HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          This years crop of QB's
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
This years crop of QB's
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 23, 2009 06:06PM

I am so glad we got Henne last year. (can't wait to see him in preseason) The chance of failure for underclassmen QB's is HUGE.

Stafford and Sanchez have a long road ahead of them and I would not want to pick either with a first rounder. Stafford looks like a chubby kid and Sanchez never should have come out this early. 16 starts is not enough to get ready for the NFL. Tebow and Bradford did the right thing by returning. Detroit would be better off waiting for one of them but the Jets might give them a run for the money.

I would put my money on Josh Freeman this year.

If I was Detroit, I would sign Albert Haynesworth and draft Jason Smith at 1, Aaron Maybin, Brandon Pettigrew or Michael Johnson at 20 and then draft Josh Freeman at 33...(stick with Daunte or Kitna for a year). Then grab a pass rusher like Connor Barwin at 65.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This years crop of QB's
Posted by: Saint 55 ()
Date: February 23, 2009 09:59PM

Exactly what I was thinking about this year's QB crop. Feels like there are a ton of QBs all about the same talent-wise, with all needing some development for a couple years. Sanchez did great in college, but he was on a team with how many pro prospects? I dunno, lot of backups and eventual-starters coming out this year, but nobody who blows my mind.

Then again, I almost thought the same thing about Ryan and Flacco last year, and they had an amazing rookie compaign.

Still, I agree that Detroit and other teams needing QBs should draft elsewhere first. Take your QB in later rounds because the talent difference isn't much between them this year. Heck, even Brandstater from Fresno State is projected to go 4th/5th round, and I have no idea why. Sure, he's got the prototypical size, but his numbers were never impressive at Fresno.

Yup yup, Stafford, Freeman, Sanchez, Daniels, blah blah...they all feel the same. Wait, draft one later or pile up draft picks and get your QB next year.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 24, 2009 04:18AM

Quote:

"Stafford looks like a chubby kid"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Have you seen Staffords arm? He looks exactly like Jay Cutler.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 24, 2009 04:40AM

The difference between Ryan/Flacco and this years top two QB's is that Ryan and Flacco were seniors.

Can you think of many underclassmen QB's who are successful in the NFL?

Flacco was not that experienced but seems to be the exception to the rule. It is just too risky for a team with so many needs. Atlanta was very fortunate last year.

This year the QB's are over valued because they are the best of an average group. Stafford is hyped because he has a very strong arm. I guess we will see but history is a great indicator of the future. I would not be shocked if Stafford drops. Both are shorter than projected as well at 6'2.

I might take Stafford at 20 but not at 1.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 24, 2009 07:36PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Stafford and Sanchez have a long road ahead of
> them and I would not want to pick either with a
> first rounder. Stafford looks like a chubby kid
> and Sanchez never should have come out this early.
> 16 starts is not enough to get ready for the NFL.
> Tebow and Bradford did the right thing by
> returning.

Actually I see it differently, I can see why sanchez came out this year I would have done the same thing. Think if you were sanchez, would you want to come out next year with tebow, bradford, colt plus what ever qb has an outstanding season like a max hall (BYU) or any other qb that may have a stellar season and gains first round stock. With a qb crop this weak I personally like the move. He is going to make first round money where next year he would be making low end second maybe even third round if he were to stay another year and struggle...

Also I think bradford and colt are fools for staying another year. I will go on record right now and say one of those two qb's will not be drafted in the first round next year. Right now they were gaurenteed a top 12 pick next year they wont be so lucky cause everyone knows where you go is heavily influenced by how well your team does- (ex. brohn had his best statistical year his senior year (2008 draft) but since louisville did so poor he fell to the second round where if he came out his junior year (2007 draft) he would have been drafted after russell and been a top 10 pick). Now where is he, the number 3 qb behind rogers and flynn. You have to take your opportunities when they are their.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 25, 2009 03:22AM

I agree with Reppa. Alex Smith would never have been a #1 if he had been in the same draft as, say, Eli Manning, etc.. In fact, he probably wouldn't have even been a first rounder.

Posted by: Saint 55 ()
Date: February 25, 2009 04:14AM

Date: February 25, 2009 04:49AM

The point was about being successful in the league not how much money you can get as a rookie. I am not arguing that they did what was better for themselves, for the moment. If all you want is the big payday then come out early but if you want to still be in the league in 10 years then get some more experience.

