HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Another AFC East title?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Another AFC East title?
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 19, 2009 06:10AM

IMO...the number 1 priority this season is to beat the NE patriots. They are the team to beat if we want to advance to the playoffs. We have to get by them first before we worry about Pittsburgh or whatever team is on top next year. At the same time, if we gear up to beat the Pats, we will also be giving ourseleves the tools to beat anyone else.

I don't think you can look at our schedule and say it is brutal because the turnover in playoff teams is so drastic from year to year. Look at last year and the "Cinderella" teams compared to the favorites who floundered.

There is only ONE way to beat the Patriots. Contain Tom Brady. There are only a few ways to contain Tom Brady.

1. Pass rush/force turnovers
2. Run the ball effectively to keep Brady off the field.
3. Do not give up big scoring plays.

Going back to Brady's last 5 losses (probably more) there are a few common denominators that have lead to a NE loss.

2007 Super Bowl game. NY 17 NE 14: (pass rush)

The Giants had 5 sacks on Brady and kept pressure on him all day. NY got only 1 int and 1 FF but they harrassed Brady into errant throws all day and did not give up a big scoring play.

2006 Den 17 NE 20: (run the ball)

Tom Brady threw for 320 yards and 1 TD and was not pressured much all day but Tatum Bell ran for 123 yards on 27 carries. Denver controlled the time of possession by 3 minutes and did not give up the big play.

2006 Ind 27 NE 20: (pass rush)

Brady threw for 201 yards, 4 ints and no TD's.

2006 NYJ 17 NE 14: (pass rush)

Jets had 4 sacks, 1 int and 2 FF.

2006 Mia 21 NE 0:

If you notice, this game was not as close as the other losses. This was because Miami ran the ball well AND forced turnovers.

Sammy Morris had 123 yards and 1 TD on 25 carries.

Crowder forced a fumble to Will Allen.

Yeremiah Bell forced and recovered a fumble after a sack.

Jason Taylor forced a fumble after a sack and Zgonia recovered.

So what have we done to be able to compete with NE and Tom Brady?

1. We signed Yeremiah Bell and Gibril Wilson. Good WR's are going to get their share of passes but having two quality safeties will keep Miami from giving up big plays over the top and limit the WR to the catch instead of a TD. Now our red zone defense can take over which was among the best in the league.

2. Our front 7 comes back with the same players plus the addition of Cameron Wake and probably an early round LB'er. Langford and Merling should be better in their 2nd year in the same system. Same goes for Randy Starks who plays NT on 3rd downs. It was his first year in a 3-4. Same goes for Matt Roth who was under rated in his FIRST year at LB'er. He had 53 tackles, 5 sacks and 2 FF's which is pretty good for a SOLB. Especially a first year SOLB.

3. The two Jakes. We tried to upgrade at Center with Jake Grove. Jake Long will be better this year after getting his rookie mistakes out of the way early last year. Our two starting guards will be back this year.

Everyone says how lucky we were last year with injuries but we lost our two starting guards and a starting WR. Jax lost their two starting guards and people made excuses for their failure to run the ball all year.

We also have better depth this year on the line to protect us from injury. Satele and Berger.

Ronnie Brown will be 2 seasons removed from his torn ACL and we all know it takes two years for a full recovery. He didn't look too bad last year.

We still have work to do with our pass rush, CB and WR.

Percy Harvin or Hakeem Nicks and Darius Butler or Sean Smith would help a lot.

The Jets are next on the list followed by Buffalo. The Jets should have a top 10 defense this year but then again...so should we.

We were ranked 15th last year, The Jets ranked 16th and the Bills ranked 14th in overall defense.

2008 Defensive rankings...
Pass: NE-11,Buf-13,Mia-25,NY29
Rush: NYJ-7, Mia-10, NE-15, Buf-22

I think the Jets (on paper) improved more than us, the Bills improved less. The good part is the Jets will be in a different system with a new HC and Def. Coord.

We have the edge on both in offense.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2009 06:19AM by eesti.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another AFC East title?
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 19, 2009 06:16AM

I agree that beating the Patsies is a must. That really emphasizes to me the importance of bolstering our pass rush. Brady kills teams that get no pass rush. He really struggles against a consistent rush.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 05:27AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Brady kills teams that
> get no pass rush. He really struggles against a
> consistent rush.

Thats the key to beating new england. A great pass rush. The giants showed us that.

If brady isn't ready then new england is in trouble.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 21, 2009 11:10PM

Beating New England is always definitely a must.

But damn we have a brutal schedule this season. NFC South, Steelers, Tennessee, so on and so on...Good God.

I think we can do it though. I have a lot of faith with what Parcells is doing here.

Date: March 23, 2009 04:49AM

the only team that im worried about is the pats. but with cameron wake and porter? if they both came on a blitz you cant double team both of em, if you do then? well i feel for brady next year, i think we are going to eat him alive, especialy if we pick up clay mathew's.

Date: March 23, 2009 06:09AM

You can also worry about the Jets if they find a decent QB. They have drastically improved their 16th ranked defense and have also drastically improved the defensive coaching. Bob Sutton is no longer running the underachieving unit. They hired Mike Pettine, a former Ravens assistant to implement Rex Ryans innovative defense. Once they learn the new system, they will be a force.

Don't forget that Thomas Jones led the AFC in rushing last year and they have a pretty good oline but could use help on the right side.

With a few nice 09 draft picks, (17, 53, 76, 111) they should be able to land some nice talent.

It is going to be a tight division.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 23, 2009 08:18AM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beating New England is always definitely a must.
>
> But damn we have a brutal schedule this season.
> NFC South, Steelers, Tennessee, so on and so
> on...Good God.
>
> I think we can do it though. I have a lot of faith
> with what Parcells is doing here.

We will play a lot of very physical teams. The immediate concern for each game is getting a W. The other factor to consider is injuries. The Titans and Steelers hurt people.

We need a very strong front seven and a very strong offensive line. I hope we continue to focus on that in the draft.

Date: March 23, 2009 08:55AM

The Titans may have a totally different defense without Haynesworth. He made everyone on that defense better. Kearse and Vanden Bosch combined for 7 sacks and 58 tackles with him. What will they do without him?

I do agree about the front 7's though.

Date: March 23, 2009 08:58AM

That's true. Losing Haynesworth is huge.

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: March 29, 2009 12:57PM

Good that they lost haynesworth. We play them this year. He made a big difference to that team.

Date: March 29, 2009 01:52PM

im not worried at all we will be healthy, hopefully stay that way, we will have a better defense, and our offense will be more gelled and if we take a solid number 1 wr, with pennington who is already started his offseason workouts, lol dont worry people we will be 12.4 im tellyou im great at picking numbers of wins.

Date: March 30, 2009 05:42AM

OOH-RAH!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.