HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jonathon martin speaks out tonight...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Jonathon martin speaks out tonight...
Date: February 01, 2014 05:07AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know the cap ramifications/savings for
> flushing Martin down the toilet?

I wish his dad had done that 24 yrs ago.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 01, 2014 05:11AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 01, 2014 05:23AM

we are such pu$$ies we won't let it get to that. we are afraid of Martin refusing to show up and forcing us to not pay him, b/c you are right he will sue and say he can't show up b/c the phins are not providing him a safe workplace. bogus but ross is a wuss so he won't want to fight that or deal the the pr headache.
what's going to happen is we are going to cut him or trade him to the team of martin's choice (SF or IND) for a conditional 7th rounder--we may need to toss in a 7th of our own to rid ourselves of this nightmare

Date: February 01, 2014 09:58AM

Date: February 01, 2014 10:36AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> we are such pu$$ies we won't let it get to that.
> we are afraid of Martin refusing to show up and
> forcing us to not pay him, b/c you are right he
> will sue and say he can't show up b/c the phins
> are not providing him a safe workplace. bogus but
> ross is a wuss so he won't want to fight that or
> deal the the pr headache

Berk- I imagine his camp is pushing for him to be cut, which would allow him to collect the rest of his prorated signing bonus, and then either attempt to sign with the teams you mentioned so he gets more money... Or he will not even attempt to re enter the NFL at all, and say the Dolphins ruined his future earnings as a result of the drama and bad name he got, which was the Dolphins fault for not providing a safe workplace... That direction offers him the best possible pay check... And since he pretty much sucked, not sure how much potential career and game checks he has left in him strictly based on his skill and rankings as one of the worst tackles in football prior to him abandoning the team.... Since it seems he did what he did because of money and playing the victim.. I imagine that is his m/o, and would expect a similar direction of his future actions/behavior...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 01, 2014 02:55PM

whether we cut him or not he's already been paid his signing bonus and keeps that anyway. the proration issue just has to deal with the cap hit.
his legal case is a big fat zero and once he's off the roster (via trade or cut) I can't see him trying to press it. bottom line is miami needs him gone and if we can't trade him for peanuts we will just cut him. he doesn't want back on the team anyway so he can't complain about being cut. frankly I'd like to see him try to sue the team, if he tried that crap with the Pats or Giants they probably welcome the opportunity to destroy him in court, but like I said Ross is probably a bigger vajajay then even Martin

Date: February 01, 2014 04:09PM

Martin Sues...settles out of court and never plays again. Then Moves to San Francisco .

That's what my crystal ball sees for Mr Martin.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 02, 2014 06:24AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> whether we cut him or not he's already been paid
> his signing bonus and keeps that anyway. the
> proration issue just has to deal with the cap
> hit.

I am not sure about that, that would apply if he was cut.. But if he fails to show up after abandoning the team, then it is him not the team, failing to fulfill the contract.... Just like in the Ricky Williams situation, he owed the Dolphins money after he failed to full fill his contract... Contracts are a 2 way street, if Martin doesn't full fill his end, he can owe the team, the proration of his signing bonus..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 02, 2014 07:49AM

Crystal Ball Part II:

He will use the money won in the lawsuit to open a bar called Teabaggers. Ironically he will get sued for a Hostile work environment after he throws a food tray when workers there complain about his lack of work ethic.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 02, 2014 11:40AM

try to trade to Seattle or San Fran for 2nd or 3rd rounder

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 02, 2014 11:52AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> try to trade to Seattle or San Fran for 2nd or 3rd
> rounder

We'll be lucky to get a conditional 7th rounder for him, no joke.

Date: February 02, 2014 12:12PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> try to trade to Seattle or San Fran for 2nd or 3rd
> rounder

sometimes I wonder the thought process when people say things like this. Martin was rated as the worst OT in the league last year and everyone knows we are not bringing him back next year and basically we need to cut him if we can't find a trade partner. how in the world is any team going to offer a 2d or 3d for the guy, when we weren't going to give up a 2d rounder for a pro bowler like brandon albert last yr?