Most of the time these young QB's shoot themselves in the foot because they are more worried about how high they will be drafted and who is my competition in the draft. If they had they been drafted later, they would be going to a better team and have more of an opportunity to succed. Instead they go to a lousy team with no talent and their confidence is shot after two years.

So... where is Alex Smith now? Sitting on the bench ready to be cut. He came out early, played in 9 games as a rookie (1 TD 11 INTs). 2nd year 16 TD 16 INT's, 3rd year...only the Jets' Kellen Clemens had a poorer passer rating than Smith (57.2). 4th year was beat out by JT O'Sullivan 6th round draft pick) and Shaun Hill (undrafted free agent). Alex Smith has 19 TD's and 31 Int's for his career. I would not be surprised if he is cut or has to take a pay cut in March when he is due an 8 mil bonus.

As for Brian Brohm, he is learning the system from the sidelines just like his predecessor Aaron Rodgers did. Aaron sat for a few years and is now one of the hottest young QB's in the league. Take a look at Brohm in two years when he is starting for a team like the Eagles and then let me know if his decision to return was a mistake.

There is a 62% failure rate for underclassmen QB's entering the NFL!

“I talk about Matt Ryan and I talk about Joe Flacco all the time,” Mayock said. “To me, they were pretty easy for me to do last year. I felt 100% secure with my evaluation on them last year. But they were fifth-year seniors. Now we’re evaluating quarterbacks: Stafford, third-year guy; Sanchez, 16 games as a starter; Freeman, third-year guy; Nate Davis, coming out of Ball State, another junior.” - Mike Mayock

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 25, 2009 07:19AM

yeah but the problem again is opportunity. You can get more seasoned in college but what is the point if you cant get on the field (in the pro's). There are examples either way. Look at cassel, he hasnt started a game what since highschool and he did very well last year (16 less college starts at USC than sanchez). It is possible that sanchez may not be thrown to the wolves. The lions I believe are working (or have worked) out a deal with culpepper. He may be their guy until sanchez/stafford is ready.

The problem is that every year you have a new crop of young qb that coaching staffs get anamored with and the longer you sit on someones roster the more people forget about your talent and game film. I like brohm (as a big east/rutgers alum) and hope him the best but the longer he (and guys like him) sits the more he will become just a journey man like these 8 year guys that suddenly come out of no where and competes for a job then later on you realize that they were a 1, 2 round draft pick 10 years ago... like a todd collins (todd who? redskins qb who outplayed campbell in 2007, took over a 5-7 team and won the last 4 games leading them to a 9-7 record and into the playoffs- turns out he was drafted in the second round in 1995 #45 overall, not bad, infact that is 11 spots ahead of brohm who I believe should be a franchise guy)

Dont mean the keep harping on brohm but the point is in 2007 he controlled his own destiny. he would have the keys to the car and was the franchise guy (like our henni who is waiting). Now he is behind a young rogers and even younger flynn, the reality is he will never be the starter for the packers and he has what a 3 year contract. Who is going to remember a guy three years later and pick them up to be the franchise guy, he will be a journey man trying to 1) get a roster spot and 2) then try and hang around and wait for the starter to either get injured, released, or old.

Date: February 25, 2009 08:04AM

I think Brohm was insurance for Rodgers and is soon to be trade bait. I could see Philly or some other west coast offense team giving up a 2nd rounder for him in the next year or so. He is signed thru 2011. His audition will be this and next preseason.

With all the needs for good QB's I don't think too many teams are going to forget about Chad Henne or Brian Brohm sitting on the bench. Let alone guys like Colt Brennan and how good he has looked. Fans and media may forget but scouts always know who is out there.

Look at Matt Schaub. Sometimes QB's are not ready for a starting gig and need two or three years of training. So a team grooms them for a while then gets a 1st or 2nd round pick (or multiple like Cassel) for a former late rounder.

I agree with you that you have to strike while the iron is hot if you are a college QB but it usually bites you in the arse when you come out early and shortens your career instead of extending it. They start for the first 3 years then end up on somebodies bench as a back up for the rest of their careers (David Carr). This, opposed to the other way around, with sitting first then flourishing for 10 years. The bottom line is if you have talent you are going to play one way or the other.

I don't know...Is it FA signing time yet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.