM

Agreed.

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: March 29, 2009 12:40PM

The regular season is too short. I wish there would be more games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO PHINS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.