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 02, 2014 12:25PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> jlyell13 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > try to trade to Seattle or San Fran for 2nd or
> 3rd
> > rounder
>
>
> We'll be lucky to get a conditional 7th rounder
> for him, no joke.

That's probably true.

I think the best case for us is if there happens to be two teams out there that think he's a starting caliber OL in their system.

If that happens then maybe we can get a conditional 2015 pick that would slide between a 4 and a 7 depending on his playing time this year.

I don't think there's any chance at all we get close to the high 2nd we spent on him.

There's just too much risk, no track record of production and waaaaay too much baggage that comes along with acquiring him.

Date: February 02, 2014 12:29PM

I think the best we do is get a 6th in return for martin and a 7th
this guy is toxic and we NEED to dump him so we have zero leverage, plus he sucks as a player, so there's that...

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 02, 2014 12:34PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I think the best we do is get a 6th in return for
> martin and a 7th
> this guy is toxic and we NEED to dump him so we
> have zero leverage, plus he sucks as a player, so
> there's that...

I agree, we have no leverage and he hasn't done anything in the league worthy of a good pick.

Our only play is to tell him we want him back, and have him show up. Then we can tell his agent to go find a team that wants to trade for him.

Chances are he won't find one and we'll end up cutting him before the season. Until then, no reason we can pay him back for all this by making him suffer for his paycheck.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 03, 2014 08:43AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I don't think posting a press release by a lawyer is
> prohibited from posting in full? That is what a
> press release is intended for? Sun Sentinel, just
> took the press release and posted it in full as
> well and then wrote about it...

You're right. If you merely reposted a press release then you're right I didn't have to clip it.

I saw the newspaper link and though you were posting a large excerpt of a copyrighted article.
sorry

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 03, 2014 08:52AM

I'm going to sue that discussion forum owner because those fans infringed on our copyrights! - said no one ever. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:31AM

eesti Wrote:
> I'm going to sue that discussion forum owner
> because those fans infringed on our copyrights! -
> said no one ever. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

You'd be surprised, then.

I know second-hand (friends/acquaintances who have web sites with and without message boards) where the proprietor of the website had received letters from lawyers claiming to represent the author, or the company employing the author, of original material being re-posted on their site.

It never came to a lawsuit, because the material was removed. But the threat to sue was there.

We'd rather not test this in the courts, so we keep it a matter of policy to not copy-and-paste much original material from other sites. Instead we encourage a small excerpt and a link. That way the originator of the text gets additional website hits & traffic, and no annoying letters come from attorneys.

This policy has the added benefit of brief posts--less unoriginal material to scroll through--and encourages people to post their own thoughts rather than someone else's.

Thanks everyone for your understanding.

Date: February 03, 2014 04:24PM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 03, 2014 04:33PM

Well I said early on that it looked like they were friends.

Yeah, despicable. Particularly since it seems that Richie was the only person GENUINELY concerned about him.

We can look out for our legal interests but at some point you have to be a human being and take a stand that there are some things you just WON'T do regardless of your best legal interests.

Slime, really slime. Makes me want to up chuck.

Date: February 03, 2014 04:35PM

I think there needs to be consequences for what Martin pulled. They should go after him for the $$ they paid him from the time he walked out on the team, which they were too pu$$yish to stop paying him in Oct

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 04, 2014 01:08AM

berk, I respect your opinion a lot, but do you honestly think Miami could of played this thing any differently? You had the ever media friendly "bully" word, you had racial overtones and you had whispers (rumors anyway) of gay bashing, Miami would of gotten killed by the national media 100 fold if they would of taken a hard line with Martin from the get go. Sorry my friend, but I don't see how they could of played it any differently

Date: February 04, 2014 03:33AM

They could've put him on the non football injury list as was their right and restored his pay pending the results of the investigation. They got played

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.